Rank the dubs of each series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Rank the dubs of each series

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:05 pm

Robo4900 wrote: What the BLT dub got already was given a decent chance, and in fact I recall hearing reports that the ratings were rather good, though I can't find that info myself at this time. There's no real way of knowing why Funimation cut their initial 26-episode order of Dragon Ball down to 13, and then switched to Saban and did Z, but I don't think it was a case of Dragon Ball failing.
From my understanding they skipped to Z because they thought it was a better fit for the US market i.e it would make them more money.

When I say it wasn’t given a fair chance I mean Funimation cancelled it and then jumped ahead to DBZ. And even still I found the BLT dub is rather obscure to casual fans nowadays.

The idea that Dragon Ball only became a success when Toonami ran Z in 1999 is one of many, many, many cases of revisionist history in the Dragon Ball fandom that has no evidence behind it. Meanwhile, on Kanzenshuu, there's clear evidence to the contrary... "Currently syndicated in the US by Saban Domestic Distribution in its Saban’s Kids Block, DRAGON BALL Z is being broadcast in over 85% of the country with top ratings for a weekly syndicated series (especially in they [sic] key boys 6-11 demographic). [...]"
Well minor correction it came on Toonami in 1998 the in-house dub just didnt start airing until Fall of 99.

Minor tangent this is why it annoys me when Faulconer fanbois insist Faulconer’s music made Z popular in America. We know that isn’t true because the show was a huge hit on Toonami with the Wasserman score (and the Kikuchi score for the first two movies).

And yes I do believe DBZ did well in syndication it just did much better once it got to Toonami. I saw an interview somewhere it was the number one kids syndicated show?

This is the first I heard Dragon Ball did reasonably well though.

Anyway, point is, I don't think any chance that involved the companies it did would have saved the BLT dub. If they'd somehow come to some arrangement with Saban to do OG DB, it still would have most certainly been cut short, though it would have run closer to 80 episodes instead of Dragon Ball's 13, or Z's 56. We'd end up with starting with DB, but there's no reason to believe anything else would have been different about the situation.
Well more so I wish we had gotten an entire series with that cast doing Dragon Ball

I love Chris Sabat, I think he's great as Vegeta now, but his Piccolo Daimao in DB sucked. Meanwhile, the guy they got from BW was actually kind of great.
He was definitely pretty good. The Blue Water guy I mean.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:23 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:sometimes strange terminology is used a few times and then never used again like "Golden Nimbus"
If by sometimes, you mean once or twice across the entire run, which you have continued to bang on about endlessly since noticing them, then sure. :P

(For context to others: Danfun and I are friends and have been comparing the scripts of the BW, Funi, BLT, and Japanese versions of DB for a while)

Danfun64 wrote:on the other side of things you'd have an episode based off the Funi DB script, then switching to a different script (often more accurate)...only to go back to Funi's scripts within a few episodes later.
Which is only a consistency problem if you're comparing scripts... In terms of actually watching it, it works utterly fine. However, it does give Blue Water a significant edge in accuracy, even if this edge is lesser or greater depending on the episode. :P
Danfun64 wrote:That being said, despite that as well as the problems with using the AB Groupe footage as a base (resulting in some scenes with Japanese text being cut, some scenes cut for no reason except maybe time, and the Namekian text being cut from the episode where Kami and Piccolo talk to each other completely changing the meaning of the scene) it still felt like a more professional production than Funi DB.
I do feel like these problems are easy to overstate. Yes, these are problems. Are they more intrusive than the less accurate scripts, worse acting from a smaller pool of actors, less professional production, and even -- as you yourself once put it -- the fact BW DB has a more enjoyable feel to it than Funi DB...? I believe you and I even at one point discussed the general feeling of Funi DB being a sort of "BEFORE ZEE, BEFORE GEETEE, THERE WAS DRAGON BALL!!", while BW DB is more of an honest presentation of Dragon Ball, delivered under certain limitations.

I think BW DB is still the least-worst option as far as DB dubbing. Yes, it's flawed. All of them are. All of them are censored to various degrees, but BW handles it better. Despite the fact the Pilaf and 21st Tenkaichi scripts would deviate in odd ways from time to time, the overall picture the two of us have observed in our time comparing the scripts is that BW tends to correct Funi's scripts. Usually that means rewriting most scenes to just be better-written dialogue, quite often it means either gutting or changing Funi's infamous cases of liberal adaptation, every now and then it means chucking the script out and writing based off a proper Japanese translation... But in general, it does give BW a notable edge in both accuracy and dialogue quality.

So... It's not clear-cut. If "Uncut" is a term that blindly makes you immediately default to the dub it applies to, excepting all other factors, then sure, you'll probably do okay with Funi's dub. But that probably means you'll also watch Funi's "Remastered" Z dub, even though this comparison is imperfect as there isn't a more accurate alternate dub... Ultimately, watching dubbed will be a censored, messy experience whatever route you choose. I personally would say the generally more professional production of BW gives it a significant edge, as does its better dialogue, and slightly higher accuracy. And much as Zoe Slusar and Leda Davies are not perfect castings, I'd say they're sure as hell better than Nadolny and Vollmer, neither of whom could act their way out of a paper bag in Dragon Ball. Perhaps not their fault -- I personally still blame a lot of Dragon Ball's dubbing problems under Funimation on poor direction and scripting, but nevertheless, I do think they were poor choices for those roles, and gave very poor performances... And while BW's voices tended to be less distinctive than Funi's, it's clear they were working with a large pool of actors with experience, who didn't need to put any real effort in to distinguish themselves from each-other, as their natural voices are quite different, which of course does stretch to any odd/character voices... This is opposed to Funi's approach of stretching their handful of actors far by making them put on countless bad accents and unnatural voices that stunted their ability to perform under the already rather poor direction they had, and the most awful scripts you'll see...
Plus, filling in the insert songs they couldn't license was a good decision on BW's part. Those scenes are really damn weird in Funi's dub, where they either have to add tons of extra dialogue that arguably actually takes away from the scene, or they just go along with a very empty-sounding section of episode.

Still, to each their own. This is only my take, but I'm fairly confident in it; the more professional production of Blue Water's dub, combined with its generally more-accurate scripting, just makes it an obvious winner compared to the amateurish mess of Funi's dub, in my eyes.
MasenkoHA wrote:I really wish the BLT dub had gotten a chance on Fox Kids with all 153 episodes even if the music would have been replaced and the content edited to meet broadcast standards it would have been a fun kitschy 90s kid action-adventure cartoon and maybe Dragon Ball would have gotten more respect in the West.
What the BLT dub got already was given a decent chance, and in fact I recall hearing reports that the ratings were rather good, though I can't find that info myself at this time. There's no real way of knowing why Funimation cut their initial 26-episode order of Dragon Ball down to 13, and then switched to Saban and did Z, but I don't think it was a case of Dragon Ball failing. I think Funi just didn't like working with BLT and/or Trimark and/or the producers they were working with at Dick And Rogers(I'm unsure on the details here, but as I understand it, a different studio and group of Canadian producers were working on Dragon Ball from the guys Funimation got from Ocean for Z. Michael Donovan and Doug Parker did script and direction work for DB, but not only did neither do those duties in Z, their characters in the show were recast too; Parker gave up Shen Long to Don Brown, Donovan gave up Roshi to Ian Corlett)... Whatever happened, I don't think Z's initial ratings were that much better than DB's for its 26-episode order, and yet not only did it finish that order, but when combined with the traction it built up over its run, and in the reruns that followed, it was considered quite a success, leading to season 2 being extended to 29 episodes(Including the 3-part Tree Of Might special), which were also a rather big hit.

The idea that Dragon Ball only became a success when Toonami ran Z in 1999 is one of many, many, many cases of revisionist history in the Dragon Ball fandom that has no evidence behind it. Meanwhile, on Kanzenshuu, there's clear evidence to the contrary... "Currently syndicated in the US by Saban Domestic Distribution in its Saban’s Kids Block, DRAGON BALL Z is being broadcast in over 85% of the country with top ratings for a weekly syndicated series (especially in they [sic] key boys 6-11 demographic). [...]"

Anyway, point is, I don't think any chance that involved the companies it did would have saved the BLT dub. If they'd somehow come to some arrangement with Saban to do OG DB, it still would have most certainly been cut short, though it would have run closer to 80 episodes instead of Dragon Ball's 13, or Z's 56. We'd end up with starting with DB, but there's no reason to believe anything else would have been different about the situation.
MasenkoHA wrote:It is shame that they didn’t have the Ocean cast just pick up where they left off and finish Dragon Ball.
Wouldn't have happened. If the Westwood dubbing of the Dragon Ball franchise hadn't moved to Blue Water, there's nothing to suggest they would have handled anything else differently. Remember, the decision to move the voices was from Ken Morrison, head of Ocean, who I've heard wanted to give GT and DB to Blue Water to give the then-young studio a bit project. So, things probably would have been the same in terms of the scripts they worked off, the episodes they dubbed, the video masters they used, etc.

Still, yes, it would've been great if they'd kept the DB and GT Westwood dubs in Vancouver, but if wishes were horses...
MasenkoHA wrote:Also want to add from what little I heard I prefer BW King Piccolo over Chris Sabat
Well, Chris Sabat sucked as Piccolo Daimao. :lol:

I love Chris Sabat, I think he's great as Vegeta now, but his Piccolo Daimao in DB sucked. Meanwhile, the guy they got from BW was actually kind of great.
I think this disclaimer is here because of me. I dont blame you because I did think you and Danfun were fighting last time . LOL.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:36 am

Robo4900 wrote:I believe you and I even at one point discussed the general feeling of Funi DB being a sort of "BEFORE ZEE, BEFORE GEETEE, THERE WAS DRAGON BALL!!", while BW DB is more of an honest presentation of Dragon Ball, delivered under certain limitations.
It's funny you should say that as it reminded me of this old Toonami UK promo for Blue Water DB. I remember seeing an earlier version of this promo for the Pilaf saga and getting crazy excited. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYdsaJURm4U

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:59 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think this disclaimer is here because of me. I dont blame you because I did think you and Danfun were fighting last time . LOL.
Haha. It can easily look like that without context, so... Dropping a disclaimer in is probably a good idea even without you specifically in mind. :lol:
90sDBZ wrote:It's funny you should say that as it reminded me of this old Toonami UK promo for Blue Water DB. I remember seeing an earlier version of this promo for the Pilaf saga and getting crazy excited. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYdsaJURm4U
Yes, indeed. :lol:

Funny how marketing can be sometimes.
MasenkoHA wrote:From my understanding they skipped to Z because they thought it was a better fit for the US market i.e it would make them more money.

When I say it wasn’t given a fair chance I mean Funimation cancelled it and then jumped ahead to DBZ. And even still I found the BLT dub is rather obscure to casual fans nowadays.
The only place you'll find "They skipped to Z because they thought it fit the US market better" is places that use baseless fan assumption as their primary source of information. In other words, Dragon Ball Wikia.

Even working with speculation and assumption, it's much more reasonable to assume DB was tied up with BLT, and Z seemed a more attractive option to present to Saban for the programming they were going for.
MasenkoHA wrote:Well minor correction it came on Toonami in 1998 the in-house dub just didnt start airing until Fall of 99.
Indeed. I must ask for forgiveness in my problems with getting precise dating pinned down; the times all this happened are a bugger to exactly find. :lol:
MasenkoHA wrote:Minor tangent this is why it annoys me when Faulconer fanbois insist Faulconer’s music made Z popular in America. We know that isn’t true because the show was a huge hit on Toonami with the Wasserman score (and the Kikuchi score for the first two movies).
Abso-goddamn-lutely.

As I recall, most fan testimonials from the time point to a general dislike for the in-house move. But for the casual fans, the important thing was it was more Dragon Ball, so they didn't really care much... See also: Fans being totally okay with the UK going Saban > Funi > Westwood with a brief interlude into Funi again during the Fusion saga.
The thing people got into wasn't the Faulconer score, it wasn't the Funi cast, it was Dragon Ball Z. Funi and Faulconer were merely something the fans tolerated to enjoy more Dragon Ball after the first two seasons.
MasenkoHA wrote:And yes I do believe DBZ did well in syndication it just did much better once it got to Toonami. I saw an interview somewhere it was the number one kids syndicated show?
Yes, I believe I linked it in my post. :)
MasenkoHA wrote:Well more so I wish we had gotten an entire series with that cast doing Dragon Ball
Agreed. Westwood not doing GT and DB with the Vancouver cast is the single greatest missed opportunity in Dragon Ball dubbing, in my opinion. Not necessarily for how great it would have been, Pioneer's uncut Z dub would have probably been even better in terms of dubbing, but Westwood doing DB and GT in Vancouver was a real near-miss, and a massive shame. If Ken Morrison, head of Ocean, hadn't somewhat arbitrarily decided to move Dragon Ball to Blue Water, then this would have been a reality.
MasenkoHA wrote:He was definitely pretty good. The Blue Water guy I mean.
Agreed. He was a lot of fun.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 am

Robo4900 wrote: The only place you'll find "They skipped to Z because they thought it fit the US market better" is places that use baseless fan assumption as their primary source of information. In other words, Dragon Ball Wikia.
Why did you decide to skip ahead to Dragon Ball Z for this fall's TV season? In other words, why did you decide not to continue producing English episodes of the earlier, first series? Do you ever intend to go back and fill in some of the Dragon Ball episodes you skipped, perhaps for home video?
It was a combination of factors-it doesn't mean that we'll never go back and do Dragon Ball again-'cause we may go back later and re-introduce Dragon Ball. But Dragon Ball Z is much more action-packed, and so in some ways it's a really good fit for the U.S. market today. Our desire would be not to do the other Dragon Ball episodes for video release only, but rather to have them appear on television. [CBF]

http://dbzu.3gkai.com/opinions/taketen.html

Granted, looking at it again I think I misinterpreted the quote. Sounds more like “There’s some business political reasons we don’t feel like getting into but HEY America audiences will like DBZ better anyways so who cares?”