Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I would argue that the three Dragon Ball movies could fit into a theoretical movies timeline alongside all the Z movies.
The problem with most Z movies is not just deviations from the main story but also from previous movies (ignoring Broly trilogy), do you guys think there's a way of having the first 5 Z Movies (Garlic Jr, Uiro, Tullece, Slug and Coola) to happen in one chronology?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:57 pm

IMO, the Garlic Jr saga has to happen after Tree of Might (that's where Icarus is introduced) but Tree of Might has to happen after Goku returns from Yardrat (it's the only spot that chronologically makes sense)...however the Garlic Jr saga (which has Icarus in it) has to take place before Goku returns from Yardrat. To me this web of contradictions makes the whole "Krillin met Gohan in Movie 1 when he shouldn't have met him until Goku introduces him at Master Roshi's Island" thing look utterly tame in comparison.

The only way to let the Garlic Jr saga fit where it's supposed to is to remove all appearances of Icarus, and I don't know if that's possible.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Or we ignore the Garlirc Jr. saga, and just have the movies. None of the series or manga, just the movies. A lot of events from the manga/series happened, but probably very differently.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:49 am

Would Saiyans technically be Humans?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:04 am

Gog wrote:Would Saiyans technically be Humans?
That's a tricky question to answer.

To keep it short: Are they ningen? Yes. Are they humans as we typically use the word? No.

However, ningen undeniably translates to human, so in a sense, Saiyans are humans. There are contextual alternatives, the most common of which translating ningen as "mortal", but that's almost as imperfect, since it doesn't hold up when we're talking about mortal gods, and it's still confusing when referencing immortal gods. What ningen tends to refer to in Dragon Ball is intelligent (notably humanoid) life, but only life that is separate from Gods, but that's hardly succinct enough to use. There's no perfect answer here.

The whole thing is a confusing mess, but in the context of Dragon Ball, it's perfectly fair and correct to refer to them as humans.
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Gog wrote:Would Saiyans technically be Humans?
That's a tricky question to answer.

To keep it short: Are they ningen? Yes. Are they humans as we typically use the word? No.

However, ningen undeniably translates to human, so in a sense, Saiyans are humans. There are contextual alternatives, the most common of which translating ningen as "mortal", but that's almost as imperfect, since it doesn't hold up when we're talking about mortal gods, and it's still confusing when referencing immortal gods. What ningen tends to refer to in Dragon Ball is intelligent (notably humanoid) life, but only life that is separate from Gods, but that's hardly succinct enough to use. There's no perfect answer here.

The whole thing is a confusing mess, but in the context of Dragon Ball, it's perfectly fair and correct to refer to them as humans.
No, I meant would a Saiyan on a biological sense technically be a human?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:08 am

Gog wrote:No, I meant biologically humans.
I answered that too.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Are they humans as we typically use the word? No.
Although they have to be pretty close, since Saiyans can breed with Earthlings and whatnot.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:10 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Gog wrote:No, I meant biologically humans.
I answered that too.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Are they humans as we typically use the word? No.
Although they have to be pretty close, since Saiyans can breed with humans and whatnot.
I apologize, I actually missed that part.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:29 pm

In Bardock TV Special, Frieza succeeds in killing all the inhabited Saiyans in Planet Vegeta, but did he know most of them were there? I sometimes think the scene could be like Order 66 in ROTS with a fake message calling all the Saiyans back to their home world making things easier to Freeza kill them all.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Noah wrote:In Bardock TV Special, Frieza succeeds in killing all the inhabited Saiyans in Planet Vegeta, but did he know most of them were there? I sometimes think the scene could be like Order 66 in ROTS with a fake message calling all the Saiyans back to their home world making things easier to Freeza kill them all.
I'm almost 100 % certain Dragon Ball Minus showed Vegeta and Raditz hanging out and receiving an order to return to the planet, and Vegeta saying that they'd ignore it. That doesn't really answer the TV special question, but maybe it helps.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Alruneia wrote:
Noah wrote:In Bardock TV Special, Frieza succeeds in killing all the inhabited Saiyans in Planet Vegeta, but did he know most of them were there? I sometimes think the scene could be like Order 66 in ROTS with a fake message calling all the Saiyans back to their home world making things easier to Freeza kill them all.
I'm almost 100 % certain Dragon Ball Minus showed Vegeta and Raditz hanging out and receiving an order to return to the planet, and Vegeta saying that they'd ignore it. That doesn't really answer the TV special question, but maybe it helps.
That is correct. And I always imagined that to be the case, because really it made the most sense that way, but yeah in the TV special they were not given an order to return home, but at least we see Dodoria and co. attacking Bardock and his crew, so it would make sense, that they just sent out squads like that to kill all the other saiyans much like the aforementioned order 66.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:52 pm

So this is funny. I just saw a commercial for Dbz on Mexico's Canal 5 that said Goku was stronger than Superman. Dbz airs Monday's and Tuesday's at 8:30pm. They're also airing the FUNi Blu-rays(which sucks). Usually their Dbz commercials are kinda funny, like the one with Lalo Garza(krillin's Latin American VA) saying "Hi, this is krillin, and this is one thousand ways to die I mean Dbz. Don't miss it." and other stuff like that. Unlike Toonami's hardcore Dbz commercials. Anyway, the commercial basically said that an average human can lift so much weight(don't remember exactly how much) and the average Battle Power was 5 so they did the math using Goku's Battle Power of 180,000 from when he showed he's Kaio-ken to Ginyu and concluded that he is stronger than the "Man of Steel" because of this. Or something like that. I just saw it once before writing this post. I honestly thought this was funny. Canal 5 obviously knows how Dbz fans think. As it is clear with this commercial.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Danfun64 wrote:IMO, the Garlic Jr saga has to happen after Tree of Might (that's where Icarus is introduced) but Tree of Might has to happen after Goku returns from Yardrat (it's the only spot that chronologically makes sense)...however the Garlic Jr saga (which has Icarus in it) has to take place before Goku returns from Yardrat. To me this web of contradictions makes the whole "Krillin met Gohan in Movie 1 when he shouldn't have met him until Goku introduces him at Master Roshi's Island" thing look utterly tame in comparison.

The only way to let the Garlic Jr saga fit where it's supposed to is to remove all appearances of Icarus, and I don't know if that's possible.
The movies and the Garlic Jr are just filler.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:42 pm

True... but even so, it's interesting to try to force the movies and filler into the manga timeline and see if they can fit.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:53 pm

Danfun64 wrote:True... but even so, it's interesting to try to force the movies and filler into the manga timeline and see if they can fit.
I do consider some filler in the anime that I think it could fit in the manga, mostly training episodes and I think Movie 9 and 13 can fit too
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 pm

Does anybody think that Nicolas Cage is a good fit for Merged Zamasu?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm sorry, what? First of all, he has never done anime or even traditionally animated western cartoons. The closest thing is American made CGI cartoons, especially the Astro Boy movie. Secondly, I don't see either Funimation or Bang Zoom bringing him in just because you want him there.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:24 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I'm sorry, what? First of all, he has never done anime or even traditionally animated western cartoons. The closest thing is American made CGI cartoons, especially the Astro Boy movie. Secondly, I don't see either Funimation or Bang Zoom bringing him in just because you want him there.
I never said I wanted him there nor did I say there's any possible chance of him appearing in those types of shows, it's just a random thought that popped in my head.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Who do you think Samule L. Jackson could voice in DB?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:51 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Who do you think Samule L. Jackson could voice in DB?
Mr. Popo.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.