Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:25 pm

I'm still confused. The Cell Jr.'s are shown during Gohan's transformation in episode 184
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:31 pm

ABED wrote:I'm still confused. The Cell Jr.'s are shown during Gohan's transformation in episode 184
Huh, you're right, somehow I got that mixed up with the extra bits the original anime had of the Cell Jrs brutalizing Gohan's friends between the two. My point was that Gohan is clearly Super Saiyan 2 at the end of the episode, but in the start of the next he's SS1 and you have Cell commenting that he's just powering up like Trunks before he finally does it again and it sticks. I was surprised to find they didn't fix that in Kai.
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:35 pm

What was bad about it? Instead of picking up exactly where the last episode left off, the next episode back tracked a little. Not sure why. To be fair, it's not as bad if you were watching the show weekly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:56 pm

ABED wrote:What was bad about it? Instead of picking up exactly where the last episode left off, the next episode back tracked a little. Not sure why. To be fair, it's not as bad if you were watching the show weekly.
The fact that it retconned something you just saw in the previous episode. If they wanted to just backtrack they could have replayed the scene from the previous episode at the start of the next. They've done that a few times in other places. But instead it's an entirely different scene! It's always irritated the heck out of me because it screws up the flow of the scene from episode to episode and I don't feel the second take is as good or as impactful as the first.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 pm

What was retconned? I wished they hadn't redone it and relegated it to the recap, but it's hardly a big issue. I haven't seen the scenes in a while, but I don't recall anything being radically different.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:08 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:snip
Fair enough. It's just, usually the peanut gallery only says things when they're relevant to the plot. Whis hypothesized why Goku obtained UI and made some comment at the end that it was just a theory. But, like, it isn't a theory. That's literally just the writers telling us what happened. I don't like to take an out-of-universe approach to show's storytelling, but there are times in Dragon Ball when you kind of have to.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:43 pm

Forte224 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:snip
Fair enough. It's just, usually the peanut gallery only says things when they're relevant to the plot. Whis hypothesized why Goku obtained UI and made some comment at the end that it was just a theory. But, like, it isn't a theory. That's literally just the writers telling us what happened. I don't like to take an out-of-universe approach to show's storytelling, but there are times in Dragon Ball when you kind of have to.
We're in agreement there! It's caused any number of headaches in the power scaling thread too. :lol: It'd be great if they were totally accurate all the time, but I think sometimes you just have to go with whatever's the least stupid explanation for you.
ABED wrote:What was retconned? I wished they hadn't redone it and relegated it to the recap, but it's hardly a big issue. I haven't seen the scenes in a while, but I don't recall anything being radically different.
The whole transformation, basically. Gohan goes SS2 from the burst of power in the first episode, in the second he doesn't and there's 3 or 4 minutes of faffing around and some trash talk from Cell before we get right back where we were to begin with. It'd be like if episode 126 started off with Toppo and 17 starting to fight but then mucking around with other stuff before getting back to the beam clash that ended the last episode. It's cool that it doesn't bug you and I can understand why it doesn't but that kinda stuff really rankles me, especially on serial viewings.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:38 am

When people say that everyone in the Japanese version sounds like girls. If Banjo Ginga, Norio Wakamoto, Ryuzaburo Otomo, Tessho Genda, Akira Kamiya and Kenji Utsumi sound like girls, then I don't know what a man sounds like.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:20 pm

The fan's acceptance of the trash that is modern Dragonball. Palette swaps, rehashing old plot points (Piccolo "dying" again lol), mediocre everything. It just makes me so..mad.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:38 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:The fan's acceptance of the trash that is modern Dragonball. Palette swaps, rehashing old plot points (Piccolo "dying" again lol), mediocre everything. It just makes me so..mad.
I mean its their opinion man
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 pm

two base theory. Can't have a discussion about power scaling in DBS without somebody bringing up that convoluted garbage
supersaiyanZero wrote:The fan's acceptance of the trash that is modern Dragonball. Palette swaps, rehashing old plot points (Piccolo "dying" again lol), mediocre everything. It just makes me so..mad.
How does it bother you that other people enjoy something? Like it's fine if you don't enjoy it but it doesn't make any sense for you to be mad at somebody else for liking something.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:02 pm

When people say GT is Canon

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:03 pm

PFM18 wrote:two base theory. Can't have a discussion about power scaling in DBS without somebody bringing up that convoluted garbage
I just looked that up, having never heard of it before.
God dammit is that stupid. :lol:

Can't people just accept that the show has a plothole in its power-scaling logic? It's not exactly new to the franchise, especially in Super.
Ssjcell wrote:When people say GT is Canon
You're right; nothing is canon. There is no "Canon".
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Whatever AT says is Canon is Canon db dbz dbs canon gt sidestory

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:14 am

Robo4900 wrote:You're right; nothing is canon. There is no "Canon".
This is a minor gripe of mine. What does this even mean?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:16 am

ABED wrote:
Besides the obsessive nerd need to see "what counts" for continuity sake?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 am

Ssjcell wrote:Whatever AT says is Canon is Canon db dbz dbs canon gt sidestory
But he has never said anything about canonicity. :eh:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:58 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:
I mean what does that literally mean to say a story doesn't have a canon/continuity? Clearly the original story has a continuity. It's not like The Simpsons where very little carries over from one episode to the next. I think people who say that go a little too far when they say it has no canon. It's a little confusing, but there's not none.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 am

ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:This is a minor gripe of mine. What does this even mean?
I mean what does that literally mean to say a story doesn't have a canon/continuity? Clearly the original story has a continuity. It's not like The Simpsons where very little carries over from one episode to the next.
It's basically a counter argument in the eternal debates of what counts and doesn't count as the main, de facto continuity of DB. Does GT count? What's a "higher canon" between the Super manga & anime which adapt the same source differently,... That sort of thing.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:04 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Besides the obsessive nerd need to see "what counts" for continuity sake?
I mean what does that literally mean to say a story doesn't have a canon/continuity? Clearly the original story has a continuity. It's not like The Simpsons where very little carries over from one episode to the next.
It's basically a counter argument in the eternal debates of what counts and doesn't count as the main, de facto continuity of DB. Does GT count? What's a "higher canon" between the Super manga & anime which adapt the same source differently,... That sort of thing.
I hear you, but I think it goes too far and doesn't hold water. I think canon debates can be frustrating since so many are confused by the concept itself, but DB is continuity heavy.