Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Apslup » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:21 pm

1. How the Namek Saga in the Original DBZ series took forever.

2. Super Dragon Balls. What was the point of introducing them? You can literally switch them out for the Namek or Earth Dragon Balls and it would make no difference to the story.

3. How they haven't officially stated GT to be non-canon. I mean come on with everything that has gone down in Super they might as well just say it.

4. How Super messes up the end of the Manga/Dragon Ball Z.

5. Trunks and Goten getting Super Saiyan without trying. I feel that they should have attained it at the same time they were learning fusion.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:52 pm

They probably don't want to state GT as non-canon because something not being involved with the main timeline may come across to many as saying that it doesn't matter. It might even open the floodgates for saying that all extracanonical content produced doesn't matter, like Heroes and every other non-Tori spinoff manga and all the video games. And hey, it doesn't, but if they say that, they lose a lot of their ability to market the hell out of Super Saiyan 4, all of GT's villains, all the Heroes and Xenoverse and Online content, anything having to do with the movies, Bardock, most filler characters, and basically everything that Toriyama himself didn't create.

And granted, I mostly dislike that stuff so only Bardock would really be that big a loss for me (though Toriyama basically got rid of the guy himself), but it's obvious why they can't straight-up say GT's not really a proper part of the series, because it would be shooting the marketing team in the foot, and there's no real reason to do that when everyone knows it doesn't line up anyway.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Apslup wrote:2. Super Dragon Balls. What was the point of introducing them? You can literally switch them out for the Namek or Earth Dragon Balls and it would make no difference to the story.
I don't think the DB from Earth or Namek are strong enough to bring 7 universe back or even "steal" Goku's body (Porunga couldn't even transport Goku against his will).
Zamazu searching for them again to become inmortal does seem like a waste of time, now that I think about it. Should have just gone to Namek :lol:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:18 am

I hate how Funimation uses "Omni-King". It is correct but I cannot get over the thought that they most likely used that because it was used by the fandom for such a long time already - because of Herms. Herms is a great guy. But he is the fan's translator. His translations should not affect what Funimation uses.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:12 am

If it's correct, what do you want them to do? Use a term that's correct but the fandom likes less? Make up something new? Omni King is accurate to the meaning, and catchy at that.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:14 pm

How certain DB fans just ignore whatever proof you show them because they can't fathom an alternate idea. I recently spoke to someone over whether or not Broly's yellow-eyed state was an actual form all its own and after going back and forth he asked for evidence.

Thanks to a user here I got it from Herms translation of Broly's design sheets from SDCC where they flat out say that yes, yellow-eyed (Anger) Broly is different from regular, Base Broly. So, Word of God translated by the most trustworthy guy on DB translations on the Internet should probably mean someone who get a clue here, right?

Well, you'd be wrong, because I'm still apparently not making any sense and that's not real evidence. I swear if a DBtard thought the sky was red nobody, no Toriyama himself showing up to bash their faces in, screaming that it's NOT red will get them to change their minds.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:28 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:How certain DB fans just ignore whatever proof you show them because they can't fathom an alternate idea. I recently spoke to someone over whether or not Broly's yellow-eyed state was an actual form all its own and after going back and forth he asked for evidence.

Thanks to a user here I got it from Herms translation of Broly's design sheets from SDCC where they flat out say that yes, yellow-eyed (Anger) Broly is different from regular, Base Broly. So, Word of God translated by the most trustworthy guy on DB translations on the Internet should probably mean someone who get a clue here, right?

Well, you'd be wrong, because I'm still apparently not making any sense and that's not real evidence. I swear if a DBtard thought the sky was red nobody, no Toriyama himself showing up to bash their faces in, screaming that it's NOT red will get them to change their minds.
:clap:There are so many instances where something was clear as day but there were people who would deny them simply because they weren't directly stated by someone official or they just didn't want to believe them because...who knows. :crazy:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:35 pm

I hate how Funimation uses "Omni-King". It is correct but I cannot get over the thought that they most likely used that because it was used by the fandom for such a long time already - because of Herms. Herms is a great guy. But he is the fan's translator. His translations should not affect what Funimation uses.
Me too. I've never been too fond of "Omni-King" as a translation of Zen'oh. I'd prefer the name left in Japanese like Kaio-ken and various others are, or if you have to go with a translation then go with the Viz DBZ manga style route -- like how Kaio was "Lord of Worlds" and Kaioshin was "Lord of Lords," Zen'oh can be the "Lord of All."

I assume they went with it mainly to prevent people from reading "Zen'oh" (or one of the various alternate spellings) and wanting to pronounce it as "zee-no" rather than "zen-oh"... but I figure some fans using it beforehand was definitely a factor too.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:50 pm

Omni King sounds unique. Lord of all sounds generic.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:52 pm

Pantalones wrote:
Me too. I've never been too fond of "Omni-King" as a translation of Zen'oh. I'd prefer the name left in Japanese like Kaio-ken and various others are, or if you have to go with a translation then go with the Viz DBZ manga style route -- like how Kaio was "Lord of Worlds" and Kaioshin was "Lord of Lords," Zen'oh can be the "Lord of All."

I assume they went with it mainly to prevent people from reading "Zen'oh" (or one of the various alternate spellings) and wanting to pronounce it as "zee-no" rather than "zen-oh"... but I figure some fans using it beforehand was definitely a factor too.
I think Kaio-ken should have been translated as "Fist of the World King." Sounds metal.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:55 am

How martial arts mastery and aging became more and more separated as time went on. Even tough we have far less skilled human masters than the current generation, people like Tao Pai Pai or Muten Roshi, who are into their 300s with no end in sight, in stuff like GT we have Krillin looking like a geezer, Yamcha all wrinkled up. The only one looking how he should (aka the same!) is Tenshinhan, which I guess is at least fitting.

But no, it seems by this point that is all gone. Between the retcon that Saiyans don't age till their 80s and comments like "by EoZ the characters are too old" (even though by standards set by the series itself, they only lived a fifth of their life!) it seems even Toriyama himself forgot about those roots.

It annoys me to hell, because it takes even more from the common martial arts story trope and tying it to the Saiyans, makes no sense with the established lore and devalues a lot of the training the characters did if it ultimately leads to nothing.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:35 am

How is it a retcon to say Saiyans don't age until their 80s? At the end of Z, Vegeta said the Saiyans retain their youth longer than humans so they can fight longer.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 pm

If it's correct, what do you want them to do? Use a term that's correct but the fandom likes less? Make up something new? Omni King is accurate to the meaning, and catchy at that.
Maybe do exactly what I implied and simply not use a term that was known through fan translators? Who cares if 5 fans like it less. Fandom should not influence things to such an extent. As a matter of fact "Zenou" does not even need to be translated. You can take the title just like Kaioushin or Kaiou, like many countries do. If I am not wrong, then they even use "Zenou" as well so no need for using Omni-King as well.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Um...I dont watch that much Funi Super but I heard Zen'o was still that in the dub ALONG with Omni-King.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Um...I dont watch that much Funi Super but I heard Zen'o was still that in the dub ALONG with Omni-King.
I already said that.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:12 pm

I know, you should be glad that people are backing you up.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Cetra wrote:I hate how Funimation uses "Omni-King". It is correct but I cannot get over the thought that they most likely used that because it was used by the fandom for such a long time already - because of Herms. Herms is a great guy. But he is the fan's translator. His translations should not affect what Funimation uses.
I don’t understand. It’s a correct term, but you don’t like it. But then you’d complain if they used something incorrect.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Cetra wrote:I hate how Funimation uses "Omni-King". It is correct but I cannot get over the thought that they most likely used that because it was used by the fandom for such a long time already - because of Herms. Herms is a great guy. But he is the fan's translator. His translations should not affect what Funimation uses.
I don’t understand. It’s a correct term, but you don’t like it. But then you’d complain if they used something incorrect.
What? That was not even a point that was tackled. The point was to not use stuff that is mainly known though fans. E.g. the dub also uses Zenou. Zenou is the original name so they can stick to that without even needing a "fan overused term". Or King of All for what its worth. Same meaning as Omni-King but not overused and instead of originally coming from fan translations. I have the same problem with "Super-Saiyajin Rosé". "Rosé" makes no sense from a pronunciation perspective. There is no chouon at the end of the name that would lengthen the vowel and thus imitate an "é". You know what makes sense? The German "Rose" with a short "e" like Black says it in Japanese. But "Rosé" appeared and was overused from fans before the Black arc came out in English and then suddenly it was also used. Not that "Rosé" would not fit the colour; I merely used this example because of how the name is written in Japanese and because I am absolutely certain that they used "Rosé" instead of "Rose" also because of the fans.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:02 am

People already saying new Broly is a vast improvement over the old even though everything we've seen of him is the same as before.

What's the characterization? He's a loud, rage monster, same as before. He's a brainwashed goon under his dad's thrall, same as before, he's got a restrained SS form and a big, green pupil less "LSS" one who's power is maximum as fuck, just like before.

I see nothing besides aesthetic things differentiating between the two of them and even then, not always. LSS Broly looks exactly like the old one.

I do not understand how this is already better beyond blind fanboiysm to Toriyama.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:15 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:People already saying new Broly is a vast improvement over the old even though everything we've seen of him is the same as before.

What's the characterization? He's a loud, rage monster, same as before. He's a brainwashed goon under his dad's thrall, same as before, he's got a restrained SS form and a big, green pupil less "LSS" one who's power is maximum as fuck, just like before.

I see nothing besides aesthetic things differentiating between the two of them and even then, not always. LSS Broly looks exactly like the old one.

I do not understand how this is already better beyond blind fanboiysm to Toriyama.
The only thing that kinda gets me on that train is the fact that they seem to have done away with the crying Goku thing, which would already be a massive improvement even if nothing else changes. Every baby has his own tube and they are asleep or in stasis or whatever in there, but they might also not show something like that because why even put that in a trailer, so I don't know. I agree with you, though. Prefering the new design is one thing, but beyond that there's not a lot of info to go on anything else about him.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW