Canadian French Dub- does it exist?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Canadian French Dub- does it exist?

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Originally, in another thread awhile, I had brought up that there might Canadian French dub based on the Ocean dub. I had originally heard this from another site that I can't recall, and I eventually just gave up after hearing that no-one had heard of it and I decided that it probably wasn't true.

I'm starting to think that it actually might exist though. I used the search bar here and saw that it had been mentioned in a very old thread by two users.

So maybe this thing does exist. I basically created to thread to discuss about the possible existence of the dub and to see if anybody might have any info about it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Canadian French Dub- does it exist?

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:32 am

French teletoon Canadian dub based off saban? Weird but fascinating...

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm going to take a guess and say no. The CRTC Canadian production database has some Dragon Ball omissions (the 1995 dub of DB and Three of Might), but there's literally 0 mention of a French version.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:14 pm

I'd be really interested to hear more about this dub, if it exists. Anyway do we know to what extent the dub is based off the Saban dub? Is it just the Saban scripts translated into French? Does it retain the Shuki Levy score? When did it air?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I'm going to take a guess and say no. The CRTC Canadian production database has some Dragon Ball omissions (the 1995 dub of DB and Three of Might), but there's literally 0 mention of a French version.
Is it not possible that the dub could have been rejected by the CRTC? What if the footage was uncut, they used the Kikuchi score and just having Canadian actors wasn't enough for it to qualify as Canadian content? Is there a chance AB could have produced it initially for the French market but later broadcast it in Canada in a similar fashion to the Westwood dub being made primarily for the UK but later airing on YTV?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I'd be really interested to hear more about this dub, if it exists. Anyway do we know to what extent the dub is based off the Saban dub? Is it just the Saban scripts translated into French? Does it retain the Shuki Levy score? When did it air?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I'm going to take a guess and say no. The CRTC Canadian production database has some Dragon Ball omissions (the 1995 dub of DB and Three of Might), but there's literally 0 mention of a French version.
Is it not possible that the dub could have been rejected by the CRTC? What if the footage was uncut, they used the Kikuchi score and just having Canadian actors wasn't enough for it to qualify as Canadian content? Is there a chance AB could have produced it initially for the French market but later broadcast it in Canada in a similar fashion to the Westwood dub being made primarily for the UK but later airing on YTV?
There are plenty of uncut productions with the original Japanese score in that database. Gundam(s), InuYasha, NANA, .hack//ROOTS, Hunter x Hunter, etc.

AB Group produced a French dub in France with local actors. I don't really see why they'd fund a separate French Canadian production. I'm no expert, but I was always under the impression natives of France hated the Quebecois dialect. :lol:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:04 am

for movies canadian french dub have better translation than the Truefrench one... it is the french problem they didn't like having two dub and are used with their "voice" actor ...
for Dragon Ball i didn't think there is really one but who knows?....
i found it strange that not even a sample of this dub can be found.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: AB Group produced a French dub in France with local actors. I don't really see why they'd fund a separate French Canadian production. I'm no expert, but I was always under the impression natives of France hated the Quebecois dialect. :lol:
Dubs from Canada rarely get shown in France, especially if they already have a competing one.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:50 pm

DrBriefsCat wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote: AB Group produced a French dub in France with local actors. I don't really see why they'd fund a separate French Canadian production. I'm no expert, but I was always under the impression natives of France hated the Quebecois dialect. :lol:
Dubs from Canada rarely get shown in France, especially if they already have a competing one.
French from France do dislike Quebecois French but the two dialects have many differences. I'd see why a Quebecois French dub would be necessary because I was in French immersion in junior high school with all the Francophone teachers being Quebecois, and when I would try to read a book in France French, it was more difficult.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed May 24, 2017 7:47 am

Wait, so there is a Canadian French dub after all? After watching these videos and translating some of the comments, it appears as though Kraft Dinners released a DVD with the name "Le Monde de Dragon Ball Z' (or "The World of Dragon Ball Z") in select products that featured a sort of "anthology" of select Dragon Ball Z episodes, dubbed in French by Quebec actors. It seems like the DVD only covers episodes from the Saiyan and Android Sagas, but I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet. It also appears that they used the Bruce Faulconer opening, which made me think that Funimation had a hand in the production of this dub, but after listening a bit, it appears they use the name "Sangoku" for Goku, which is used for all AB Groupe dubs. Hmmm, what an interesting find, thanks Red259! :)
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Wed May 24, 2017 8:57 am

Dragon Boule Z-Z-Z!

Le gentil Son Gohan!

Dragon Boule Z-Z-Z!

Combat tous les méchants!

If you did read it please tell me how.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed May 24, 2017 12:12 pm

The idea of there being a dub that uses BOTH 'Tien' and 'Petit-Coeur' at the same time confuses the hell out of me.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 pm

http://aminoapps.com/page/anime/3338494/kd-dbz-disk
So it isn't fake then. Here's a shortened English version BTW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g90fZVHDow4
...have fun comparing the scripts between the two. Also "I smell death in the air" is in this.

The French version of this, much like the Latin Spanish dub of the Harmony Gold DB Movies 1&3 as well as Speedy DBZ Movie 9, lacks M/E audio. Unlike those other two which fill in the music from other sources, the French dub of World of Dragon Ball Z fills it with nothing. It might have been wiser to try to acquire French dub clips from the AB Groupe.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed May 24, 2017 7:44 pm

... 2005? This really slipped through the cracks.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:30 pm

2005? I was under the impression that it came out sometime during the Androids/Cell Saga. Then again, the French video link contains only the first half, and the English video I posted was from a shortened (I'd say abridged, but...) version.

In a way, this seems like the opposite of the Big Green dub. While the Big Green dub gives a hint of what English AB Groupe series dubs might have looked like, the French dub of World of DBZ shows what a French Funimation dub might have looked like. Also, both Big Green and French World of DBZ seem to have lower quality voice acting than what they are based off of (French dub for the former and the BLT, Saban, and In-House Funi dubs for the latter. A third point is that both Big Green and French World of DBZ have superficial similarities to the Funi and AB Groupe dubs respectively (Big Green Roshi and to a lesser extent Goku sound similar to the Funi versions, French World of DBZ keeps Petit-Cour)

Granted, somehow I have the feeling that a more complete French dub of Funi DBZ would have the M/E audio instead of muting everything when anybody talks. On the bright side, it shouldn't be too hard to try to readd the sound effects and the Berrings/Levi/Faulconer music along with the missing sound effects if the complete World of DBZ is found, using the English version as a guide to where it's supposed to go.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed May 24, 2017 10:01 pm

Turns out there was a thread for that disc, but it only focused on the English version.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu May 25, 2017 10:58 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Turns out there was a thread for that disc, but it only focused on the English version.
That thread woulda been interesting if it hadn't been locked by Julian. Thanks for nothing, Julian! *Sarcasm*
The world is your's.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:18 am

So the YouTube videos have been taken down... Is there a way to get this DVD?

geralds

Post by geralds » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 am

:problem:
sangofe wrote:So the YouTube videos have been taken down... Is there a way to get this DVD?
There is an English version of this on YouTube. It has different English actors then ocean or funimation. This really seems like a rushed hack job or something non of it seems official then getting permission to use dragon ball. The French is more then likely just there to comply with Canadian law more then anything.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:42 am

It's kind of how odd a Canadian-French dub of Dragon Ball doesn't even exist seeing how the Quebec side of Canada values its superiority the rest.

Just an example list of Western languages that come to mind:

Castellano ✓
Catalán ✓
Euskerá ✓
Gallego ✓
Português ✓
Français ✓
Gaelic
Swedish ✓
Polish ✓
Russian ✓
Italian ✓
Deutsch ✓
English
Canadian-French
Canadian-English ✓
American-English ✓

Then you have the 'extra' ones:

Angolan-Portuguese
Brazilian-Portuguese ✓
African-French
Latin-Spanish ✓

The point of bringing this up? Dragon Ball content was dubbed in most of these but not all.

You know, I'd not say no to watching Dragon Ball dubbed in Canadian-French or Angolan-Portuguese. Something a bit different (Angolan-Portuguese sounds relatively similar to Portuguese-Portugal but with some minor differences, still).
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.