Should I watch or buy DBGT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Im insaneFromEarth
Beyond Newbie

Re: Should I watch or buy DBGT

Post by Im insaneFromEarth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:29 pm

THEGOKU wrote:GT is good from the Baby Saga on with a few stumbles here and there. Honestly I would say watch the series in Japanese just to hear "Dan, Dan" and the ending themes which are very very good. I mean if you care for that kind of stuff if not the Dub is good too but the soundtrack for it is just awful again if you care for that stuff. GT has a lot of great characters and concepts and it doesn't really all mesh well at times and I think that is part of the problem. It is worth checking out and I am sure you can check your local electronics store and find the green bricks for about $20 each. Plus SSJ4 is badass and you can never go wrong with that.

I will give this a try as soon as I can, I got to finish the Dragonboxes that I have lol

Im insaneFromEarth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Im insaneFromEarth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:If you've seen both DB and DBZ, or read the manga, and/ or own them I'd say go for it. It's not a great series, but not a terrible one either, and at the end of the day it's more Dragon Ball :thumbup: .

I'd highly recommend the Japanese version, but if you really want to watch it dubbed I'd choose the track with the (beautiful) Japanese score, as the replacement score is dire.

And if you live in the U.S. the green bricks can be found really cheap, so look out for them especially if there is a Walmart near you.

I will have to try it out

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:51 pm

The Super 17 arc (which doesn't go for long) is when it's at it's worst.
As noted, the English dub is pretty ok especially if you watch it with the Japanese score. Nothing great but there's nothing on par with "cat loves food" and "sword of injustice". They mostly just watered down the original scripts.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:17 pm

I also suggest to watch Hero's Legacy after the last episode of GT. The special makes more sense to watch it last since it can explain why Goku is back with the Dragon Balls. Hero's Legacy is not too bad and does feel a bit more closer to the original adventure feel that the first Dragon Ball show had. My biggest issue with it was that it did feel a bit sappy at times and Goku Jr. can somehow go SSj when he is shown to be very weak (He is probably weaker than Pilaf saga Goku).

Also with the GT dub, I found the voices from Elise Baughman and Stephanie Nadolny to be annoying to sit through. Not to mention some of the bad voices are from other characters like Dr. Myuu, who had the bad German accent. Super Yi Xing Long (Omega Shenron) also had a terrible English voice that makes my ears bleed. The voice sounds so generic in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:14 pm

GT is a blast if you go into it with an open mind, Id definitely buy it. As long as you don't go into the show thinking it's not by Toriyama so it craps mindset, or nitpick all the little things you could really have fun with it. Honestly, I have more fond memories with GT then I do most of the movies. Just enjoy it for what it is! :)

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:48 pm

You should take frequent breaks

I'd skip the Super 17 stuff and some of the filler like episodes
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Super 17 saga is important to the plot since it does lead up to the Shadow Dragon saga. Even Shenron at the last episode of GT mention that the gateway of Hell cause the Dragon Balls to crack via chain reaction.
She/Her

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:26 pm

If you do, please...PLEEEEEEASE watch the Japanese sub. The English dub is fucking garbage.

And mind you, I'm someone who likes the DBZ dub as much as the original version.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:21 am

Watching GT dub with the Japanese music won't make it much better if you ask me. I also dislike Videl's new voice in GT, I don't know why Funimation give the character a new voice.
She/Her

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:41 am

I have no idea why everyone hates the Super 17 stuff so much (all six episodes of it). It's fun. Especially the ending fight.

Is it because of powder leaflets?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:38 am

Cipher wrote:I have no idea why everyone hates the Super 17 stuff so much (all six episodes of it). It's fun. Especially the ending fight.

Even I, someone who likes GT more than the rest - apart from the original DB and the Zamas Saga - must say that Super 17 is a very underwhelming "saga" for me. When I returned to watch it, I was surprised by how much I actually like the battle Goku vs Super 17 but the rest is just ... something?

I don't even think other than most people that the "hell breaks loose" thing is bad but really, especially here, I can say that the execution would do the trick. Cell and Freeza could have been great for the thing. And they could still have made that part end funny by Goku ultimately beating them, especially by first fighting them in base easily and then exaggerating by going SSJ4.

Also I think Super 17 looks horrible when his hair is not covering his face. And that weird outfit - he already does wear black clothing like Baby. The should have just given him that to cover torso and arms and start out with his brown leather coat.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:10 am

Cetra wrote:When I returned to watch it, I was surprised by how much I actually like the battle Goku vs Super 17
That's literally one-third of the arc though.

For my money, there are two clunky episodes, which are everyone vs. 17 before Goku's arrival, and the Uchiyama-supervised episode where Piccolo helps Goku escape Hell. But that means a solidly enjoyable time for most (two thirds) of it. We get some flashy action, a fun conceit, a torture-focused tour of Hell, Freeza and Cell being Hell-bros, and a nice moment between #18 and Goku before speeding into the final arc.

I think it's one of the better short arcs of the franchise. Two boring episodes in the middle is tolerable.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:25 pm

I hate the Freeza and Cell episode. Not because I did not like the battle, I can enjoy Goku making a fool out of them and overall I thought it was okay but there is one big minus that completely breaks it down as "hate it" for me and that is the fact that Cell tried to absorb Goku. If I were to remake GT this would be the first scene to be retconned.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Cetra wrote:I hate the Freeza and Cell episode. Not because I did not like the battle, I can enjoy Goku making a fool out of them and overall I thought it was okay but there is one big minus that completely breaks it down as "hate it" for me and that is the fact that Cell tried to absorb Goku. If I were to remake GT this would be the first scene to be retconned.
Not to mention that those were some of the worse looking episodes of GT.
Retired.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:46 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Cetra wrote:I hate the Freeza and Cell episode. Not because I did not like the battle, I can enjoy Goku making a fool out of them and overall I thought it was okay but there is one big minus that completely breaks it down as "hate it" for me and that is the fact that Cell tried to absorb Goku. If I were to remake GT this would be the first scene to be retconned.
ACTUALLY that is not totally true. There are some infamous frames of Cell but that is in only like one episode. There are a lot of scenes in hell where Cell was drawn by another guy and they looked great.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Cetra wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ACTUALLY that is not totally true. There are some infamous frames of Cell but that is in only like one episode. There are a lot of scenes in hell where Cell was drawn by another guy and they looked great.
I remember them being ugly, but I haven't watched in a long time. Maybe I was distracted by the bad Cell model at the time.
Retired.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I remember them being ugly, but I haven't watched in a long time. Maybe I was distracted by the bad Cell model at the time.

When Cell comes back with Freeza there is a very nice full body shot of him as well as a direct face shot. Also the scene where they both shoot a Death Beam shows Cell pretty good. And even in the episode of weirdness Cell sometimes does not look all that bad. The problem was that the artist screwed up Cell's eyes and headpiece. I would not have minded the rest too much.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:05 pm

Cipher wrote:I have no idea why everyone hates the Super 17 stuff so much (all six episodes of it). It's fun. Especially the ending fight.

Having rewatched GT a few months ago, the Super 17 arc was easily my favorite stretch (I found a lot of the early space adventures and the first few Evil Dragons to be way more boring, personally). I think hating the Super 17 arc is almost as much of a bandwagon phenomenon as hating GT itself. Obviously neither are perfect, but they're both incredibly fun if you can turn your brain off (and come on, it's Dragon Ball, that thing shouldn't be on a very high setting in the first place) to the point where the vitriol spat in their general direction is beyond hyperbolic.
Cipher wrote:We get some flashy action, a fun conceit, a torture-focused tour of Hell, Freeza and Cell being Hell-bros, and a nice moment between #18 and Goku before speeding into the final arc.
Don't forget #18 actually being of some import to the plot, Piccolo having some great importance, Piccolo getting himself kicked out of heaven, Bra showing a semblance of personality and Saiyan nature by wanting to join Chichi and Videl in fighting the bad guys, Kid Goku being his usual complete asshole self to Freeza and Cell, and an actual sense of scale to the final battle of the arc (with Super 17 being sent across the planet, and then firing ki blasts back across the planet).

Not to mention, a lot of the little narrative hiccups can be very easily rationalized as byproducts of the Dragon Balls acting up. They crack at the end of the Baby arc, and the Evil Dragons are is directly lead into by this one. This arc feels more than anything like a prologue to the Evil Dragons arc.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:16 pm

One day I'd like to see a fan edit which combined the Super 17 arc and the Shadow Dragon arc, having the events happen simultaneously, which would explain why Goku and Pan went against the dragons by themselves...because the others were too busy fighting the villians from hell. Also, in this fanedit, if Super 17 himself can't be removed, then at least remove the "17 was always meant to be the strongest" nonsense. Dr. Gero saying that the biggest example of being out of character in all of GT...and if there were any other examples they don't even come close.

edit: With the fanedit including Japanese (animax?) audio with the official english subs of course.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:14 pm

My biggest issues with the Super 17 saga was:

1. Making Cell and Freeza into nothing but comic relief. They didn't give us a serious return of these two iconic villains.

2. It feels like a lazy repeat of Fusion Reborn with all of the villains escaping out of Hell. They only show up as cameos and most of them are killed off screen. Why bring back all of the old villains if they are going to kill them off so easily and do it off screen?

3. They had Piccolo to live in Hell and I remember fans felt like having him to be use a plot device was a bad way to end his legacy.

4. Vegeta and the others got defeated too easily. Uub got defeated in one attack and he is the second strongest fighter in GT at the time.

5. The idea of Super 17 feels lazy. Why not create a new cyborg in Hell? Why not create Jinzoningen #22 instead?

6. Bad inconsistencies (Why suddenly use 17 again? How is #17 the strongest creation of Dr. Gero if Cell was made to be his Ultimate creation? How did Gero and Myu regain control of #17? How are Cell and Freeza now immortal in Hell if they are already dead? How is #19 able to be sense by Goten & Trunks? How is #19 and Major Metallitron are able to be sent to Hell if they are 100% machine?)

7. The Super 17 saga did give us some pretty awful looking animation and had the worst looking animation in GT in my opinion.
She/Her