Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MaskedRider
Banned

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by MaskedRider » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:36 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Noah wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Would you say there is a considerable amount of people who are only watching Super in English as it airs?
I don't think so, this is not the 90's anymore. People can watch the episodes dubbed or subbed anytime they like in the internet.
Who knows, DBZ has a huge casual following in the US and Nozawa's Goku might make the show unwatchable for some people.
I know on tumblr I see people watching it for the first time due to that

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:19 pm

If you were in charge of Funimation what characters would you have recasted in Dragon Ball Z Kai, and onwards? And who would voice them, and why?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Noah wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Would you say there is a considerable amount of people who are only watching Super in English as it airs?
I don't think so, this is not the 90's anymore. People can watch the episodes dubbed or subbed anytime they like in the internet.
You actually can't watch it dubbed online legally. Well, you can through Adult Swim's streaming but you can't access that unless you already have a cable package that includes Adult Swim. Same with all of Kai

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Nobody answered my question.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Nobody answered my question.
It hasn't even been 2 hours since you posted it.
Be patient, maybe somebody will log on and answer it.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:If you were in charge of Funimation what characters would you have recasted in Dragon Ball Z Kai, and onwards? And who would voice them, and why?
Honestly, if I could have one voice recast, it would be Kaio/King Kai. I mean Sean Schemmel isn’t a bad actor by any means (not these days anyway), but the voice he does for Kaio is just insufferable and completely unfitting to the character.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:22 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:If you were in charge of Funimation what characters would you have recasted in Dragon Ball Z Kai, and onwards? And who would voice them, and why?
Honestly, if I could have one voice recast, it would be Kaio/King Kai. I mean Sean Schemmel isn’t a bad actor by any means (not these days anyway), but the voice he does for Kaio is just insufferable and completely unfitting to the character.
I think with minor alterations Doc Morgan(Kai and Super narrator) would be an excellent Kaio, hell even the narrator for funi's One Piece dub(he was also Guru in kai) would be great.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:30 pm

I really want to see Patrick Seitz in something Dragon Ball and think he would have been a great recoome, but it looks like their saving him for Toppo or even Jiren when the dub reaches that point.

Who do you think would make a good English Caulifla?

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:40 pm

I liked Don Brown as Kaio. I think that's a legitimate take on the character - he has a goofy appearance and goofy voice and often has a goofy temperament, but he has wisdom. I buy all aspects of his character coming from Brown, but I don't from Schemmel.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I'd recast Kaio, Ox-King, Android 16, Recoome and Yamcha. I'd keep Sabat as Jeice. Liebrecht is a good VA, but he just sounds like Rob Paulsen.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:47 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
I'd recast Kaio, Ox-King, Android 16, Recoome and Yamcha. I'd keep Sabat as Jeice. Liebrecht is a good VA, but he just sounds like Rob Paulsen.
So having a campy accent is okay but only with certain characters? I agree with all except jeice and 16.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:51 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
And whom would play them?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Kaio: Doc Morgan
Recoome: Patrick Seitz
Yamcha: Chris Patton

Need time to think of people who could play Ox-King and Android 16.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:06 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I'd recast Kaio, Ox-King, Android 16, Recoome and Yamcha. I'd keep Sabat as Jeice. Liebrecht is a good VA, but he just sounds like Rob Paulsen.

You know, I actually think Chuck Huber would be a pretty good Yamcha. Because he actually has a similar voice pitch to Tōru Furuya. But, explain your reasons why you'd cast Chris Patton.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:10 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: And whom would play them?

You know, I actually think Chuck Huber would be a pretty good Yamcha. Because he actually has a similar voice pitch to Tōru Furuya. But, explain your reasons why you'd cast Chris Patton.
I don't know how to explain, but somehow I think he would just fit.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:11 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Kaio: Doc Morgan

I don't how to explain, but somehow I think he would just fit.
Would you say, Chuck Huber, is the second best option?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: You know, I actually think Chuck Huber would be a pretty good Yamcha. Because he actually has a similar voice pitch to Tōru Furuya. But, explain your reasons why you'd cast Chris Patton.
I don't how to explain, but somehow I think he would just fit.
Would you say, Chuck Huber, is the second best option?
Yeah, Huber could work.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
I really want to see Patrick Seitz in something Dragon Ball and think he would have been a great recoome, but it looks like their saving him for Toppo or even Jiren when the dub reaches that point.

I think that role is dead set for Marchi. Really can't see anyone else voicing her.

Speaking of Seitz, I'd think he'd be good for Jiren. I think Toppo is made for Sabat. But man when they come to dub the current arc I am sure everyone at FUNi would definitely have been in DB in then by some form, Sabat has a huge job on his hands there!

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I'd recast Kaio, Ox-King, Android 16, Recoome and Yamcha. I'd keep Sabat as Jeice. Liebrecht is a good VA, but he just sounds like Rob Paulsen.

Just have Rager voice Gyumao since he already voices Enma and Mr Satan just like Gouri .

Still not sure about 16, but I like Inman's 16 so there's that.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:

I think that role is dead set for Marchi. Really can't see anyone else voicing her.

Speaking of Seitz, I'd think he'd be good for Jiren. I think Toppo is made for Sabat. But man when they come to dub the current arc I am sure everyone at FUNi would definitely have been in DB in then by some form, Sabat has a huge job on his hands there!
Don't they share actors with Sentai Filmworks or something.