Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am

Seeing how the winner of the Tournament of Power was someone unpredictable for most people, I believe the same could happen in the World Cup.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:29 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Seeing how the winner of the Tournament of Power was someone unpredictable for most people, I believe the same could happen in the World Cup.
The power scaling this World Cup is fucked, so that's entirely possible.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Champa The Destroyer wrote:If Goku got his potential unlocked by Elder Kai after he TOP, would Goku be able to use Ultra Instinct in base/ultimate form, since at the moment it seems that MUI is the absolute limit of his potential (for now)?
That's actually a good idea for a thread.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Champa The Destroyer wrote:If Goku got his potential unlocked by Elder Kai after he TOP, would Goku be able to use Ultra Instinct in base/ultimate form, since at the moment it seems that MUI is the absolute limit of his potential (for now)?
That's actually a good idea for a thread.

I probably will make a thread for it, it raises a lot of discussion.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:09 pm

Draconic wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Seeing how the winner of the Tournament of Power was someone unpredictable for most people, I believe the same could happen in the World Cup.
Yea, I got that reference lol

Especially seeing how traditional teams like Germany, Spain didn't make it too far on the competition

by Doctor.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:29 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Draconic wrote:
Yea, I got that reference lol

Especially seeing how traditional teams like Germany, Spain didn't make it too far on the competition
I wouldn't say Spain are traditional they had a good run during the 08-12 tournament period and after Euro 12 they've just been crap.

England hit their target so anything more now is gonna be a success for us.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:32 pm

This is probably a total no shit thing to point out but I'm pretty convinced a lot of DB fans hate Superman just because he's not Goku.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:16 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:This is probably a total no shit thing to point out but I'm pretty convinced a lot of DB fans hate Superman just because he's not Goku.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've disliked Superman long before I noticed the parallels between him and Goku. (Toriyama basically ripped off Superman's origin story and mixed it with Journey to the West.) Superman, IMO, is just a boring character. He's too perfect, so I feel virtually no tension when he fights bad guys. His super power is the ability to do whatever is convenient. Girlfriend died? Reverse the spin of the earth to make time go backwards, because that's how time works. I don't disagree with the results of the Death Battle between the two characters, either. Superman has no defined limits, so of course he would win. A battle between Superman and One Punch Man, though? That'd probably make the universe explode. lol

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:52 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:This is probably a total no shit thing to point out but I'm pretty convinced a lot of DB fans hate Superman just because he's not Goku.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've disliked Superman long before I noticed the parallels between him and Goku. (Toriyama basically ripped off Superman's origin story and mixed it with Journey to the West.) Superman, IMO, is just a boring character. He's too perfect, so I feel virtually no tension when he fights bad guys. His super power is the ability to do whatever is convenient. Girlfriend died? Reverse the spin of the earth to make time go backwards, because that's how time works. I don't disagree with the results of the Death Battle between the two characters, either. Superman has no defined limits, so of course he would win. A battle between Superman and One Punch Man, though? That'd probably make the universe explode. lol
I've seen enough people who dislike him for not being Goku voice a similar thing and I always feel the need to point out that despite superheroes fighting all the time, fighting isn't really the point. The punching and kicking are more often than not just there to facilitate some base level entertainment but it's not the point of the story. Superhero fiction, Superman included, is about the stuff surrounding the fight, the moral quandaries, the who's and why's of everyone duking it out. If you removed the action aspect from superhero stories, you could still tell a multitude of fascinating things with them (and I'm a big proponent of this idea). Dragon Ball though? Take the fighting out of it and you've got nothing.

To put it simply: in superhero stories, fighting is just a means to an end, in Dragon Ball, fighting is the beginning, middle, epilogue, shitty soft reboot,... to the whole proceedings.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:31 am

The joke "just saiyan/just saying" stops making sense when you realize you're pronouncing "saiyan" wrong.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:37 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:The joke "just saiyan/just saying" stops making sense when you realize you're pronouncing "saiyan" wrong.
I know right? I'm just saiyan at all these types of jokes.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Is it weird that Dragon Ball takes up most of my entertainment time? I mean, I don't turn down friends' invites to do stuff or anything, but if no one calls or texts I'm pretty content just posting here or watching an episode or whatever. It takes up a lot of my thoughts during the day too. When I'm zoning out at work or whatever.

When I was 12 I said I'd be into Dragon Ball even once I was 40. Now that I'm 28 and more into it than ever before, that's apparently starting to become a reality.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 pm

Triple post, yikes. Do custom subtitles exist somewhere for Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans? I have it in MKV form and was wondering if there's a way to subtitle it.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:England hit their target so anything more now is gonna be a success for us.
For sure, but the 4th place has its honour, England probably will come stronger for the next World Cup. Also congrats to all french people for winning, even though I was rooting for Croatia lol

by Doctor.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:10 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:England hit their target so anything more now is gonna be a success for us.
For sure, but the 4th place has its honour, England probably will come stronger for the next World Cup. Also congrats to all french people for winning, even though I was rooting for Croatia lol
On paper it sounds good, but the way the tournament opened up I think it's actually been disappointing, they should have seen the game out against Croatia but failed to react and from the 2nd half onward they deserved to beat us.

But rolling this back to DB I am a bit disappointed between France/Japan/Batshuayi we didn't get more DB related shenanigans, I think the closest was one of the Japanese players dying their hair blonde like SS. I was hoping the Japanese would like fire a KMH as a celebration one time lol.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:51 am

I didn't know where to post it but Dragon Ball is inching closer to becoming like a superhero comic where all characters are the same age forever and the major villains are sleeping threats that can cause havoc at anytime. I feel like that is what they wanted when they established the Dragon Room to make the franchise an evergreen brand. Freeza, the most popular villain, was the first to be brought back in this new wave. Broly is being retooled and given his original run I doubt his story will be finished one movie. Cell Jrs. have just made an appearance in a bonus chapter for Super's manga which isn't much but I think it is the first sign of Cell's eventual return. Ginyu had a very brief return as well which given what came after and what is very likely to come was a mistake. Should have saved him for later but maybe they'll just end up doing it again.

I think something like FighterZ's story will be the end result. Where all the main villains and heroes are alive to fight against some other threat. 7 years from now they'll also remember Yamcha and he'll fight alongside everyone.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:20 am

What was the point of Kaibito un-fusing?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:56 am

The S wrote:What was the point of Kaibito un-fusing?
Just to give more fuel to the exhaustive debate about Dragon Ball GT canonicity. :roll:

In-universe, I would say it's because Toriyama had already planned to unfortunately make another tournament with "all" Kaioshins being there, so a Universe where a Kaioshin is fused with his attendant would probably feel weird.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:24 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, here's something that's been bugging me. Why does Vegeta share the same name as his father? More importantly, if his father was named Vegeta, shouldn't that make him Vegeta Jr.?
In the manga Vegeta’s father is never actually named. Vegeta is only stated to be named after the Planet Vegeta.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 am

The first sons of kings often share the same names as their fathers. Or when they don't they take on the name of their fathers after they ascend to the throne. So the question is how many King Vegetas have there been? If our Vegeta is the fourth in the line, for example, he would be known as Vegeta IV.