Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Noah wrote:I disagree as I believe SW can move on without the Skywalkers (KOTR is a good example) I think DB is also capable to move without Goku, there's not much world building on DB as there is on SW, that's a fact, but still a pretty interesting universe itself. It all depends in making characters that are appealing to the audience and good storylines.
I said that SW CAN, but I will still likely always have the most fondness and get the most enjoyment out of the original trilogy, and not merely out of nostalgia.

As for DB, I absolutely don't think DB can move on from Goku, especially at this point. I don't care that much about world building beyond what is neccessary for the story. There are a number of shows that lived on after their central characters left and while good stories were told, the series were never as good.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:00 pm

majinwarman wrote:They could make spin-off mangas about different universes that they have shown in Super. I think that would be a great way to have Dragon Ball without Goku.
Eh, but mangas don't draw much audience as a TV series, I think they could show us an OVA or TV Special about these different characters and if the fans like it maybe do a new series about it.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Noah wrote:
majinwarman wrote:They could make spin-off mangas about different universes that they have shown in Super. I think that would be a great way to have Dragon Ball without Goku.
Eh, but mangas don't draw much audience as a TV series, I think they could show us an OVA or TV Special about these different characters and if the fans like it maybe do a new series about it.
They should first start with a manga series then build your way up from there. That way they could see the market and learn if the fandom want this stuff.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:15 pm

majinwarman wrote:They should first start with a manga series then build your way up from there. That way they could see the market and learn if the fandom want this stuff.
I don't think so. Look at Super is not a series based on a manga, the anime came first, so I think they could do just fine with a TV Special or OVA first.
Last edited by Noah on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Noah wrote:
majinwarman wrote:They should first start with a manga series then build your way up from there. That way they could see the market and learn if the fandom want this stuff.
I don't think so. Look at Super is not a series based on a manga, the anime came first, so I think they could do just fine with doing TV Special or OVA first.
But, since Super is currently on air I don't know that would be wise to do that. I mean they even have a movie coming out next year. A manga series would be better in the short term.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:30 pm

Does anyone remember watching the (illegal) streaming of SUPER episode 67 and seemly all streams shutting down as Zen-O was about to erase all (alternative timeline) Universe 7? That was hilarious :lol:
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 am

So how the Super Dragon Balls are collected again? We see Champa and Vados destroying entire planets in order to find them, but these planets are inhabited? Or the SDBs camuflate themselves?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:21 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Does anyone remember watching the (illegal) streaming of SUPER episode 67 and seemly all streams shutting down as Zen-O was about to erase all (alternative timeline) Universe 7? That was hilarious :lol:
I sure do. The timing on that was fantastic.
Pretty crazy that that was a year ago now.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Was it known from the beginning that Jaco took place in the same universe as Dragon Ball, or was Goku showing up at the end sort of a plot twist?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:34 am

nickzambuto wrote:Was it known from the beginning that Jaco took place in the same universe as Dragon Ball, or was Goku showing up at the end sort of a plot twist?
It wasn't, but people speculated it to be the case as Toriyama was hinting at it with the chapter numbers being a countdown, where "DB" was included in them and the fact that the girl character was named Tights, which had some people thinking she could be related to Bulma.
And then there was also the matter of Jaco having to get rid of an alien that was heading towards Earth. I think it was Kei17 who was the first here to speculate that it might be about Goku's arrival on Earth.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:07 am

ABED wrote: I said that SW CAN, but I will still likely always have the most fondness and get the most enjoyment out of the original trilogy, and not merely out of nostalgia.

As for DB, I absolutely don't think DB can move on from Goku, especially at this point. I don't care that much about world building beyond what is neccessary for the story. There are a number of shows that lived on after their central characters left and while good stories were told, the series were never as good.
DB is never gonna move on from Goku, even tho it would help the series imo.

From what I know, Rian Johnson's trilogy is gonna have no Skywalkers, but that is in like 5-7 years, so lot's could change.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:02 am

dbgtFO wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Was it known from the beginning that Jaco took place in the same universe as Dragon Ball, or was Goku showing up at the end sort of a plot twist?
It wasn't, but people speculated it to be the case as Toriyama was hinting at it with the chapter numbers being a countdown, where "DB" was included in them and the fact that the girl character was named Tights, which had some people thinking she could be related to Bulma.
And then there was also the matter of Jaco having to get rid of an alien that was heading towards Earth. I think it was Kei17 who was the first here to speculate that it might be about Goku's arrival on Earth.
That's super cool.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:43 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
ABED wrote: I said that SW CAN, but I will still likely always have the most fondness and get the most enjoyment out of the original trilogy, and not merely out of nostalgia.

DB is never gonna move on from Goku, even tho it would help the series imo.

From what I know, Rian Johnson's trilogy is gonna have no Skywalkers, but that is in like 5-7 years, so lot's could change.
I don't think for a second that moving on from DB would help the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:27 am

Seriously, i'm not really a fan of the Star wars franchise but you all are making me seriously want to watch The Last Jedi :lol:
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:22 pm

You know what I would love to see in Super? A Christmas special. Do you guys agree? (i know Chiquita definitely does)
Caulifla best girl! :)

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:41 am

When did Capsule Corp stop being a complete dome? I remember when I was saw BOG, I thought that massive balcony was new. I was just re watching the Cell saga and it was completely round in those episodes.

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:05 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:DB is never gonna move on from Goku, even tho it would help the series imo.
They tried that once. Fans demanded Goku to come back.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:30 am

Vhanos wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:DB is never gonna move on from Goku, even tho it would help the series imo.
They tried that once. Fans demanded Goku to come back.
I'm pretty sure that's a myth. Toriyama stated that it was him who decided he didn't enjoy Gohan being in the protagonist role.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:46 pm

I love SSGSS. I would love to get art cards printed from the album and cover one side of the wall with them!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:26 pm

It'll never cease to amaze me that Shenron was voiced by the guy who did the voice for the World Martial Arts Tournament announcer. That's quite the range.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.