Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:43 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:When people say that DBZ is one of the "few anime dubs worth while" and compare it with FMA and Bebop. I mean even as much as Kai and Supers dub's are improvements I still wouldn't consider them top tier dubs like Death Note and Black lagoon.
DBZ dub is certainly not on the level of FMA and Bebop, even if those two dubs are overrated.

Death Note and Black Lagoon's dubs are amazing. I'd be happy if the DBZ Kai Ocean dub was on the level of those dubs.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:27 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:When people say that DBZ is one of the "few anime dubs worth while" and compare it with FMA and Bebop. I mean even as much as Kai and Supers dub's are improvements I still wouldn't consider them top tier dubs like Death Note and Black lagoon.
Same here bro, even the Dubs of Kai and Super don't compare to Naruto Series Dub.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Same here bro, even the Dubs of Kai and Super don't compare to Naruto Series Dub.
The only thing that holds back Kai and Super's from being great is the need to use old dubism's like Destructo Disk, and not recasting Kaio. Other than that the dubs are still good.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Fans wouldn't shut up about how much they hate Dragonball Evolution and how much it sucks and it's the worst thing after cancer yada yada yada, WE GET IT! It's been 8 years already. Shut up and move on with your lives!!
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:07 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
The only thing that holds back Kai and Super's from being great is the need to use old dubism's like Destructo Disk, and not recasting Kaio. Other than that the dubs are still good.
agreed, retaining old dub terms and some annoying voices hold back Kai Dub.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Fans condescending attitude torwards other series that are/were either influenced or inspired (or both) by Dragon Ball as lesser and inferior copycats, because DB is the epitome of 100% original creation without influence at all, am I rite? :lolno:
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:02 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Oh, Kaio is not the only character that should have been recasted.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:53 am

"If you don't get your numbers and scalings correct, you're not a true DB FAN! Go back and rewatch the series to reevaluate yourselves!"- YouTube in a nutshell
How deep must your head have to be up your ass to even say that?

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:02 am

Freeza9000 wrote:"If you don't get your numbers and scalings correct, you're not a true DB FAN! Go back and rewatch the series to reevaluate yourselves!"- YouTube in a nutshell
How deep must your head have to be up your ass to even say that?
90% of those fans that complain about power scaling probably haven't even watched DB or read the manga. They LITERALLY only pay attention the the strength and transformations in the series and ignore everything else, like the humor, world building, and character motivations. They're what I like to call, "nothing fans." Because their opinions and thoughts on the series mean nothing.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Same here bro, even the Dubs of Kai and Super don't compare to Naruto Series Dub.
Kaiō, Fat Boo, Android 19 and Yamcha (if possible then Piccolo) should Have been recasted definitely.
MajinMan wrote: 90% of those fans that complain about power scaling probably haven't even watched DB or read the manga. They LITERALLY only pay attention the the strength and transformations in the series and ignore everything else, like the humor, world building, and character motivations. They're what I like to call, "nothing fans." Because their opinions and thoughts on the series mean nothing.

These are the same people who think Dragon Ball is all about fights and no story.
SHINOBI-03 wrote: Fans wouldn't shut up about how much they hate Dragonball Evolution and how much it sucks and it's the worst thing after cancer yada yada yada, WE GET IT! It's been 8 years already. Shut up and move on with your lives!!
These people criticize Dragon Ball Evolution for being inaccurate to Original source yet they praise and fanboy the DBZ Dub which is a bad adaption but it gets a pass due to nostalgia.
Last edited by Ripper 30 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:35 am

Kaiō, Fat Boo, Android 19 and Yamcha (if possible then Piccolo) should Have been recasted definitely.
Yes, YES, yes, no (and no). Sabat is good as Yamcha and Piccolo. I get that some don't like him voicing so many important characters, but he's good in those roles and while you can tell they are being voiced by the same actor, the voices are still distinct.
These are the same people who think Dragon Ball is all about fights and no story.
Also grinds my gears, as well as the belief that action is separate from story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:39 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
And Tenshinhan as well.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:42 am

You don't like John Burgmeier?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:49 am

ABED wrote:You don't like John Burgmeier?
Nope. He's a good actor in other dubs, but as Tenshinhan, he doesn't really leave much of an impression on me.

I think Sabat's pretty good as Piccolo, but I find him too deep for Yamcha. Toru Furuya sounds more natural to me.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:56 am

ABED wrote:
Yes, YES, yes, no (and no). Sabat is good as Yamcha and Piccolo. I get that some don't like him voicing so many important characters, but he's good in those roles and while you can tell they are being voiced by the same actor, the voices are still distinct.
I think Yamcha should have been voiced by Someone else from the start and despite Sabat's Yamcha improving in newer dubs, the surfer dude accent is still there and he just lacks the charm that Toru Furuya's Yamcha has in Japanese. His Piccolo is like his Armstrong from FMA, its not that it's unbearable but Piccolo could have gotten a better voice because it just sounds like Chris Sabat trying to speak in a little deeper tone that's it. Even Scott McNeil was able to bring that demonic feel to the character that Sabat can't and his Piccolo has been sounding similar to his Vegeta already from Kai Dubs too.
ABED wrote:These are the same people who think Dragon Ball is all about fights and no story.Also grinds my gears, as well as the belief that action is separate from story.
Dragon Ball series is a story Which is about a group of Martial Artists so Action is definitely a part of it too.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:You don't like John Burgmeier?
Nope. He's a good actor in other dubs, but as Tenshinhan, he doesn't really leave much of an impression on me.
I think he was fine during Kai Dub but the voice just doesn't compare to Japanese one due to John's Tenshinhan sounding scratchy and all.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:05 am

as Tenshinhan, he doesn't really leave much of an impression on me.
Funny, because I feel the same way as the original JPN voice for Tenshinhan. I know people on this forum love it, but it just sounds like a generic deep Japanese voice. The acting is fine, but doesn't leave much of an impression beyond that.
the surfer dude accent is still there
It's not. I'm not sure what you are hearing, but that accent was gone over a decade and a half ago.
Toru Furuya sounds more natural to me.
Sabat's more or less using his natural voice
His Piccolo is like his Armstrong from FMA, its not that it's unbearable but Piccolo could have gotten a better voice because it just sounds like Chris Sabat trying to speak in a little deeper tone that's it. Even Scott McNeil was able to bring that demonic feel to the character that Sabat can't and his Piccolo has been sounding similar to his Vegeta already from Kai Dubs too.
Why does it matter if he uses the same voice for a different series? And why does it matter if he's just using his voice but pitched down? It fits the character. Like I said, you can tell Vegeta and Piccolo are voiced by the same actor, but the voices for those characters are distinct.

While grinding my gears is a little doesn't exactly describe my feeling, it does at least bug me when people complain about actors using the same voice for two different shows.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 am

I find Suzuoki's voice to be pretty distinctive. Burgmeier sounds like he's irritated most of the time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I find Suzuoki's voice to be pretty distinctive. Burgmeier sounds like he's irritated most of the time.
I couldn't pick it out of a lineup.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 am

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I find Suzuoki's voice to be pretty distinctive. Burgmeier sounds like he's irritated most of the time.
I couldn't pick it out of a lineup.
But I could.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:30 am

I honestly think the dub would be mostly fine as far as voicing were it not for Schemmel and Sabat...that's absolute sacrilege among dub fans though.

I think Goku in english is sorta hard to nail down in general. Not one english voice really seems to "get" the character - Schemmel has gotten much better over the the years (the Kai episode the other day where he bargains old the Old Kaioshin was pretty good I thought) but he still doesn't do it for me, particularly his "serious" Goku. His Kaio is rotten though and always has been.

Sabat's Vegeta just sounds...like a strained cartoon character. I feel like he's in incredible pain whenever he voices the character. Not a big fan of his Piccolo either - it's still too deep and "monstrous" sounding, and I hear Vegeta in the voices lots of times. For what it's worth, his Yamcha is pretty good.