Rarest Dragon Ball dubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Rarest Dragon Ball dubs

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Which Dragon Ball dubs do you find hard to come by? The ones that take a LOT of searching to find. I've become interested in the different versions of the series in the last year or so and it's really hard to find particular ones. Like the Korean dubs or some of the different Brazilian ones. Especially the Korean dub(s). I heard there were different Italian dubs as well. I also heard their was a Canadian-French dub based on the Ocean dub for the Saiyan-Namek arcs. Apparently, it was aired on Teletoon.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Rarest Dragon Ball dubs

Post by Darknat » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Valencian dub from Spain is one that is difficult to find since it doesn't have official release. Some people managed to get every episode on tape and uploaded them on the net, but as of today, no official release I'm aware of.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:44 pm

My "holy grail" would be the Big Green dub for the GT special. Someone here has mentioned numerous times it exists, yet no one seemed to tape it back when it first aired.

Another i've been trying to find is the Hindi dub for Tree of Might, just because i'm curious whether or not they used the rescored Saban edit like with the TV series.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Bansho64 wrote:I also heard their was a Canadian-French dub based on the Ocean dub for the Saiyan-Namek arcs. Apparently, it was aired on Teletoon.
Really? I'd be interested in hearing that: this is the first time I've ever read anything about a Canadian French dub.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:22 pm

On the one hand a canadian french version of the saban dub would be less accurate than the french script. On the other it would be a lot more comprehensible, naming things France refused to name until Kai, showing scenes that AB Groupe completely removed, again with some of them not being shown until Kai.

As for the English side of things, its very difficult to find NEPs and to a lesser extent recaps for the original inhouse Funi dub, there is Speedy and Big Green content that is hard to find, the Phillipine English dub is mostly nonexistant, an alleged Animax dub is completely nonexistant.

Not sure how rare the Mexican dub is, but the fact that whoever owns the rights refuses to release a consistent and complete dvd release raises some eyebrows.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Its due to rampant piracy... And the fact that its so popular it has never really been off the air long enough to call for a DVD release. I do agree that its insanely infuriating.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:02 pm

Personally, I think a cheap but high quality release would shrink the amount of piracy. I'm pretty sure a large percentage of the Mexican dub pirates would be more then happy to replace their illegal copies with legal ones...unless the legal releases lack NEPs, in which both legal and illegal dvds will be kept

edit: Also forgot about the Harmony Gold dub in the original post, which is very rare...that being said, the fact that we have the movie 1-movie 3 double features, episodes of Zero Y El Dragon Magico, and the fact that the script for at least Movie 1 is reused by Funimation shows that its not completely nonexistant... not to mention that *ahem* private collectors people like Kei17 have at least part of the first episode of the HG dub in english.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:29 am

Bansho64 wrote:Which Dragon Ball dubs do you find hard to come by? The ones that take a LOT of searching to find. I've become interested in the different versions of the series in the last year or so and it's really hard to find particular ones. Like the Korean dubs or some of the different Brazilian ones. Especially the Korean dub(s). I heard there were different Italian dubs as well. I also heard their was a Canadian-French dub based on the Ocean dub for the Saiyan-Namek arcs. Apparently, it was aired on Teletoon.
About the korean dubs, there are two different dubs for the original series and most movies(one did for the Champ TV channel, and the other did for Tooniverse TV Channel), but you can find some scenes of both of them in Youtube and internet. They are not that easy to find, but it's not impossible to encounter actually. Here some links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DfJX5Ow3DU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLoftfPsjyQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdDE3gk_rQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVtOmZAhYNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7CLAddBnAM

---------------

About the brazilian dubs...

- The original Dragon Ball had actually 4 dubs for the series, and 2 dubs for the 3 first movies.
For the TV series, the first dub covered only the first 60 episodes, and was broadcasted on SBT in 1996, and was never completed(they jumped directly to Z, in 1999). In 2001/2002, after Z had been completely dubbed and broadcasted in Brazil, they redubbed the original Dragon Ball to air in Globo, with Z cast, and not the one from the 1996 dub. In 2006, for Cartoon Network broadcast, they redubbed the original Dragon Ball again, with Z cast too. In 2011, with the same cast again, they redubbed a few episodes to DVD release.
For the movies, the first three were released in VHS in 1999, with a different cast of Z, and of the 1996(excepting for Krillin and Tien's actors, that are the same that worked on Z), and in 2006, they were redubbed again to air in Cartoon Network, with the entire Z/GT and 2002/2006 dubs' cast.

- Z had only one dub did in 1999 until 2001 for the TV series, and for most of the movies too, excepting for Trunks and Bardock specials, and Tree of Might(those movies were dubbed one time for theatrical/home-vídeo releases, and other for TV releases).

- GT also had only one brazilian dub too. There is a rumor about an unrealeased brazilian dub of GT special, but it's not confirmed.

About brazilian dubs, that is not much more to know. Well... I can bring some videos of the rarest ones later if I encounter, but it's not so hard to find most of the brazilian dubs in general.

----------------

About a canadian-french dub based on the ocean dub I never heard. And about italian dubs, there are two actually too... I mean, the TV series had only one, broadcasted by the Mediaset channel. But the movies were released twice in Italy. One time for the Dynit Group, and other for Mediaset(with the dubbing cast that worked in the TV series).

Also, I think there are some other really rare dubs too, for example:

* The original Thai dub, broadcasted in the Modernine TV channel. When you search for the thai dub in Youtube, you can only encounter videos of the DEX/remastered dub that was did before, at least in 95% of the cases.
* The tagalog/filipino dubs. Damn! Those are really rare! Very difficult to encounter on internet.
* The original Malay dub. Not the malaysian english one, but the original malay dub, did for the TV series in malay language.
* The indonesian dubs. Only some low quality videos are in internet. They included dubbed Kai very soon(Indonesia was the third country to air Kai).
* Big Green/AB Group dub english dub for the first 3 DB movies, and GT special.
* The english dub of the original Dragon Ball produced in Hong-Kong for Animax Asia. That one is really hard to find too.
* Some of the most recent dubs, like the croatian, serbian or russian versions. I only encountered a few videos of them. They were not did covering the entire Z series, only until Frieza Saga's end.
* The second taiwanese mandarin dub for Z. There are two taiwanese dubs for Z. The second one has an unknown cast and it's more rare to find the other.
* The mandarin dub did in mainland Chinese for the original Dragon Ball. It is funny that was broadcasted in South Africa with english subs.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:43 am

Darknat wrote:Valencian dub from Spain is one that is difficult to find since it doesn't have official release. Some people managed to get every episode on tape and uploaded them on the net, but as of today, no official release I'm aware of.
The valencian dub has some videos on Youtube, at least from the Saiyan and Freeza Sagas. From the Cell and Buu Sagas it's more rare to find.

But talking about dubs from Spain, the basque and galician ones are more rare to encounter than the valencian one.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:50 am

SaintEvolution wrote:
Darknat wrote:Valencian dub from Spain is one that is difficult to find since it doesn't have official release. Some people managed to get every episode on tape and uploaded them on the net, but as of today, no official release I'm aware of.
The valencian dub has some videos on Youtube, at least from the Saiyan and Freeza Sagas. From the Cell and Buu Sagas it's more rare to find.

But talking about dubs from Spain, the basque and galician ones are more rare to encounter than the valencian one.
There are torrents out there with the complete valencian dub for sure. Don't ask where, since I don't have this dub, but I'm sure they exist.

Basque and galician have been officially released by Selecta Vision on DVD so they are quite easy to get:
http://www.selecta-vision.com/Home-Ente ... -descuento

400€ gives you every spanish dub except Valencian.

Valencian is a bit special since it is an unfinished dub. Parents pressure regarding the violence of the show let this dub die in the Buu Saga, and as said, no official release has been done about it. However, a lot of people had it on tape and they did an online release.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:58 am

Bansho64 wrote:I also heard their was a Canadian-French dub based on the Ocean dub for the Saiyan-Namek arcs. Apparently, it was aired on Teletoon.
Did it run concurrently with AB Groupe's from France? I only remember the European one airing on French-Canadian TV.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Wezenheim wrote:If the French DBZ Wikipedia page is to be believed, the series was brought to France in December of 1990, which was before the English dub (1995 initially, didn't start getting the entire series on Toonami until 1998).

Edit: here is a link to the Wikipedia page, if you want to take a look for yourself. I can't speak or read French very much, but Google translate didn't look too far off from what little I could actually understand. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z
I can't think of anything else to say that can't be said here...
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:47 pm

from what i know only one french dub exist, canadian dub are in english if my informations are correct.... never seen sample of this french dub

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:13 pm

The rarest dub? I think the Macedonian dub of Dragon Ball Z because you can't find it anywhere except for a short clip on YouTube :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HsxMbqJUJVc

I don't know how it lasted but I'm sure it's one of the few dubs where adult Goku was voiced by a woman.

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:38 pm

I really would like to see ANY of Filipino/South East Asian dubs of anything Dragon Ball. Off the top of my head, there's the original SE dub (possibly by Creative Products Corp.) of Dragon Ball and the first hundred or so episodes of Z that eventually switched over to complete Tagalog (from what I've been told), there's the Animax dub of Dragon Ball that has a cast list on places like IMDb (with Animax stalwart Andrea Kwan listed as voicing Goku) that only has preserved one portion of it on a demo reel for actor Russel Wait (who played General Blue), there's the Creative Products Corp dub of movies 5 and 6 which STILL only exists as an unwatchable Real Media file... and then there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZfPulNM3Ek
Kakacarrottop wrote:My "holy grail" would be the Big Green dub for the GT special. Someone here has mentioned numerous times it exists, yet no one seemed to tape it back when it first aired.
The Toonami UK commercial for it was uploaded on Youtube this year, so it definitely aired on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-9IpbbYTfs

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:53 pm

Oh, crap :oops: Sorry guys. I should've explained where I got that from. I had read that there was another French dub from a really old post on another website. I can barely remember it so it's probably not true. I don't know why I put that in my post. Sorry guys :oops:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Oh, crap :oops: Sorry guys. I should've explained where I got that from. I had read that there was another French dub from a really old post on another website. I can barely remember it so it's probably not true. I don't know why I put that in my post. Sorry guys :oops:
Some shows like The Simpsons and Transformers G1 had their Quebec dubs but Dragon Ball? I think it's false and the show was aired in the same way it did in Belgium : French AB dub.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:34 pm

If the rumours about the Ocean dub of Kai being broadcast somewhere Lee Tockar heard were true I think that would qualify as a rare, seen as how nothing concrete has surfaced about the dub other than vague pieces of information from people involved. I will rejoice the day, if ever, that this dub does become available to watch.

Otherwise, there is the Harmony Gold episodes of Dragon Ball, which if you want to see your pretty much screwed if you missed the episodes when they allegedly aired.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:52 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Otherwise, there is the Harmony Gold episodes of Dragon Ball, which if you want to see your pretty much screwed if you missed the episodes when they allegedly aired.
The Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball movies 1 and 3 have recently been found in their entirety, and you can find some clips of the first 5 episodes floating around.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:01 pm

I read once in Behind The Voice Actors that there's another less-known english dub for Dragon Ball produced by a company called Frontier Entreprises. the only way to confirm such dub was one of the voice actors' LinkedIn but sadly, it's not longer online.

Source - http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/for ... hp?p=97934