What exactly did Toriyama himself do for GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:47 am

I do recall reading somewhere that he was very amused, and wished he had come up with it, 'cuz he would have continued in the same way, if he had. This was at least in relation to Goku being turned into a child, again... I'm not sure what else it said... and I'm not sure where I read it...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:50 am

Yes, and after that he went into an anecdote retelling his purchase of a Macintosh. Which made me laugh.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:27 pm

You've got me curiouse, what exactly does it say? From what I understand Toriyama didn't have a high opinion of it, and even joked around about bringing back DBZ because it was so awful.
Just google "Shenron Times". When you see the two words side by side, click that site. There are actually a few sites I found with the interview on it, all worded the same or synonims (sp?) used.
Shenron Times Interview ]

Interview from Shenron Times-
"After 10 Years of Dragon Ball, Now We Can Bring You Behind the Scenes"
This is a open table discussion with some of the major people responsible for Dragon Ball. Mr. Takeda is the discussion leader. Akira Toriyama and his three editors, Fuyuto Takeda (3rd Editor), Yuu Kondo (2nd Editor) and Kazuhiko Torishima (1st Editor)

Takeda: After such a long time of Dragon Ball, I think Akira Toriyama would like to talk about what went on behind the scenes, but first, I would like to talk to Mr. Torishima. Was Dragon Ball popular at first?

Torishima: Well, we were thinking what we could do after Dr. Slump. We wondered, "What do we do next?". I asked Mr. Toriyama to write a one-shot story for Weekly Jump and Fresh Jump.

Toriyama: I wrote many one-shots. Then Mr. Torishima and I had a lot of talks. Torishima said the reader reaction to these wasn't good. We planned these carefully in meetings but.....(smiles)

Torishima: We didn't really talk about Dragon Ball seriously after Dr. Slump, but the reader reaction was really good.

Toriyama: Yeah I had a good feeling about the positive reactions, so I thought this might be really good. I thought I should make the boy the hero.

Takeda: Then we started continuing the stories. At the start, how long did you think it would take to make each saga?

Toriyama: At the start, I didn't think about that. I thought it would only last a year, so I made up three sagas.*

Torishima: Right, right. Authors usually prepare more drafts.

Kondo: Usually authors make a few rough drafts and one final draft. But in Toriyama's case, he skips the roughs and only makes a final. So I didn't know if I should have corrected them or not, but Toriyama is a genius of revisions, so if he personally corrects one rough draft, then the whole impression changes drastically.

Toriyama: No, no, no. It's just that I'm too lazy to to spend energy working on corrections, so I just do my own. (smiling)

Torishima: Okay then, changing subjects, the most difficult time was when we were told Son Goku should grow up. Toriyama said we couldn't continue it if he grew. (smiling) So we had to tell the boss he needed to grow up [in order to make Toriyama grow].

Takeda: Yeah, we negotiated with the executives.

Torishima: Because that's against the theory of manga. The basic thing is the appeal of the main character or hero. So we were thrilled the morning of the day the issue he grew up in went on sale. We came to the office early before 8 AM to listen to complaints from readers. But they accepted it naturally.

Takeda: The first stage of Son Goku was accepted because he was cute, and when he grew up, he became "cool".

Torishima: And when Goku grew up, that was when Takeda's era ended. So during Kondo's era, Vegeta appeared and then the female fans increased.

Kondo: Before women bought Jump, they read mainly shoujou** manga. After I was put in charge we went in the direction of fighting stories. So we needed to escalate, overall story, fighting story, and the background story. So we had three things to think about.

Takeda: At that time, Mr. Toriyama wanted to popularize the series by making it's story fulfilling.

Toriyama: Yeah, at that time, I enjoyed talking about story, rather than drawing story. Going by sagas, I only thought about each part, one month at a time. I kept digging the same hole. The most difficult part was when Trunks appeared. The more I wrote and drew, the less it made sense. It was a difficult time.

Torishima: Yeah...nobody has that kind of patience except Kondo. I couldn't have been that patient.

Toriyama: You're saying that Torishima? That's terrible. Remember that time Artificial Humans 19 and 20 appeared? You weren't in the management position at the time, but you called me at my house and said, "Mr. Toriyama, after waiting for the enemy, it turns out to be just an old man and a fat guy." (laughing) Truth is, we had only planned to use 19 and 20. We had another choice, so we sent 17 and 18. And you said, "I'm dissapointed, they're just kids.". So I sent Cell.

Takeda: You mean you didn't plan to send Cell?

Toriyama: That's right. I liked 19 and 20. Later I ended up liking 1st Stage Cell.

Takeda: That bug? You liked that bug?

Toriyama: Then Kondo said, "He looks okay, but of course he can change". So we decided to change him to a second form.

Kondo: Really? I don't remember that.

Toriyama: After that, Kondo was terribly mean. He said, "This time, Cell looks stupid. Why not make him Perfect?".

Kondo: Well, it looked...really stupid! (laughs)

Toriyama: Second stage, I liked that, and I wanted him to have more time, but we had no choice but to change him. So we made a Perfect Cell, which Kondo liked.

[end]
I don't see any GT or even anime references.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:42 pm

Dayspring wrote:
You've got me curiouse, what exactly does it say? From what I understand Toriyama didn't have a high opinion of it, and even joked around about bringing back DBZ because it was so awful.
Just google "Shenron Times". When you see the two words side by side, click that site. There are actually a few sites I found with the interview on it, all worded the same or synonims (sp?) used.
I'm pretty sure there was more than one Shenlong Times... was it one per Daizenshuu?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:36 pm

I'm pretty sure there was more than one Shenlong Times... was it one per Daizenshuu?
Eheh. Ya. I even have another one as a part of my version (french) of Daizenshuu 1. :oops:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:56 pm

Ya, there was one for each book. I particularly like the one that features Jackie Chan talking about his love for the series. :)

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:06 pm

Is that still shot at the end of the first set of DBGT credits, the one with Goku sleeping with the eye-covers, Trunks waking up and Pan rubbing her eyes drawn by Toriyama?

And can someone post scans of the character designs Toriyama did for GT? I haven't been able to find them anywhere. :(

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:08 pm

No that's in the DBGT Perfect File books. There are two volumes of that.

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:54 am

Day,
As mentioned, every Dai had a pamphlet. The final pamphlet is so rare... well let's just say it is the only one I do not have the original of. The only reason I have it is because Viz made copies and sent them to a business associate of mine who then sent it to me for translating, but then because things fell apart between him and Viz, it turned out that they were not willing to release the rights for outside publication.

I love these companies...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:50 pm

Do you still have it?! If so: you know what I'm going to ask. :twisted:

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:58 pm

I sure do. It is resting in a drawer in my room. Which happens to be a halfway around the world from here at the moment.

Gohan-kun
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gohan-kun » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:11 am

Pardon me for asking but when will you be going halfway around the world again? Anytime soon I hope ;)

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:47 am

June or July depending how long I can crash at my girlfriend's family's home.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:50 am

Toriyama made them cakes.