Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Guesswhoo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Did Beerus really ordered Frieza to destroy planet vegeta ? Because I never saw that in the movie or in DBS.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:13 pm

What do people here think of Ryusei Nakao as Cooler? Did you think it was a great performance or would you have preferred another actor? While I think another actor could have worked well, Nakao did great in the part IMO.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:20 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:What do people here think of Ryusei Nakao as Cooler? Did you think it was a great performance or would you have preferred another actor? While I think another actor could have worked well, Nakao did great in the part IMO.
Does Nakao have a brother who acts? :lol: ? I like his Coola, It's basically just a deeper version of his Frost voice which lacks the elegance of his Freeza. If I were to pick another actor, Jouji Nakata who surprisingly has never been in Dragon Ball would make an amazing Coola.

On Topic:
I really like how they got Chris Ayres brother Greg to voice frost, and I really hope he recovers from his illness before the dub reaches the Tournament.

So glad they got Mathew Mercer to voice Hit, much better than his Xeno 2 voice. It gives me hope that Sabat will take Sean's Black in a more accurate direction.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:45 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:What do people here think of Ryusei Nakao as Cooler? Did you think it was a great performance or would you have preferred another actor? While I think another actor could have worked well, Nakao did great in the part IMO.
He did a good job. I love Nakao's Freeza but I dunno, his Coola just sounds like another Freeza to me. I prefer Ricardo Brust (Latin American dub) take on the character.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:07 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
He did a good job. I love Nakao's Freeza but I dunno, his Coola just sounds like another Freeza to me. I prefer Ricardo Brust (Latin American dub) take on the character.
His Coola is definitely different even though it's obviously the same actor. Coola's voice is deeper than Freeza and looses that androgynous speech pattern that makes Freeza more posh sounding. I always thought Andrew Chandler's coola was a bright spot for old Funi dubs, he's definitely more popular in the dub community mainly due to his voice.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:His Coola is definitely different even though it's obviously the same actor. Coola's voice is deeper than Freeza and looses that androgynous speech pattern that makes Freeza more posh sounding. I always thought Andrew Chandler's coola was a bright spot for old Funi dubs, he's definitely more popular in the dub community mainly due to his voice.
It's not a bad voice for Coola. Its a really good take on the character and it is different from Nakao's Freeza. I just wasn't really impressed by his Coola. I've only watched the first Coola movie once in Japanese. I need to watch it again. But personally I like Ricardo Burst's Coola better.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:58 pm

I have a feeling that the whole misconception of "Goku always wins" comes from one of these two reasons:

1. Goku victories in DBZ movies: I think this is the only place where Goku has an overall higher %win rate than in the anime/manga.

2. Goku having a lot of screentime: a side effect of power creep leaving non saiyans in the dust and taking out their screentime in favor of Goku (and other saiyans). While having more screentime is not the same as winning a fight it does give the (misleading) impression that he's the only ones that get the major fights.

Or a third option could be the above combined.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm

2. Goku having a lot of screentime: a side effect of power creep leaving non saiyans in the dust
More the result of him being the main character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:If you're wanting a good long-running series, try JoJo.
JoJo, the series that successfully doesn't fuck up where most other Shonen very much do.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:15 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
JoJo, the series that successfully doesn't fuck up where most other little boys very much do.
Jojo isn't little boys! It's seinen.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
JoJo, the series that successfully doesn't fuck up where most other little boys very much do.
JoJo is one of the greatest Seinen series, just like this American cartoon known as Dragon Ball. :P

Also, why is there this huge stigma with referring to Ningens as 'humans'?

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Gog wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: JoJo, the series that successfully doesn't fuck up where most other little boys very much do.
JoJo is one of the greatest Seinen series, just like this American cartoon known as Dragon Ball. :P

Also, why is there this huge stigma with referring to Ningens as 'humans'?
Because weaboos. There's faithfulness to the source material, and then there's being literal and refusing to translate regular nouns.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Wasn't it Shonem until SBR?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:30 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: JoJo, the series that successfully doesn't fuck up where most other little boys very much do.
Wasn't it Shonem until SBR?
Yes. Steel Ball Run was where Araki transitioned from Weekly Shonen Jump to Ultra Jump in 2004.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Why the past episodes in the "Episode Archive Discussion" had been excluded? :?

I love his Coola, probably even more than I like his Freeza. The only character Nakao voiced that I really don't like is Frost, they should have got another voice actor.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 am

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:It seems like people are glamorizing an abusive relationship and that's disturbing.
Those people are sick.
Romano's Batman is pretty underrated. He was also a pretty cool Spider-Man. Am I the only here who prefers him to Josh Keaton?
Nope. Keaton's good but Romano's Spider-Man is always how I hear the character.
I'd do everything to hear him again in the role. He and Barnes are my favorites.
nickzambuto wrote:Has Schemmel ever talked about or tried doing a kid Goku voice?
Have no idea, but I get the feeling that the result would be very awkward, kind of like what happened with Peter Kelamis.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:00 pm

I just realized today, Tom King's Batman is the Dragon Ball Super of DC comics :P

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:09 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I just realized today, Tom King's Batman is the Dragon Ball Super of DC comics :P
Don't like him as a writer, eh?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:15 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I just realized today, Tom King's Batman is the Dragon Ball Super of DC comics :P
He's actually really great on everything besides that book, it's just his Batman run is a train wreck I can't help but keep following, much like Super ;)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:26 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
He's actually really great on everything besides that book, it's just his Batman run is a train wreck I can't help but keep following, much like Super ;)
He's still better than Frank Miller's work on All-Star Batman & Robin IMO.