Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Pantalones » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 pm

People here and elsewhere used it to distinguish between the original three anime series, so they'd say Ball, Z and GT, because the first series didn't have a suffix.
That's so odd. I know I've seen people say "DB, Z, and GT", which seems to me like the obvious way to shorten them all... shortening Dragon Ball to just "Ball" by itself is about the most clunky, awkward way to do it.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:53 am

I haven't seen this on this site, but it irritates me when people constantly bash GT and Super to the point where thats the only thing they ever talk about.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:41 am

dbgtFO wrote:People here and elsewhere used it to distinguish between the original three anime series, so they'd say Ball, Z and GT, because the first series didn't have a suffix.
Ball? :lol:

Guy A: I've been watching Ball and it's so freaking awesome!
Guy B: So, uh, which sports channel do they broadcast that?

Guy A: It's not a sport show.
Guy B: What is it then?

Guy A: It's a Japanese cartoon series.
Guy B: Which one?

Guy A: Dragon Ball.
Guy B: Why the fuck not just say Dragon Ball, then?

Guy A: I thought it was smart to just call it 'Ball' as it shortens it.
Guy B: Yeah, right. Let's just watch that then.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:02 pm

When people tend to capitalize every word in their sentence. It drives me insane and makes me feel like I'm reading stuff that was written by robots.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:10 pm

That Has Nothing To Do With Dragon Ball. Beep. Boop.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:05 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:When people tend to capitalize every word in their sentence. It drives me insane and makes me feel like I'm reading stuff that was written by robots.
Ah, you mean Runescape caps? (That game's chat forces all-caps into... that format.) It is extremely weird for people to put the effort into writing wrong like that. But this isn't really Dragon Ball related.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:00 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:When people tend to capitalize every word in their sentence. It drives me insane and makes me feel like I'm reading stuff that was written by robots.
That Isn’t Really On Topic.

What grinds my gears are people saying that DBS is better than DB/Z.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:06 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:What grinds my gears are people saying that DBS is better than DB/Z.
I find it funny when some people say DBS is amazing or better than DB/Z. Obviously, these kind of fans are newcomers who didn't grow up with Classic Dragon Ball so they think it's the best out there. :lol:

In Dragon Ball Super they even made Freeza into a good guy, the same guy who destroyed planets! I guess one could argue that Broli can be a good guy too when he's not pissed off.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:27 am

So, apparently, Satan using the term "fake news" in Super chapter 31 is DB poking fun at Donald Trump.

Because, as we all know, Donald Trump is the alpha and omega of all things ever and everything is somehow a commentary on or take that at him. Even Dragon Ball which doesn't give a flying fuck about politics, politically obsessed lunatics are gonna make it a thing.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:15 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:So, apparently, Satan using the term "fake news" in Super chapter 31 is DB poking fun at Donald Trump.

Because, as we all know, Donald Trump is the alpha and omega of all things ever and everything is somehow a commentary on or take that at him. Even Dragon Ball which doesn't give a flying fuck about politics, politically obsessed lunatics are gonna make it a thing.
As much as I don't care for Trump at all... people can't seem to shut up about him and that can get annoying after a while... especially when it shows up in entertainment.

Anyway, was that in the official translations or a fan translation thing?
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:37 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:So, apparently, Satan using the term "fake news" in Super chapter 31 is DB poking fun at Donald Trump.

As much as I don't care for Trump at all... people can't seem to shut up about him and that can get annoying after a while... especially when it shows up in entertainment.

Agreed. I don't agree with most of Trump's ideas but not everything has to be political or involve him.

Recoome's English dub voice grinds my gears. Its just annoying every time he talks.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:17 pm

GamerSkull wrote:

Official one from Viz for chapter 31:

Someone saw the fake news thing and said they like Hercule less now that he's quoting Trump and I just want to facepalm at the very notion Toriyama or Toyotaro actually wrote him saying that.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:20 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:

Official one from Viz for chapter 31:

Someone saw the fake news thing and said they like Hercule less now that he's quoting Trump and I just want to facepalm at the very notion Toriyama or Toyotaro actually wrote him saying that.
I think it might be Viz taking liberties again. I really hate when they and FUNimation do that.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Well, if there was a way to make Super even worse then this is how.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:46 pm

I’m more concerned that they completely forgot the idea that they wished away the memories of Buu but they still said he saved the world 7 years later

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Gohan being able to go Super Saiyan (and losing the Potential Unleashed thing).

Just make Goku and Vegeta stronger, there's no need to make Gohan weaker as well.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Sub vs Dub Elitist Arguments.

I have my own opinion on which is better and whether to I find both of them enjoyable but I really hate the attitude both dub fans and sub fans have in regards to their preference and the way they both argue with each other. Watch Dragon Ball the way you want to... and if you want to recommend a particular version, then that's fine, but there's no reason to act otherwise if that person decides not to go that route.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Sub vs Dub Elitist Arguments.

I have my own opinion on which is better and whether to I find both of them enjoyable but I really hate the attitude both dub fans and sub fans have in regards to their preference and the way they both argue with each other. Watch Dragon Ball the way you want to... and if you want to recommend a particular version, then that's fine, but there's no reason to act otherwise if that person decides not to go that route.
I agree, but to take this another route, I'm bothered when I criticize Super's English localization by taking too many liberties and everyone telling me I'm the problem and that it's fine. I was really looking forward to Super's dub and people over on the forum seem to not want to allow anyone to be disappointed by the dub.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Something else that grinds my gears is discussing Dragon Ball anywhere but here. A lot of places outside this website are so toxic towards the series. That said, I can't speak for every site, Reddit seems cool and there are others I haven't visited, but many places...aren't cool. The word "garbage" is used to describe everything in Dragon Ball ever to the point that you question why anyone is even there.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Forte224 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:Sub vs Dub Elitist Arguments.

I agree, but to take this another route, I'm bothered when I criticize Super's English localization by taking too many liberties and everyone telling me I'm the problem and that it's fine. I was really looking forward to Super's dub and people over on the forum seem to not want to allow anyone to be disappointed by the dub.
Criticism towards a particular version is alright for me. It's when people are condescending to others who might like a version that they don't that it becomes a huge problem to me.

Let people like what they want. People can criticize an english localization but that doesn't make the people that like that version "not fans".
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"