Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Mon May 15, 2017 7:36 pm

I just really didn't like when he completely raged when he was losing. I've seen it too many times, and it felt off for his character as a whole.
How did it feel off? He's constantly shown to lose his cool and have a short fuse. He's not nearly as calm, cool, and collected as you imply.
It's personal opinion for why I dislike the trope, many times it feels tacked on for the characters.
Every trope can be misused or tacked on, but that's not a reflection of the trope itself. It's all about execution. I dislike the "I hate [insert holiday] and think it's a corporate holiday created to sell greeting card, but deep down I don't really hate it, it's just that something bad happened to me on that day" trope. Writers use it as a shortcut for depth. But every once and a while someone uses the trope effectively, such as Gremlins where Phoebe Cates character says she hates Christmas, but it's really that her father came down a chimney dressed as Santa, got stuck and died. Bottom line, the tropes themselves are fine, it's execution that's the issue.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon May 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Fans saying the franchise should end for good once either Nozawa or Toriyama (or both) leaves our world.
First, there's no reason to end big cow cash series just for that, for instances, Superman has been going on for more than 20 years after their original authors passing in the early 90's.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Fans saying the franchise should end for good once either Nozawa or Toriyama (or both) leaves our world.
First, there's no reason to end big cow cash series just for that, for instances, Superman has been going on for more than 20 years after their original authors passing in the early 90's.
Superman isn't one continuous story written by one man.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue May 16, 2017 12:16 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Fans saying the franchise should end for good once either Nozawa or Toriyama (or both) leaves our world.
Superman has had many different writers, it wasn't just one guy like DB is. If Nozawa passes before Super's end, I'm on the side that they should fnish the arc and just be done with the franchise after it. If Toriyama dies before Super's done, they should just stop the whole thing.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 16, 2017 12:24 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Superman has had many different writers, it wasn't just one guy like DB is. If Nozawa passes before Super's end, I'm on the side that they should finish the arc and just be done with the franchise after it. If Toriyama dies before Super's done, they should just stop the whole thing.
I differ here. I don't think they should necessarily wrap it up. Granted, I'd drop it at that point, but that doesn't mean the potential for the series is dead. For all we know, once Toriyama and Nozawa and (insert name here) pass on, the series could catch new creative wind, and become even more of a classic. That's not particularly likely, but I'm against calling off anything with creative and financial potential left to squeeze.
Retired.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue May 16, 2017 12:27 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Superman has had many different writers, it wasn't just one guy like DB is. If Nozawa passes before Super's end, I'm on the side that they should finish the arc and just be done with the franchise after it. If Toriyama dies before Super's done, they should just stop the whole thing.
I differ here. I don't think they should necessarily wrap it up. Granted, I'd drop it at that point, but that doesn't mean the potential for the series is dead. For all we know, once Toriyama and Nozawa and (insert name here) pass on, the series could catch new creative wind, and become even more of a classic. That's not particularly likely, but I'm against calling off anything with creative and financial potential left to squeeze.
Different strokes, for different folks. If you were to ask me, I would have ended the series in 95. Not that I hate GT (I actually like it a lot) or the 08 special, they just don't feel necessary IMO.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 16, 2017 12:33 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:Different strokes, for different folks. If you were to ask me, I would have ended the series in 95. Not that I hate GT (I actually like it a lot) or the 08 special, they just don't feel necessary IMO.
Why does it have to be necessary, though? I would have been absolutely fine if the series ended with Episode 291 of Z, but why not have the extra? It doesn't hurt, and there's enormous potential for growth. It's just fun to have more, and that holds true even a scenario where the series has to go on without the original participants, including Toriyama himself.
Retired.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue May 16, 2017 12:41 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Different strokes, for different folks. If you were to ask me, I would have ended the series in 95. Not that I hate GT (I actually like it a lot) or the 08 special, they just don't feel necessary IMO.
Why does it have to be necessary, though? I would have been absolutely fine if the series ended with Episode 291 of Z, but why not have the extra? It doesn't hurt, and there's enormous potential for growth. It's just fun to have more, and that holds true even a scenario where the series has to go on without the original participants, including Toriyama himself.
Not what I meant. Shit like the 08 special, or GT are fine. Just self contained stories for the enjoyment of the fanbase, but it's a lot harder to just brush off Super as extra martial.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Tue May 16, 2017 12:55 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:https://i.gyazo.com/0e8b779276cabf0e724 ... ffb45f.png
This kinda stuff is getting really old now. Still just as annoying though.
It's probably their first exposure to Anime in general. I can't blame them for being ignorant about Kiais and what not. These are the same kind of people that think DBZ is a show where macho men fight each other to save the universe and be the light in the darkness.

Also, may I know which Youtuber's comment section this is?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:58 am

DBZ Macky wrote:
TheGodfather93 wrote:https://i.gyazo.com/0e8b779276cabf0e724 ... ffb45f.png
This kinda stuff is getting really old now. Still just as annoying though.
It's probably their first exposure to Anime in general. I can't blame them for being ignorant about Kiais and what not. These are the same kind of people that think DBZ is a show where macho men fight each other to save the universe and be the light in the darkness.

Also, may I know which Youtuber's comment section this is?
Not sure. It was one of those fight videos that pops up, gets thousands of views and comments, then gets a copyright strike and is removed. The fight shown in this video was the tag team match with Gohan and Piccolo up against Goku and Tenshinhan.

That said, these kinds of comments about Nozawa's voice have been popping up in most DBtubers' reviews for this episode.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 16, 2017 4:19 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I used to think similarly, but now I'd much rather have a meal that's satisfying and filling than get that feeling of being overstuffed.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue May 16, 2017 8:55 am

Another thing bother's me is people assume Super overwrites Z's ending, when in fact it doesn't. Just because they don't mention what happened to them in the 10 year gap doesn't mean it didn't happen.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 16, 2017 11:05 am

ABED wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Why does it have to be necessary, though? I would have been absolutely fine if the series ended with Episode 291 of Z, but why not have the extra? It doesn't hurt, and there's enormous potential for growth. It's just fun to have more, and that holds true even a scenario where the series has to go on without the original participants, including Toriyama himself.
I used to think similarly, but now I'd much rather have a meal that's satisfying and filling than get that feeling of being overstuffed.
Maybe it's a nitpick, but this food metaphor implies that there's an inherent cap on how much material can comfortably exist, and that isn't really true. Your metaphor would work better as a reason not to watch GT or the movies or Super, because the original series was already filling. I'm already kind of applying it, actually. I haven't dropped Super, per se, but I've gotten to a point where I don't read very much of the subtitles and I skip portions where nothing interesting is happening.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Maybe it's a nitpick, but this food metaphor implies that there's an inherent cap on how much material can comfortably exist, and that isn't really true. Your metaphor would work better as a reason not to watch GT or the movies or Super, because the original series was already filling. I'm already kind of applying it, actually. I haven't dropped Super, per se, but I've gotten to a point where I don't read very much of the subtitles and I skip portions where nothing interesting is happening.
I think you're splitting hairs with your assessment of the analogy. Point is I'd rather feel satisfied by a series than have it go on forever or simply too long.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 16, 2017 2:40 pm

ABED wrote:
I think you're splitting hairs with your assessment of the analogy. Point is I'd rather feel satisfied by a series than have it go on forever or simply too long.
I can't help myself.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue May 16, 2017 2:45 pm

A better food metaphor:

GT is tacos and Super is pizza, but neither is meat. You don't want either because it's Tuesday because you're already full. The manga is dumplings and Kai is brown rice. Z is tandoori chicken. Everything is free range. You're eating in a restaurant with green-and-striped walls. The waitress looks like your mother and is asking how you'd like to expand. Toriyama waits by the door.

I hope everyone follows.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 16, 2017 3:07 pm

After Super ends, the series needs to take a dirt nap for another 20 years. The spinoff and videogame material will go on forever obviously, but I don't want to see anymore "canon" continuations of the main story.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue May 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Cipher wrote:A better food metaphor:

GT is tacos and Super is pizza, but neither is meat. You don't want either because it's Tuesday because you're already full. The manga is dumplings and Kai is brown rice. Z is tandoori chicken. Everything is free range. You're eating in a restaurant with green-and-striped walls. The waitress looks like your mother and is asking how you'd like to expand. Toriyama waits by the door.

I hope everyone follows.
...... Are you an Indian?
serious question if you are okay with it :)

On topic
Weirdly, nothing regarding the show is grinding my gears anymore, it's pretty perfect right now, but the YouTube comments are a different story, most recent comments about the atatatata fight sounds are everywhere and not fun to read
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue May 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:...... Are you an Indian?
I'm white as the snow.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue May 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Cipher wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:...... Are you an Indian?
I'm white as the snow.
Oh, it's that your post reminded me of the way an Indian friend of mine talked :D
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker