Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:45 pm

That's some damn impressive tech Bulma has where she can communicate on a far off planet with her father in real time and instantaneously using only a dinky satellite dish.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Not surprising once you consider that she's smart enought to create a time machine (granted it took several years).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Not surprising once you consider that she's smart enought to create a time machine (granted it took several years).
And a radar that can detect the special energy waves given off by mystical orbs that were created by an Alien Mage

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:04 pm

I know it's an arbitrary line, but even for a fictional universe, that's a hell of an impressive machine. It sent out a faster than light signal with a satellite dish that was no bigger than a sled. It's clear and there's no delay.

And yet, didn't the anime show a phone with a chord?

Thoughts like these and why Donald Duck comes out of the shower with a towel even though he doesn't wear pants are the kind that keep me up at night.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:20 am

Lukmendes wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote:Its weird because none of the stories post Battle of Gods connect to one another, Revival of F, Universe 6, Zamasu and even the Top all feel like they could be direct sequels to BoG and dont have to happen in the order that they did or amongst one another.
Without RoF there's no Freeza in ToP, without Champa there's no Black (Zamasu learns about the super dragon balls and Goku having god ki because of it, and Goku's friendship with Zeno), or ToP (Zeno only became friends with Goku because of the Champa arc), so those events are pretty important to each other, with Black being arguably the only one that is skippable, and thematicaly Black has some importance since ToP ultimately proves him wrong.
With a few tweaks it could easily go Post Beerus fight -> ToP, Revival of Freeza, Goku Black, U6 tournament, Broly! I'm not saying I prefer it that way but just illustrating how the lack of consequence hurts the overall stories being told because they can viewed as their own closed off story.
That makes no sense, Zeno only learned about Goku and the idea of making a tournament because of Champa arc and Freeza was only in ToP because of his own arc, and while Black could happen after ToP, it'd be redundant since ToP's ending shows that mortals can be selfless and eventualy change, so having Black after ToP would be odd, so yeah, just changing the order of those events would be a headache since little details is what build up for each other, it'd be kinda like trying to make Cell saga happen before Namek.
You're taking what I said too literally, all i'm saying is that from a narrative stand point the arcs in Super post BoG are so linear and closed off that with a few small tweaks, the story arcs from RoF to the ToP could happen in a different order and nothing would change in the grand scheme of things.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:16 pm

Would a blood-related fusion (Goku and Gohan, Vegeta and Trunks) be stronger than a rival fusion (Vegetto)?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:03 pm

I rewatched Super episode #068 and man the first time I thought it was awful, but a second time it was funny to see how manipulating Bulma could be to achieve her goals. She overtipped the chef from the restaurant to keep Beerus and Whis busy, called hookers to make Roshi give up from his wish, convinced #18 to do the same and get rid of Oolong. She was almost winning until Beerus discovers everything and blows up (literally) her plans.

Also a fun note that despite Goku having become stronger than a SSJ God (at time), he wondered if he could die if he went to the center of Earth (he needed a special suit though).
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:52 pm

Noah wrote:I rewatched Super episode #068 and man the first time I thought it was awful, but a second time it was funny to see how manipulating Bulma could be to achieve her goals. She overtipped the chef from the restaurant to keep Beerus and Whis busy, called hookers to make Roshi give up from his wish, convinced #18 to do the same and get rid of Oolong. She was almost winning until Beerus discovers everything and blows up (literally) her plans.

Also a fun note that despite Goku having become stronger than a SSJ God (at time), he wondered if he could die if he went to the center of Earth (he needed a special suit though).
DB characters can power up all they want, but they can still be killed by some relatively mundane things, no better example than the heart virus disease, which Trunks specificaly said that being Super saiyan wouldn't do shit to it, only thing that they get more defense against is brute force basicaly, and that's weirdly consistent, for the most part at least.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:49 am

Hopefully people don't say "GT isn't canon so it doesn't matter" or whatever, but I was watching the Gogeta vs Omega Shenron fight, and I know that there are certain abilities other than Ki that some people have, like Freeza with telekinesis or Boo with turning things into chocolate (he could only do this because of him being a magical being), but how the HELL did Gogeta create confetti against Omega?! He does what is either afterimage or Multiform (I guess Tien taught Goku the technique at some point offscreen) and then shoots confetti out of his freaking hand, and I don't understand how that's even possible...

Also, I just realized that Jiren is sort of the stereotypical "ningen" that Goku Black and Zamasu were against. He's utterly selfish and destroys everything in his path, eventually boiling down to brutally fighting for survival-and yet believes in enforcing "justice" through strength, just like Zamasu. And in the end of each arc, Trunks in Zamasu's case and Goku in Jiren's case, at first try to take on their enemy alone, fail miserably, gain an immense power up in a moment of extreme peril, and then defeat the enemy with the power of others. The only difference is that in the FT Arc, Trunks ultimately fails, and when they rely on the power of one person (Zeno), he loses everything, having to start over in a different timeline with the help of Mai. In Goku's case, he is brought to the brink of death from the expiration of Ultra Instinct, and him, Freeza, and 17 work together to eventually defeat Jiren.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:22 pm

Champa The Destroyer wrote:He does what is either afterimage or Multiform and then shoots confetti out of his freaking hand, and I don't understand how that's even possible..
Gogeta is so fast he could teleport to a random house and back in an instant. Remember when Goku stole Master Roshi's glasses instantly when first demonstrating his Instant Transmission, back in the Android saga? It wouldn't be hard for Goku to remember there was some confetti left at the Kame House, and as Gogeta it would take less than a second to teleport back and forth.

That's my explanation at least :lol:

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Xeogran wrote:
Champa The Destroyer wrote:He does what is either afterimage or Multiform and then shoots confetti out of his freaking hand, and I don't understand how that's even possible..
Gogeta is so fast he could teleport to a random house and back in an instant. Remember when Goku stole Master Roshi's glasses instantly when first demonstrating his Instant Transmission, back in the Android saga? It wouldn't be hard for Goku to remember there was some confetti left at the Kame House, and as Gogeta it would take less than a second to teleport back and forth.

That's my explanation at least :lol:
That's actually a great explanation. :lol: It's hilarious that Gogeta would go that far just to make Omega angry, but it does make sense, he had to be able to kick away the Negative Karma Ball.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:20 pm

So... I can confirm that Sumitomo used a stock (Royalty Free?) track for the music that plays right before Goku goes SSJ3.

Compare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihq1z2YVUco with https://youtu.be/AZOG_8iDBVI?t=47
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:05 am

So is it commonly accepted that Jeice had a permanent mastery of MUI and held back much more than even Beerus in BOG, and only used Instantaneous Movement to go back to his home planet at the last moment to make it look like he died? And that he would stomp Broly, Beerus, Gogeta, and Jiren all at the same time, all while the other members of the Ginyu Force eat chocolate parfaits and have their theme song blaring on speakers? :P

.....no? I-its just me? Oh, okay then. :P

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:33 pm

I find both amusing and sickening how fans take material(s) not perfectly alligning with Bulma's line "I haven't seem you in five years" as the straw that broke the camel's back in Dragon Ball, as far as plot-hole and in-universe timeline consistency is concerned, but those same fans don't bat an eye by the fact there was an Arc that had the Dragon Balls re-activating months before they actually should. Like seriously, the Red Ribbon Army Arc by all logic shouldn't happen, yet a simple line from Bulma (that imo can be disregarded as her being hyperbolic) is taken more seriously than the former.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:54 pm

I find it rather amusing that people are now debating on the dragon ball wikia whether or not Super Saiyan Full Power is genetic or not.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:45 am

I find it amusing that the DB Wikia exists as it does now. It's really quite embarrassing.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I find it amusing that the DB Wikia exists as it does now. It's really quite embarrassing.
Indeed the admins take the idea that there is no counter evidence to prove that SSJ4 cannot normally be accessed at will to mean that its right to put that in the wiki. In real world science that might be a good idea but in fiction? No not such a good idea.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 pm

I wonder, if anyone has ever seen the entire series without the music and narrator's voice.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:49 am

Freeza's new design in first form without armor demonstrates, that it's a good idea to first esign a naked version of your humanoid alien character just so you and your collaborators know.
I'm reminded of First Form Freeza being naked in the storyboards, when emerging from the healing tank in RoF, but with the design we all assumed he would have in his naked First Form.
I wonder, if Toriyama saw that and vetoed it, because that's not how he imagined it?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:02 am

dbgtFO wrote:Freeza's new design in first form without armor demonstrates, that it's a good idea to first esign a naked version of your humanoid alien character just so you and your collaborators know.
I'm reminded of First Form Freeza being naked in the storyboards, when emerging from the healing tank in RoF, but with the design we all assumed he would have in his naked First Form.
I wonder, if Toriyama saw that and vetoed it, because that's not how he imagined it?
He did imagine it, it's in his manga.