If Super Looked More like Z...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dario03
Advanced Regular

Re: If Super Looked More like Z...

Post by dario03 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:04 pm

I don't know...those backgrounds look like Z 8)

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:09 pm

dario03 wrote:I don't know...those backgrounds look like Z 8)
Because those backgrounds ARE from Z

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed May 24, 2017 1:29 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:SalvaMakoto has done it again!

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
If Super looked anything like this I would probably drop the show because I would go blind.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 24, 2017 2:21 am

I mean... Ugh...

We have good references for accurate colors now more than ever. Kai 1.0 is a perfect color reference for that era, and Funimation's Blu-rays for the Boo Arc are a pretty decent reference for the correct colors of that era! Why is this still happening even?

Honestly, if he's going through all this trouble, it would be the easiest thing in the world to take a second glance at the old material and realize that the pictures aren't supposed to literally make your screen bleed.
Retired.

Godszgift

Post by Godszgift » Thu May 25, 2017 11:37 am

Looks cool but it's weird too. Remember not only is the coloring different but the whole animation style is as well, so it does look more jarring than the original dbz

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu May 25, 2017 3:43 pm

I've always been a big Super apologist... but man, the images on the first page really made me wistful about the old style. There was something inherently tangible about them... it's hard to explain--it's like they're more organic--the slight grain and hand-drawn nature really put a lot of life into cartoons in the 80's/90's. Now everything looks like a Flash animation. Not to mention, most of the time characters look on-model in modern animation--why does it look weird when they look how they're supposed to? Gah, I'm torn.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:32 pm

This guy's out of his mind. Those colors are way worse than the Orange Bricks, since he seemed to have looked for whatever episode looked the worst in and just copied that (and made it worse. What the hell is with the blue tint?)

I've already made an image of what Super would have looked like if it adhered to Z's designs and palette last year:
Here's the original:

Here's my correction:

If you want to take it even further with outright the same colors as Z (or Kai), including the grain, then here's this:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:10 am

simtek34 wrote:
dario03 wrote:I don't know...those backgrounds look like Z 8)
Because those backgrounds ARE from Z
See, just like I said.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri May 26, 2017 10:01 am

Metalwario64 wrote:This guy's out of his mind. Those colors are way worse than the Orange Bricks, since he seemed to have looked for whatever episode looked the worst in and just copied that (and made it worse. What the hell is with the blue tint?)

I've already made an image of what Super would have looked like if it adhered to Z's designs and palette last year:
Here's the original:

Here's my correction:

If you want to take it even further with outright the same colors as Z (or Kai), including the grain, then here's this:

Now THAT'S how I would like Super to look.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 am

Metalwario64 wrote:[spoiler]This guy's out of his mind. Those colors are way worse than the Orange Bricks, since he seemed to have looked for whatever episode looked the worst in and just copied that (and made it worse. What the hell is with the blue tint?)

Here's the original:

Here's my correction:

Image[/spoiler]
This looks fantastic!

Personally I really like the new filter Super has but I'd kill for it look like this. I miss the old Gi color
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Fri May 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Not really a fan of those pictures, especially Hit's as the colors look absolutely awful.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri May 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:[spoiler]If you want to take it even further with outright the same colors as Z (or Kai), including the grain, then here's this:
Image[/spoiler]
As others have said, this looks very good. Only minor gripe I personally see is with the hair colour as it looks barely any different to the previous edit, which to me, really makes it stand out as a modern trait rather than a pallet choice that "classic" Toei might've gone with. I get the feeling they would've used a lighter shade instead or maybe just something more muted, I'm not exactly sure yet. That being said, the shading also seems partially to blame for retaining the modern look since it has three points of shade, which, if memory serves, was typically only reserved for in-aura Super Saiyans (although there were exceptions in movies and the odd high budget scene).

I made a quick attempt in Photoshop to better illustrate what I was thinking. Again, I think the shading is most likely the main issue that detracts from the classic look but overall I think a slightly lighter shade helps keep it feel more in line with classic Super Saiyan hair pallets. That's just my personal opinion though.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:34 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:[spoiler]If you want to take it even further with outright the same colors as Z (or Kai), including the grain, then here's this:
Image[/spoiler]
As others have said, this looks very good. Only minor gripe I personally see is with the hair colour as it looks barely any different to the previous edit, which to me, really makes it stand out as a modern trait rather than a pallet choice that "classic" Toei might've gone with. I get the feeling they would've used a lighter shade instead or maybe just something more muted, I'm not exactly sure yet. That being said, the shading also seems partially to blame for retaining the modern look since it has three points of shade, which, if memory serves, was typically only reserved for in-aura Super Saiyans (although there were exceptions in movies and the odd high budget scene).

I made a quick attempt in Photoshop to better illustrate what I was thinking. Again, I think the shading is most likely the main issue that detracts from the classic look but overall I think a slightly lighter shade helps keep it feel more in line with classic Super Saiyan hair pallets. That's just my personal opinion though.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The reason I didn't mess with the hair is because that form didn't exist back then, and I'd just be guessing as to what it would look like.

I can certainly make it match the lightness of Z's Super Saiyan hair without the aura if you want:

I also made sure I used the exact colors for the rest of the image from Kai for this one by selecting each color and overlaying it as a color layer in GIMP. Last time I eyeballed it.

Also, at first there were only 2 shades, but by the Buu arc, every animator was using two shades for Super Saiyan hair without the glow.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash