Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Spider-Man
Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Spider-Man » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:The universe 6 saiyans, (except for SSJ Kefla/Kale) having the muscle definition of Adventure Time characters, never fails to annoy me.

It looks as though I could beat them up.
Yeah agreed. It looked perfectly fine on Kefla idk why they all couldn't have that.
I wish Cabba was drawn like this in the Anime.

ekrolo2
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 am

Given Toriyama's distaste for Goku being portrayed as heroic, I'd really like to meet the guy just so I could tell him Minus makes Goku a blatant knock-off of Superman origin wise.
    When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MasenkoHA
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Given Toriyama's distaste for Goku being portrayed as heroic, I'd really like to meet the guy just so I could tell him Minus makes Goku a blatant knock-off of Superman origin wise.
    You could argue Goku was a blatant Superman knock off the moment Toriyama retconned Goku from monkey boy to one of the last survivors of an alien planet that blew up and was sent to earth on a spaceship and raised as an earthling.

Obviously Funimation went the extra mile and turned Goku’s personality into Silver Age Superman with preachy moralizing speeches and the whole “Your father was a brilliant scientist” line but we shouldn’t ignore that Toriyama planted the groundwork in 1989 (1988? When did the Saiyan saga portion of the manga start?)

ETA: Need to add Toriyama ripping off Superman’s origin for Goku (as he did since he started the Saiyan saga!) does not mean he can’t be against Goku’s personality being heroic. They’re not mutually exclusive things.

ekrolo2
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
    ekrolo2 wrote:Given Toriyama's distaste for Goku being portrayed as heroic, I'd really like to meet the guy just so I could tell him Minus makes Goku a blatant knock-off of Superman origin wise.
    You could argue Goku was a blatant Superman knock off the moment Toriyama retconned Goku from monkey boy to one of the last survivors of an alien planet that blew up and was sent to earth on a spaceship and raised as an earthling.

Obviously Funimation went the extra mile and turned Goku’s personality into Silver Age Superman with preachy moralizing speeches and the whole “Your father was a brilliant scientist” line but we shouldn’t ignore that Toriyama planted the groundwork in 1989 (1988? When did the Saiyan saga portion of the manga start?)
    I wouldn't call him a knock off bar superficial similarities, primarily because the context was completely different.

Superman is sent out by people who know their world is doomed and by a loving family to save his life, in some cases even expecting him to be a hero. Goku's original backstory was of a kid considered worthless thrash because he was born too weak whom nobody cared about and sent out to commit genocide on the Earthling race.

It's really diametrically opposed to Superman in a great many ways as it was presented back in the Saiyan arc.
    When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Dragon Ball Gus
    Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:56 pm

You know I've always wondered were there any black skinned Saiyans on Planet Vegeta before Freeza blew it up?
    Caulifla best girl! :)

TobyS
    I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:53 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You know I've always wondered were there any black skinned Saiyans on Planet Vegeta before Freeza blew it up?
    I've thought about that, I assume they'd have the same skin colours for the same reasons we do. The equator has darker skinned saiyans etc.

Unless the planet is colder/has a weaker sun than warmest place that white people are from on earth?

I always assumed vegeta looked hotter than earth though...
    Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
    He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
    Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
    He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
    Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
    Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

FortuneSSJ
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:44 pm

It doesn't make much sense Toei Animation US to promote the new Movie with remastered versions of Broly first Movie and Bardock TV Special.
    It comes out like: Do you like this?! Okay. Now forget everything, because these events will happen differently in the new Movie.
    A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MasenkoHA
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:17 pm

I never did get why Bulma wore the bunny ears in her playboy bunny outfit in early Dragon Ball. Especially since she supposedly hated the outfit and only wore it because she had no clean clothes. Like, she didn’t have to put the bunny ears on

Ssjcell
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:42 am

MasenkoHA wrote:I never did get why Bulma wore the bunny ears in her playboy bunny outfit in early Dragon Ball. Especially since she supposedly hated the outfit and only wore it because she had no clean clothes. Like, she didn’t have to put the bunny ears on
    It went with the outfit

Spider-Man
    Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:24 pm

I dislike how the majority of DB games rehash the same story of Z getting really tired of seeing the Saiyan to Buu storylines over and over again.

John Pannozzi
    Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Jaden Smith wrote a song about Goku:

https://news.avclub.com/jaden-smith-wro ... 587591/amp
    Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

Kataphrut
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:28 am

Spider-Man wrote:I dislike how the majority of DB games rehash the same story of Z getting really tired of seeing the Saiyan to Buu storylines over and over again.
    Newer games are getting a bit wonky trying to get stories out of new stuff. Xenoverse 2 is Raditz to Golden Freeza by default, Raditz to sort of Jiren and also Dabura with DLC. Fusions is loosely Raditz to Buu plus a mishmash of stuff from GT, movies and Super, but ends on Freeza and Cell as the main villains. FighterZ just avoids it altogether with a completely new story mode. It's terrible, but points for trying.

I'd like to see a game that pull off a full campaign covering everything. Pilaf to nuBroly with movies and GT thrown in. Sort of like Tenkaichi 3 but even more of a mess.

goku the krump dancer
    I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:21 am

Spider-Man wrote:I dislike how the majority of DB games rehash the same story of Z getting really tired of seeing the Saiyan to Buu storylines over and over again.

This literally hasn't been a thing since Battle of Z back in 2014.. For the last four years every game has either tried its own thing or put a spin on the OG story to spice things up fairly well.. Even then though its not like Raditz to Boo has been recreated in any respectable way... Shit, I'd argue that the story hasnt been told via video game in a decent way since Budokai 1!

There has yet to be a full on Video Game experience that retells the story in an episodic way that's as well animated and fluid as Budokai 1. Most games in the PS2/3 era either have shitty half assed cut-scenes (Sparking/Tenkaichi/Raging Blast 1 and Burst Limit) or none at all (Budokai 2, 3, Super DBZ, Raging Blast 2). Ultimate Tenkaichi tried to be cool with the redrawn scenes but that hardly counts as video game cinematics.. I've always felt that was a cop out to be honest, plus only certain scenes got that treatment, it wasnt the entire thing. When it comes to line by line Raditz to Boo, Infinite World is second best yet despite it being released 6 years AFTER the initial Budokai, the cut-scenes still feel mostly rushed.

Xenoverse and FighterZ Do its own thing for the most part with either alterations to the story or a brand new one in General, either way While I love the character banter in FighterZ , the cut-scenes themselves aren't all that different from the Tenkaichi style (Though at this I personally really don't care), with characters just standing around talking a lot. Xenoverse while not bad still lacks the impact and love that Budokai 1's visuals had.

In retrospect though, all of the current titles are more or less doing there own thing storyline wise, whether you like em or not. It's different, which is the primary complaint that folks have had, right before Xeno1 was announced. Shit Heroes has been doing it's own thing since about 09 with Dragon Battlerz being the first to Introduce SS3 Broly, Vegeta and Gogeta.
    It's not too late. One day, it will be.
    Peace And Power MF DOOM!
    Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ZeroNeonix
    Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:45 am

It seems like most Dragon Ball games recently have been using the same basic idea. Someone messes with time, creating a world between time where every hero and villain past and present exist simultaneously. Fusions, Legends, and Xenoverse all do this with a slightly different spin. Legends and Fusions seem particularly similar, with someone wishing for a tournament between all fighters in all time eras, which apparently is something not outside the power of Shenron to do.

Eire
    Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You know I've always wondered were there any black skinned Saiyans on Planet Vegeta before Freeza blew it up?
    I bet that Toriyama and oryginal japanese producers never wondered about that, they just saw characters as generic "people". When you live in racially homogenous Country and only POC (from your POV) you can came across are characters in american popculture, student in academic centers and tourists you just kinda forget about racial diversity.
    Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
    Men belong in the kitchen.
    Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

ZeroNeonix
    Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Eire wrote:
    I bet that Toriyama and oryginal japanese producers never wondered about that, they just saw characters as generic "people". When you live in racially homogenous Country and only POC (from your POV) you can came across are characters in american popculture, student in academic centers and tourists you just kinda forget about racial diversity.
    I know it's not canon, and Toriyama didn't write it, but I recall the Bardock special had Saiyans with various skin tones. Maybe not black skinned, but dark tan at least.

Noah
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Spider-Man wrote:I wish Cabba was drawn like this in the Anime.
      I would prefer if Cabba had a similar design to Shallot from DBL as I believe it would get more appeal from fans than a scrawny kid design.
      乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Shaddy
      I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Only tangentially related to Dragon Ball, but:

Danfun64
      Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:41 pm

Shaddy wrote:Only tangentially related to Dragon Ball, but:
      Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
      CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
      Jack is just kinda dumb.

zarmack
      Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:58 pm

Noah wrote:
      Spider-Man wrote:I wish Cabba was drawn like this in the Anime.
        I would prefer if Cabba had a similar design to Shallot from DBL as I believe it would get more appeal from fans than a scrawny kid design.
        Speaking of which, I'm sure most fans would prefer Kale to look like this (myself included lol):
        https://img.fireden.net/v/image/1485/61 ... 529048.jpg
        https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 66/62f.jpg

And Caulifila to look something like this:
        https://www.deviantart.com/reddgeist/ar ... -554045308