Should I watch or buy DBGT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

killafoe69

Re: Should I watch or buy DBGT

Post by killafoe69 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:37 am

I think you should at least watch it once. Keep an open mind and be mindful that this is following anime continuity, not the manga's. So if that bothers you, then you'll have a problem with GT from the get go. Stick through it though all the way to the end and make sure you watch A Hero's Legacy. Also, watch GT in Japanese. The English Dub is garbage.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:17 am

killafoe69 wrote:I think you should at least watch it once. Keep an open mind and be mindful that this is following anime continuity, not the manga's. So if that bothers you, then you'll have a problem with GT from the get go. Stick through it though all the way to the end and make sure you watch A Hero's Legacy. Also, watch GT in Japanese. The English Dub is garbage.
Putting aside the fact this thread is pretty old, that's a fair assessment.

Although, some people can't watch subbed in Japanese; for those people, the only option is to watch dubbed.
In cases like these, the best thing to do is to get the "Season" DVDs, and watch with the Japanese music option. The dub changes are still really bad, and the narration will sound really out of place, but you'll be able to watch it in something vaguely resembling how it's supposed to be.

I'd love to recommend the Blue Water dub instead, but of course, it was never released. :L
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 17, 2017 7:50 am

I'd say watch it in Japanese. Both English dubs are bad.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Looks like someone didn't read my post...
Robo4900 wrote:Although, some people can't watch subbed in Japanese; for those people, the only option is to watch dubbed.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Looks like someone didn't read my post...
Oops.
Robo4900 wrote:Although, some people can't watch subbed in Japanese; for those people, the only option is to watch dubbed.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri May 19, 2017 10:08 am

If you want to collect all things Dragonball, then sure. However, if your not all that interested, then I'd say just stream it.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:53 am

My only issue with GT is Pan ,Uub, and Bulla being wasted. Other than that, I love everything about GT. And this is coming from someone who's only ever watched the dub of that show. I don't think the Dub is as bad as most people say it is. (And yes I even like the Rap opening). So overall, yes I would recommend GT.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Really, it's your choice. I'll watch GT at some stage, possibly if I catch up in Super and get bored, but for now it's not a priority.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Fri May 19, 2017 9:47 pm

I see that some are stating that GT is better than super. I personally disagree.

While I think Super is better, GT is at least good enough to watch. Even if you don't consider it canon like most people now, it will at least explain things about some of the things you see in the games. Such as why SS4 Goku has a tail while SS4 Vegeta doesn't and why that matters.

For instance, in the Xenoverse GT DLC, you have Great Ape Baby fighting SS4 Vegeta and SS4 Gogeta. That is Impossible to have happen in the story context that is given and as such, makes no sense. Watching GT explains why.

It's decent really, and at $25, it's worth picking up.

Though I'll warn you, if you have sensitive ears, Pan's voice can get... grating. Also, yeah, Bulla is indeed younger than Pan, despite how the two appear.