Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:That day is today.
Yaaaay! :clap:

... but who is it?
Clara Oswald from Doctor Who.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:39 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Gog wrote:And Good riddance is all that'll say to that
I'd gladly take 4 over either of the God forms and their convoluted "mechanics".
:wtf: Why, Four is an ugly looking form, in my opinion, that for some reason is called super Saiyan four. Honestly the god forms were the best follow up to the super Saiyan forms. Less is more in my opinion, because nobody want's to have whatever the hell the 6th form was in dragon ball multiverse.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:41 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
I'd gladly take 4 over either of the God forms and their convoluted "mechanics".
Count me in as well. Though, I do actually like the first one, I love the fourth form. The origin, the actual transformation, the actual look of the form, everything.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yeah, I can't help but fall in love with how amazing it looks to me.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:42 pm

Gotta love those magic pants.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:42 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Count me in as well. Though, I do actually like the first one, I love the fourth form. The origin, the actual transformation, the actual look of the form, everything.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yeah, I can't help but fall in love with how amazing it looks to me.
Okay, okay take back what I said, lose the eye liner, and it'll become my second favorite form, below super Saiyan blue of course.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Did someone will explain to Goku why Monaka will not star in the U7 roster?
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:07 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote:Did someone will explain to Goku why Monaka will not star in the U7 roster?
Because Monaka is too strong, or something like that. Or Monaka can only use his power once every ten years. Something like that? Or prehaps Beerus isn't an idiot, and doesn't want a non fighter, in the tournament to decide the fate of the 12 universes

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Gog wrote: :wtf: Why, Four is an ugly looking form, in my opinion, that for some reason is called super Saiyan four. Honestly the god forms were the best follow up to the super Saiyan forms. Less is more in my opinion, because nobody want's to have whatever the hell the 6th form was in dragon ball multiverse.
Less is more is something the new material is making me really annoyed with TBH. Mostly because Toriyama's gone so far in the less department he has no other choice but to do shitty recolors as "new designs". God, Blue, Rose, Golden Freeza are all fine examples of how "less is more" has its drawbacks.
Even if I ignore this, the mechanics behind how the God forms work are so needlessly convoluted they should fuck off to another galaxy (and die in a super nova there) just on that fact alone as far as I'm concerned.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:12 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Gog wrote: :wtf: Why, Four is an ugly looking form, in my opinion, that for some reason is called super Saiyan four. Honestly the god forms were the best follow up to the super Saiyan forms. Less is more in my opinion, because nobody want's to have whatever the hell the 6th form was in dragon ball multiverse.
Less is more is something the new material is making me really annoyed with TBH. Mostly because Toriyama's gone so far in the less department he has no other choice but to do shitty recolors as "new designs". God, Blue, Rose, Golden Freeza are all fine examples of how "less is more" has its drawbacks.
Even if I ignore this, the mechanics behind how the God forms work are so needlessly convoluted they should fuck off to another galaxy (and die in a super nova there) just on that fact alone as far as I'm concerned.
I should be annoyed with your comment, but good god that last bit knocked me off my chair. :D

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:12 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Less is more is something the new material is making me really annoyed with TBH. Mostly because Toriyama's gone so far in the less department he has no other choice but to do shitty recolors as "new designs". God, Blue, Rose, Golden Freeza are all fine examples of how "less is more" has its drawbacks.
Everything beyond SS1 was a mistake as far as I'm concerned.

Rosé is cool though.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Doctor. wrote:Everything beyond SS1 was a mistake as far as I'm concerned.

Rosé is cool though.
1 works until Vegeta gets for the same reasons he precisely can't ever get it before. I even like them tinkering with the grade states and making 2 a perfected state but that got ruined when freaking everyone started pulling 2 out of their ass.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:29 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Everything beyond SS1 was a mistake as far as I'm concerned.

Rosé is cool though.
1 works until Vegeta gets for the same reasons he precisely can't ever get it before. I even like them tinkering with the grade states and making 2 a perfected state but that got ruined when freaking everyone started pulling 2 out of their ass.
I think SS1 functions well only as Goku's transformation. It would be cathartic for Vegeta to get it once he gets possessed by Babidi or turns good too, I suppose. It would work since Goku is in a coma for so much of the android arc. Gohan should have just had his ultimate state and the "Grade" forms could have been amps of their base form kind of like Kaioken but without the speed increase.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Doctor. wrote:Gotta love those magic pants.
Actually how do those pants pop up? Was their ever a reason why?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:10 pm

I love ss4 too. Tails are definitely one of my favorite things about dragonball and nothing makes me sadder than the fact that they're gone now. I'd probably make it golden to fit in with the rest of the super saiyans but I like the black so I don't mind.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:33 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't see how Woren and James sound closer to the Japanese. Woren just does a Scott McNeil impression, while James sounds too old and not smooth. As far as I'm concerned, Horikawa and Furukawa don't sound nothing like that in the Japanese version.
Scott's take had much more texture, very rugged & also much deeper. Sabat's impression was just like that but with all the acting taken out of it. Woren's take isnt really like that. He has the higher, somewhat textured delivery that Furukawa had: https://youtu.be/Rip9gnjRjFg?t=197 although he lacks quite a bit of the charisma or grandeur that Toshio or Scott brought. Milton James sounds older in a way that reminds of Horikawa, regal & pompous-sounding, not quite smooth enough (however, much, much more than Drummond & Sabat, who took the rasp over 9000) but more cartoony/less acting. MJ nails Vegeta's laugh, though. Both lack energy & at times feel like bad impressions, but the point is, at least Bandai tried for accuracy, whereas Toei was giving no ****s at the time, & certainly even today they take ages to localize whereas Bandai Namco puts out simuldubs (faster than FUNi actually, XV2 releasing before the Japanese release).
Dbzfan94 wrote:Never before did I actually see praise for the Final Bout
Again, game itself could have been utter crap, but compared to Toei, who at the time were giving DB dubs zero quality/accuracy control, let alone actually paying for dubs (which arguably every show this big should have done, versus selling/licensing/outsourcing it), Bandai Namco's handling of the localization stands out. Sure, they didnt spend a ton of time on the dub, & as such, it is sort of rushed & feels lackluster (plus a few questionable castings, though leagues beyond the current dubs in accuracy), but at least they funded it (even getting Animaze, the greatest dub studio not named Ocean, RIP) & gave audio references rather than just leaving them to "make up whatever" like Toei was. Putting it in perspective, Bandai Namco paid for & oversaw a script-accurate, faithfully-cast English dub of a Dragon Ball property, in 1997, with one of the best dub studios around. That's got to count for something.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Gog wrote:
Vegeta was already wearing them and so was Goku IIRC.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:58 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't see how Woren and James sound closer to the Japanese. Woren just does a Scott McNeil impression, while James sounds too old and not smooth. As far as I'm concerned, Horikawa and Furukawa don't sound nothing like that in the Japanese version.
Scott's take had much more texture, very rugged & also much deeper. Sabat's impression was just like that but with all the acting taken out of it. Woren's take isnt really like that. He has the higher, somewhat textured delivery that Furukawa had: https://youtu.be/Rip9gnjRjFg?t=197 although he lacks quite a bit of the charisma or grandeur that Toshio or Scott brought. Milton James sounds older in a way that reminds of Horikawa, regal & pompous-sounding, not quite smooth enough (however, much, much more than Drummond & Sabat, who took the rasp over 9000) but more cartoony/less acting. MJ nails Vegeta's laugh, though. Both lack energy & at times feel like bad impressions, but the point is, at least Bandai tried for accuracy, whereas Toei was giving no ****s at the time, & certainly even today they take ages to localize whereas Bandai Namco puts out simuldubs (faster than FUNi actually, XV2 releasing before the Japanese release).
Dbzfan94 wrote:Never before did I actually see praise for the Final Bout
Again, game itself could have been utter crap, but compared to Toei, who at the time were giving DB dubs zero quality/accuracy control, let alone actually paying for dubs (which arguably every show this big should have done, versus selling/licensing/outsourcing it), Bandai Namco's handling of the localization stands out. Sure, they didnt spend a ton of time on the dub, & as such, it is sort of rushed & feels lackluster (plus a few questionable castings, though leagues beyond the current dubs in accuracy), but at least they funded it (even getting Animaze, the greatest dub studio not named Ocean, RIP) & gave audio references rather than just leaving them to "make up whatever" like Toei was. Putting it in perspective, Bandai Namco paid for & oversaw a script-accurate, faithfully-cast English dub of a Dragon Ball property, in 1997, with one of the best dub studios around. That's got to count for something.
I'm sorry, but I just don't get Horikawa vibes in James' portrayal. Have you even heard Horikawa's Vegeta? I don't feel any energy in James' Vegeta. He just feels miscast and too old, something I never felt about Horikawa's Z voice for Vegeta. By the way, I saw your DB dream cast in the Behind the Voice Actors forums and I find your choice for Vegeta questionable. In fact some choices are questionable.

You're so obsessed with the idea of dubs only being good if the English voice actors sound like the Japanese, but aren't very good at choosing actors that actually sound like the Japanese. And I don't mean to offend you by saying that.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Gog wrote:
Vegeta was already wearing them and so was Goku IIRC.
Technically Goku shouldn't be wearing those, as he had to go golden ozaruo. Also does the super Saiyan four transformation make it so that you always lose your shirts?

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Doctor. wrote: Everything beyond SS1 was a mistake as far as I'm concerned.

Rosé is cool though.
Agreed.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm sorry, but I just don't get Horikawa vibes in James' portrayal. Have you even heard Horikawa's Vegeta? I don't feel any energy in James' Vegeta. He just feels miscast and too old, something I never felt about Horikawa's Z voice for Vegeta. By the way, I saw your DB dream cast in the Behind the Voice Actors forums and I find your choice for Vegeta questionable. In fact some choices are questionable.

You're so obsessed with the idea of dubs only being good if the English voice actors sound like the Japanese, but aren't very good at choosing actors that actually sound like the Japanese. And I don't mean to offend you by saying that.
I might call it a miscast, but it at least seems more accurate than the casting of the time (Drummond-Sabat Vegeta etc) was. I'd never legit cast Sabat as Vegeta in my right mind (though, as it has been, no one's getting fired of course), & Milton James certainly isn't my first choice either (I think I mentioned Kirk Thornton or as you said Crispin would both be much better). But I think his tone is much more naturally similar, is all. They were cast with audio references. Vegeta's laugh is also a dead giveaway of that. Again I don't think it's great by any means, but "it's the thought that counts" I think applies nicely here.