What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

8000 Saiyan
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:The last post before yours is a year old...

Not really, more like eight months old.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
EnergizerConvoy
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:14 am
Contact:

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby EnergizerConvoy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:48 am

Basically in a World where there's a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged:

Dee Bradley Baker - Goku, Kid Gohan, Android 17
Phil LaMarr - Vegeta, Trunks, Shenron, Piccolo, Yajirobe, Korin, Appule, Mr. Popo, Jeice, Oolong, Garlic Jr
John DiMaggio - Nappa, Burter, Cell, Bardock, Recoome, Android 16, Lord Slug, Pornuga
Tara Strong - Bulma, Puar, Chiaotzu
Tom Kenny - Super Kami Guru, Guldo, Salza
Kevin Michael Richardson - Dodoria, Mr. Satan, Cooler, Captain Ginyu, King Yenma, Turtle
Robbie Daymond - Yamcha
Charlie Adler - Frieza
Maurice LaMarche - King Cold, Dr. Gero, Dr. Briefs, Kami
Jennifer Hale - Chi Chi, Android 18
Josh Keaton - Teen Gohan
Eric Bauza - Tienshinhan, Appule, Master Roshi, Zarbon, King Kai, Krillin
Jim Cummings - Android 13
Cree Summer - Dende
J.B. Blanc - Dr. Wheelo
Frank Welker - Dr. Kochin
David Kaye - Nail, Turles

I know this will never happen in a Million Years, but if it Did. Just Picture the TFS Quotes they will say.

User avatar
TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby TheAldella » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:28 am

I think I agree about Joshua Seth being Goku, if Peter Kelamis isn't available.
I'd like either Mike McFarland or Mary Elizabeth McGlynn to direct.
Colleen Clinkenbeard Krillin would've certainly been interesting, given her time as Luffy.
Liam O'Brien Vegeta,
Crispin Freeman Cell, or Piccolo.
William Frederick Knight as Shen would probably be too good for the character.
Maile Flanagan Kid Gohan,
Michael Yurchak Freeza,
and a Neil Kaplan as Cooler would be incredible.
Favorite anime -
Naruto Shippuden
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Watchmen (2009)
Man of Steel (2013)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Wonder Woman (2017)

HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

8000 Saiyan
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:22 pm

EnergizerConvoy wrote:Basically in a World where there's a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged:

Dee Bradley Baker - Goku, Kid Gohan, Android 17
Phil LaMarr - Vegeta, Trunks, Shenron, Piccolo, Yajirobe, Korin, Appule, Mr. Popo, Jeice, Oolong, Garlic Jr
John DiMaggio - Nappa, Burter, Cell, Bardock, Recoome, Android 16, Lord Slug, Pornuga
Tara Strong - Bulma, Puar, Chiaotzu
Tom Kenny - Super Kami Guru, Guldo, Salza
Kevin Michael Richardson - Dodoria, Mr. Satan, Cooler, Captain Ginyu, King Yenma, Turtle
Robbie Daymond - Yamcha
Charlie Adler - Frieza
Maurice LaMarche - King Cold, Dr. Gero, Dr. Briefs, Kami
Jennifer Hale - Chi Chi, Android 18
Josh Keaton - Teen Gohan
Eric Bauza - Tienshinhan, Appule, Master Roshi, Zarbon, King Kai, Krillin
Jim Cummings - Android 13
Cree Summer - Dende
J.B. Blanc - Dr. Wheelo
Frank Welker - Dr. Kochin
David Kaye - Nail, Turles

I know this will never happen in a Million Years, but if it Did. Just Picture the TFS Quotes they will say.

Wow, you really love DiMaggio, KMR, Bauza and LaMarr.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 11218
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby ABED » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Basically in a World where there's a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged:

No. It's a fanmade parody. Stop giving that show more legitimacy than it deserves.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

User avatar
Gog
I Live Here
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 am
Location: Dio's World.

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby Gog » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:29 pm

ABED wrote:
Basically in a World where there's a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged:

No. It's a fanmade parody. Stop giving that show more legitimacy than it deserves.

Why? I don't see any problems with imagining how a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged would sound like. Its more of a what if statement too.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 11218
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby ABED » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:38 am

Why? I don't see any problems with imagining how a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged would sound like. Its more of a what if statement too.
Because that "show" doesn't even deserve a what if of that sort.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

User avatar
Gog
I Live Here
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 am
Location: Dio's World.

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby Gog » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:52 am

ABED wrote:
Why? I don't see any problems with imagining how a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged would sound like. Its more of a what if statement too.
Because that "show" doesn't even deserve a what if of that sort.


That's a matter of opinion, but even then considering the amount of work, and effort that goes into every single episode I can't exactly see why its a problem entertaining the thought of a what if in regards to it. I know you dislike Dragon Ball Z Abridged, and that's fine. :) But, I just cannot comprehend what all the big deal is with a little What If in regards to certain Voice Actors.

Gerky
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby Gerky » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:18 am

Gog wrote:
ABED wrote:
Why? I don't see any problems with imagining how a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged would sound like. Its more of a what if statement too.
Because that "show" doesn't even deserve a what if of that sort.


That's a matter of opinion, but even then considering the amount of work, and effort that goes into every single episode I can't exactly see why its a problem entertaining the thought of a what if in regards to it. I know you dislike Dragon Ball Z Abridged, and that's fine. :) But, I just cannot comprehend what all the big deal is with a little What If in regards to certain Voice Actors.


I just cannot comprehend why Abridged has become the be all and end all of Dragon Ball for some fans.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 11218
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby ABED » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 am

Gog wrote:
ABED wrote:
Why? I don't see any problems with imagining how a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged would sound like. Its more of a what if statement too.
Because that "show" doesn't even deserve a what if of that sort.


That's a matter of opinion, but even then considering the amount of work, and effort that goes into every single episode I can't exactly see why its a problem entertaining the thought of a what if in regards to it. I know you dislike Dragon Ball Z Abridged, and that's fine. :) But, I just cannot comprehend what all the big deal is with a little What If in regards to certain Voice Actors.

The amount of work is inconsequential. Would it really matter to you if a minimal amount of effort went into something you liked?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby Bansho64 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:03 am

ABED wrote:
Basically in a World where there's a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged:

No. It's a fanmade parody. Stop giving that show more legitimacy than it deserves.

What? As long as he's abiding by the website's rules, he can do whatever the heck he wants. Jesus, it's a harmless idea. Your hate doesn't of TFS doesn't give you the right to tell people what to do. Period.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 11218
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby ABED » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:43 am

Bansho64 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Basically in a World where there's a Cartoon Network dub of Dragon Ball Z Abridged:

No. It's a fanmade parody. Stop giving that show more legitimacy than it deserves.

What? As long as he's abiding by the website's rules, he can do whatever the heck he wants. Jesus, it's a harmless idea. Your hate doesn't of TFS doesn't give you the right to tell people what to do. Period.
No, but I still have that ability until a mod tells me otherwise as long as I abide by the website's rules, the same as anyone else. Period. I could've been a tad less forceful about it but the sentiment would remain the same, people have got to stop talking about TFS as if it's on the same level as the series proper, even the dub. It's not a version of the show, it's a parody.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby Bansho64 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:11 am

ABED wrote:No, but I still have that ability until a mod tells me otherwise as long as I abide by the website's rules, the same as anyone else. Period.

The ability to what? Tell people what to do? You gotta be joking.
I could've been a tad less forceful about it but the sentiment would remain the same, people have got to stop talking about TFS as if it's on the same level as the series proper, even the dub. It's not a version of the show, it's a parody.

What? Because you don't like it? That's fine. But going around and telling people to stop doing this or that ain't the way to go about it. Jesus, the dude had a harmless idea. You act like he just crapped on your fandom.

User avatar
mute_proxy
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Planet 4032-877

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby mute_proxy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:18 am

Bansho64 wrote:What? Because you don't like it? That's fine. But going around and telling people to stop doing this or that ain't the way to go about it. Jesus, the dude had a harmless idea. You act like he just crapped on your fandom.


Not because he doesn't like it, but because it's literally a parody.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby Bansho64 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:24 am

mute_proxy wrote:Not because he doesn't like it, but because it's literally a parody.

I've still yet to see the problem. The dude's basically just imagining TFS, but with different actors. Parody or not, I don't see the issue. It ain't hurting nobody.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 11218
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby ABED » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 am

No, it doesn't hurt anyone, but it still grants that show way too much legitimacy.

The ability to what? Tell people what to do? You gotta be joking.
You make it sound like I was a drill sargeant. Would it make it any better if I say "Please don't..."? I'll admit that it came off as harsher than I heard it in my head as I was typing it, but I don't understand why anyone even entertains this idea to begin with.

In any event, a proper English cast is like we got in Kai. Screw that, it is what we got in Kai. There's never going to be 100% agreement about casting, but I do wish a few of the voices were cast with actors better suited for their roles. For instance, Hebert is terrible as Gyumao. McFarland is good with Roshi's comedic side, but not as the wise old martial arts master and teacher.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8260
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby RandomGuy96 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:36 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:If DBZ had been dubbed in the early 1990's with American cartoon voice actors (which is implausible), I would have loved to see Corey Burton as Cell, Frank Welker as Buu, Tony Jay as King Cold and Charlie Adler as Freeza. As for Goku, perhaps Michael Bell or Dan Gilvezan.

Jay as Freeza would have actually been amazing.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"

He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.

It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
dario03
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1186
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby dario03 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Well if it came out 1997 or later then I would have Tim Daly play Goku. Just to make the Superman link that much stronger :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:51 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:If DBZ had been dubbed in the early 1990's with American cartoon voice actors (which is implausible), I would have loved to see Corey Burton as Cell, Frank Welker as Buu, Tony Jay as King Cold and Charlie Adler as Freeza. As for Goku, perhaps Michael Bell or Dan Gilvezan.

Jay as Freeza would have actually been amazing.

He would have been too deep.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8260
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Postby RandomGuy96 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:If DBZ had been dubbed in the early 1990's with American cartoon voice actors (which is implausible), I would have loved to see Corey Burton as Cell, Frank Welker as Buu, Tony Jay as King Cold and Charlie Adler as Freeza. As for Goku, perhaps Michael Bell or Dan Gilvezan.

Jay as Freeza would have actually been amazing.

He would have been too deep.

That would be the point.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"

He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.

It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.


Return to “General Franchise Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DHM211, Majestic-12 [Bot], Meshack and 22 guests