Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:09 pm

rereboy wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
Gog wrote:
Thanks for making that clear. :D
I am still not clear. That word means "both parents"; it's inherently plural.
Japanese doesn't have a true or real plural the way english does.

Here's a quote from another place: "In general, plurality in Japanese is determined by context, and not a simple change of the word, like how we can make "apple" into "apples", in English. If you wanted to express that you had seen birds, you would say something like, "Tori wo mita", which means the exact same thing as "I saw a bird". Context alone will tell you the true meaning."

What Freeza says in the manga doesn't constitute an exception. It's simply ambiguous enough due to this for a definite conclusion to not be possible.
This is true, but in the specific case of the word 両親, 両 means both or two. So 両親 does mean parents. I don't remember the word 両親 in the manga though, I thought Freeza said "父親", meaning father.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:53 am

LuckyCat wrote:
rereboy wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: I am still not clear. That word means "both parents"; it's inherently plural.
Japanese doesn't have a true or real plural the way english does.

Here's a quote from another place: "In general, plurality in Japanese is determined by context, and not a simple change of the word, like how we can make "apple" into "apples", in English. If you wanted to express that you had seen birds, you would say something like, "Tori wo mita", which means the exact same thing as "I saw a bird". Context alone will tell you the true meaning."

What Freeza says in the manga doesn't constitute an exception. It's simply ambiguous enough due to this for a definite conclusion to not be possible.
This is true, but in the specific case of the word 両親, 両 means both or two. So 両親 does mean parents. I don't remember the word 両親 in the manga though, I thought Freeza said "父親", meaning father.
What I know, due to various discussions here and thanks to Herms' input, is that what Freeza said in the manga regarding this subject is ambiguous due to how plural works in Japanese. I don't know the specific terms Freeza used in the manga, but if that term can't be seen as anything other than plural, then that term wasn't used by Freeza in the manga.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:05 am

rereboy wrote:
LuckyCat wrote: This is true, but in the specific case of the word 両親, 両 means both or two. So 両親 does mean parents. I don't remember the word 両親 in the manga though, I thought Freeza said "父親", meaning father.
What I know, due to various discussions here and thanks to Herms' input, is that what Freeza said in the manga regarding this subject is ambiguous due to how plural works in Japanese. I don't know the specific terms Freeza used in the manga, but if that term can't be seen as anything other than plural, then that term wasn't used by Freeza in the manga.
Indeed. Here's Herms on the word used.
Gog must have his sources mixed up, as the only time Ryoushin is used in regards to people later confirmed to only have one parent is with the son of Katazz.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:40 pm

It would be interesting to see an episode where Goku visits his grandpa in the Afterlife, people often mentions Bardock but his soul probably don't exist anymore. Although an interaction between them would be glorious too.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Noah wrote:It would be interesting to see an episode where Goku visits his grandpa in the Afterlife, people often mentions Bardock but his soul probably don't exist anymore. Although an interaction between them would be glorious too.
They met each other during the last filler arc in Dragon Ball if that counts.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:01 pm

If you upgraded Goku's intellect (on a smarts & emotional level together) how would that mesh with his fighting addiction? Make him more considerate or potentially turn him into a psychotic maniac?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:07 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:If you upgraded Goku's intellect (on a smarts & emotional level together) how would that mesh with his fighting addiction? Make him more considerate or potentially turn him into a psychotic maniac?
I feel like he'd be more considerate and sorta similar to his personality in the old dub portrayals.

As a bonus, one thing I think is key here is that, Goku's intellect has always sorta been iffy in the franchise. It goes up and down depending on which arc we're talking about. It was probably at it's highest in the the timespan of 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai-Freeza arc. After that, it kinda went down from there.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:43 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:If you upgraded Goku's intellect (on a smarts & emotional level together) how would that mesh with his fighting addiction? Make him more considerate or potentially turn him into a psychotic maniac?
I see him actively manipulating others, instead of just letting his playthings follow their own path. For example, he could probably talk Chi-Chi into training Gohan. Instead of ignoring Kuririn, Tenshinhan and the others after they lagged behind, he would push them to do the same training as him and foster them to get stronger, not putting all of his eggs in the same basket.

That's an adult Goku, if he had such a level at an young age it's possible he could turn into a monster. It's a bit hard to imagine.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:02 am

I'm curious. Why is it that the "Remastered with Kikuchi" Funimation dubs of DBZ Movies 1 and 3 have clearer source M/E audio (with almost no added sound effects) than the Pioneer dubs of those movies, but the "Remastered with Kikuchi" Funimation dub of DBZ Movie 2 reuse the Pioneer M/E track (complete with LQ and Reverbed Kikuchi and Hanna Barbers sound effects) and did a half passed job of removing said sound effects to the point where they're arguably more distracting than they are in the Pioneer dub? (Example: Goku is using the Kinto Un to fly to Wheelo's base. When Kochin shows the approaching Goku, the Pioneer/Hanna Barbara wheelbarrow noise that Ocean used for the Kinto Un could he heard, but when the film cuts to him, the wheelbarrow noise abruptly stops)

A similar question. Which do you find more cringeworthy regarding the dubs of DBZ Movie 1, the added sound effects of the Pioneer dub (especially with Cohan's scenes) or Funimation's version of the Drunk Gohan scene (which I personally find less cringeworthy by switching to the Johnson score just for that scene)?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:15 am

The sound effects in the Pioneer dub might be unnecessary, but I find the FUNi version of Drunk Gohan more cringeworthy.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Darnis

Post by Darnis » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:38 am

Has there ever been a piece of Japanese merchandise that used SSJ instead of SS?
Raditz did nothing wrong

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:36 pm

LightBing wrote:I see him actively manipulating others, instead of just letting his playthings follow their own path. For example, he could probably talk Chi-Chi into training Gohan. Instead of ignoring Kuririn, Tenshinhan and the others after they lagged behind, he would push them to do the same training as him and foster them to get stronger, not putting all of his eggs in the same basket.

That's an adult Goku, if he had such a level at an young age it's possible he could turn into a monster. It's a bit hard to imagine.
Why a monster?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:09 am

Noah wrote:
LightBing wrote:I see him actively manipulating others, instead of just letting his playthings follow their own path. For example, he could probably talk Chi-Chi into training Gohan. Instead of ignoring Kuririn, Tenshinhan and the others after they lagged behind, he would push them to do the same training as him and foster them to get stronger, not putting all of his eggs in the same basket.

Why a monster?
Imagine a child who has the power to act upon his selfish desires, nobody to stop him and nothing to provide him a moral compass.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:51 pm

Why is it that I see some people using "Super Saiyan Ikari" in place of "Super Saiyan Rage"? I mean, SSJ Rage sounds about as stupid as Super Saiyan does to begin with, so I doubt that's it.

(Not that I think "Super Saiyan" is stupid, mind you; I'm just making a comparison.)
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Why is it that I see some people using "Super Saiyan Ikari" in place of "Super Saiyan Rage"? I mean, SSJ Rage sounds about as stupid as Super Saiyan does to begin with, so I doubt that's it.

(Not that I think "Super Saiyan" is stupid, mind you; I'm just making a comparison.)
Well, some people think Super Saiyan Ikari sounds cooler than Super Saiyan Rage. :D

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

You know, upon finding these Freeza Race designs I have to ask, but where they designed by Toriyama?

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 am

Why does Vegito say Yosha? I know Yosh(i) means something akin to "All right!" and I know that's what he's saying, but he pronounces it as Yosha. Is there a reason behind that or... what's the difference?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:41 am

Anime Kitten wrote:Why is it that I see some people using "Super Saiyan Ikari" in place of "Super Saiyan Rage"? I mean, SSJ Rage sounds about as stupid as Super Saiyan does to begin with, so I doubt that's it.

We don't need two SSRs, we have Goku-Black's SS Rosé and then Trunks' form.

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:26 am

Asura wrote:Why does Vegito say Yosha? I know Yosh(i) means something akin to "All right!" and I know that's what he's saying, but he pronounces it as Yosha. Is there a reason behind that or... what's the difference?
I think that variation changes it to Alrighty, y'know how some people say "Alrighty then..." or "ALRIGHTY!"(Vegito)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 am

dbgtFO wrote:

We don't need two SSRs, we have Goku-Black's SS Rosé and then Trunks' form.
Rage isn't the only translation. "Super Saiyan Anger" has also been used. I think the point of the question is "Why do some people leave the name untranslated?"
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:18 pm

How does goku stay motivated to train so hard or even fight continuously..
In real world people usually have a sudden burst of motivation which lasts some days at max with decreasing intensity each passing moment..

Real martial artists do training most of the week but it's never as intense as goku does everyday
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker