Who is the most annoying character?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Who is the most annoying character?

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:59 pm

I really hate Mr Satan at the moment because he's annoying and so clearly a phony that I'm pretty sure all the inhabitants of Earth are suffering from serious mental problems if they're willing to believe he's as strong as he says he is. Also, he steals all the respect and fame that should go to the Z Fighters and detracts from their tireless efforts to save the world.
I don't hate Chi-Chi but she really gets on my nerves for some reason, in Japanese and English. I realize she's rightfully concerned about Gohan fighting overpowered bad guys but she is just as bad a parent as Goku because she forces a 4-year-old to do college-level work. Come on, woman, Gohan is 4. When I was 4 I just ran around like a normal kid. Also, since Gohan is capable of being stronger than Goku I think that Chi-Chi is quite literally putting the world at risk by refusing to let the one person who is guaranteed to win not become any stronger. Lastly, her voice really annoys me for some reason in Japanese because she talks like some stupid hick that seems to say "GOKU-SA!!!" incessantly and in English she's annoying and always seems to scream "GOHAWN!!!" (which is an egregiously bad mispronunciation that nobody except me seems to care about) and in both versions she seems to care about nothing except Gohan's academics. Another thing that annoys me about Chi-Chi (yes, the list goes on!) is that she refuses to actually go out and get a job. She always complains that Goku is unemployed and lazy (which is true, but to be fair he's dead half the time and saving the world isn't something that can coexist with a full time job) yet she refuses to get a job while repeatedly complaining about how poor her family is and bamboozling money out of her father.
Anyway, who is the most annoying character for you?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Who is the most annoying character?

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:28 pm

I don't think I could narrow it down to a single character. There have been a few characters that have grinded my gears with how they've been handled (GT Pan, Mr Boo in Super, Pilaf Gang).

Also, if you're legitimately upset over Mr Satan stealing the fame and glory from the Z-Fighters saving the world on several occasions, then the entire point of Mr Satan's character has gone right over your head.

EDIT: ...Fuck it, I can actually narrow it down. Garlic Jr. His stupidity in his filler arc annoys me beyond belief.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:39 pm

Gohan due to weird ass direction from those above.

Chi Chi because her points become entirely moot when no world means no career. Also she changed to the point that the cute couple Goku and Chi Chi were, completely went out the window once her angry shoutty wife shtick started. They hardly justify why they even are together.

Pilaf Gang because fuck them. They are never funny and are a waste of breath. Future Mai is the only good one because she does interesting things. Other than that the others are annoying levity.

For a while, Monaka when he overstayed his welcome. He's a worse Mr. Satan, with no charisma, and part of a nonsensical ploy. I only like how he turned a common Toriyama trope upside down.

Early GT Pan. A really annoying whiner who got what she wanted then started whining again. She got better over time, but she wasn't as useful as she should have been. Then again neither was Trunks.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:40 pm

Roshi. I can't stand him when he's not fighting.
Lord Beerus wrote:Also, if you're legitimately upset over Mr Satan stealing the fame and glory from the Z-Fighters saving the world on several occasions, then the entire point of Mr Satan's character has gone right over your head.
I like it to an extent, but I think they exaggerate it now. It's a tired joke already. I wouldn't have any problem with it if he didn't keep constantly gaining fame (rather than staying how he was post-Buu and maybe gaining fame in teensy amounts).
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:44 pm

GT Pan.

DBS Pilaf Gang.

They're both just awful and make me not like watching the show.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:48 pm

I don't think there has ever been a character in DB which has made me feel like "God, just get off the fucking screen already", so I couldn't exactly pinpoint a most annoying character. Chi-Chi I can understand if she's annoying for some, but she's just a strict mother, there's nothing wrong with that considering her son ended up very well in terms of career. The Pilaf Gang may get on someone's nerves now due to their sudden relevancy but I personally like them and I don't think they ever appear during important moments. I don't like Gohan but I don't think he's annoying. Gotenks, Boo and Mr. Satan are a riot, I love them both. Monaka is just kinda there, though I personally find the fact that Goku (and, earlier, Vegeta and the others) can't figure out he's a fraud even though he's a fighting genius annoying. GT has always been very, very unmemorable for me no matter how much I rewatch it, but I didn't dislike Pan that much upon rewatching it. Super!Goku is a bit childish but he's also endearing and has his good moments. Bulma is a bitch but an entertaining bitch that always gets what's coming to her... usually.

I'd say Videl pre-Super, actually. From the movies, it's easily post-movie 8 Broly.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:57 pm

Vegeta is such an oroboros of a person. I'm not invested in his growth at any point because it's rooted in servicing himself and only himself. Gohan does nothing but we have to look at him a lot. It's not interesting to watch somebody who clearly doesn't want to be there.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Pilaf Gang because fuck them. They are never funny and are a waste of breath. Future Mai is the only good one because she does interesting things. Other than that the others are annoying levity.
Holy shit dude calm down. I can understand hating them in Super but in original Dragon Ball ? They're fine, and good comedic characters.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Holy shit dude calm down. I can understand hating them in Super but in original Dragon Ball ? They're fine, and good comedic characters.
I was talking strictly Super. I am not including the original Dragon Ball where they were fine.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:16 pm

Chichi. Other than being Gohan's mother, she contributes nothing to the show.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:43 pm

Goten. I dislike every version of his voice, his antics are annoying and just how easily he and Trunks ascend to one of the most powerful pisses me off. "Goku transformed with the death of a dear friend, Vegeta transformed while breaking down due to his obsession, F!Trunks transformed at losing the closest thing he had to a friend and father, Gohan transformed after watching Cell tourcher his family and friends; Goten... Just for the lols!". Goten really seems to exsist soley to be Trunks's friend and look cute because Gohan grew up. I would add Kid Trunks to this, but he at least became more bearable throughout the show.

Also, his inconsistent size in Super is starting to get to me...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:45 pm

Kanassa wrote:F!Trunks transformed at losing the closest thing he had to a friend and father
Actually Trunks in the manga transformed off-screen before Gohan's death.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:47 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Kanassa wrote:F!Trunks transformed at losing the closest thing he had to a friend and father
....Really!?

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:56 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
....Really!?
Yeah

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Kanassa wrote: ....Really!?
Yup. It also causes a continuity issue as well considering we see him transforming for the first time in the Super anime as a retelling of how did it in the anime special.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:02 pm

Kanassa wrote:Goten.
I trusted you!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:23 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Goten.
I trusted you!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Even though you've already responded to a post by me admitting I don't like Goten before. You know, when you going on about how 'sickening' it is :D

Kanassa wrote:

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Kanassa wrote: Even though you've already responded to a post by me admitting I don't like Goten before. You know, when you going on about how 'sickening' it is :D
I see above you said you don't like any of the voices for Goten? How many have you heard may I ask? There's gotta be one that might appeal to ya.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Even though you've already responded to a post by me admitting I don't like Goten before. You know, when you going on about how 'sickening' it is :D
I see above you said you don't like any of the voices for Goten? How many have you heard may I ask? There's gotta be one that might appeal to ya.
Any of the voices I've heard.

Nozowa, Jillian Michel and Kara Edwards. Edwards being the worse for me, she sounds like she's putting on that voice sibings use to annoyingly mimic someone. "Whaaa, you wan me ta hit du with da rock!?"
Last edited by Kanassa on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:38 pm

None of the characters are annoying unless the writers amplify their worst traits in scenes, which sadly happens with Chi-Chi and sometimes Vegeta a lot.

But overall I can't think of any character who seriously bothered me. There have been some who are kinda dull at times, but annoying? Nah.