Canadian French Dub- does it exist?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Canadian French Dub- does it exist?

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 pm

geralds wrote::problem:
sangofe wrote:So the YouTube videos have been taken down... Is there a way to get this DVD?
There is an English version of this on YouTube. It has different English actors then ocean or funimation. This really seems like a rushed hack job or something non of it seems official then getting permission to use dragon ball. The French is more then likely just there to comply with Canadian law more then anything.
What do you mean about the French? Are there no recorded french lines?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:45 pm

geralds wrote:There is an English version of this on YouTube. It has different English actors then ocean or funimation.
One. One voice, and that would be the narrator this special had. (and even that point I'm not sure of. The voice could be from Funi, but I don't know who it was who narrated) The rest is using clips from the BLT dub of DB 13 and the Saban and "Season Three and onwards" In-House Funi dubs of DBZ.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:07 pm

I looked it up, in Quebec they received AB Groupe's dub on TV. It ran on a channel called TQS between 1999 and 2001. A local home video distributor named Imavision put out some of the episodes and films on VHS.
sangofe wrote:So the YouTube videos have been taken down... Is there a way to get this DVD?
Look out for eBay auctions for a Kraft Dinner DBZ DVD?
Danfun64 wrote:
geralds wrote:There is an English version of this on YouTube. It has different English actors then ocean or funimation.
One. One voice, and that would be the narrator this special had. (and even that point I'm not sure of. The voice could be from Funi, but I don't know who it was who narrated) The rest is using clips from the BLT dub of DB 13 and the Saban and "Season Three and onwards" In-House Funi dubs of DBZ.
It opens with a clip from the 1995 Dragon Ball dub, but the rest of the narration is Chris Sabat.
Last edited by Super Sayian Prime on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Thank you. Actually the clip at the opening is specifically the intro to BLT Curse of the Blood Rubies.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I looked it up, in Quebec they received AB Groupe's dub on TV. It ran on a channel called TQS between 1999 and 2001. A local home video distributor named Imavision put out some of the episodes and films on VHS.
Look out for eBay auctions for a Kraft Dinner DBZ DVD?
Danfun64 wrote:
It opens with a clip from the 1995 Dragon Ball dub, but the rest of the narration is Chris Sabat.

So how much is in actuall french on that DVD? And is it dubbed like a normal dub would be?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:22 pm

sangofe wrote:So how much is in actuall french on that DVD? And is it dubbed like a normal dub would be?
The DVD contains The World of Dragon Ball Z special (~20 minutes) and episodes 124 and 125.

It is kind of a proper dub? It's not one of those narrated things where there's one actor reading everything and you can hear the original audio in the background. However, as has been stated, the group dubbing this weren't given isolated background music or effects tracks. This means when there's dialogue from the characters, the BGM ends. You can also tell they left in grunts and other things from the English version.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Here's where you can find some more info about this "dub", plus some clips of it: https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2018/ ... on-ball-z/
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:11 pm

wjbraden wrote:Here's where you can find some more info about this "dub", plus some clips of it: https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2018/ ... on-ball-z/
Thank you. That's certainly something.

This Canadian-French dub definitely remains very obscure and the strangest thing for me is that this French dub used Faulconer's score, not the original soundtrack by Kikuchi (which AB Groupe used).

Edit

Canadian-French vids of DBZ on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZDLB0GSVgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOcg3WtHmZg
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
wjbraden wrote:Here's where you can find some more info about this "dub", plus some clips of it: https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2018/ ... on-ball-z/

This Canadian-French dub definitely remains very obscure and the strangest thing for me is that this French dub used Faulconer's score, not the original soundtrack by Kikuchi (which AB Groupe used).
This is a bilingual DVD with both English and French. It's basically a Canadian equivalent to this VHS tape that was a Burger King promo in the United States, which included The World of Dragon Ball Z and 124/125 with Faulconer's music. The Quebec crew were probably given the English materials and told to make something happen. Remember, they didn't even get the M&E tracks for this. Sourcing Japanese audio would've been out of their reach.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 pm

^ Thanks, Prime! :)

Does anyone know where I could perhaps buy this Canadian-French DBZ dub DVD from? I've checked eBay but seems like there's no listings of it, maybe it uses some vague name like "Dragon Ball Z DVD". Plus, if it this is sold by someone who knows that this is a considerable rarity then he/she might ask for a ridiculous amount like $75 or more.

This honestly feels like something that should be preserved and while someone has uploaded clips of it to the web that's not quite enough, the full disc is always better as it contains all of its intended content.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:58 am

It's a 12-year-old Canada-only promotional DVD. It's not going to be easy to find. Rarity doesn't always equal value. I saw this disc go on eBay for $3. Of course, that sold before we knew it contained anything noteworthy.

By the way, the entire French side has been ripped. We even have the credits, though they only credit the English crew ...

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: By the way, the entire French side has been ripped. We even have the credits, though they only credit the English crew ...
I've got a feeling that Kraft Foods produced this dub in-house using people from the company.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:26 am

in this website you talk about
https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2018/ ... on-ball-z/

this part answer to the whole topic

"The disc was produced by KaBoom! Entertainment (now owned by eOne Entertainment), who was Funimation’s Canadian distributor at the time. It contained The World of Dragon Ball Z compilation special and episodes 124 and 125 (the driving test episode) in both English and French. The thing is, Funimation created The World of Dragon Ball Z in 2000 to distribute on a U.S. Burger King promotional VHS (which also contained episodes 124 and 125, indicating this was a Canadian equivalent) before reusing it as a bonus feature on some of their DVDs. There wasn’t an already existing AB Groupe dub from France. In what is almost certainly the only of its kind for Dragon Ball, a French Canadian cast was brought in to record it and the two episodes."

so it was a canadian dub only for this special and the ep 124 125 so it didn't really exist canadian dub properly speaking

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:05 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:

Edit

Canadian-French vids of DBZ on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZDLB0GSVgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOcg3WtHmZg
It sounds like a bad impression of the French and FUNimation DBZ voices... (Goku and Trunks from the French dub for example, Vegeta from the FUNimation dub)

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:15 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's a 12-year-old Canada-only promotional DVD. It's not going to be easy to find. Rarity doesn't always equal value. I saw this disc go on eBay for $3. Of course, that sold before we knew it contained anything noteworthy.

By the way, the entire French side has been ripped. We even have the credits, though they only credit the English crew ...
I found a website where someone's selling it for $3 only but there's a catch to it, you need to be in Regina, SK (Canada). Otherwise you can't get in contact with the seller at all (maybe a fake address would work but that community has active staff that try to be as caring as possible). I got in touch with one of the admins to try and work things out but I still got rejected (it feels very much like a ban) from being accepted into the community as I'm not from Canada much less from Regina SK either.

https://www.varagesale.com/items/9ffauc ... ort=newest

Supposedly this guy is on Facebook but I don't use FB. Hopefully someone will do an eBay auction.
sangofe wrote:It sounds like a bad impression of the French and FUNimation DBZ voices... (Goku and Trunks from the French dub for example, Vegeta from the FUNimation dub)
That it does but the fact that a Canadian-French dub is just so fascinating in itself.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's a 12-year-old Canada-only promotional DVD. It's not going to be easy to find. Rarity doesn't always equal value. I saw this disc go on eBay for $3. Of course, that sold before we knew it contained anything noteworthy.

Sallron Henderson! :lol:
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:56 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Sallron Henderson! :lol:
Iam Curlett is probably my favourite. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Wait a minute... "El Mundo de Dragon Ball Z"... there's a Spanish version of this disc? The plot thickens...

edit: Apparently that page used to have a image of the disc cover... this image to be exact. Probably jumped the gun on the page description...
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Wait a minute... "El Mundo de Dragon Ball Z"... there's a Spanish version of this disc? The plot thickens...

edit: Apparently that page used to have a image of the disc cover... this image to be exact. Probably jumped the gun on the page description...
The eBay listing was originally written in English. I just couldn't find that version when I went searching for the link. I grabbed this photo from there.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sallron Henderson! :lol:
Iam Curlett is probably my favourite. :lol:
What about Sean Scheminel and Alec Willoughs?