Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:39 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Don't like him as a writer, eh?
He's actually really great on everything besides that book, it's just his Batman run is a train wreck I can't help but keep following, much like Super ;)
He's still better than Frank Miller's work on All-Star Batman & Robin IMO.
Nah, ASBARs total bat shit insanity (pun very much intended) is gloriously fun for me. King's is just really pretentious crap that thinks it's profound and earth shattering when it reads more like a 12 year old with some good ideas too in love with himself and his dream character to make a good story out of said ideas.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:What do people here think of Ryusei Nakao as Cooler? Did you think it was a great performance or would you have preferred another actor? While I think another actor could have worked well, Nakao did great in the part IMO.
Does Nakao have a brother who acts? :lol: ? I like his Coola, It's basically just a deeper version of his Frost voice which lacks the elegance of his Freeza. If I were to pick another actor, Jouji Nakata who surprisingly has never been in Dragon Ball would make an amazing Coola.

On Topic:
I really like how they got Chris Ayres brother Greg to voice frost, and I really hope he recovers from his illness before the dub reaches the Tournament.

So glad they got Mathew Mercer to voice Hit, much better than his Xeno 2 voice. It gives me hope that Sabat will take Sean's Black in a more accurate direction.
He would also have made for a great Cell IMO since Wakamoto was so disappointing in Kai.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:32 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:He would also have made for a great Cell IMO since Wakamoto was so disappointing in Kai.
Why you think that?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Noah wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:He would also have made for a great Cell IMO since Wakamoto was so disappointing in Kai.
Why you think that?
Haven't you seen Japanese Kai? Wakamoto was underwhelming in that, not up to par to his Z performance.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:22 am

LaughingStockMedia made a video about the Cell arc plot hole concenring Cell's core and cited a Toriyama interview about it, is this true or did he screw something up cause I can't find anything.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:12 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:LaughingStockMedia made a video about the Cell arc plot hole concenring Cell's core and cited a Toriyama interview about it, is this true or did he screw something up cause I can't find anything.
Never heard about it either, so I'm going to need a source for his claims. What did he say Toriyama said?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:26 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:LaughingStockMedia made a video about the Cell arc plot hole concenring Cell's core and cited a Toriyama interview about it, is this true or did he screw something up cause I can't find anything.
Never heard about it either, so I'm going to need a source for his claims. What did he say Toriyama said?
He talked about Toriyama specifically mention the whole core, head thing for Cell and how Goku probably should've won by blowing his top half away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPVGg46ROH0

He talks about it here around the 4 minute mark.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:28 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: He's actually really great on everything besides that book, it's just his Batman run is a train wreck I can't help but keep following, much like Super ;)
He's still better than Frank Miller's work on All-Star Batman & Robin IMO.
Nah, ASBARs total bat shit insanity (pun very much intended) is gloriously fun for me. King's is just really pretentious crap that thinks it's profound and earth shattering when it reads more like a 12 year old with some good ideas too in love with himself and his dream character to make a good story out of said ideas.
Now that I mentioned Frank Miller, I'd like to see the insanity that DBZ would be with him as the writer.

I now imagine Goku saying to Frieza: "What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Super Saiyan!"

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:23 pm

I heard a rumor that Trunks carries his sword as a way to stopping Android 19 and 20's energy stealing hand trick when they were going to be the villains, that hold any weight?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: He's still better than Frank Miller's work on All-Star Batman & Robin IMO.
Now that I mentioned Frank Miller, I'd like to see the insanity that DBZ would be with him as the writer.

I now imagine Goku saying to Frieza: "What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Super Saiyan!"
If it's half as glorious as Strikes Again I say let em do it.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Nah, ASBARs total bat shit insanity (pun very much intended) is gloriously fun for me. King's is just really pretentious crap that thinks it's profound and earth shattering when it reads more like a 12 year old with some good ideas too in love with himself and his dream character to make a good story out of said ideas.

If it's half as glorious as Strikes Again I say let em do it.
And of course with Frank writing it, Bulma, Android 18 and Chi-Chi would be prostitutes.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:36 pm

While re-reading the manga, I think I may have stumbled across another plothole in the Cell arc.

Cell initially had no idea he had the ability to regenerate until it was demonstrated to him by Piccolo regenerating his arm. So how the hell did Cell figure out that he needed the core in his head to remain intact to regenerate? And how did he know he had a core in his head that allowed him to regenerate to even begin with? I mean, Cell already knows that he has Piccolo's cells in him, so how does he not know he can regenerate and there is core in his head that enables him to regenerate?

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:47 pm

If the Full Power Super Saiyan Blue from the manga ever gets animated, I think a good way to make it look more interesting, while still holding true to the "keeping the Ki inside one's body" thing, would be to have an aura similar to Beerus. You know, like an outline around the body, not the usual raging one.

I mean, it looks good in the manga, don't get me wrong, but I feel it could use some more style when translated into animation.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:58 pm

I've noticed a dramatic increase in users with Goku in his "Ultra Instinct" form in this forum.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:31 am

Lord Beerus wrote:While re-reading the manga, I think I may have stumbled across another plothole in the Cell arc.

Cell initially had no idea he had the ability to regenerate until it was demonstrated to him by Piccolo regenerating his arm. So how the hell did Cell figure out that he needed the core in his head to remain intact to regenerate? And how did he know he had a core in his head that allowed him to regenerate to even begin with? I mean, Cell already knows that he has Piccolo's cells in him, so how does he not know he can regenerate and there is core in his head that enables him to regenerate?
I'm pretty sure Cell always knew he could regenerate (I assume Dr Gero / the computer told him everything), it just slipped his mind that Piccolo could do it.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:38 am

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:While re-reading the manga, I think I may have stumbled across another plothole in the Cell arc.

I'm pretty sure Cell always knew he could regenerate (I assume Dr Gero / the computer told him everything), it just slipped his mind that Piccolo could do it.
Cell knew that Piccolo could regenerate, but since Piccolo's arm hadn't been cut off, it has just been drained, it slipped Cell's mind that Piccolo could cut his own arm off to regenerate it. Just like, honestly, it slipped my mind the first time I watch it despite me knowing fully well that Piccolo could regenerate arms.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 am

rereboy wrote:

Cell knew that Piccolo could regenerate, but since Piccolo's arm hadn't been cut off, it has just been drained, it slipped Cell's mind that Piccolo could cut his own arm off to regenerate it. Just like, honestly, it slipped my mind the first time I watch it despite me knowing fully well that Piccolo could regenerate arms.
I just find it a bit ridiculous that Cell would conveniently forget at that moment that Piccolo could just tear of his arm and regenerate it. It just seems a bit too plot contrived for my liking.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:07 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
rereboy wrote:
I just find it a bit ridiculous that Cell would conveniently forget at that moment that Piccolo could just tear of his arm and regenerate it. It just seems a bit too plot contrived for my liking.
I don't find it ridiculous at all since, as I've mentioned, the first time I watched the scene, it slipped my mind that Piccolo could cut his own arm off, even though I immediately understood Piccolo's ruse the moment Piccolo ripped it off. I don't consider myself stupid so it seems perfectly realistic to me. Being realistic means missing stuff sometimes, not being flawless, imo.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:20 pm

An interesting quote by known western artist Brett Booth:
"I did try drawing Goku at one point. But sometimes simple can be deceptively complex."
https://twitter.com/Demonpuppy/status/9 ... 3770569729

Would love to seen western artists draw DB!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm starting to dislike Nadolny's Goku after rewatching some episodes of Dragon Ball with the Funi dub.