Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:05 am

Generalizations. When episode 66 came out, it was horrible. You had people who liked the episode, deciding why people didn't like, and then you had people who didn't like the episode, saying that everyone who liked the episode a fanboy (granted I saw that a lot less). Some people like shit that you don't, and some people dislike stuff that you like.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:14 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:Generalizations. When episode 66 came out, it was horrible. You had people who liked the episode, deciding why people didn't like, and then you had people who didn't like the episode, saying that everyone who liked the episode a fanboy (granted I saw that a lot less). Some people like shit that you don't, and some people dislike stuff that you like.
We have to make generalizations, that's how language works. Without them, we regress to a state of inconvenience, and conversations can't go anywhere.

On a related note, it bugs me when people display their distaste, or even blatant hatred towards something, yet they don't offer any ideas for improvement, or even acknowledge a specific problem to begin with. Without innovation, critique is worthless. This is a problem especially in fan communities like this one. I think it has something to do with the fact that a large portion of the people spreading their ideas are young and/or haven't learned to communicate properly yet, but it's an issue nonetheless, albeit an unsolvable one. I guess if you gave everyone a literacy test and an extensive writing assignment before joining, but that's a little too absurd even for me.
Retired.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:24 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Generalizations. When episode 66 came out, it was horrible. You had people who liked the episode, deciding why people didn't like, and then you had people who didn't like the episode, saying that everyone who liked the episode a fanboy (granted I saw that a lot less). Some people like shit that you don't, and some people dislike stuff that you like.
We have to make generalizations, that's how language works. Without them, we regress to a state of inconvenience, and conversations can't go anywhere.
Oh yeah, I get generalizations, and there's a truth to them, but when you're deciding why people dislike/like something, that's just ridiculous.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:36 pm

For some reason whenever somebody says that the arcosians(Frieza race) is asexual, really annoys to no end. Especially considering the members of the species that we have seen all have glaring difference's between them

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Gog wrote:For some reason whenever somebody says that the arcosians(Frieza race) is asexual
Oh, geez. I swear this is all in good fun, so please don't think I'm coming after you, but, well, since we're here... what really grinds my gears is when people refer to Freeza's race as "Arcosians." Sorry! :P :oops:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Gog wrote:For some reason whenever somebody says that the arcosians(Frieza race) is asexual
Oh, geez. I swear this is all in good fun, so please don't think I'm coming after you, but, well, since we're here... what really grinds my gears is when people refer to Freeza's race as "Arcosians." Sorry! :P :oops:
Yeah I know, but its the best name I've found for them

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
But I got a question who the hell comes up with the name arcosians/ frost demon and I'm pretty sure frieza race is asexual
Mostly active on discord.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 pm

The gr wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:
But I got a question who the hell comes up with the name arcosians/ frost demon and I'm pretty sure frieza race is asexual
The term Arcosian is a dubism, and Frost Demon is whatever the hell Slagir calls them in dragon ball multiverse. But their not, because with what we have seen just suggests other wise.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:47 pm

The gr wrote:But I got a question who the hell comes up with the name arcosians/ frost demon and I'm pretty sure frieza race is asexual
Arcosian originally comes from the 1996 Z English dub, in a filler scene where Kaio is explaining to Goku the history of the Saiyans. He claims that the Saiyans were approached by the Arcosians who offered them money and technology in exchange for their fighting services. Now this scene was not animated at a time when anyone knew what a Freeza was, nor do the aliens in the scene appear to resemble Freeza. No official dub source (to my knowledge) has ever linked the name Arcosian to anyone of Freeza's species. But fans took the leap and extrapolated the name to apply to Freeza and his family.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
The gr wrote:But I got a question who the hell comes up with the name arcosians/ frost demon and I'm pretty sure frieza race is asexual
Arcosian originally comes from the 1996 Z English dub, in a filler scene where Kaio is explaining to Goku the history of the Saiyans. He claims that the Saiyans were approached by the Arcosians who offered them money and technology in exchange for their fighting services. Now this scene was not animated at a time when anyone knew what a Freeza was, nor do the aliens in the scene appear to resemble Freeza. No official dub source (to my knowledge) has ever linked the name Arcosian to anyone of Freeza's species. But fans took the leap and extrapolated the name to apply to Freeza and his family.
Gog wrote:
The term Arcosian is a dubism, and Frost Demon is whatever the hell Slagir calls them in dragon ball multiverse. But their not, because with what we have seen just suggests other wise.
thanks for the history lesson gaffer tape and Gog :D

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:55 pm

The gr wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Gog wrote:
The gr wrote:
thanks for the history lesson gaffer tape and Gog :D
Professor Gog, is the best at what he does, history lessons :D

Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Frost Demon was also used once in the English localization for Xenoverse, which gives it a quasi-official standing (in the rest of the game, outside this one scene, they are called the Freeza Race and/or Freeza Clan). But, AFAIK it's not in the original Japanese.

This name bugs me probably even more than Arcosian does, since we have multiple types of demons in the story and Freeza is not among them. Plus, we actually have a guy named Frost now, so it's kind of like if a guy named Steve was a member of a race called "Steve Demons"

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:38 pm

I just call them Frost Demons because Freeza Race or Freeza's Race sounds incredibly stupid (no offense to anyone who uses them, of course). I'd headcanon that Frost was named after his Race, at least until we get some kind of official name; not that I really see that happening anytime soon.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:53 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

On a related note, it bugs me when people display their distaste, or even blatant hatred towards something, yet they don't offer any ideas for improvement, or even acknowledge a specific problem to begin with. Without innovation, critique is worthless. This is a problem especially in fan communities like this one. I think it has something to do with the fact that a large portion of the people spreading their ideas are young and/or haven't learned to communicate properly yet, but it's an issue nonetheless, albeit an unsolvable one. I guess if you gave everyone a literacy test and an extensive writing assignment before joining, but that's a little too absurd even for me.
Interesting that you mention this. I was on the DB board on GameFAQs a while back (horrible place, I highly recommend people stay away from it), stupidly conversing with some people who had a strong hatred for Super. I suggested that instead of just repeatedly complaining about the same old things, they actually offer ideas as to what they'd like the series to improve on, and what they would like to see from it. I was lambasted for suggesting this, and was told it wasn't their job to think about ways the series can improve, but the writers' jobs. Guess some people don't understand the value of constructive criticism, even if only on a superficial level.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:02 pm

There's another thing that annoys me in DB fandom design and power level ≠ character that's infuriating and annoying and the fact that the fandom judges characters like that because of their power level like seriously krillin is way more interesting than Goten broly and all the movie with the exception of some despite being weaker

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:26 pm

"Frost Demon" is better than "Freeza's Race", so I guess we have things better than the Star Wars fandom do for "Yoda's Race".

Having said that, I personally don't think about Freeza's people much, because when I think seriously about it, I start to wonder why the only members of the species we've seen so far are Freeza, King Cold, and Frost. Yeah, we've also seen Chilled and Cooler, but those were in movies of dubious canonicity. You'd think if there's a whole race of people like Freeza, we might've seen more of them? Are they like the Namekians were to Piccolo in that Freeza and King Cold being evil is the exception, not the rule? Surely they'd be hunting down Freeza as some kind of space criminal if they are a good lot in general? And if not, surely more of them would want to have a go at killing Goku and co.?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote:"Frost Demon" is better than "Freeza's Race", so I guess we have things better than the Star Wars fandom do for "Yoda's Race".

Having said that, I personally don't think about Freeza's people much, because when I think seriously about it, I start to wonder why the only members of the species we've seen so far are Freeza, King Cold, and Frost. Yeah, we've also seen Chilled and Cooler, but those were in movies of dubious canonicity. You'd think if there's a whole race of people like Freeza, we might've seen more of them? Are they like the Namekians were to Piccolo in that Freeza and King Cold being evil is the exception, not the rule? Surely they'd be hunting down Freeza as some kind of space criminal if they are a good lot in general? And if not, surely more of them would want to have a go at killing Goku and co.?
Or they just don't care about what Frieza does and what happens to him.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:59 pm

Robo4900 wrote:"Frost Demon" is better than "Freeza's Race", so I guess we have things better than the Star Wars fandom do for "Yoda's Race".

Freeza and his dad are mutations that are unnaturally strong. They couldn't hunt Goku or Freeza down because they're weak.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Meh there not strong enough, they don't know where Goku, and Co are, so I imagine that there were rumors about Freeza and King cold's deaths, they were too afraid, about the monstrous super Saiyan. Or they couldn't transform as they weren't mutants, like Cold, Freeza and a few more people of their race.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:55 pm

When someone says "Well Super being a piece of crap isn't Toriyama/Toei's fault!". Well of course! It's actually the fault of a secret race war between the unicorns and crab people over the Iron Throne of fucking Narnia! Seriously, even if you're someone who likes this show, loves it even, you cannot, CAN.NOT! tell me that the production of it isn't fucked harder than life itself.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):