Official Favorite Characters Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Official Favorite Characters Thread

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Just what it sounds like. I saw there were quite a few inactive threads like this, so why not start a new one?

The "rules" are pretty simple (although this isn't technically a game):
  • List your top 5-10 favorite characters; no more, no less
    Give a brief description of why you like each character; no one-word descriptions
    Artwork is not required; only post it if someone asks who that character is, and put it in a spoiler tag
    You may post as much as you want if your favorites change suddenly
I'll start with mine:
  • 1. Frieza (Mecha) - Cold-blooded, ruthless villain who doesn't know when to quit; also generally awesome.
    2. Mira - Pretty good, non-generic personality; near obsession with being "the strongest"; good design.
    3. Pan (GT) - Good design, cute, and manages to put up with her grandpa.
    4. Cell (Perfect) - Also good design, and has one of the most useful traits (which is everyone else's in one).
    5. Videl (entry) - Initially, she has a nice personality; kind of the "never give up" type.
    6. Gine - I love her design, but I don't know what her personality is (haven't read DB Minus).
    7. Black Goku - He rivals Frieza's spot as second-best villain in the franchise IMO. His love of pain is amazing.
    8. Towa - She seems to know what she's doing most of the time, and knows when to retreat. Want to know more about her.
    9. Garlic Jr. - The best villain in the franchise. His plan (in the arc) was virtually unstoppable, and the only reason it wasn't was for plot.
Post away, and please try to keep them clean. :P
Last edited by Anime Kitten on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official Favorite Characters Thread

Post by Alee9977 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:47 pm

This may be a good idea, here goes my list :D :D :

1 - Gohan (DBZ) - I liked all of his designs (except GT and Super), his personality and that he is the strongest in DBZ.
2 - Vados - Very interesting character, love his voice and design.
3 - Future Trunks - I like his personality and how powerful he got in the Cell saga and Black Goku saga.
4 - Goku - Never surrenders, I like when he is serius and also I love how he can surpass his own limits.
5 - Bills - Funny character, he made me laugh a bunch of times and I really enjoyed the fight with Goku in the BoG arc in Super, also he is an interesting character.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:54 pm

Here are mine:

1, Yamcha - He has been my all-time favorite character for nearly ten years now, he's even my main character in Dragonball games and in non-DB games with character creation, such as Soul Calibur, WWE, The Sims, ETC.

2. Bulma - She has been my all-time favorite since I was a kid, I always looked up to Bulma, along with Misty from Pokemon when I was younger. She's still my favourite female.

3. Goku - My favorite saiyan, I especially enjoyed his adventures in the Boyhood arc

4. Tenshinhan - Another favorite earthling character, he, Yamcha and Chaozu are underrated in my eyes.

5. Chichi, another underrated character, It's understandable that she wants the best for her kids and doesn't want to see them killed.

6. Lunch, another underrated character, I wish she could return in Super

7. Kuririn - A loyal friend and Z-warrior

8. Chaozu - Another underated Z-warrior, I know he didn't get into much fights

9. Puar - Yamcha's lifelong best friend, their friendship is very underated

10. Gohan - I miss seeing him in Super, I grew up watching him in Z.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:25 am

1) Piccolo --- He's my favorite character in the entire series by a pretty long shot. He's one of the only few characters in the series that got great character development. He's wise, loyal, caring, brave, and his no nonsense attitude and often serious expressions in times of darkness is pretty cool. His overall personality reminds me of my own in some ways, which is why I sort of always gravitated towards since I started watching the series 20 plus years ago.

2) Tenshinhan --- Tien is a loyal, determined, and courageous fighter who always trains at his own pace and doesn't care how powerful his comrades become. His willingness to die in order to protect the ones he loves his truly admirable. Probably one of the most underrated and underappreciated characters in the series. I always liked Tien.

3) Bardock --- He's my favorite Saiyan character. I like his personality. He tried to take on Freeza and protect his entire RACE when he had visions on what would happen. He could have ran away and saved himself. I'll never forget the moment his best friend died at the hands of Freeza's men and he slowly rose and wore the bloodied bandana, then he came at his enemies with a VENGEANCE. I wish he and Goku met.

4) Future Trunks --- His upbringing and harsh reality is sad, yet his amazing kindness and peaceful attitude is admirable. He also gets the job done as a fighter, and gets straight to business. The way he took out 17 and 18 in his timeline was incredible. He takes his enemies out quick, and doesn't take any chances. His entrance into the series was also a classic when he took out Freeza and his father.

5) Tao Pai Pai --- A ruthless mercenary who didn't care about anybody. He was introduced as the first real challenge for Goku, and the way he killed General Blue with simply using his tongue was absolutely shocking. He's my favorite villain in the series next to Piccolo because of how cold he was. The way he killed Bora without a second thought was savage, and his first words when landing when he first met Goku in the English dub was "pleased to kill you".
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:28 am

Goku (minus Super) : He has a great personality especially when he's angry and never gives up no matter how bad things get and always finds a way to win and surpass his limits.

Vegeta : A prideful fighting genius who's been the only one keeping up with Goku

Piccolo : He's a great teacher and his sacrifice for Gohan and earth showed that he'd do anything for them.

Gohan (Z) : Has the most potential and is a total bad ass when forced into a corner.

Future Trunks : A strong minded character who doesn't make the same mistakes everyone else makes.

Freeza (manga) : The most terrifying and hardest villain to put down.

Beerus (BOG movie) : The strongest character in the franchise and one of the most entertaining ones.

Cell : His obsession with being perfect and the heroes being part of him.

Bulma : the smartest character in the story and has a great personality.

Fat Buu : What's there not to like ? he looks funny and talks funnier.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:09 pm

Gohan: My favorite character. I've always favored his growth over the course of Z and I consider him the main character of the series until the end of the Cell arc.

Goku: Whereas Gohan always changes designs, there's a consistency with Goku that I really like that extends to his characteristics and how he remains the same person through and through.

Krillin: His loyalty and dedication alongside his consistent usefulness easily makes him one of the franchise's best characters in my view and explains why I favor him.

Piccolo: I loved his friendship with Gohan changing him and just how he kept on finding ways to remain involved even if he couldn't' keep up.

Android 18: My favorite android. She's pretty much the only female villain in the entirety to Z and has some nice techniques with 17 in most of the games. The way she just didn't care about killing Goku served as such a contrast to 16 and in my opinion made it perfectly acceptable that she would eventually cease being an antagonist.

Vegeta: He would be higher if it weren't for how he went from getting little focus in GT to just about being overused as I've viewed his role in Super. I've always liked that he was motivated to keep training even if he wasn't ever the one who outright defeated the main villain of a given saga.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:52 am

Can't believe the thread died already... Well, I'm resurrecting it with the Dragon Balls!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
MyAnimeList | AniList

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:13 am

Goku: I like how he strives to be the strongest and how he loves to fight. His character never gets old to me. I love his antics as a child the most.

Master Roshi: A funny character that has his fair share of serious moments as Jackie Chun. Was kind of sad to see him deteriorate to an almost 1 note character in Z.

Tao Pai Pai: Probably my favorite villian in the series. I love how badly he beat Goku in the first fight, and although he got rekt in the second fight it was well animated at least. I also found his return in the 23rd Budokai funny because of how pathetic he was compared to everybody else.

Freeza: He ruthless and cold blooded, and the way he goes out on Namek and his eventual downfall on Earth is very entertaining to watch.

Gohan: He's pretty smart, and really only fights when he has to. I found it nice that he accomplished his childhood dream, even if he didn't have to necessarily give up fighting completely.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:26 am

Anime Kitten wrote:Can't believe the thread died already... Well, I'm resurrecting it with the Dragon Balls!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
People barely responded to it too. You would think on a forum where we're all divided on who we like that this wouldn't be an issue.

samuo2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuo2 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:27 am

Anime Kitten wrote:Can't believe the thread died already... Well, I'm resurrecting it with the Dragon Balls!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Your wish has been granted.

(basis tale)
1) Frieza. The emperor of evil. Despotic dictator, the under arm's pink pink pink, in the head sick, sick, sick, swimming vehicule, fighting power 530 thousand FRIEZA FR... *hum* Anyway, good design, my favorite is the final form, has no mercy and the seiyuu is just awesome, the keigo he employes is wonderful.

2) Gohan. Like his badass moments as much as his evolution. Minus Super,he always has a good treatment with good comprehension of his values and motivations.

3) Miraï Trunks. The incarnate of the badass. The most heroïc character of DB, while all other just wants to be the stronger, fight powerful vilains, by passing their interests before, Trunks just dreams about a peaceful world. Has respect for eachother, and pretty badass at fighting.

And I hadn't this much favorite characters during Z-era, but with Super's arcs, they are some characters which has potential for the futur like:

4) Kyabbe: Love the potential master/pupil relation with Vegeta, we saw (a bit) in the manga and the anime that he can be an technical and ingenious warrior.

5) Pan: So kawaï, first female saiyan, and the Gohan's daughter ("Piccoyo <3" )

6) Liked Gotenks in the past, a good comic relief, and his exuberants attacks were hilarous. Well-done that Toriyama gaves to a such irritating character so much power!

7) Janemba: Incarnate evil, not very smart but impressive during fight, interesting attacks, and love his design (thanks Yamamuro <3)

8) Tapion: Yes, I love swordman. His design is just incredible, I have no words to describe how much he's charismatic. And the Ocarina songs does the tricks.
English isn't my native Language, please be understanding with faults and other grammatical mistakes, and don't hesitate to correct me !

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:09 pm

1. Beerus. His ambiguous characteristics has been fantastically handled, but even beyond that, he's just a brilliantly well rounded character. His design is fantastic and both his English and Japanese VA's are perfect. But the truly beautiful thing about his character is that there is still so much more than can be done with him. Not to mention his the first God in the Dragon Ball to actually have a genuinely Omnipotent significance on the structure of the universe.

2. Goku. But a very close second, though. I fell in love with the franchise originally because of Goku's character. He is just the embodiment of everything I love about Dragon Ball.

3. Vegeta. The best developed character the franchise had produced and created the mold for anti-heroic characters in shonen manga and anime.

4. Piccolo. The balancing of his aloof and distant nature and caring loving side are so wonderfully handled. He's the perfect uncle.

5. Future Trunks. Best backstory of any Dragon Ball character, along with being the most handsome. Also, sword users FTW! 8)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Vegeta created the mold for anti-heroic characters in shonen manga and anime.
He did ? so there weren't any before him or were they just not popular and/or well written ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:53 pm

Would it be strange if I preferred the characters' depiction in games? I'm into Super Dragon Ball Z, and I've got some favourites:

1. Chi-Chi - she was made a fighter through the Nimbus cloud, the red staff, and Mount Frypan's fan. These items were accessible to her in the universe of Dragon Ball.
2. Mecha Freeza - he had some upgrades like the cannon and grenades attached to his belt and/or tail. He wasn't cluttered enough with just the manga/anime look.
3. Ultimate Gohan - he gets to wear the Kaioshin outfit and fight with a sword, which help the newly gained skills and unlocked potential in Kaioshin's world.
4. Piccolo Daimao - he capitalizes on his ability to grow bigger, and to stretch his limbs as something possible, while looking cool with his symbol.
5. Future Trunks - he has a laser/Ki sword through technology that fits Capsule Corp's design, but he doesn't treat it like a toy.

These are basically the characters that got to use some custom items for coolness. It may seem like a shallow reason, but I'm not in the mood to analyze their personality.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:53 pm

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Vegeta created the mold for anti-heroic characters in shonen manga and anime.
He did ? so there weren't any before him or were they just not popular and/or well written ?
I should have been more specific. I meant modern shonen anime and manga. Like shonen anime and manga for the last 30 years.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:10 am

1) Son Gokuu - Inspirational character. Nozawa being another reason cause she made him even more loveable. I just never liked any other character as much as i love Gokuu. He is DRAGON BALL.

2) Piccolo - Best written character in DB. While DB doesn't have deep characters Piccolo is close to what i call a deep character. Also his design depicts pure awesomeness.

3) Freeza - Best villain in the franchise. Ryuusei Nakao was born to play Freeza and his performance made me fall in love with this tyrant even more. The highlight of his character to me is that maniacal and diabolical laugh. It gives me chills everytime.

4) Tenshinhan - A total badass. The guy with the most unique and amazing techniques. His character arc is one of my favorite things in the entire series. That SHIN KIKOHO moment was brilliant.

5)Muten Roshi - One of the funniest character in DB. His perverted moments are priceless. The training he gave to Gokuu and Kuririn is the best training sequence in the entire series. The late great Kohei Miyauchi nailed the character.

- Travis

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:22 am

1. Son Goku - He was and will continue to be my favorite character. I love his personality and the fact that he's a fighting genius. His growth as a character may not be groundbreaking, but it's subtle and definitely noticable.

2. Vegeta - Yah yah, I went for the typical top 2 choices, but I have to stay true to myself. Vegeta is probably the most developed character in the series. I like his personality both when he was a villain and a hero.

3. Muten Roshi - The true OG. Everything about him is enjoyable. His perverted antics, wisdom, and mentorship is wonderfully executed. He would have ranked #2 if he had relevancy in Z, but sadly he does not.

4. Piccolo - The first big baddie that turned into a ally. Total stoic badass. Both versions of his character are enjoyable, and his development during the Saiyan arc was shocking and touching.

5. Beerus - I thought long and hard about this, but I think Beerus has finally cracked the top 5 for me. He and Whis are the best things to happen to modern Dragon Ball. Beerus's neutrality is what makes him great, in my opinion.

6. Son Gohan - Pretty much the only "normal" character in the series. Unlike most people, I really enjoy his highschool antics and am happy with the way he has turned out. The recent Trunks and Gohan episode was something this series really needed.

7. Tenshinhan - The martial arts prodigy of the Crane School. His development and redemption during the tournament arcs were amazing. I love just about every technique and fight he has been in.

8. Freeza - The first villain on the list is also my favorite. His polite yet scary personality sets him apart from every other villain. His breakdowns are a thing to behold.

9. Bulma - Her personality always gets me. A brilliant, but also flirty, woman. She tries to do whatever she can in order to get what she wants, even if it requires a little seduction. I like how she can remain relevant even though she's a non-fighter because of her inventions and genius mind.

10. Mr. Satan - I used to hate him as a kid, but now he's one of my favorite characters. He's just so funny and stupid. It amuses me that the people of Earth still believe that he's the strongest despite the sheer obviousness of his lies.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:29 pm

I already listed my top 5, but Beerus I think is catching up very quickly to my 5 spot...
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Added my 6th-9th favorites to the opening post, also bumping the thread before it dies again (sticky would be nice).
MyAnimeList | AniList

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:12 pm

1: Gohan. I like that he isn't obsessed with fighting and getting stronger but is still able to sacrifice years of his life for the protection of others. Unlike a lot of people, boo saga is by far my favorite version of him. I loved his HS antics, saiyaman was actually a great costume when he took off the helmet, his confidence, just everything really. Ultimate Gohan is the best design in dbz imo.
2: Future trunks. I like how no nonsense he is and his sword. Plus an awesome back story.
3 Vegeta: I actually didn't like him that much in DBZ but super has made me respect the character now. I think he's at his best regardless of what some fans say.
4: Tien: Assassin background and I loved his rivalry with goku. Plus he still keeps up his training which is fucking impressive.
5 krillin: Lil dude was always there even though he was hopelessly outclassed. Good comedy relief too. I wish he was closer to Goku in dragonBall power level wise.
Honorary spot : Hit. Need to see more of him but hd has potential to be my favorite now
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:48 pm

(Please excuse me, I couldn't keep beyond the 10-character limit)

Goku - one of the most unique characters I have ever come across: a lovable goofball (can't call him an idiot, he was raised without proper education) who happens to be one of the most badass fighters in all anime.

Krillin - a lovable coward, but when it comes down to it he wields the Destructo Disk and can kick ass on his own level.

Lunch - a schizo who's both sweet and tough.

Master Roshi - a mighty sensei, and a pervert!

Piccolo - An alien demon who gains affection and becomes an ally to Gohan and his friends.

Shenron - the almighty Dragon of the Saga.

Nappa - A brief but very awesome Saiyan, who's both funny and brutal.

Vegeta - One of anime's greatest anti-heroes; arrogant and tragic and honorable.

Tarble - An underrated character who has potential for his own tale.

Future Trunks - A true badass hero.

Future Mai - A previous comedic villain, she got upgraded into a badass fighter.

Frieza - A menacing and sadistic villain.

Captain Ginyu - A villain who can swap minds, and dance!

Android 18 - A fearsome fighter who broke Vegeta's arm, and then later became Krillin's wife.

Arale Norimaki - Actually the hero of her own show, but she is pretty awesome too.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.