Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by rereboy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:03 am

ABED wrote:It was implied and you had to know that I didn't mean it applied to every one of his friends. Of course he wouldn't love fighting a friend who can't fight, but he would enjoy fighting Yamcha in a friendly fight. Kuririn was a great fighter, but not compared to Goku.
The point is that the real/main factor for him to love the fights was the fact that they were awesome fighters. If they were enemies, Goku would still love the fights because they were awesome fighters. The existence of Goku's love for fighting doesn't depend on friendship or on whether he has an advantage or not over the opponent. At most that makes him love it more.
There was ZERO love of fighting in that battle. It was personal. You are putting a square peg in a round hole. We're shown flat out that Goku is fighting him because he's upset. Goku is upfront about his reasons, but he lies to Piccolo? He only lied because of a retcon. It's inconsistent with what we know of Goku.

Zero love, huh?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:53 am

Is this going to turn into a battle thread?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:22 pm

I don't know if you are intentionally not making the logical inference or you genuinely think I"m not being clear but obviously Goku wouldn't enjoy fighting Oolong. I meant he likes to fight his friends who are fighters and Kuririn might be a great fighter by our standards, but not by Goku's, though I still imagine that he'd enjoy sparring with his friend just like friends enjoy shooting basketballs with each other.

The giant point that you and others that share your POV seem to miss even though it's super obvious is why would Goku lie to Piccolo about being able to defeat Buu in Super Saiyan 3? It's not in Goku's character to lie like that. He's always upfront about his reckless decisions, whether it's lett Piccolo or Vegeta live or letting the Cyborgs be activated. This isn't like those examples at all.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:09 pm

This discussion looks like it is actually worth its own thread in spite of the title, considering its gone on for 2 pages

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:This discussion looks like it is actually worth its own thread in spite of the title, considering its gone on for 2 pages
Agreed. Too long for my tastes.

On-topic, I find it odd that Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was supposedly the best-selling Dragon Ball Z video game (for a time, at least), but it's so hard to get your hands on one now. I get that everyone's keeping it, but come on! :lol:

In summary, it sold so well but it's so rare today.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Does anyone know why Joji Yanami played Muten Roshi in episode 137 of Dragon Ball?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:29 pm

How can dinosaurs be roaming the world and at no stage have found their way into populated areas or cities? Surely their numbers would have grown to the point where they would started exploring different lands and the Dragon Ball world would experience something like The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:18 am

There has been seven different soundtracks used for the varying English versions of Dragon Ball Z.
Has any other series even come close to that?

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Mr. Satan is the only character in Dragon Ball with the best character development in the series, save for Vegeta.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:36 pm

ryou766 wrote:Mr. Satan is the only character in Dragon Ball with the best character development in the series, save for Vegeta.
I would go with either Piccolo or Tenshinhan before Mr. Satan.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:43 pm

I wonder why Battle Power differences of 5 or 10 used to large deciding factors of fights, but then when we get to Freeza it takes a difference of 30,000,000 to win a fight.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:50 pm

nite_jay wrote:I wonder why Battle Power differences of 5 or 10 used to large deciding factors of fights, but then when we get to Freeza it takes a difference of 30,000,000 to win a fight.
TBF Toriyama probably didn't have the guidebook power levels in mind when he wrote that. Hell, how much of a power increase Super Saiyan even is to Toriyama is debated still. Is it just 10 or the KKX20 getting an additional 10,...
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:35 am

I find it funny how those of the living realm make offerings to their GoD to help them out or spare themselves from his wrath, kinda like in the Abrahamic religions.
I do wonder, if East-Asian religions also make use of this concept.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:55 pm

Did Toriyama ever talk about the changes to Goku's design? I used to assume it was meant to symbolize him "becoming his own master" but then I look at Yamcha and Krillin's outfits and they've got the kanji and old belts from before. Did he just get rid of those for Goku because he knew he'd draw him more than Krillin & Yamcha?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:32 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the only time we see Goku writing his name on any media was in DBSuper manga chapter 8 I believe, after vados gives the results, in the panel where Goku shows his score we can see that he also writes his name in hiragana.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:16 pm

If the series had ended at the Cell saga, which from what I've heard was apparently intended, Gohan and Bulma would have been the only main characters to not die once. You could count Chi-Chi, Dr. Briefs, Bulma's mother and Ox-King in there too but I don't consider them main characters.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:32 pm

SSJ Human wrote:If the series had ended at the Cell saga, which from what I've heard was apparently intended, Gohan and Bulma would have been the only main characters to not die once. You could count Chi-Chi, Dr. Briefs, Bulma's mother and Ox-King in there too but I don't consider them main characters.
The series was intended to end at many other points during the show run.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:34 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
SSJ Human wrote:If the series had ended at the Cell saga, which from what I've heard was apparently intended, Gohan and Bulma would have been the only main characters to not die once. You could count Chi-Chi, Dr. Briefs, Bulma's mother and Ox-King in there too but I don't consider them main characters.
That article states that almost all of those points were not intended to end the series.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:59 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
That article states that almost all of those points were not intended to end the series.
That article made me feel dumb since it debunked what I wrote. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:28 am

Rock the Dragon set "currently unavailable" on Amazon, oh no don't tell me it is OOP? I missed loads of opportunity get it now I actually want it...