Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:26 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Don't why so many people are surprised by the DN netlfix film. Right from the production I'm pretty sure it was known it wasn't gonna be faithful.
Anime & manga adaptation standards are a bit different since the expecation there is to stick close to the source material which is why I can, up to a point, get why people are annoyed it wasn't just another page for page translation. It's not like with American comics where multiverses and alternate stakes are the norm and I want to wring the neck of every asshole who spews "NOT FAITHFUL TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL!" about anything and everything with their vast knowledge of 5 Batman TAS episodes.
That is primarily why a live action DB will never fly, it is impossible to do. Either you deviate away and piss people off or stick somewhat close and it becomes bad and turns people off completely (ie hair cuts and transformations etc there is no way these would look remotely good in live action).

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Don't why so many people are surprised by the DN netlfix film. Right from the production I'm pretty sure it was known it wasn't gonna be faithful.
Anime & manga adaptation standards are a bit different since the expecation there is to stick close to the source material which is why I can, up to a point, get why people are annoyed it wasn't just another page for page translation. It's not like with American comics where multiverses and alternate stakes are the norm and I want to wring the neck of every asshole who spews "NOT FAITHFUL TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL!" about anything and everything with their vast knowledge of 5 Batman TAS episodes.
That is primarily why a live action DB will never fly, it is impossible to do. Either you deviate away and piss people off or stick somewhat close and it becomes bad and turns people off completely (ie hair cuts and transformations etc there is no way these would look remotely good in live action).
A primary problem with most manga adaptations is that they aren't really made for films. They're long form stories that are made for serialization and work better in a longer format adaptations because of it. Now, if you had a series of movies you could cover more ground but that'll inevitably cause changes too.

Say we get a DB live action movie series, you cast a young kid as Goku for movie 1, let's say 12-13, by the time the second movie that's supposed to be about the 21st Budokai comes out, he'll be 2-3 years older. Then 2-3 more by the RRA arc which means Goku will be a grown man by the third movie when he's not in the manga. That's not even taking into account that Goku looks like a 10 year old until he's 15 and good fucking luck finding an actor to fit THAT criteria. This all assumes you can even get a movie series to begin with which is a presumption many a franchise has tried to and failed at realizing nowadays.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 pm

I like that the Future Trunks arc had Trunks witness what he missed with seeing Super Saiyan 3 and the potaro fusion and stuff.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Live action aesthetics aside, I think you can keep the essence of DB and hit many of the beats of DB in a movie. It's just a different form of storytelling. You can't adapt every single thing and every single character but you can get enough of them for it to work story wise.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am

Pickle_Jar wrote:Piccolo needs to take care of more babies. He's destroying me with cuteness in Super. :lol:

Both links go to youtube clips.

Seriously, this is killing me in the best way. I'd love to see how Scott McNeil dubs that. (Sorry, I'm not into Chris Sabat's Piccolo voice...it doesn't work for me.)

Watch for Piccolo's "oh shit!" face, it's hysterical. He's such a mama hen.

What makes that so much sweeter is NONE of that would be happening if Piccolo never took off with Gohan at the beginning of DBZ. He's had character development that is just as profound as Vegeta's.

Now I want to see Piccolo use one of Pan's nasty poo diapers as a weapon in a fight JUST FOR LULZ.
Unfortunately, Ocean isn't going to dub Super. God, I'd love to see Scott as Piccolo with better voice direction. Same with Brian Drummond as Vegeta.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:26 am

I remember Super Saiyan Rose got leaked early through a picture of Shikishi Art. Does anyone know when the next Shikishi art set comes out? I'm waiting for one that'll have Goku's new form

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:Just watched the new Death Note and now I want a new live action Dragon Ball movie even LESS than before.
Maybe not Holywood, but I could put faith that the japanese producers would do a good DB Live Action, just look at the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy, it's brilliant done apart from some characterizations.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Noah wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Just watched the new Death Note and now I want a new live action Dragon Ball movie even LESS than before.
Maybe not Holywood, but I could put faith that the japanese producers would do a good DB Live Action, just look at the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy, it's brilliant done apart from some characterizations.
Or be it an abysmal trash like Attack on Titan.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 am

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/ ... ummary/62/

What would be a proper translation of the first sentence or two? Using google translate I'm interested in what they mean by, "Trunks mutated by anger".

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:49 pm

I used to confuse dbzfan94 with ZombieVito when both had similar RoF Piccolo avatars, the same thing with Doctor. and FortuneSSJ similar SSJ God Goku avatars, now I confuse SansrivaaL with Baggie_Saiyan :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:16 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Not all American comics are Marvel and DC. There are many comics in North America that follow one story from start to finish like from Dark Horse, Image, Vertigo, IDW and many others. I had no issue with the casting for the Netflix Death Note movie because I view it in another universe type of movie. We already have movies from Japan of Death Note. Let America do it's own thing.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Not all American comics are Marvel and DC. There are many comics in North America that follow one story from start to finish like from Dark Horse, Image, Vertigo, IDW and many others. I had no issue with the casting for the Netflix Death Note movie because I view it in another universe type of movie. We already have movies from Japan of Death Note. Let America do it's own thing.
Sorry, I have a bad habbit of just chalking up American comics as just superheroes even though I know it's not the just that. But you're right, Death Note already got a whole set of live action movies so it's REALLY pointless to just get the same thing except made by Americans.

It would be as pointless as making a straight page for page Watchmen adaptation after we got the live action movie. Well, unless you're one of those people really sore about the squid being omitted.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Hitorijanaí is the best ending song this franchise ever had.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:07 am

You know, watching both one piece and dbs being totally blind is exciting and all. But hell not knowing that there would be no episode this Sunday has killed me.

In super's #107 Frost was finally going to do some shit, Roshi would be in danger and my boy Magetta would be back. And #106 was pretty boring (poor Tien ) so that makes this even more painful.

And god damn i was really looking forward to seeing Luffy eat some crackers and i'm really invested with Sanji's family trauma plot (didn't care that much about him before).

Damn it if i knew about any of this at least two days ago, i would have been prepared for this shit :lol:
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Does anybody else laugh to this day when they are re-watching scenes and the match with Monaka and Hit comes up? I don't know why I love it a lot but it never fails to make me smile or chuckle.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:04 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Anime & manga adaptation standards are a bit different since the expecation there is to stick close to the source material which is why I can, up to a point, get why people are annoyed it wasn't just another page for page translation. It's not like with American comics where multiverses and alternate stakes are the norm and I want to wring the neck of every asshole who spews "NOT FAITHFUL TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL!" about anything and everything with their vast knowledge of 5 Batman TAS episodes.
Sorry, I have a bad habbit of just chalking up American comics as just superheroes even though I know it's not the just that. But you're right, Death Note already got a whole set of live action movies so it's REALLY pointless to just get the same thing except made by Americans.

It would be as pointless as making a straight page for page Watchmen adaptation after we got the live action movie. Well, unless you're one of those people really sore about the squid being omitted.
As much as I hate the Watchmen movie, they did a good choice in not using the squid. It would have been too silly.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 am

Would anyone here join an Kanzenshuu discord?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:27 pm

There's one already.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Would anyone here join an Kanzenshuu discord?
What do you mean?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:22 am

Noah wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Would anyone here join an Kanzenshuu discord?
What do you mean?
Discord is a more or less a chat app. Kinda like Skype