Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Bajosexto » Thu May 18, 2017 7:20 am

DBZ Macky wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:I'm glad I don't have to deal with YouTube type comments here where they hate on the Japanese version without actually debating. It is disrespectful when it's done in a rude manner. Like saying that Nozawa's Goku sounds like a little bitch.
I always ignore them unless they have actually given the series a try in Japanese (which they haven't).
I still don't understand how someone can judge a VA and form an opinion about them simply by watching some clips on YouTube. What's stopping me from just going to a YT clip of Season 3 and obnoxiously comment on their "Faulkner music" and "Hopes of the universe"?
You shouldn't judge a VA, or a dub, by only watching a couple of videos on YouTube. It wouldn't be fair to judge Sean Schemmel's Goku by watching only a couple of clips from season 3. The same applies to Nozawa or any other voice actor/dub.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Thu May 18, 2017 7:32 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:When people say that Nozawa's Goku sounds feminine/like a woman/old gramma/girl because he is voiced by a woman.

I know I've already complained about this a couple of days ago, but it just really makes me mad when I see these type of comments. Even though I don't like Sean's Goku and Chris Sabat's Vegeta, I never disrespect there performances. And it grinds my gears how little respect some "fans" have towards Nozawa. Saying that she shouldn't have voiced adult Goku or that her Goku sounds like a little bitch, etc. Anyways, I'm glad I don't have to deal with these type of comments here.
The comparison I always go back to is Bart Simpson. Bart Simpson is voiced by a woman but he doesn't sound like a woman, he sounds like a kid. And when they do scenes or episodes where he's an adult he keeps the same voice, just slightly deeper. It's the exact same way Goku's voice is handled in Japanese, and for the same reason: It's the voice associated with the character. If you watch the show in sequence it makes a lot more sense.

One thing I do find funny is if you look at the English and Japanese casts, they're almost mirrored. In the Japanese cast almost every character has naturalistic voice, while Goku (as an adult) is the only one with a voice that defies reality. In the English cast its inversed. Goku sounds like a normal man, but every other character sounds like some kind of put-on caricature. So even though I can understand why people would prefer adult Goku to have the voice of an adult, I just can't understand how they can tolerate every other voice being kinda goofy in the same way.
The difference between Goku and Bart is that we only see adult Bart for a some episodes. Compared to Goku where he grows up and stays as an adult. So we really don't get a lot of exposure of an adult Bart voiced by a woman. I wonder how English speaking fans would have reacted if Bart had grown up permanently and had kept the same voice actress?

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Bajosexto wrote:The difference between Goku and Bart is that we only see adult Bart for a some episodes. Compared to Goku where he grows up and stays as an adult. So we really don't get a lot of exposure of an adult Bart voiced by a woman. I wonder how English speaking fans would have reacted if Bart had grown up permanently and had kept the same voice actress?
I think that had Bart grown up permanently fans wouldn't react kindly to a sudden change in voice, because the voice is what really makes the character. Lose the voice, lose the character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 18, 2017 7:43 pm

I think they'd react more to Bart growing up. Bart's character is that of a 10 year old boy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Wed May 24, 2017 10:05 am

I'm not sure if this gear-grinder needs to be spoiler-tagged in this section because it's originally from Resurrection 'F', but it is a commentary on Super.

[spoiler]I want to like SSJB on an aesthetics level, but it absolutely grinds my gears that when colored it receives such an oversaturated shade of blue -- particularly when there's no aura surrounding it. It's so ugly, imo, and really stands out as off-putting during the battles against Goku Black/Zamasu in the future timeline. A pale blue for the hair/eyebrows would've made an astonishing difference and would also better compliment the tranquility aspect of the transformation. What were they thinking? Ugh

I'm also partial to the original SSJ transformations being pale gold without the aura. It looks so good.[/spoiler]

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat May 27, 2017 4:51 pm

These criticism about the DBS manga annoyed the hell out of me, examples include
    - Toyo is a fanfic writer:what does that even mean,I don't understand that logic,how is he a fanfic writer, but his manga is grounded in reality with nothing crazy happening like xicor, plenty of fan service, favoritism on a oc,etc.that criticism is a cop out, people just say that because they want to hate on the manga More because is getting more praised
      -is the goku and​ Vegeta show: clearly when some people say this,it looks they don't bother re reading the manga,I'm not gonna repeat myself, here my thoughts on the cast usage of the manga viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38706&p=1316851#p1316851[list][/list]-All he do is trace to the og db manga and he has no originality in his figth: another criticism that is common,is not tracing rather is a homage if anything,I could understand This criticism but not all his figth had homages, take Black vs trunks,I think MZ vs Goku round 2,hit vs goku, kibito vs zamas, maggetta vs Vegeta,hit vs vegeta, goku and Vegeta vs Black and zamasu in chapter 20, piccolo vs Frost, botamo vs goku, Champa vs beerus, goku vs beerus round 1, Goku vs trunks, you see my point
        conclusionsThese criticism are as repetitive as toppo/zamas dialogue,i know the manga is not greatest product out there or that Toyo is not the most talented writer out there, but come on we need to stop the toxicity and obnoxious comment when a leak is out, don't get me started on the day where chapter 13,21,22,23 and 22 leaked
          another tibit,people need to stop being hostile when a person prefer the manga over the anime
          Mostly active on discord.

MaskedRider
          Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun May 28, 2017 1:36 pm

When people use the fanfiction criticism, I get the idea people throw it out there with no rhyme or reason because I can use it too in relation to Dragon Ball and Z.

DBZ Macky
          Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun May 28, 2017 3:46 pm

I don't understand why people are losing their minds over Toyotaro "tracing" over Toriyama's panels. I personally love these homages and it's just so much fun to recognize the panels. It's not like he just literally traces over the Manga and color Piccolo blue or something like that. :roll:
          Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Gog
          I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun May 28, 2017 4:09 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:I don't understand why people are losing their minds over Toyotaro "tracing" over Toriyama's panels. I personally love these homages and it's just so much fun to recognize the panels. It's not like he just literally traces over the Manga and color Piccolo blue or something like that. :roll:
          Because tracing in on itself is something that requires minimal effort, and is generally frowned upon. And if he's not tracing the manga beat by beat you can call that referencing so I don't see a problem then.

AnimeMaakuo
          Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun May 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Anything produced after DBGT grinds my gears.
          My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

DBZ Macky
          Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun May 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Gog wrote:
          DBZ Macky wrote:I don't understand why people are losing their minds over Toyotaro "tracing" over Toriyama's panels. I personally love these homages and it's just so much fun to recognize the panels. It's not like he just literally traces over the Manga and color Piccolo blue or something like that. :roll:
          Because tracing in on itself is something that requires minimal effort, and is generally frowned upon. And if he's not tracing the manga beat by beat you can call that referencing so I don't see a problem then.
          Low effort does not equal poor product. Toriyama especially was a master of cutting corners. And while I don't want to admit it, I'd say I'm very inspired by him in that regard :P
          Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Gog
          I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun May 28, 2017 4:33 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:
          Gog wrote:
          Low effort does not equal poor product. Toriyama especially was a master of cutting corners. And while I don't want to admit it, I'd say I'm very inspired by him in that regard :P
          Toriyama was a hard worker himself, who worked hard for 11 years, and with a deadline of one week. I don't see how that's a proper comparison. We're all inspired by a lot of people... Mine being Godzilla. Child me loved him.

DBZ Macky
          Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun May 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Gog wrote:
          DBZ Macky wrote:
          Gog wrote:
          Toriyama was a hard worker himself, who worked hard for 11 years, and with a deadline of one week. I don't see how that's a proper comparison. We're all inspired by a lot of people... Mine being Godzilla. Child me loved him.
          Well, you could pretty much make the same argument for Toyotaro. Granted, he doesn't have weekly deadlines, but he also doesn't have the experience under his belt that Toriyama must have had after already working for a successful Manga like Dr. Slump. His only real work experience is still from his days as a Fan-Mangaka and his work for DB Heroes. Even then, the DBS Manga is frequently praised for its art (except for the god-awful necks once in a while).

Of course Toriyama was a mad machine back in the day. Nobody can make a successful Manga by doing nothing. Toriyama knew just when and where to cut corners, and that's why he's such a genius IMO.

Kanassa
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun May 28, 2017 6:27 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Anything produced after DBGT grinds my gears.
          So, you can't enjoy anything made after 19 November 1997? Damn, how do you find entertainment? :D
          When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
          FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
          - FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

GreatSaiyaJeff
          Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon May 29, 2017 3:09 pm

Fans who think they are better because they watch subs and look down on fans who like the dub more. Also on the other end, fans who only watch the dub and don't have an open mind to watch the sub and keep on going on how Goku is voiced by a girl.
          "I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

8000 Saiyan
          I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:54 pm

How hypocritical fans can be.
          "It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
          Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:38 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:How hypocritical fans can be.
          Sure, but could you be specific?
          The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
          "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
          Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
          I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:48 pm

ABED wrote:
          8000 Saiyan wrote:How hypocritical fans can be.
          Sure, but could you be specific?
          I'll give you one example: There's this one guy who used to post a lot on Kanzenshuu who said he didn't mind cartoony voices in the Funi dub, yet he hated the Ocean dub for having cartoony voices. I have a feeling this guy hates Canadians.
          "It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Can you PM me his name to avoid drama?
          Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
          90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dbs fanboy
          Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:49 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Anything produced after DBGT grinds my gears.
          God damn, so Battle of Gods, 2008 special and (if you want to count them) manga stories such as Jaco the Patrolman or Neko Majin Z were that bad?

By the way, budokai tenkaichi 3? Budokai 3? Xenoverse?
          I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote: