Rarest Dragon Ball dubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Rarest Dragon Ball dubs

Post by Vorige Waffe » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Tian wrote:I read once in Behind The Voice Actors that there's another less-known english dub for Dragon Ball produced by a company called Frontier Entreprises. the only way to confirm such dub was one of the voice actors' LinkedIn but sadly, it's not longer online.

Source - http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/for ... hp?p=97934
I've heard of that one too. I forget the actors name, but I saw that Linkedin post. If I only remembered his name, I'd post a demo reel he had on Youtube. It didn't have any Dragon Ball stuff in it iirc, but the guy is American actor that works (worked?) in doing English language voice overs and presentations in Asia.

And for those unaware, Frontier Enterprises was a dubbing outfit in Japan that mainly dubbed stuff for studios like Toho, so I presume they did projects like dubbing Godzilla movies and such. As far as anime goes, they were the outfit behind the original 1979 dub for Lupin III: Mystery of Mamo that was shown on overseas flights to Japan and sci-fi cons in the early 1980s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjz9p2IoaV8&t=5m20s

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Vorige Waffe wrote:
Tian wrote:I read once in Behind The Voice Actors that there's another less-known english dub for Dragon Ball produced by a company called Frontier Entreprises. the only way to confirm such dub was one of the voice actors' LinkedIn but sadly, it's not longer online.

I've heard of that one too. I forget the actors name, but I saw that Linkedin post. If I only remembered his name, I'd post a demo reel he had on Youtube. It didn't have any Dragon Ball stuff in it iirc, but the guy is American actor that works (worked?) in doing English language voice overs and presentations in Asia.

And for those unaware, Frontier Enterprises was a dubbing outfit in Japan that mainly dubbed stuff for studios like Toho, so I presume they did projects like dubbing Godzilla movies and such. As far as anime goes, they were the outfit behind the original 1979 dub for Lupin III: Mystery of Mamo that was shown on overseas flights to Japan and sci-fi cons in the early 1980s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjz9p2IoaV8&t=5m20s
I remember the actor was called Richard Nieskens (also known as Dick Nieskens).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:39 am

Bansho64 wrote:Which Dragon Ball dubs do you find hard to come by? The ones that take a LOT of searching to find. I've become interested in the different versions of the series in the last year or so and it's really hard to find particular ones. Like the Korean dubs or some of the different Brazilian ones. Especially the Korean dub(s). I heard there were different Italian dubs as well. I also heard their was a Canadian-French dub based on the Ocean dub for the Saiyan-Namek arcs. Apparently, it was aired on Teletoon.

Canadian french dub? Color me interested.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:24 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:Another i've been trying to find is the Hindi dub for Tree of Might, just because i'm curious whether or not they used the rescored Saban edit like with the TV series.
I'm pretty sure it would be based off the uncut home release since Dead Zone and World's Strongest are also the same.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:50 am

I've heard the Turkish dub is terrible but I can't find it anywhere.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:55 am

Gonstead wrote:
Kakacarrottop wrote:Another i've been trying to find is the Hindi dub for Tree of Might, just because i'm curious whether or not they used the rescored Saban edit like with the TV series.
I'm pretty sure it would be based off the uncut home release since Dead Zone and World's Strongest are also the same.
Remember that Toonami made edited versions of the uncut Dead Zone and World's Strongest dubs (Rock the Dragon opening and closing, but Kikuchi OST intact) and used the Saban dub for Tree of Might. These same versions are the ones used in the Rock the Dragon DVD set.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:37 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I've heard the Turkish dub is terrible but I can't find it anywhere.
There are clips of that dub in Youtube :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uSuqOz6cc ... e=youtu.be
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... qk-60lpGmM

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Tian wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I've heard the Turkish dub is terrible but I can't find it anywhere.
There are clips of that dub in Youtube :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uSuqOz6cc ... e=youtu.be
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... qk-60lpGmM
Woof. That was rough on the ears. It sounds like everyone is shouting instead of talking.

Dietman

Post by Dietman » Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 am

Tian wrote: "I remember the actor was called Richard Nieskens (also known as Dick Nieskens)."

I found these links:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1972164/
https://vantagepointinterviews.com/tag/dick-nieskens/

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:28 am

I'm sorry, but bumping a year old thread to mention stuff that can probably be googled easily (especially that imdb link) probably isn't the best first impression you could have made here, but regardless, welcome!
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 24, 2017 2:26 am

In what language?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed May 24, 2017 6:22 am

sangofe wrote:

In what language?
English. it was apparently recorded in Tokyo.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Tian wrote:
sangofe wrote:

In what language?
Huh, that's super weird.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:00 pm

sangofe wrote:
Tian wrote:
sangofe wrote:
In what language?
Huh, that's super weird.
Frontier Enterprises used American actors based in Japan. The dubs were produced for export, sometimes for international airline flights.

Most of their output was mediocre at best. Their only memorable work was that really old dub of Lupin III: Mystery of Mamo from the late 1970's: sample.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:14 pm

DrBriefsCat wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Tian wrote:
Huh, that's super weird.
Frontier Enterprises used American actors based in Japan. The dubs were produced for export, sometimes for international airline flights.

Most of their output was mediocre at best. Their only memorable work was that really old dub of Lupin III: Mystery of Mamo from the late 1970's: sample.
And how much of Dragon Ball was dubbed?

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Don't know. I'm surprised they were still active in the early '90s.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:03 pm

An English dub recorded in Japan? That's as odd as an English dub recorded in France.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:12 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
Remember that Toonami made edited versions of the uncut Dead Zone and World's Strongest dubs (Rock the Dragon opening and closing, but Kikuchi OST intact) and used the Saban dub for Tree of Might. These same versions are the ones used in the Rock the Dragon DVD set.
Better late than never considering this topic got revived.

I checked my copies of the Hindi dub for M1 and M2 and it looks like they are indeed the edited versions. They don't have the openings but they do both end with Rock the Dragon (M1 uses the uncut version dubbed into Hindi that they also used for the series while M2 simply uses the shortened end credits version overlayed over the sped up movie footage with unedited English credits).

So there definitely could be a chance that a Hindi dub version of the Saban Tree of Might exists. If it does, it'll be a bugger to track down especially since I'm pretty sure I remember I was lucky enough to even find the first two movies in Hindi.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:03 pm

sangofe wrote:And how much of Dragon Ball was dubbed?
Likely very little. Frontier only dubbed movies. The source of a Dragon Ball production from them came via Dick Nisekens. In an interview, he said he worked with the company before 1988, which only leaves the first four Dragon Ball films as possibilities.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:54 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
sangofe wrote:And how much of Dragon Ball was dubbed?
Likely very little. Frontier only dubbed movies. The source of a Dragon Ball production from them came via Dick Nisekens. In an interview, he said he worked with the company before 1988, which only leaves the first four Dragon Ball films as possibilities.
I'm currently wondering whether this Frontier thing is the same as the rumoured Animax Asia or Animaze dub. Both seem to be fairly unheard of and both are English dubs recorded in Asia.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu