Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:21 am

Robo4900 wrote:
LowRyder2005 wrote:I actually abhor the DB wikia altogether as a credible source for any information, but I don't think they would be particular enough to fabricate a proper Japanese spelling out of thin air.

With that being said, there should also be better sources to eventually corroborate or disprove this.
Perhaps Herms, VegettoEX, or someone who's read the Japanese manga, or is intimately familiar with the Cell games portion of the anime can chime in?
ZTV on-the-spot announcer

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:20 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
LowRyder2005 wrote:I actually abhor the DB wikia altogether as a credible source for any information, but I don't think they would be particular enough to fabricate a proper Japanese spelling out of thin air.

With that being said, there should also be better sources to eventually corroborate or disprove this.
Perhaps Herms, VegettoEX, or someone who's read the Japanese manga, or is intimately familiar with the Cell games portion of the anime can chime in?
He's never, ever called "Jimmy Firecracker" in Japanese. It's purely a dub name. The DB wikia folks just whipped together a katakana spelling of the name, just to make it look more official or whatever.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:24 pm

Yeah it doesn't even sound remotely like a Toriyama or Toriyama-esque name. His names are usually puns, often of foods or drinks.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Herms wrote:He's never, ever called "Jimmy Firecracker" in Japanese. It's purely a dub name. The DB wikia folks just whipped together a katakana spelling of the name, just to make it look more official or whatever.
Thanks. I'd assumed it was a dub-ism, but with the DB Wiki saying that, and its infamous inconsistency, I really wasn't sure.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)
ABED wrote:Yeah it doesn't even sound remotely like a Toriyama or Toriyama-esque name. His names are usually puns, often of foods or drinks.
Yeah, definitely.
Carl Macek's style of changes are referred to as Macekres, so taking a page from that, I would call this a case of Sabatage.

Although I must admit, I love the stupidity of some middle-aged TV announcer being called "Jimmy Firecracker". :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:20 pm

This may be slightly off-topic, but Sony Pictures Television Networks is buying most of Funimation.

Sony will, should the deal close, have a 95% stake on Funi, and it seems that Gen Fukunaga will retain the remaining 5%.

Since Sony already co-owns Animax, this could lead to some interesting synergy.

And as an aside, while the movie side of Sony Pictures is in financial trouble (to the point that there's gossip about Sony possibly liquidating it), their TV division is still going strong, so I'd assume Funi is in good hands.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:40 am

MaskedRider wrote:I don't see Frost's creation being for fan service or nostalgia's sake. Anyone should be able to see that the tournament with Universe Six was demonstrating how the universes are mirrored with another and that the fighters for Universe Six was homages to the sagas of Z with the exception Hit being his unique self. (Cabba = Saiyan, Frost = Namek, Magetta = Android, Botamo = Boo)

BUT DAS JUST MY OPINION
I saw a theory about that a while ago and I think it could be valid and talking about Universe 6, it's a shame that they didn't introduce any new Namekian, I was expecting for that.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:07 am

I can't believe Kelloggs sponsored GT

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FATpqkp0rA

Nozawa voices Goku in a drastically different tone here than she does in Super. To those who say Goku isn't more childish in Super, this should hopefully prove you wrong. Be it because Nozawa has gotten worse, or it's a conscious decision on her part or on the director's part, Goku's tone now is much more enthusiastic and childish than back in the Boo and Cell arcs.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:24 am

Doctor. wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FATpqkp0rA

Nozawa voices Goku in a drastically different tone here than she does in Super. To those who say Goku isn't more childish in Super, this should hopefully prove you wrong. Be it because Nozawa has gotten worse, or it's a conscious decision on her part or on the director's part, Goku's tone now is much more enthusiastic and childish than back in the Boo and Cell arcs.
Her Black voice is amazing so she's most likely being childish with Goku because she's told to.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Everybody sounds different from their prime. Maybe Nozawa is more obvious due to her higher pitch, but I think there are much more differences between Horikawa's Vegeta in the shows. Or Nakao, who certainly lost a bit of edge he gave Freeza (though this arc he seems to have stepped up his game). I don't think it's really fair to single out Nozawa here. All those guys haven't been at their peak from before even Kai first started, not to mention Super.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:05 pm

I thought this was gonna be a link to something else from modern DB but this doesn't prove anything if it is from old Z series.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Draconic wrote:

Everybody sounds different from their prime. Maybe Nozawa is more obvious due to her higher pitch, but I think there are much more differences between Horikawa's Vegeta in the shows. Or Nakao, who certainly lost a bit of edge he gave Freeza (though this arc he seems to have stepped up his game). I don't think it's really fair to single out Nozawa here. All those guys haven't been at their peak from before even Kai first started, not to mention Super.
Exactly, both Horikawa and Nozawa have scratchier voices compared to their prime 90's selves. Just compare Kai with Super and they sound similar.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Where would I be able to find an archive of some sort of Toriyama's art. I'm looking specifically for his modern Dragon Ball art and I want to make sure I don't miss a piece.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 pm

So just re-watching some of the "Ultimate Tenkaichi" re-animated cut scenes and they look so much worse then I remember they're barely animated like the one of Goku going SS was in particular unintentionally hilarious lol. Hopefully no more newly animated stuff for video games between this and "Plan to Eradicate...".

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 am

Two years on the forum. That's pretty darn cool.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So just re-watching some of the "Ultimate Tenkaichi" re-animated cut scenes and they look so much worse then I remember they're barely animated like the one of Goku going SS was in particular unintentionally hilarious lol. Hopefully no more newly animated stuff for video games between this and "Plan to Eradicate...".
Madhouse did the cutscenes for that game, right?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:34 am

So, if Baba died got to keep her body, would she be able to only return herself to Earth or could she bring someone along too?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 pm

In the dub and Viz translation, Yakon should have been renamed "Kazam" or something.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Considering Freeza said he made forms up himself how come Frost has the exact same one's? Like that some massive coincidence, missed opportunity to get some different looking forms for Frost tbh.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Considering Freeza said he made forms up himself how come Frost has the exact same one's? Like that some massive coincidence, missed opportunity to get some different looking forms for Frost tbh.
Well, there are many potential reasons why Frost and Freeza have similar forms (there are many details between the two of them). In Universe aybe, it's tradition for a member of the Freeza race to create the suppression forms in a similar way? Maybe having those exact same forms are a sign of power, and status? Maybe, it's because Frost is a mutant like Freeza, and the mutants share similar Suppression forms? Maybe, the Freeza race on the whole are incapable of making Suppression forms that stray too far from what Freeza's look like?

Of course this is all head canon and fan speculation at the end of the day. But, it's fun to speculate about.