Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:29 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Anyone have an idea for a name for a religion based on Zeno?
We already have Gokuism for the religion of Goku worship, but how about our favorite little toddler with absolute power?
Zeno doesn't need or desire worship. He's not one to respond to cowtows and "we're not worthy!"
Who cares about what Zeno wants?
It wouldn't be a religion if it wasn't about making myself feel good above all else, regardless of the supposed teachings of the Supreme Deity, I'd be imploring others to follow, c'mon now.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:59 pm

How does a new God of Destruction get assigned? Their Angel is inactive and the Kaioshin are gone by default thanks to the life link so how does this mess unscrew itself? Is the universe supposed to wait for a new Kaioshin to get born and find a substitute? Is the lifeline one way only?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:31 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:How does a new God of Destruction get assigned? Their Angel is inactive and the Kaioshin are gone by default thanks to the life link so how does this mess unscrew itself? Is the universe supposed to wait for a new Kaioshin to get born and find a substitute? Is the lifeline one way only?
Based on the relationship between Zamasu and his master Gowasu, I think the Supreme Kai is supposed to have a successor ready for the time they inevitably kick the bucket. Graduating from apprentice to Supreme Kai seems to be as simple as changing earrings. As for the God of Destruction, based on the way Whis tries to convince Goku and Vegeta to become the next God of Destruction, it seems to be Whis' job to find a replacement. Now is there some sort of ritual involved for a God of Destruction candidate to become an official God of Destruction? Who knows?

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:23 am

Here is my non-thread-worthy discussion (or question, rather):

In the Viz translation of chapter 14, the narration begins with "The August martial arts master named Kame Sen'nin..." I've never seen or heard Muten Rōshi referred to as such before or since. What does "August" have to do with anything here? Is this something that is going right over my head?
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:50 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Here is my non-thread-worthy discussion (or question, rather):

In the Viz translation of chapter 14, the narration begins with "The August martial arts master named Kame Sen'nin..." I've never seen or heard Muten Rōshi referred to as such before or since. What does "August" have to do with anything here? Is this something that is going right over my head?
Could be a metaphorical way of describing him as old, though this is the first time I've heard August and not autumn.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:16 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Here is my non-thread-worthy discussion (or question, rather):

August can also mean "aged," or "seasoned."

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:42 pm

This may be worth its own thread if it garners enough conversation, but does anyone here think The "Soul Punisher" (Gogeta's death blow to Janemba) could kill the Immortal "Future" Zamasu? Its not a traditional technique by anymeans and seems to attack the spirit directly. It's probably the most deadly attack in the entire franchise next to "Hakai".
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:41 pm

This isn't worthy of a full thread, as it's community-related and that community isn't Kanzenshuu, so:

The owner and admin of Kakarot, a large and classic page in the Facebook Dragon Ball community, has passed away. He got into a bad car accident a few days ago, and though things were looking hopeful at first, his condition worsened, and he passed today.
Kakarot was one of the most important people, if not the most important person, in the Facebook Dragon Ball community. He played a huge role in forming the community in the first place, inspiring dozens of people to join in and make their own pages (I eventually also joined in thanks to him). More than that, he helped even more people through tough times, thanks to his good content and his healthy interaction with fans. Kakarot also did plenty of charity work over the years. Though he only lived for 25 years, he left a huge impact on the world for just one man, and he leaves an even larger hole behind with his passing.

To those of you who read my little rant in the Interesting or funny pictures thread, you may be interested to hear that the same person who told me that people in that one Facebook group was mocking Unshou Ishizuka's death has told me that a few people are also mocking Kakarot's death. I'd just like to say that that group absolutely does not represent the Facebook Dragon Ball community as a whole.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:30 am

Cipher wrote:

August can also mean "aged," or "seasoned."
Oh, wow, that's the first time I've ever seen it used in that way. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:13 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:This may be worth its own thread if it garners enough conversation, but does anyone here think The "Soul Punisher" (Gogeta's death blow to Janemba) could kill the Immortal "Future" Zamasu? Its not a traditional technique by anymeans and seems to attack the spirit directly. It's probably the most deadly attack in the entire franchise next to "Hakai".
I believe so, because by the technique name we can get that it destroys the enemy soul and probably there's no immortality that could restore a soul like its physical body, but that might be just head canon.
Alruneia wrote:This isn't worthy of a full thread, as it's community-related and that community isn't Kanzenshuu, so:

The owner and admin of Kakarot, a large and classic page in the Facebook Dragon Ball community, has passed away. He got into a bad car accident a few days ago, and though things were looking hopeful at first, his condition worsened, and he passed today.
Kakarot was one of the most important people, if not the most important person, in the Facebook Dragon Ball community. He played a huge role in forming the community in the first place, inspiring dozens of people to join in and make their own pages (I eventually also joined in thanks to him). More than that, he helped even more people through tough times, thanks to his good content and his healthy interaction with fans. Kakarot also did plenty of charity work over the years. Though he only lived for 25 years, he left a huge impact on the world for just one man, and he leaves an even larger hole behind with his passing.
My condolences. Words fall short of expressing the sorrow of this loss, but I'm sure he still is on these people's thoughts and prayers.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Alruneia wrote:This isn't worthy of a full thread, as it's community-related and that community isn't Kanzenshuu, so:

To those of you who read my little rant in the Interesting or funny pictures thread, you may be interested to hear that the same person who told me that people in that one Facebook group was mocking Unshou Ishizuka's death has told me that a few people are also mocking Kakarot's death. I'd just like to say that that group absolutely does not represent the Facebook Dragon Ball community as a whole.
Didn't know that Facebook page but even so, my deepest condolences.

I don't really understand that people who mock other's deaths. What's so fun about losing someone? They should be ashamed of their behaviour >=(

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:24 am

I recently became aware that there's an official manga/video game/short animation in this franchise where Cooler and Future Trunks team up to break out of a sci-fi prison, hunt for dragon balls, and fight aliens. Just from hearing that premise it is now my favorite bit of post-BoG Dragon Ball media.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:32 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:I recently became aware that there's an official manga/video game/short animation in this franchise where Cooler and Future Trunks team up to break out of a sci-fi prison, hunt for dragon balls, and fight aliens. Just from hearing that premise it is now my favorite bit of post-BoG Dragon Ball media.
If you liked that, you should take a closer look at that official material. There's more interesting stuff in it and that it is more interesting than what we've been getting from the "main series".
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:17 am

Noah wrote:My condolences. Words fall short of expressing the sorrow of this loss, but I'm sure he still is on these people's thoughts and prayers.
Tian wrote:Didn't know that Facebook page but even so, my deepest condolences.
Thank you both for the nice words. It really means a lot. The amount of support we've been seeing is unreal (Chris Sabat tweeted about it, even) and it's hard to put into words how much we all appreciate it.
Tian wrote:I don't really understand that people who mock other's deaths. What's so fun about losing someone? They should be ashamed of their behaviour >=(
I really wish I knew. I think some people just really want to stand out in the crowd, so they decide to write that kind of trash just to get a bit of attention. It's sad, but not unpredictable (a lot of us independently wrote the same "No disrespect in the comments" warning in our posts because we know they're around).

-

On a lighter note:
RandomGuy96 wrote:I recently became aware that there's an official manga/video game/short animation in this franchise where Cooler and Future Trunks team up to break out of a sci-fi prison, hunt for dragon balls, and fight aliens. Just from hearing that premise it is now my favorite bit of post-BoG Dragon Ball media.
The Future Trunks + Cooler teamup in the Prison Planet arc might be the greatest thing Dragon Ball Heroes has come up with. It's such a ridiculous (in a good way) premise. I'm a little sad about the story largely shifting focus over to Cumber instead of focusing on strange team-ups like these, though.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:06 pm

If Whis were to somehow die, would it emotionally affect Goku?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:25 am

I recently re-watched Resurrection F -- which I initially thought was a really fun movie -- and it's aged horribly.

There are a plateau of writing issues in that movie, and I think a good chunk of them carried over into Super.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:20 am

I was chatting to someone about Caulifla and Kale's recently announced English voice actors (Elizabeth Maxwell and Dawn Bennett) and I kept getting their names mixed because if you put them together, you get Elizabeth Bennett. This in turn led me to spend an embarrassingly long amount of time thinking about a hypothetical Dragon Ball-Pride and Prejudice crossover. It actually works better than you'd think, especially with how Toriyama wrote his women. Tell me Chi Chi isn't a 1:1 ringer of Mrs Bennett.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I recently re-watched Resurrection F -- which I initially thought was a really fun movie -- and it's aged horribly.

There are a plateau of writing issues in that movie, and I think a good chunk of them carried over into Super.
More than the writing, I think that the direction, storyboard and supervision form Yamamuro drags that movie into the abyss. There's nothing that stands out.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:32 pm

So, here's something that's been bugging me. Why does Vegeta share the same name as his father? More importantly, if his father was named Vegeta, shouldn't that make him Vegeta Jr.?
Back when the king was still alive, they were probably differentiated as "King Vegeta" and "Prince Vegeta."

It's entirely possible that Saiyans don't even do the "Jr." thing for same-named kids, that might be exclusively an Earth naming tradition (which Piccolo picked up after living there for centuries.) I guess non-royal Saiyans probably just don't give their kids the same names as one of their parents. XD

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:16 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:This may be worth its own thread if it garners enough conversation, but does anyone here think The "Soul Punisher" (Gogeta's death blow to Janemba) could kill the Immortal "Future" Zamasu? Its not a traditional technique by anymeans and seems to attack the spirit directly. It's probably the most deadly attack in the entire franchise next to "Hakai".
I think it would have just lead to Sky zamasu sooner.

Janemba was different he was a collagulated bunch of evil souls with an oni base.

Zammy was just who he was.

Plus it was in a hell where the laws of reality was fucked.

Plus it was filler so it might be different in it's hypothetical canon version.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.