Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by DBZ Macky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:32 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: I guess what I'm asking is since I read that in Japan, kanji is used exclusively where applicable except in children's books, does the kanji being explained by hiragana and katakana prove that Dragon Ball is essentially a children's book? Or did I just misinterpret kanji's use and many things in Japan are written in this way?
I can't answer this going off my own knowledge of Japanese, but...
Jump publications and various Dragon Ball books are aimed at kids, and therefore utilize furigana, phonetic script indicating how the various kanji should be read, since children are still learning the reading for everyday kanji.
I found this on Kanzenshuu here, which probably answers your question.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Alruneia wrote:Do people believe Pan went Super Saiyan during the God ritual?
Yes, seems like a natural escalation of being a child conceived by someone as strong as Gohan. Just as kid Trunks and Goten blew everyone away going ssj at such a young age.

Not only that, but seeing as Pan was crucial to the God ritual, I think she deserves to be the first female to get SSJ Blue, even though I suspect Califlia will no doubt achieve it.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:00 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote: I guess what I'm asking is since I read that in Japan, kanji is used exclusively where applicable except in children's books, does the kanji being explained by hiragana and katakana prove that Dragon Ball is essentially a children's book? Or did I just misinterpret kanji's use and many things in Japan are written in this way?
I can't answer this going off my own knowledge of Japanese, but...
Jump publications and various Dragon Ball books are aimed at kids, and therefore utilize furigana, phonetic script indicating how the various kanji should be read, since children are still learning the reading for everyday kanji.
I found this on Kanzenshuu here, which probably answers your question.
Thanks a lot! Yeah, it's kind of what I suspected.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:You know what I'd like? A true no BS bad guy to appear in the series. There's no boasting, no bravado, no code of honor, he just shows up at max power from the beginning and unrelentingly tries to kill the opposition.
You mean a villain that passes through the plot armor and kill the main characters without holding back?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Noah wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:You know what I'd like? A true no BS bad guy to appear in the series. There's no boasting, no bravado, no code of honor, he just shows up at max power from the beginning and unrelentingly tries to kill the opposition.
You mean a villain that passes through the plot armor and kill the main characters without holding back?
Not necessarily, if the guy is just as powerful as the main character then it could work out, he may try to kill them from the beginning, no mercy, but he wouldn't be able to achieve it because the MC is being a pest.. or something like that
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:13 pm

I don't know if this was confirmed to be true, but I can't believe Chester Bennington is dead. Those Linkin Park AMV were what made me want to rewatch all the series again, back in 2006.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Noah wrote:I don't know if this was confirmed to be true, but I can't believe Chester Bennington is dead. Those Linkin Park AMV were what made me want to rewatch all the series again, back in 2006.
It is confirmed..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:It is confirmed..
Yeah I read in other sites too, pretty sad though.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Noah wrote:
Not necessarily, if the guy is just as powerful as the main character then it could work out, he may try to kill them from the beginning, no mercy, but he wouldn't be able to achieve it because the MC is being a pest.. or something like that
Is his goal simply to kill the main character - presumably Goku? If it's no BS and goes straight for Goku, how long would that arc be? I can't imagine it could sustain very long.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:05 pm

ABED wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Noah wrote:
Is his goal simply to kill the main character - presumably Goku? If it's no BS and goes straight for Goku, how long would that arc be? I can't imagine it could sustain very long.
It couldn't work if it was just kill the good guys, which is why he'd have an alternate goal that would conflict with the good guys and he wouldn't waste his breath with fair play or boasting, just right down to business if anyone gets in his way.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:09 pm

In this hypothetical story, that goal should keep the heroes and the villain away from each other because if they are constantly clashing, it will get repetitive, tiring, and make both sides look incompetent if neither can finish the other off.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Even the characters who're kind of shown as no nonsense like Hit are either kept at bay by outside rules or succumb to the whole "martial arts code of honor" stuff.
Wasn't Broly sort of that?
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Either the arc will be really short, like Garlic Jr. short, or it has to be a movie.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:29 am

Akyon wrote:

Even the characters who're kind of shown as no nonsense like Hit are either kept at bay by outside rules or succumb to the whole "martial arts code of honor" stuff.
Broly has the no holds barred beat down thing going for him but his motivation is so stupid and he has no personality that he's missing the stuff to make him interesting besides not wanting to dick around.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 am

You know, that kind of villain really would have worked far better than the Androids for the Android and Cell Arc. It really would have made Future Trunk's warning that much more needed when the main Villain would have shown up, at full power, and kill you as quickly, and cleanly as possible. :)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:30 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Akyon wrote:

Broly has the no holds barred beat down thing going for him but his motivation is so stupid and he has no personality that he's missing the stuff to make him interesting besides not wanting to dick around.
I don't remember The World's Strongest well, but I'm pretty sure Dr. Wheelo also went straight to the point.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Akyon wrote:
I don't remember The World's Strongest well, but I'm pretty sure Dr. Wheelo also went straight to the point.
Wheelo's plan kind of goes into moron territory when he goes after Roshi but he's got post-Saiyan arc Piccolo under his control :P

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 am

ekrolo2 wrote: Wheelo's plan kind of goes into moron territory when he goes after Roshi but he's got post-Saiyan arc Piccolo under his control :P
He thought Roshi was even stronger given his reputation. He probably didn't even know who Piccolo was. He didn't have scouters or anything like that, he only realizes that Roshi isn't that strong when he is defeated by his minions.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:09 am

This is actually a very interesting thread worthy discussion.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:05 am

Schemmel said in an interview that Sabat met Toriyama once and was actually instructed to *not* look at him. That's kind of wild, but it's also endearing.