Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:25 pm

zarmack wrote:Speaking of which, I'm sure most fans would prefer Kale to look like this (myself included lol):
And Caulifila to look something like this:
Yeah, I don't get what with this trend of having these characters to have unnapealing designs, when they could do much better:

乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Noah wrote:
zarmack wrote:Speaking of which, I'm sure most fans would prefer Kale to look like this (myself included lol):
And Caulifila to look something like this:
Yeah, I don't get what with this trend of having these characters to have unappealing designs, when they could do much better:

Toriyama as a character designer has simply fallen off. Yuya Takahashi and many fan artists East and West make way better character designs than Toriyama has since the early 2000s.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:03 am

FUNi's use of Vegito doesn't work given they don't call him Kakarotto. However, I hate the idea of Vegerot. Just calling him Gogeta is a far better idea. The differences between Gogeta and Vegetto are superficial at best. Even if it's not a good idea, it's not nearly as god awful as Vegerot, which sounds like some sort of mold. No, don't eat that, it has vegerot.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:09 pm

DB could learn a thing or two from the recent Halloween movie on how not to suck as a franchise revival.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:15 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:DB could learn a thing or two from the recent Halloween movie on how not to suck as a franchise revival.
Yeah, but DB's revival didn't suck. Battle of Gods was good. It was everything that came after it that sucked balls.

So, give Halloween time.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:DB could learn a thing or two from the recent Halloween movie on how not to suck as a franchise revival.
Yeah, but DB's revival didn't suck. Battle of Gods was good. It was everything that came after it that sucked balls.

So, give Halloween time.
Well talks of a sequel certainly imply that so fuck you every much for crushing that momentary spur of optimism ;)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:51 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

So, give Halloween time.
Well talks of a sequel certainly imply that so fuck you every much for crushing that momentary spur of optimism ;)
Well, it doesn't count as a "successful revival" if it's only one film, right? Plenty of franchises have had successful one-off reboots. It's when you keep it going that it's impressive.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Rocky did it twice. Like Doctor. said, it's when it can keep it going that it's a successful revival and not just a one off. One offs are much easier to do well.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:57 pm

Does anyone else remember all those dumb fan theories trying to say SSG inspired the creation of KK in-universe? Good times.

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:43 pm

We may see a real-life Artificial Moon in the near future thanks to China:

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/2018/10 ... eal-china/
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:20 am

So I watched GT recently, man, that was an experience, most characters introduced are bland, most battles are boring, good ideas with whatever execution... It's honestly kind of a wonder it reached 64 episodes.

Not that I watched GT expecting it to be bad or whatever, if I bother to watch anything I'll try to enjoy it, but unfortunately GT wasn't fun enough for that.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:19 pm

This popped into my head while writing about fusions in the other thread: They missed a trick having Caulifla and Kale fuse via the earrings and not the dance. If they'd done the dance, then you could have had a botched version called "Caulifail".

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Come to think of it, what would be the in-universe explanation of multiple characters owning items of clothing with their names on them?

Is it just a popular thing to do in the DBverse?

Is there a company that does special orders so you can have your name on your clothes?

I guess no one can steal them that way lol

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Yeah, but DB's revival didn't suck. Battle of Gods was good. It was everything that came after it that sucked balls.

So, give Halloween time.
Well, it doesn't count as a "successful revival" if it's only one film, right? Plenty of franchises have had successful one-off reboots. It's when you keep it going that it's impressive.
ABED wrote:Rocky did it twice. Like Doctor. said, it's when it can keep it going that it's a successful revival and not just a one off. One offs are much easier to do well.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:45 pm

Kataphrut wrote:This popped into my head while writing about fusions in the other thread: They missed a trick having Caulifla and Kale fuse via the earrings and not the dance. If they'd done the dance, then you could have had a botched version called "Caulifail".
That doesn't really work with the way phonetics work in Japanese.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:30 pm

The Monkey King wrote:Come to think of it, what would be the in-universe explanation of multiple characters owning items of clothing with their names on them?

Is it just a popular thing to do in the DBverse?

Is there a company that does special orders so you can have your name on your clothes?

I guess no one can steal them that way lol

It's possible that it's a popular thing in the Dragonball world

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Freeza doesn't need oxygen to survive, but he breathes heavy when he gets exhausted. Also, Freeza has no genitals or anus, yet he drinks. How does he expel waste?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:21 pm

I guess I can add Freeza's butthole to the list of "things I never wanted to think about but have been nonconsensually brought into my psyche" now.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Looking back at Ressurection F movie, Freeza (and his race?) has an impressive survival feat, he can remain alive for several minutes after his brain was sliced in pieces by Trunks (as he didn't die or lose consciousness after being revived in that same condition). If he can survive that I suspect decapitation alone would not be an instant kill agains him.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Does anyone else find it weird the Funi dub of Dragon Ball made Oolong an adult? Like they gave him the same adult male voice and removed all reference to him being a kid. And because his debut episode has him kidnapping LITTLE girls they basically turned him into a pedophile