Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:57 am

Why are there separate issue dates and a sale dates almost a month apart with Weekly Shonen Jump releases?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 am

mute_proxy wrote:Why are there separate issue dates and a sale dates almost a month apart with Weekly Shonen Jump releases?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/weekly-jump/
ISSUE DATE VS SALE DATE
Being a continually running weekly magazine, each issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump is categorized by its corresponding publication year and weekly issue number (i.e. 1984 #51). At the time Dragon Ball was in serialization, Shueisha also provided a single date along with this volume number, typically corresponding to the Monday of that week of the given year. However, this “issue date” printed on the cover of each issue (shown below) was merely for categorical purposes only and is not the actual date the issue was released. In fact, until the beginning of the 21st century, the only way to find the official release date of a given issue was to check the preview for it in the previous issue.

During the run of Dragon Ball, copies of Weekly Shōnen Jump were officially released on Tuesdays, usually (though not always) the Tuesday two weeks prior to the “issue date”. However, retailers commonly put copies on sale as soon as they received them, which meant that the magazine was generally available on Mondays in all but the remotest parts of Japan, even before its official switch to a Monday release in May 2003. Exceptions to this Tuesday rule were generally when the Monday of that week was a holiday (pushing it to the Saturday before), and the last issue of December and first issue of January, which were more variable. (Holidays falling on a Tuesday would push the actual release to Monday regardless of when retailers usually started selling copies, but this did not affect the advertised release date.) This is the “sale date”, which is advertised in the previous issue of the magazine. For example, the issue date listed on Weekly Shōnen Jump 1985 #10 is 18 February 1985 (left), but the issue officially went on sale to the public on 05 February 1985 (right) as advertised in the previous issue (and it would have been widely available the day before that).

This type of cataloguing also carries over to Shueisha’s monthly anthology magazines as well: magazines released at the beginning of the month, such as Saikyō Jump, are released one month in advance of their issue date (so that the January issue is actually released in December of the previous year), while those released at the end of the month, such as V-Jump, are released two months ahead of the issue date (the January issue is released in November of the previous year).

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:27 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:[spoiler]
mute_proxy wrote:Why are there separate issue dates and a sale dates almost a month apart with Weekly Shonen Jump releases?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/weekly-jump/
ISSUE DATE VS SALE DATE
Being a continually running weekly magazine, each issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump is categorized by its corresponding publication year and weekly issue number (i.e. 1984 #51). At the time Dragon Ball was in serialization, Shueisha also provided a single date along with this volume number, typically corresponding to the Monday of that week of the given year. However, this “issue date” printed on the cover of each issue (shown below) was merely for categorical purposes only and is not the actual date the issue was released. In fact, until the beginning of the 21st century, the only way to find the official release date of a given issue was to check the preview for it in the previous issue.

During the run of Dragon Ball, copies of Weekly Shōnen Jump were officially released on Tuesdays, usually (though not always) the Tuesday two weeks prior to the “issue date”. However, retailers commonly put copies on sale as soon as they received them, which meant that the magazine was generally available on Mondays in all but the remotest parts of Japan, even before its official switch to a Monday release in May 2003. Exceptions to this Tuesday rule were generally when the Monday of that week was a holiday (pushing it to the Saturday before), and the last issue of December and first issue of January, which were more variable. (Holidays falling on a Tuesday would push the actual release to Monday regardless of when retailers usually started selling copies, but this did not affect the advertised release date.) This is the “sale date”, which is advertised in the previous issue of the magazine. For example, the issue date listed on Weekly Shōnen Jump 1985 #10 is 18 February 1985 (left), but the issue officially went on sale to the public on 05 February 1985 (right) as advertised in the previous issue (and it would have been widely available the day before that).

This type of cataloguing also carries over to Shueisha’s monthly anthology magazines as well: magazines released at the beginning of the month, such as Saikyō Jump, are released one month in advance of their issue date (so that the January issue is actually released in December of the previous year), while those released at the end of the month, such as V-Jump, are released two months ahead of the issue date (the January issue is released in November of the previous year).
[/spoiler]
Oh man.. I found a Jump issue for sale with the cover date being one day after I was born, too bad it was already out by then. Oh well, still a nice souvenir :)

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:03 pm

When I first watched Dragon Ball Z, I started with Kai and went to regular Z (all dubbed) when I caught up to Kai's most recent episode at the time. Not that that really matters, the point is that I was on "regular Z" during the Buu arc, and the version I watched used "Mr. Satan", not "Hercule". (x) I had no idea "Hercule" was a thing even though I had watched the Funimation dub. So I guess my question is which Funimation dub did I watch? (The video I linked doesn't say.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Alruneia wrote:When I first watched Dragon Ball Z, I started with Kai and went to regular Z (all dubbed) when I caught up to Kai's most recent episode at the time. Not that that really matters, the point is that I was on "regular Z" during the Buu arc, and the version I watched used "Mr. Satan", not "Hercule". (x) I had no idea "Hercule" was a thing even though I had watched the Funimation dub. So I guess my question is which Funimation dub did I watch? (The video I linked doesn't say.)
I guess, that's the remastered dub, they released for home media starting with the orange bricks(?).

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:20 pm

There were uncut releases before the Orange Bricks (well, not for 28-67A, but still).
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 am

Proxy FromJapan are having a 5% AmazonJP sale, perfect opportunity to snag some things from 3rd party sellers! Basic forwarding is also free but for rare or valuable items it is probably wise using the full plan (note using the full plan they will use insured domestic shipping instead of regular so you'll have to count for the cost of that too).

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm

One question :
When Z started to being dubbed in-house by FUNimation, who translated the scripts from Japanese?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 am

The ending of Future Trunks Arc and Devilman seen oddly similar (not exactly a 1:1 similarity, just a semi-superficial one):

[spoiler]Both heroes end up with their goals ending up in vain with the complete death of everything they fought for.[/spoiler]
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:14 am

I don't know if it has been asked before, but what happened to all those arms Piccolo left on the arena before getting eliminated from the tournament of power? Are they still on the arena?
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 am

TheDipDap1234 wrote:I don't know if it has been asked before, but what happened to all those arms Piccolo left on the arena before getting eliminated from the tournament of power? Are they still on the arena?

Probably, if they haven't been blown up to bits by wayward ki blasts. I'd imagine that if they'd have been sent flying out of the ring, they'd be pop up to where U7's is sitting and wouldn't that be awkward. :lol:
To bad Piccolo never managed to achieve Cell level regeneration, otherwise he could use those removed parts to make clones. :P

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:23 am

So apparently FES is how people call Festivals in Japan. Can anyone confirm this? Reason I ask there have been a line of DBS figures for a while called Son Goku FES and the FES is always written in English with everything else wrriten in Japanese eg for stage 6:ドラゴンボール超 孫悟空FES!!其之六. So I've always wondered what FES meant but if it does mean short of Festival guess that makes sense sort of.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:44 am

What happened to those manga scenes we saw in the trailer for ToP where everyone was kneeling in cloaks and stuff?

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:24 pm

mute_proxy wrote:What happened to those manga scenes we saw in the trailer for ToP where everyone was kneeling in cloaks and stuff?
He redrew them but without the cloaks. I think theybwere used to keep the GoDs designs hidden in the promotional trailers
Get Fucked, C_unt

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Here's a good question. What if Limit-Break x Survivor was the opening for the entirety of Super, and not just the opening for the Universe Survival Arc? Do you think that would've been fitting for the series?
Caulifla best girl! :)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:14 pm

I wish DragongarowLEE was the guy who could've done the Super manga, if only for his art style which I find a lot more appealing then Toyotaro's.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:18 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I wish DragongarowLEE was the guy who could've done the Super manga, if only for his art style which I find a lot more appealing then Toyotaro's.
Saw some pics of his artwork, didn't like it much... He relies too much on the old DB Toriyama art style.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 am

Do you guys think the new movie will be adapted to Super episodes (like the previous two movies) in case the series returns?

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:21 pm

So I was re-reading the Super Manga Trunks's arc, and I noticed that Goku never once fought with Black. What do you guys think about it? I loved the arc, but this fight nit beign there bothers me. Do you think it was a missed opportunity?
Get Fucked, C_unt

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Do you think it was a missed opportunity?
A hundred time yes! Seeing how Black had some chemistry with Goku in the anime, it was such a shame that they never fought in the manga, though manga Black is just a generic thug in comparison to anime Black and his flamboyant personality.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.