Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 am

Tombstone1988 wrote:One recent thing that grinds my gears is the members of the community who are "anti-power scaling," for lack of a better term. This is NOT referring to anyone who dislikes or even hates power levels and power scaling in the series; those are legitimate opinions to have. I'm talking about people who apparently find joy in people that get frustrated or confused over bad scaling moments. People who like power scaling in the show like it for reasons; for me, it's because it creates a set of rules that the show loosely follows. However, there seems to be a rising number of people who despise power scaling so much that they want it to be intentionally nonsensical just to mess with people that like it. A year ago I would have called it trolling, but there's enough people with that mindset now that it's frankly quite annoying.
I don't even feel like it's just people who hate power scaling that do this but a few people who enjoy outrage in general. I've seen the same thing with fans of certain characters, hoping said characters get beaten up or humiliated just to see the fans rage.

I don't know if I would say it grinds my gears, but I do find it odd to want to grind others gears.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am

I don't know if I would say it grinds my gears, but I do find it odd to want to grind others gears.[/quote]
The very concept of comedy is based in another's misery. While it can be a duck move, I wouldn't say it 's odd. Finding entertainment in outrage that the person perceives as overreacting is pretty normal.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am

Kanassa wrote: The very concept of comedy is based in another's misery. While it can be a duck move, I wouldn't say it 's odd. Finding entertainment in outrage that the person perceives as overreacting is pretty normal.
There is a bit of truth to that. Some comedy comes from misery and I can see why someone would laugh at an overreaction of someone else, but there are times where it's just plain odd to find pleasure in someone just being upset. Though I suppose that could also depend on the situation and the people involved, I'm certainly not above being a little petty at times.
Last edited by Boo Machine on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:43 am

The very concept of comedy is based in another's misery.
What? Not sure what that means. Are you saying "comedy" in a broad sense, or as it applies to this case? I can think of plenty of comedy that doesn't have to do with misery.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:16 am

Boo Machine wrote:I don't even feel like it's just people who hate power scaling that do this but a few people who enjoy outrage in general. I've seen the same thing with fans of certain characters, hoping said characters get beaten up or humiliated just to see the fans rage.
I wasn't even thinking about that when I made my post, but you're right, I've seen that going around in regard to specific characters as well. I think you have a point when it comes to the fact that some people just like causing outrage. It's silly and immature, but this is the Internet.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
Tombstone1988 wrote:One recent thing that grinds my gears is the members of the community who are "anti-power scaling," for lack of a better term. This is NOT referring to anyone who dislikes or even hates power levels and power scaling in the series; those are legitimate opinions to have. I'm talking about people who apparently find joy in people that get frustrated or confused over bad scaling moments. People who like power scaling in the show like it for reasons; for me, it's because it creates a set of rules that the show loosely follows. However, there seems to be a rising number of people who despise power scaling so much that they want it to be intentionally nonsensical just to mess with people that like it. A year ago I would have called it trolling, but there's enough people with that mindset now that it's frankly quite annoying.
I don't even feel like it's just people who hate power scaling that do this but a few people who enjoy outrage in general. I've seen the same thing with fans of certain characters, hoping said characters get beaten up or humiliated just to see the fans rage.

I don't know if I would say it grinds my gears, but I do find it odd to want to grind others gears.
Yeah. Many people just excuse it as "they're as strong as the plot requires them to be" which makes no sense if they can't even keep it consistent

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:31 pm

It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Cartoons are serious shit bro, but seriously it's all in good fun discussion.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
I seriously doubt any people here are that upset about these things. Their just expressing things that kinda annoy them about the series/fandom. Chill dude.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:15 pm

The Android/Cell arc. It is so bad writing wise, the entire arc only happens and gets elongated because the main cast are written like total f**cking idiots. Some being stupidly selfish to foolishly horny for god sake Krillin she kissed you big whoop keep it in your pants the entire Eath rests on you, eurgh. Goku LITERALLY get's told at FACE VALUE that he dies from an incurable disease in current timeline gets given a cure but doesn't take it because "nothing it wrong with him at the moment" WHAT THE F**K, I know Goku can be an idiot but this was something else all so Toriyama can contrively have Goku written out so we can have "tension".

That is the just the surface, this arc is a walking disaster, too think when Gohan and Cell were waving off in the end more or less all of that happened because they didn't take Gero out because "he hadn't done anything wrong yet".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:22 pm

The Buu arc is WAY worse.
gets given a cure but doesn't take it because "nothing it wrong with him at the moment"
Perhaps that's not how the cure works. It might not be a preventative. Perhaps you have to have the virus for the cure to work.
too think when Gohan and Cell were waving off in the end more or less all of that happened because they didn't take Gero out because "he hadn't done anything wrong yet".
I think that's a dub thing. They allowed Gero to create the cyborgs explicitly because they wanted to fight them. They weren't out to save the world and simply picked the dumbest way to go about it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Trunks gave him a medicine not a vaccine and the only stupidly selfish moments l think of in the Android arc all connect to Veneta. Which at the time he was epitome of, regardless even with all the writing pitfalls the Cell arc has, it doesn’t come close to any one of DBS arcs which are written like shit.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 am

Regarding the dubisms in subtitles, I'm a dub fan so seeing stuff like "Master Roshi" in the subtitles don't bother me too much.

You know what is bad though? "King Kai Fist". The official subtitles for Super use that; it's a literal translation of a Japanese word, but with the English dub equivalent for Kaio, even though in the dub they JUST SAY KAIOKEN. It slipped the net for episode 39 since that wasn't being officially subbed at the time, but now they've been working it in since. I'm thinking of the one-hour special coming up and we get the big epic moment..."King Kai Fist x20"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 am

People regurgitating fan boy lies then passing it off as 100% fact to look cool such as Toriyama bringing back Goku not because he realized Gohan was a boring protagonist (which WAS the reason) but because the fans strong armed him into doing.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 am

ekrolo2 wrote:People regurgitating fan boy lies then passing it off as 100% fact to look cool such as Toriyama bringing back Goku not because he realized Gohan was a boring protagonist (which WAS the reason) but because the fans strong armed him into doing.
Wait do people still believe that rumor
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The Android/Cell arc. It is so bad writing wise, the entire arc only happens and gets elongated because the main cast are written like total f**cking idiots. Some being stupidly selfish to foolishly horny for god sake Krillin she kissed you big whoop keep it in your pants the entire Eath rests on you, eurgh. Goku LITERALLY get's told at FACE VALUE that he dies from an incurable disease in current timeline gets given a cure but doesn't take it because "nothing it wrong with him at the moment" WHAT THE F**K, I know Goku can be an idiot but this was something else all so Toriyama can contrively have Goku written out so we can have "tension".

That is the just the surface, this arc is a walking disaster, too think when Gohan and Cell were waving off in the end more or less all of that happened because they didn't take Gero out because "he hadn't done anything wrong yet".
Yup This is sums up why the cell saga is my least favorite,is that the main cast hold idiot ball too much and I Also hated it because vegeta was at it's worse here
Mostly active on discord.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Letting the cyborgs be created isn't dumb. I wish you guys would pick another adjective. They weren't out to save the world. The aim was to have a good fight.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:42 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:People regurgitating fan boy lies then passing it off as 100% fact to look cool such as Toriyama bringing back Goku not because he realized Gohan was a boring protagonist (which WAS the reason) but because the fans strong armed him into doing.
Whoa, are we acting like Gohan at the start of the Boo arc isn't fantastic ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:10 pm

[quote="Kataphrut"]Regarding the dubisms in subtitles, I'm a dub fan so seeing stuff like "Master Roshi" in the subtitles don't bother me too much.

It's not that hard to just translate what's being said by the characters. Some characters like Krillin and Yamcha call him Muten Roshi Sama out of respect, Goku calls him "gramps or old timer" because he's informal and careless, and he refers to himself as the Kame Sennin(Turtle Hermit). I'm not hating on the dub for simplifying things but subtitles should be very close to a direct translation.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:23 pm

I just finished watching the episode of the Kai dub where Gohan beats the shit out of super buu. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by two things; first I was a bit sad when Gohan didn't call him a retard as I was really looking forward to that, and second the fact that Dende isn't referred to as "god of earth" at this point it's still "guardian of earth". The guardian/god thing might just be a continuity thing from their part 1 Dragon Ball dub, but that first one just seem's like an effort to be PC.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:33 pm

The gr wrote:Yup This is sums up why the cell saga is my least favorite,is that the main cast hold idiot ball too much and I Also hated it because vegeta was at it's worse here.
It's the start of the whole "Saiyans love battles so they'll do stupid things to have a good one". It's a cop out writing wise that's just sadly now till this day so over used.
ABED wrote:Letting the cyborgs be created isn't dumb. I wish you guys would pick another adjective. They weren't out to save the world. The aim was to have a good fight.
Then why where they getting pissy when humans were dying then? Surely by that logic they shouldn't care?