Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Gog » Thu May 11, 2017 5:13 pm

I really dislike the whole entire smug, arrogant, and smug character immediately becomes enraged when someone is beating them in combat. It's painfully noticeable in King Piccolo, because he's just the most cocky thing to ever grace Dragon Ball, and it's beautiful. The whole rage quit aspect of villains becomes even more annoying when it's basically an aspect of every single main villain.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Gog wrote:I really dislike the whole entire smug, arrogant, and smug character immediately becomes enraged when someone is beating them in combat. It's painfully noticeable in King Piccolo, because he's just the most cocky thing to ever grace Dragon Ball, and it's beautiful. The whole rage quit aspect of villains becomes even more annoying when it's basically an aspect of every single main villain.
You shouldn't read My Hero Academia then :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu May 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:How little effort Super puts into transformations.
90% of them are lame with pretty bad screenplay.
That's a lopsided way to look at it, don't you think? The important transformations are given proper care, and subsequent transformations are handled as well as anything else. To expect every transformation to stand out in a series with action that moves at Dragon Ball Super's quick, more realistic pace isn't a reasonable expectation.
It's not only that though, once they are actually transformed into SSJ or whatever, the art looks weird sometimes.
I just remember back to when characters transformed In Z, It was visually appealing. The hair was animated nice, along with the aura.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Something about Supers for the most part, seems off. There's been a few that I actually like, but In Z It just looks so much better. And those gifs I selected, weren't really major transformations.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:44 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:How little effort Super puts into transformations.
90% of them are lame with pretty bad screenplay.
That's a lopsided way to look at it, don't you think? The important transformations are given proper care, and subsequent transformations are handled as well as anything else. To expect every transformation to stand out in a series with action that moves at Dragon Ball Super's quick, more realistic pace isn't a reasonable expectation.
It's not only that though, once they are actually transformed into SSJ or whatever, the art looks weird sometimes.
I just remember back to when characters transformed In Z, It was visually appealing. The hair was animated nice, along with the aura.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Something about Supers for the most part, seems off. There's been a few that I actually like, but In Z It just looks so much better. And those gifs I selected, weren't really major transformations.
I'd say they're all major except the last one

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu May 11, 2017 9:00 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Something about Supers for the most part, seems off. There's been a few that I actually like, but In Z It just looks so much better. And those gifs I selected, weren't really major transformations.
A lot of those examples were huge hype-moments, but I think I get you. The lack of those types of transformations would most likely be attributed to storyboards. It just isn't in the current style.
Retired.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun May 14, 2017 10:16 pm

You know what grinds my gears? When I say prefer something in Old dub than in Kai, I get bombarded by so many people calling me a nostalgiatard. I hate that.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:27 pm

The Patrolman wrote:You know what grinds my gears? When I say prefer something in Old dub than in Kai, I get bombarded by so many people calling me a nostalgiatard. I hate that.
To be fair, it's a side effect of the immense and unreasonable hate given to the Kai dub, and to the Japanese version, by OG Funi fans. Go watch an old Funi dub video, you don't see hardly any Kai or Japanese fans there. Then watch a Kai/Japanese video and all you see is OG Funi fans saying the worst things about them. Couple this with the insane amount of disrespect the OG Funi dub gives to the original version of Dragon Ball and it's a hard argument.

Although yes, the term "nostalgiatard" is very annoying to see. This word doesn't seem to get used here so I don't know where you've seen it, but if it was you commenting on a Kai video then maybe just don't watch it if you don't like it

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Mon May 15, 2017 1:14 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Gog wrote:I really dislike the whole entire smug, arrogant, and smug character immediately becomes enraged when someone is beating them in combat. It's painfully noticeable in King Piccolo, because he's just the most cocky thing to ever grace Dragon Ball, and it's beautiful. The whole rage quit aspect of villains becomes even more annoying when it's basically an aspect of every single main villain.
You shouldn't read My Hero Academia then :P
But Shigaraki is the only one who fits this definition in MHA. In Dragon Ball, you've got Piccolo acting all smug and arrogant, then Raditz, then Nappa and Vegeta, then Freeza who starts the whole trend of "Can't beat you so just gonna blow the fucking planet", then Androids 19 and 20 act all smug until the end despite being heavily, heavily outclassed. Cell was interesting when he was weaker than 17 and 18 but then he just becomes like Freeza. Boo didn't give a shit until Gohan arrived and started being smug after that until he reverted into Pure Boo.

We don't have a single villain like Stain in Dragon Ball (Zamasu comes close though) and all of them pretty much belong to the same cliché category. Not like it's a bad thing though.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 15, 2017 1:21 am

DBZ Macky wrote: We don't have a single villain like Stain in Dragon Ball (Zamasu comes close though) and all of them pretty much belong to the same cliché category. Not like it's a bad thing though.
The only villain who I would consider to not be in the same cliché category would be Goku Black. And, I do consider the Smug Villain when losing completely loses his shit to be a bad thing, it's happen just too many times for my liking, heck I didn't even like it when King Piccolo did it first.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm

While it doesn't grind my gears per se, I find it weird when people call the first arc the "Son Goku arc". If there's one part of the series where Goku doesn't drive the plot in any way or the story is not building him up it's that one.
Hell, I think calling it the "Bulma arc" would be more appropriate than that.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Gog wrote:
DBZ Macky wrote: We don't have a single villain like Stain in Dragon Ball (Zamasu comes close though) and all of them pretty much belong to the same cliché category. Not like it's a bad thing though.
The only villain who I would consider to not be in the same cliché category would be Goku Black. And, I do consider the Smug Villain when losing completely loses his shit to be a bad thing, it's happen just too many times for my liking, heck I didn't even like it when King Piccolo did it first.
I agree that it can be overused, but you have issue with the first DB supervillain losing his cool?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:10 pm

https://i.gyazo.com/0e8b779276cabf0e724 ... ffb45f.png

This kinda stuff is getting really old now. Still just as annoying though.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm

"In Instance"

I'm out.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon May 15, 2017 4:54 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:https://i.gyazo.com/0e8b779276cabf0e724 ... ffb45f.png

This kinda stuff is getting really old now. Still just as annoying though.
It's better to ignore those people, not paying attention to them.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon May 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Draconic wrote:While it doesn't grind my gears per se, I find it weird when people call the first arc the "Son Goku arc". If there's one part of the series where Goku doesn't drive the plot in any way or the story is not building him up it's that one.
Hell, I think calling it the "Bulma arc" would be more appropriate than that.
It should actually be the "Hunt for DBs arc" or " Dragon Balls arc"
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 15, 2017 6:28 pm

ABED wrote:
Gog wrote:
I agree that it can be overused, but you have issue with the first DB supervillain losing his cool?
Honestly, I dislike the whole trope as a whole. And, I really disliked it's use with King Piccolo, he's a fantastic villain, cocky, arrogant, and all around really entertaining. But, I really dislike it when he suddenly loses his cool.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 15, 2017 6:43 pm

I find that silly to dislike the trope. It's true that some cocky people lose their shit when things don't go their way. Cocky and arrogant doesn't mean self assured, it means they are masking insecurity. That's basic human psychology. One of the great aspects of Piccolo is how scared he is of the Mafuba. If he was cocky all the time then he'd be just another mustache twirling villain.

When Freeza destroys Namek's core after taking a beating, that's a great strategy. He can survive in space and his enemy can't.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 15, 2017 7:06 pm

ABED wrote:I find that silly to dislike the trope. It's true that some cocky people lose their shit when things don't go their way. Cocky and arrogant doesn't mean self assured, it means they are masking insecurity. That's basic human psychology. One of the great aspects of Piccolo is how scared he is of the Mafuba. If he was cocky all the time then he'd be just another mustache twirling villain.

When Freeza destroys Namek's core after taking a beating, that's a great strategy. He can survive in space and his enemy can't.
It's personal opinion for why I dislike the trope, many times it feels tacked on for the characters. And I liked Piccolo's fear of the Mafuba, it was understandable considering what he went through, and it gave him some depth. I just really didn't like when he completely raged when he was losing. I've seen it too many times, and it felt off for his character as a whole.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Gog wrote:
It's personal opinion for why I dislike the trope, many times it feels tacked on for the characters. And I liked Piccolo's fear of the Mafuba, it was understandable considering what he went through, and it gave him some depth. I just really didn't like when he completely raged when he was losing. I've seen it too many times, and it felt off for his character as a whole.
I don't remember him going that crazy over losing, just growing more and more desperate as to use more dirty tactics.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Gog wrote:
I don't remember him going that crazy over losing, just growing more and more desperate as to use more dirty tactics.
He did get more and more angry when he started losing, he also started using more dirty tactics as well.