Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MathSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by MathSSJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:36 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Chi-Chi was fine in the Boo arc but Super's kind of shat on that whole development of "Yeah... maybe having someone who knows how to fight so more people don't die isn't such a bad thing!" gets reversed harder than DC Rebirths Superman status quo.

I guess it's supposed to be her thinking that with Goku around, Goten doesn't need to be the fighting child but the show does fuck all with a mountain sized load of jack shit to even remotely imply this at any point, ever.
And Jurgens got another one it seems.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:04 am

Broly. Overrated to the extreme.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:12 pm

Broly has been so overhated that I don't mind him. He's kinda become a joke within the fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Broly has been so overhated that I don't mind him. He's kinda become a joke within the fandom.
I've become part of the counter-counter-culture that unironically enjoys Broly cause the memes aren't dank anymore, effectively making me the king of edge-lords.
Retired.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:13 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:gets reversed harder than DC Rebirths Superman status quo.
I only buy Batman Beyond when it comes to DC, so what happened there?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:20 pm

SonReggie wrote:Broly. Overrated to the extreme.
It's such an old news that it's reversed now, broly had so much bashing it actually made people open up and appreciate the character more than before..
This of course can't be said for everyone..
nothing can but it's good to mention before someone speaks up sparkling in the glory of lacking common sense about how can I be sure every guy appreciates broly now
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Wizard Sesame wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:gets reversed harder than DC Rebirths Superman status quo.
I only buy Batman Beyond when it comes to DC, so what happened there?
Basically, for the first 8 months of Rebirth, the Superman with the family was pre-Flashpoint and then they did some convoluted nonsense that said pre-Flashpoint Superman was always the one since 2011 and now his continuity is a hobled mess of N52, Pre and Post Crisis.

The problem is: they had an entire status quo that was about this foreign, older Superman interacting with people vaguely like his old colleagues but not really them and there was an awkward mistrust on both sides, now? Doesn't matter, he was always their Superman. They literally spent a few years setting this foreign Superman status quo up and now they've invalidated an entire year of Rebirth stories across the Superman, JL lines and Trinity and Wonder Woman.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:18 pm

When people blame the voice actors for the problems in a dub, when the problems are really the voice director and the script writer. It's kind of what happens with the Avengers Assemble voice actors. They are not faultless, but often they get blamed for stuff that isn't their fault.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scorpio Kardia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Scorpio Kardia » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 pm

The growing amount of people on YouTube making a living out of Dragon Ball with stolen (mostly from Herms twitter), fake, and speculative information. Not to mention the amount of trash and lies they spread through the Internet. I believe that since Super started the number keeps growing, and the fact that some of these people are considered "dragon ball influencers" by Bandai Namco makes me sad.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Scorpio Kardia wrote:The growing amount of people on YouTube making a living out of Dragon Ball with stolen (mostly from Herms twitter), fake, and speculative information. Not to mention the amount of trash and lies they spread through the Internet. I believe that since Super started the number keeps growing, and the fact that some of these people are considered "dragon ball influencers" by Bandai Namco makes me sad.
If I remember right, the mass revival of the Youtube community coincided with the RoF movie, since it marked the official, indefinite continuation of the series.
Retired.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:39 am

This grinds my gears. Why are the subbing companies using the incorrect "Frieza" spelling, even though it's literally spelled in front of them?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:44 pm

The term "cringe worthy" it's used for so much nowadays that the term itself lost a lot of meaning and is just annoyinh.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:The term "cringe worthy" it's used for so much nowadays that the term itself lost a lot of meaning and is just annoying.
There, fixed your little error in this word.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:16 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:Image
This grinds my gears. Why are the subbing companies using the incorrect "Frieza" spelling, even though it's literally spelled in front of them?
Yeah, this too. The dub names in sub don't usually bother me, but for that one I just went like "...really?"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:25 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:The term "cringe worthy" it's used for so much nowadays that the term itself lost a lot of meaning and is just annoyinh.
Jobbing is another one and the one that annoys me the most. It's like legendary a few years back, people overuse this vocabulary until the words lose their original meaning.
Using such broad terms and so often makes conversations stupider.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 am

LightBing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:The term "cringe worthy" it's used for so much nowadays that the term itself lost a lot of meaning and is just annoyinh.
Jobbing is another one and the one that annoys me the most. It's like legendary a few years back, people overuse this vocabulary until the words lose their original meaning.
Using such broad terms and so often makes conversations stupider.
Yeah, I see it here a lot and especially youtube. Anything someone doesn't like? It's cringe-worthy. I think the same thing is true with pwn/own back in like 2006. Thankfully that kinda disappeared but hopefully the whole cringe fad dies out.

Jobbing is bad too. Every time someone mentions Gohan "oh he'll just keep jobbing as usual." Not just Gohan of course that was just an example. It goes beyond DB as well.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:20 am

The use of "butt hurt".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:15 am

"Jobbing?" What? "Jobbing?" That's so inapplicable to Dragon Ball that it is pretty funny.

"Jobbing" comes from "doing the job" in wrestling, where there's a wrestler whose job it is to lose for the show. So... did someone infuse it with Dragon Ball because they thought it would be cute? Maybe they thought it would be funny? It's basically taking a term and using it in a way that completely makes no sense. Why not just say, "Gohan is so weak, that he'll be glue by tomorrow!" Makes about as much sense.

Scorpio Kardia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Scorpio Kardia » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:22 am

Yeah the term "jobbing" is pretty annoying. A character can't lose a fight and you automatically see the headlines on YouTube "X CHARACTER JOBBED TO Y CHARACTER". I saw a title saying "GOKU JOBBED TO F*** KRILLIN!" once, and I seriously did not think it made sense at all or that it applied to the fight in question.

I do wonder how a wrestling term became so common in the Dragon Ball YouTube community, I imagine it might be because a lot of people who enjoy dragon ball also enjoy wrestling. It would make sense.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:25 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:"Jobbing?" What? "Jobbing?" That's so inapplicable to Dragon Ball that it is pretty funny.

"Jobbing" comes from "doing the job" in wrestling, where there's a wrestler whose job it is to lose for the show. So... did someone infuse it with Dragon Ball because they thought it would be cute? Maybe they thought it would be funny? It's basically taking a term and using it in a way that completely makes no sense. Why not just say, "Gohan is so weak, that he'll be glue by tomorrow!" Makes about as much sense.
As far as I can tell, jobbing as applied to Dragon Ball is a synonym for the Worf effect, where a character the audience knows is strong loses as a means of showing how strong their opponent is. The term does have its uses, particularly Vegeta has had fights that can be interpreted as this (candidates include Zarbon, Recoome, Frieza, Frieza again, 18, Perfect Cell, Hit, Rosé Black), but some people attempt to redefine the term to just mean "losing", which is a problem.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link