Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:There's no narrative in Dragon Ball Online. That's not me being hyperbolic. There is literally no story. No characterisation. No resolution of conflict. The best we get from Dragon Ball Online is all the events that take place from end of the Majin Boo arc to when the game takes place.
"216 years after Goku takes Uub to train, the world is now threatened by the evil Time Breakers, led by Mira and Towa, who threat timeline itself. To counter them, a deity known as Kaioshin of Time creates the Time Patrol and their job is to maintain order and correct any alteration in history. Trunks, who have traveled in time before, became a Time Patroller to compensate for that act, as it was not supposed for mere mortal to perform, even if they meant good".

But you are right, there is no story at all in Dragon Ball Online. But hey, surely we can say that Dragon Ball Minus, Movie 15 and Dragon Ball Super have one, correct?

Again, you are saying there is no characterisation and resolution in an unfinished work, Dragon Ball Online was a MMORPG and as such, things happen slowly, but that doesn't matter right? Because we can say that there is characterisation in the very first episode of each series, and in the very first page of each chapter. And we see things being solved quickly.
That's not a story. That's an info dump. That's the kind of context you would get in a guidebook. Dragon Ball Minus suffers from the exact same thing.

Movie 15 and Super may have had basic stories but they at least had some kind of narrative themes, conflict(s) including new characters, character development and resolution of conflict(s) including said new characters to classify them as stories. Dragon Ball Online does not have that. This isn't me being an asshole. I'm taking Dragon Ball Online for what it is at face value.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:15 pm

Forte224 wrote:So who are you complaining about? Several of this forum's most consistent posters like (apologies for name dropping but at least it's in a good way) ABED, Robo4900, Kunzait83, Gaffer Tape, etc. etc. all go into incredible detail with their posts. Who are these people that are dropping these complaints you speak of? I don't see them anywhere.

Execution matters 100%. You can't objectively say which is executed better, that goes without saying, but you CAN have a rational discussion about which show executed things better. But you don't seem to want to have that discussion. You just want to be as shallow as possible and say "Well Super may have had these 2 things but DB had these 3 things so you can't complain". That's a shallow, boring, rigid discussion.

And how in the WORLD can you say people give the original series a pass? The original series gets TORN. TO. SHREDS. on this forum. I have seen people (on a regular basis) go into incredible detail on the slow pacing (specifically of Z), I've seen people call the Red Ribbon, Cell, Boo, and sometimes even the Freeza arcs utter trash, I've seen people tear apart the awful filler episodes. Where are you finding these people that seem to look at the original's flaws and go "Meh, they're bad but I don't care"? I just don't see them. All I see are people that go into great detail on the flaws of the original, yet still love it due to the things it does right, and yet hate Super because they feel it executes its flaws even worse. Which is fine. The opposite is fine too. Anything in-between is also fine. But being shallow and not wanting to have any discussion and basically closing your ears off to any and all criticism, and boiling things down to a rigid, technical judgement of each series based on the number of times they do things is the exact opposite of what this site is about. You have plenty of other options if that's what you want.

I have no problem with the fact that Super gets criticism. I also criticize myself, so I am the last to say that it can not.

However, what I often find with some critics is the statement 'you may find Super good, which is nice for you, that does not change the fact that this objective is a bad show'.
First and foremost: it is total nonsense to objectively determine that a show is bad or good. Different opinions are equal, an expert may perceive more inconsistencies, but that does not mean that his opinion is worth more than another.
An anime is found good or bad. But is not good or bad 'an sich'. People who postulate this position, therefore, assume a premeditation that fits their stall. They start from a predetermined reason to say why something is not right. While they, to my liking, could also simply say why they do not like something. That is a subtle but big difference in the defended position that is assumed.

Whenever I see that statement appear, I can hardly say that this does not lead to suspicion.
If you then actually analyze what these people use as arguments, you often see a lot of repetition of things that are often mentioned, which I mentioned in a previous post.

It is often stated the same 'flaws' return. That is indeed true. And perhaps more at Super than at DBZ. But it is also a fact that with a lot of long-term fiction-franchises inconsistencies and retcons arise at a given moment. It is inevitable because the amount of information that is intertwined becomes almost unclear.

Super has the 'disadvantage' that the universe is getting bigger and the power levels are reaching outside astronomical values. The fact that Super had a different director for every episode did not do any good to keep that overview. With which, for the sake of clarity, I do not want to compensate for things, but you have to take that context into account if you want to give 'constructive criticism'.

With constructive criticism, I mean: you can identify these deviations and form an opinion about them, for which you do not like a show for yourself for that reason. That is perfectly rational. Provided you know that and also postpone it to others in the form 'It is my feeling or opinion that ...' In this way you criticize with RESPECT for other opinions and also for the makers of the series. Because every anime series, however 'bad' it may be found, has accumulated liters of blood, sweat and tears.

If, however, you link this to the statement 'Super is objectively bad' and that underpins these arguments, it is no longer rational in my view. It is deliberately using 'flaws' where every long-running fiction franchise suffers to a greater or lesser degree in order to substantiate its own sense or agenda.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:49 pm

However, what I often find with some critics is the statement 'you may find Super good, which is nice for you, that does not change the fact that this objective is a bad show'.
I have literally never heard ANYONE say that. Especially not around here.
It is often stated the same 'flaws' return. That is indeed true. And perhaps more at Super than at DBZ. But it is also a fact that with a lot of long-term fiction-franchises inconsistencies and retcons arise at a given moment. It is inevitable because the amount of information that is intertwined becomes almost unclear.

Super has the 'disadvantage' that the universe is getting bigger and the power levels are reaching outside astronomical values. The fact that Super had a different director for every episode did not do any good to keep that overview. With which, for the sake of clarity, I do not want to compensate for things, but you have to take that context into account if you want to give 'constructive criticism'.
If its very existence and the universe getting bigger and bigger are a detriment, then the show shouldn't even exist in the first place. I take it into account that it had different directors, and count it as one of its flaws towards it. I'm not a charity service, I'm a consumer.
'It is my feeling or opinion that ...'
No one should EVER be forced to say this. Those that defend by saying "Well that's just YOUR opinion" generally don't like criticism in the first place.
If, however, you link this to the statement 'Super is objectively bad' and that underpins these arguments, it is no longer rational in my view. It is deliberately using 'flaws' where every long-running fiction franchise suffers to a greater or lesser degree in order to substantiate its own sense or agenda.
Once again, show me these people. They're certainly not here, not in the majority anyway. Unless it's on the Super forum which I never visit for good reason. And if it's happening somewhere else, well, what do you expect? It's the internet.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm not really a part of this discussion but I have seen every complaint this guy has mentioned here on a near-daily basis.

Mostly from the same couple of people, but still.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Shaddy wrote:I'm not really a part of this discussion but I have seen every complaint this guy has mentioned here on a near-daily basis.

So, if it's just a couple of people, a.k.a. the minority, why make it such a big deal? Ignore them. Mister Popo and previously PFM18 made it sound like some site-wide issue where people were apparently just stating "LULZ 2 many tournaments and 2 many transformations" with no further detail. If the WHOLE forum or even HALF the forum is doing that, that's not good. But like, just a few people? It would be weird if that didn't happen.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Forte224 wrote:
I have literally never heard ANYONE say that. Especially not around here.
I have encountered the statement 'DBS is bad, no matter what your opinion' a lot on the internet. It is not uncommon for those who skip good nuances or arguments.
I think it's strange you haven't noticed that at all.
If its very existence and the universe getting bigger and bigger are a detriment, then the show shouldn't even exist in the first place. I take it into account that it had different directors, and count it as one of its flaws towards it. I'm not a charity service, I'm a consumer.
So that is no reason why specific DBS would be bad. Rather, it is a general criticism that questions the concept of long-term franchises.

Being a long-term franchise TOEI has just had the balls to get theirhighly succesful show from TV for longer than a year, to give us better DB in the long term. They are aware of certain issues and clearly want to work on them. The fact that there are problems and that work is being done, must be seen separately from each other. There is good will to keep investing in an even better basic product, despite the fact that the income continues to flow in for the franchise, even if no anime is made. I think that's just a reason to remain optimistic in the first place.
No one should EVER be forced to say this. Those that defend by saying "Well that's just YOUR opinion" generally don't like criticism in the first place.
That is a misconception I fear.
In a civilized discussion I find constructive opinion and argue just essential to be able to continue on something. By emphasizing that, you ensure that different opinions remain involved and are invited to express their opinion. You can not say 'Super is bad'.
You may find something bad or good. But you can not enforce this as a fact. By putting it that way, you are actually disrespectful to people with a different opinion and the makers of the product.
Once again, show me these people. They're certainly not here, not in the majority anyway. Unless it's on the Super forum which I never visit for good reason. And if it's happening somewhere else, well, what do you expect? It's the internet.
I am not here to direct anyone personally. I only conclude that I often see a correlation between the statement 'DBS is bad', without constructive criticism, and always the repetition of the same arguments.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Forte224 wrote: So, if it's just a couple of people, a.k.a. the minority, why make it such a big deal? Ignore them. Mister Popo and previously PFM18 made it sound like some site-wide issue where people were apparently just stating "LULZ 2 many tournaments and 2 many transformations" with no further detail.
I...I don't think they were doing that, actually. This is a thread about stuff that annoys you, and these sentiments are obviously common enough to annoy them and me. I don't think they've said anything along the lines of it being an issue specific to Kanzenshuu or broad as the entire fandom.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Forte224 wrote: So, if it's just a couple of people, a.k.a. the minority, why make it such a big deal? Ignore them. Mister Popo and previously PFM18 made it sound like some site-wide issue where people were apparently just stating "LULZ 2 many tournaments and 2 many transformations" with no further detail.
I...I don't think they were doing that, actually. This is a thread about stuff that annoys you, and these sentiments are obviously common enough to annoy them and me. I don't think they've said anything along the lines of it being an issue specific to Kanzenshuu or broad as the entire fandom.
That's kind of where all this started though. Mister Popo's post just listing one sentence issues people apparently use against Super and don't go into further detail on. Do you take issue with people that don't like Super while going into detail on why?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Shaddy wrote:
That's kind of where all this started though. Mister Popo's post just listing one sentence issues people apparently use against Super and don't go into further detail on. Do you take issue with people that don't like Super while going into detail on why?
I am NOT taking issues with anything or anyone, as you are suggesting. You are turning my words around and are basically stating things i have not said. I only gave my 'advice', for enhancing quality of general debate, constructive criticism should be preferable because i do have the impression that's not always the case IMHO. I hope i am allowed to say that on a message board?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Shaddy wrote: I...I don't think they were doing that, actually. This is a thread about stuff that annoys you, and these sentiments are obviously common enough to annoy them and me. I don't think they've said anything along the lines of it being an issue specific to Kanzenshuu or broad as the entire fandom.
I am NOT taking issues with anything or anyone, as you are suggesting. You are turning my words around and are basically stating things i have not said. I only gave my 'advice', for enhancing quality of general debate, constructive criticism should be preferable because i do have the impression that's not always the case IMHO. I hope i am allowed to say that on a message board?
I mean, I have issues with people who just say blanket statements and don't go into detail/don't use constructive criticism. I just don't see it as often as you claim to. Not here anyway. I wasn't trying to imply you were angry or anything.

This conversation doesn't seem to be going anywhere anymore though.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:That's not a story. That's an info dump. That's the kind of context you would get in a guidebook. Dragon Ball Minus suffers from the exact same thing.
Except, it is a story. Let's see Future Trunks saga (as it is the only saga with a story): "an apprentice of Kaioshin becomes evil at some point and decides to wipe out all the mortals in all Universes. He gets an ally which turns out to be an evil Goku and together they try to achieve their goal".

If this is called a story, then my short summary for the game is indeed a story too.
Lord Beerus wrote:Movie 15 and Super may have had basic stories but they at least had some kind of narrative themes, conflict(s) including new characters, character development and resolution of conflict(s) including said new characters to classify them as stories. Dragon Ball Online does not have that. This isn't me being an asshole. I'm taking Dragon Ball Online for what it is at face value.
So does Dragon Ball Online, Time Breaker vs Time Patrol conflit, new characters, no new character development for the old/main cast because they were all dead at that point and the main ones are actually your avatar, so asking for character development is a nonsensical act and no resolution because the game shut down before its completion, so asking for resolution is also an extremely idiotic thing to ask for. No, you are demeaning the game due to your personal feelings.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:57 pm

Shaddy wrote:I'm not really a part of this discussion but I have seen every complaint this guy has mentioned here on a near-daily basis.

Well there ya go. It's really not that uncommon to see those sort of things. All I'm saying is that sometimes Super doesn't get a fair shake.

Can people criticize it? Absolutely. Is there anything wrong with criticizing it? Absolutely not. It just seems that people have these generic, repetitive "criticisms" of Super, who apply equally as much to the original series. Did the original series execute them better? Maybe, but that's an entirely different conversation. The fundamental premise or idea of a story doesn't suddenly become bad if it isn't executed well or vice versa. One can compensate for the other.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 am

Grimlock wrote:Except, it is a story. Let's see Future Trunks saga (as it is the only saga with a story): "an apprentice of Kaioshin becomes evil at some point and decides to wipe out all the mortals in all Universes. He gets an ally which turns out to be an evil Goku and together they try to achieve their goal".

If this is called a story, then my short summary for the game is indeed a story too.
You provided a brief summary for a much larger story that has characterization for many of the cast, personal conflict including new character, character development, shifts in the narrative based on certain moments or personal motivations, a resolution of the personal conflicts and a conclusion of the story. Those are just some of basic necessities needed for storytelling. Something Dragon Ball Online doesn't have because it doesn't have any actual ongoing story to tell
Grimlock wrote:So does Dragon Ball Online, Time Breaker vs Time Patrol conflit, new characters, no new character development for the old/main cast because they were all dead at that point and the main ones are actually your avatar, so asking for character development is a nonsensical act and no resolution because the game shut down before its completion, so asking for resolution is also an extremely idiotic thing to ask for. No, you are demeaning the game due to your personal feelings.
I'm not demeaning anything. I'm just calling like I see it: Dragon Ball Online has the tools to tell a story, but doesn't. At all.

You can throw all the concepts, lore and world building as much as you want the audience, but it won't matter for shit if you can provide and engaging story with a well characterized cast. The journey and development the character (or cast of characters) is what tells the story, because that is what people latch onto and get invested into the most.

Building a vast and diverse world and universe won't matter for shit if it's devoid of any kind of personality or unique character quirks on a surface level.

Dragon Ball Online provides some interesting lore and information. But that's all it is... lore and information. And lore and information is not a substitute for basic storytelling.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:00 am

The fundamental premise or idea of a story doesn't suddenly become bad if it isn't executed well or vice versa. One can compensate for the other.
Ideas are almost always neutral. Execution is ALWAYS what matters. An interesting premise or idea can't compensate for crappy execution, whereas good execution can compensate for even a well worn idea.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:You provided a brief summary for a much larger story that has characterization for many of the cast, personal conflict including new character, character development, shifts in the narrative based on certain moments or personal motivations, a resolution of the personal conflicts and a conclusion of the story. Those are just some of basic necessities needed for storytelling. Something Dragon Ball Online doesn't have because it doesn't have any actual ongoing story to tell
I can either say that that's pretty much the story of Future Trunks saga indeed or that my brief summary for Dragon Ball Online is also a part of a much larger story. Regardless of that, no, those are not "basic necessities needed for storytelling", otherwise Dragon Ball would be more complex and it would have more developed sagas, which is not the case. At this point you are just coming up with false characteristics to praise the "main series" and demean the game.

I have already said what the game contains but you pretty much ignore in favor of your own negative feelings towards the game(s) (I imagine this nonsense of yours extends to Heroes, Xenoverse and probably FighterZ right? They also lack everything you mentioned too?). It is no surprise that you do not like it, but saying Dragon Ball Online lacks conflict and story (and for some reason asking for resolution in an unfinished work) is an absurd taken to a whole new level, a simple child would be able to tell you what is going on. If you do not want to see what is right in front of you is fine (I guess) but try at least to be reasonable when discussing about.
Lord Beerus wrote:You can throw all the concepts, lore and world building as much as you want the audience, but it won't matter for shit if you can provide and engaging story with a well characterized cast. The journey and development the character (or cast of characters) is what tells the story, because that is what people latch onto and get invested into the most.
I think you need to reevaluate what constitute telling a story. The world is filled with different methods of storytelling. Just curiosity, when was the last time you read a book?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:28 pm

How does DB lack those basic necessities of storytelling?
I think you need to reevaluate what constitute telling a story. The world is filled with different methods of storytelling. Just curiosity, when was the last time you read a book?
Beerus is spot on. Lore is just exposition which has its place but it's not a story. And I don't go a day without reading at least a chapter of a book. What specifically are you disagreeing with?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:44 pm

And even in a book stuff is SHOWN rather than TOLD. Even if its in Text! When was the last time YOU read a book, Grimlock?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:You provided a brief summary for a much larger story that has characterization for many of the cast, personal conflict including new characters, character development, shifts in the narrative based on certain moments or personal motivations, a resolution of the personal conflicts and a conclusion of the story. Those are just some of basic necessities needed for storytelling. Something Dragon Ball Online doesn't have because it doesn't have any actual ongoing story to tell
I can either say that that's pretty much the story of Future Trunks saga indeed or that my brief summary for Dragon Ball Online is also a part of a much larger story. Regardless of that, no, those are not "basic necessities needed for storytelling", otherwise Dragon Ball would be more complex and it would have more developed sagas, which is not the case. At this point you are just coming up with false characteristics to praise the "main series" and demean the game.

I have already said what the game contains but you pretty much ignore in favor of your own negative feelings towards the game(s) (I imagine this nonsense of yours extends to Heroes, Xenoverse and probably FighterZ right? They also lack everything you mentioned too?). It is no surprise that you do not like it, but saying Dragon Ball Online lacks conflict and story (and for some reason asking for resolution in an unfinished work) is an absurd taken to a whole new level, a simple child would be able to tell you what is going on. If you do not want to see what is right in front of you is fine (I guess) but try at least to be reasonable when discussing about.
Lord Beerus wrote:You can throw all the concepts, lore and world building as much as you want the audience, but it won't matter for shit if you can provide and engaging story with a well characterized cast. The journey and development the character (or cast of characters) is what tells the story, because that is what people latch onto and get invested into the most.
Holy fuck... I don't even know where to begin. I don't even know what to say. I mean... I hate to sound an asshole, but it seems as though you don't have a basic grasp of storytelling in general.

Nobody would give a flying fuck about how big the Dragon Ball world and universe was if it wasn't for the wonderfully well defined characters that host it. You can't sell a story by talking about how great and diverse the world and how you should be invested into it, and not actually bothering to show the audience why it's such a great and diverse world it is.

"Show, don't tell" is one of the important techniques in writing. As banal as some stories in the Dragon Ball franchise can be, even those kinds of stories had a basic grasp of concept of "Show, don't tell". 99.8%* of the stories told in the franchise have the basic understanding to storytelling. Which is to develop characters, meet new people, get into personal conflict(s) including said new people, evolve the personalities of the cast based on the unique environments or scenarios they are involved in, and resolve the conflict(s). Dragon Ball Online does not have that. Dragon Ball Online doesn't understand basics of storytelling as it relies on you being invested in a laundry list of information with no pretense of how any of the information affects anything about anyone.

The Star Wars universe isn't adored by millions by how massive it is. It's adored by how unique and well defined the characters are that occupy that massive universe are. The journey the protagonists and antagonists go through, the personal conflicts, the development of the cast, the resolution of the conflicts... those are the aspects of the story that people are immediately drawn into the most because that is how they get invested into anything that is happening in the narrative. The world building is just a byproduct, and whether people are also invested into that is also an extension of how attached they can be to their characters and their relationship to how vast the world they occupy is.

Nobody ever goes into a story thinking about how expansive the lore and world-building is. They go into any given story wondering whether they will care for the fate of the character(s). Wondering if the development of the character(s) will good enough to warrant them caring about the character's journey and the narrative in general.

Let me use this analogy: Imagine you see an incredibly decorative and visually appealing exterior for a mansion. Then you go inside the mansion and there's nothing there. No paintings, no furniture, no rooms of interest. Nothing. It's an empty mansion. Then you leave nothing caring about how pretty the mansion looks on the outside, as there is nothing insider to retain your attention. That what Dragon Ball Online is... a pretty mansion that is devoid of anything internally interesting.

*The 0.2% is Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball Minus.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:11 pm

To put it in simpler terms: nobody cares about the world your story is set in if the story is boring or bad. Most of DBs lore is either stupid or a hodgepodge of various guides, statements,... that don't form a cohesive whole by any stretch but people don't care because they like the action or Goku or whatever.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:14 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:To put it in simpler terms: nobody cares about the world your story is set in if the story is boring or bad.
Bullseye. (Pun 100% intended to go with ekrolo's avatar :P )

This is pretty much one of the key, crippling issues with not only much of post-Dragon Ball Shonen, but also with a LOT of geek media throughout the 2000s and 2010s (including a TON of major "Triple A" video game franchises for the last two or three console cycles) that puts the cart before the horse and goes all in on putting all their focus on trying to "build a universe" that's insanely dense with detail... without almost in any way stopping first to establish a core story, premise, and set of characters that are engaging enough for the audience to get invested in and through which to even give two shits about the fictional universe they occupy in the first place.

Dragon Ball does have a memorably fun, visually distinctive, and eclectically lively fantasy universe that its set in: but that universe wouldn't mean jack shit to us if we didn't first and foremost care about the central story and characters inhabiting it. Unless we're talking stuff like Tabletop RPG books and things of that nature, then in most cases a fleshed out fictional universe and "lore" are simply ingredients: not the main, key point that everything else hinges upon.

I know its been my go-to kicking toy on here for some time now, but I again have to defer to One Piece here for a good example: so very much is made out of One Piece's "world building" and how it carves out this immensely detailed and elaborate fantasy world for its characters to inhabit and play within. And indeed it DOES put an insane amount of detail and effort into its world/setting and its continuity.

But the bigger problem which renders it all utterly moot is that its core cast of characters that everything else hinges on (Luffy and the other Straw Hats) are SO obnoxiously irritating, unlikable, and unrelateable on even a basic human level (because they're all fundamentally written as if they were conceived by someone who has no understanding at all about how real human beings interact and relate to one another), that its simply IMPOSSIBLE to get invested in the world and its "lore" that's being built up in the background (in spite of all the meticulous attention to detail and continuity) when all it ultimately adds up to is just window-dressing that's in service to a group of characters that are so slathered in emotional porn that the viewer/reader can barely tolerate or stomach any of them for a nanosecond, and a core storyline that's at its heart is just boilerplate "find the McGuffin" swashbuckling adventure stuff that you can more than easily find in literally countless zillions of other stories that execute it thousands of times better.

The point here being: building a world/universe and lore without a gripping story or cast of characters, or even a unifying theme or premise to tie it all together, is ultimately a pointless masturbatory exercise in self-indulgence that's of absolutely zero interest to anyone other than socially unhappy people so disenfranchised with their own lives that they mainly and solely seek out fictional worlds as a vicarious means of escape, and have zero interest in narrative fiction as a conduit of imaginative inspiration, intellectual enrichment, or even just basic-most entertainment.

Dragon Ball's fun and memorable fantasy world is but a natural, organic outgrowth of the characters and their story. The setting and its lore exists to serve the characters and the plot, NOT the other way around.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.