Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:31 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:What do people here think of Akira Kamiya's Garlic Jr? I honestly prefer him to Shigeru Chiba in the role.
Me too. Kamiya was mesmerizing. I love Chiba, but his take on Garlic Jr. was nothing special just like the arc itself.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:What do people here think of Akira Kamiya's Garlic Jr? I honestly prefer him to Shigeru Chiba in the role.
Akira Kamiya's Garlic Jr really became a staple for the villain in my mind. Very menacing. It's what I think of when I hear the character. He even did a little Kenshiro scream towards the end of Movie 1.

Kenshiro>Radtiz 8)

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Anybody else here like BOTH Nadolny's and Clinkenbeard's takes on Gohan? I got into the franchise with the latter, but I've experienced way more material with the former. I usually like Clinkenbeard's take a lot more and, admittedly, crap on Nadolny's way more than I should. But, after rewatching the Z dub on my Orange Bricks, I've come to kinda rediscover the aspects that others like about her Gohan.
I prefer much more Naldony, her voice suits better to Kid/Teen Gohan too me than Clinkenbeard.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Speaking of Naldony, I always thought her Gohan and Goku sounded like Pajama Sam.
Bansho64 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I thought you hated Nadolny's Gohan. Or it's just her Goku that you don't like?
Admittedly, I have said I hated both. Like I said earlier, it's her Gohan that I'm coming to like. Goku, I'm still not a fan of.
Huh, it's normal the other way around. I don't hate either, but I'm not a huge fan of them.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:43 am

I've been watching the DBZ Kai 1.0 dub for the first time (well, aside from clips that is) and I'm impressed. I haven't noticed any huge dub errors until the tenth episode ("I've tried to hypnotize him, and he didn't even blink". Um, no, the technique Chaozu attempted involved telekinetic paralysis, not hypnotism)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:05 am

For all my fellow comic book readers, has anyone else realized Zamasu/Black are essentially a reverse of Gor the God Butcher ?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:18 pm

So since the word on #17's shirt "Mir" is Russian for peace and somebody claimed the two twin droids were based on russians, I wanted to know, if that was actually ever stated anywhere, as now it sounds familiar for some reason :think:

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Akira Kamiya's Garlic Jr really became a staple for the villain in my mind. Very menacing. It's what I think of when I hear the character. He even did a little Kenshiro scream towards the end of Movie 1.

Kenshiro>Radtiz 8)
I had only seen the dub version of the Garlic Jr. arc of the Anime until just recently when I watched the original, and I can confirm that Akira Kamiya definitely makes Garlic Jr. sound way, way better than his English counterpart.

The guy has amazing range too. You won't be able to tell that he's the same guy who voices Ryo Saeba (City Hunter) and Mouri Kogoro (Detective Conan). I would definitely like more of him in Dragon Ball.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Oh shit, when did Noah and DBZAOTA482 get temp banned ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:17 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:Oh shit, when did Noah and DBZAOTA482 get temp banned ?
Their member level was too low, so the moderators erased them. We can always wish them back later.
Retired.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:32 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Oh shit, when did Noah and DBZAOTA482 get temp banned ?
Their member level was too low, so the moderators erased them. We can always wish them back later.
God damn it, when will the mods learn VegettoEX only introduce member levels as a meaningless, arbitrary numbers ?

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:42 am

dbgtFO wrote:So since the word on #17's shirt "Mir" is Russian for peace and somebody claimed the two twin droids were based on russians, I wanted to know, if that was actually ever stated anywhere, as now it sounds familiar for some reason :think:
That seems incredibly unlikely. To start, countries in our world aren't present in Dragon World, nevermind a specific ethnic group. Toriyama named one of his dogs after Russian dolls (Matryoshka), No. 19, Gero, & Hoi have Russian-inspired clothing, Vodka & Piroshiki's names are based on Russian products, & if I'm not mistaken, Kuririn talks about Russian takoyaki in Dragon Ball Super. As far as the Toriyama archive goes, I'm at a lost for any legitimate citation towards the twins being Russian.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:25 am

Does anyone have a HQ link for this poster? Cheers.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:10 pm

When Babidi used his magic to spoke with all the inhabitants on Earth and that including 17, why he didn't go face Majin Boo or would he think Goku and cia would deal with the whole conflict? I don't know by his potential he could be useful, never understand his abscence in that arc.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:15 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:So since the word on #17's shirt "Mir" is Russian for peace and somebody claimed the two twin droids were based on russians, I wanted to know, if that was actually ever stated anywhere, as now it sounds familiar for some reason :think:
That seems incredibly unlikely. To start, countries in our world aren't present in Dragon World, nevermind a specific ethnic group. Toriyama named one of his dogs after Russian dolls (Matryoshka), No. 19, Gero, & Hoi have Russian-inspired clothing, Vodka & Piroshiki's names are based on Russian products, & if I'm not mistaken, Kuririn talks about Russian takoyaki in Dragon Ball Super. As far as the Toriyama archive goes, I'm at a lost for any legitimate citation towards the twins being Russian.
Yeah, didn't think so. Thanks :thumbup:
jeffbr92 wrote:When Babidi used his magic to spoke with all the inhabitants on Earth and that including 17, why he didn't go face Majin Boo or would he think Goku and cia would deal with the whole conflict? I don't know by his potential he could be useful, never understand his abscence in that arc.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Or #17 used the same reasoning as in this arc ie. if everyone gets killed, it's fine :D

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:37 pm

This Genki Dama theme is pretty neat :). You can feel the hope in times of despair, the light in the darkness when hearing it, it's amazing.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:02 am

There are a lot of lines where characters will state what is happening on screen, not as commentary, but simply saying it out loud. For instance, if Freeza punches Goku in the face, Kuririn will say, "Wow, he punched him hard in the face!" It's like radio with faces. The only rational reason I can think to have such a line is to fill up air time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:22 am

ABED wrote:There are a lot of lines where characters will state what is happening on screen, not as commentary, but simply saying it out loud. For instance, if Freeza punches Goku in the face, Kuririn will say, "Wow, he punched him hard in the face!" It's like radio with faces. The only rational reason I can think to have such a line is to fill up air time.
It's also to build up hype. If you've ever watched a WWE match, you'll notice that the announcers can take even the most simplest looking move and build it up into a trademark by saying something like "It looks like...the stunner, YES, Steve Austin is going to use the STUNNER!"

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:38 am

Bansho64 wrote:Anybody else here like BOTH Nadolny's and Clinkenbeard's takes on Gohan? I got into the franchise with the latter, but I've experienced way more material with the former. I usually like Clinkenbeard's take a lot more and, admittedly, crap on Nadolny's way more than I should. But, after rewatching the Z dub on my Orange Bricks, I've come to kinda rediscover the aspects that others like about her Gohan.
Aaaaaaaaaand I'm taking this back. Got to some of the later Saiyan arc material and things sorta fell apart. Those really scratchy whines really got annoying. It was kinda alright in the beginning, but the rasp was just too much. It's kinda sad really. I actually sorta liked some of it before
I got farther.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:52 am

LuckyCat wrote:
ABED wrote:There are a lot of lines where characters will state what is happening on screen, not as commentary, but simply saying it out loud. For instance, if Freeza punches Goku in the face, Kuririn will say, "Wow, he punched him hard in the face!" It's like radio with faces. The only rational reason I can think to have such a line is to fill up air time.
It's also to build up hype. If you've ever watched a WWE match, you'll notice that the announcers can take even the most simplest looking move and build it up into a trademark by saying something like "It looks like...the stunner, YES, Steve Austin is going to use the STUNNER!"
But the characters aren't telling a story, they are just reiterating what's on screen and sure don't have the same passion as JR. A great wrestling announcer doesn't just say what moves are happening on screen, they try to convey to the audience what the wrestlers are going through, their strategies, etc. And the stunner isn't a simple move, it's his finisher. Of course the announcers are going to hype it up, it's what he uses to finish the match. In DB, characters won't provide commentary, they often just describe what is happening on screen like it's radio.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.