What if Dragon Ball was about High School life?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

What if Dragon Ball was about High School life?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:28 pm

Think on it… how do you think they'd be like?

[spoiler]ImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

If it did, I think it should be revolved around Generation 2:

Son Goku (freshmen; age:15): Top school athlete, loveable oaf socially, expert in martial arts, and barely average student (much to his adoptive grandfather's dismay)

Kuririn (sophomore; age:16): Goku's best friend, good-natured but a bit smart-mouthed and socially cautious

Bulma (junior; age:17-18): Goku's 2nd best friend, tech savvy, a bit of a lovable alpha bitch (she talks down to Yajirobe, Oolong, and sometimes Kuririn but very helpful towards everyone notably Chi-Chi), and top-notch student

Oolong (freshmen; age:15): Pervert and below-average student

Yamcha (junior; age:17): A (wannabe) delinquent but is actually a nice guy, thinks he and Vegeta are rivals but Vegeta doesn't take him seriously in the slightest, has a troubled home, and has a massive crush on Bulma (and later Chi-Chi) but is extremely shy around females due to his older sisters bullying him all the time

Puar (freshmen; age:13): Yamcha's assistant flying blue-cat (tutor) and best freind

Chi-Chi (freshmen; age:15): Tohoku resident, New in town, daddy's little girl, also expert in martial arts, good student, deceivingly quick to anger, tomboyish but tries to be feminine, and crush on Goku (but can't express it well)

Lunch (senior; age:18): A close friend of Bulma's who struggles with multiple personality disorder and the second, more dangerous personailty has a crush on Tenshinhan

Piccolo (freshmen; age:2): A lone wolf, misunderstood, expert martial artist, and super top-notch student

Vegeta (senior; age:18): A widely feared delinquent, aggressive, beats Yamcha easily every time they fight, envious of Goku, and also has a troubled home

Raditz (senior; age:18): School bully and is friends with Vegeta even though Vegeta doesn't seem to respect him at all (his hidden cowardice)

Nappa: The harsh school conculer who gives questionable advice to the students

Lapis (sophomore; age:16): The adventurous and reckless twin brother of Lazuli, also a delinquent, is Vegeta's true rival, and is very protective of his sister

Lazuli (sophomore; age:16): An ice queen, object of Kuririn's affection which she rarely requates, and is extremely close to her twin brother with her being the more level-headed one

Yajirobe (age:16; sophomore): Leader of the kendo club, samurai otaku, big appetite, and is a coward especially around Vegeta

Mr. Satan (age:16; sophomore): Leader of the martial arts club, casanova wannabe, and acts tough (like bragging about being able to beat Vegeta) but is actually a coward especially around Vegeta

Tenshinhan (age:17; junior): One of the school's top-ahletes, stoic, and has a rivalry (furious originally but then friendly) with Goku

Chaozu (age:15; freshmen): Tenshinhan's personal coach and best friend

Muten Roshi: Perverted Gym teacher

Karin: One of the school teachers and has a no-nonsense attitude especially towards Yajirobe (who he knows has a lot of potential and he really wants him to succeed)

Mr. Popo: School principle

Kami: Superintendent
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Re: What if Dragon Ball was about High School life?

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:34 pm

If Goku was educated, he wouldn't have gotten married. Probably.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:53 pm

I admit this actually sounds interesting.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm

I actually had an idea a while back about a parody manga like this. Instead of Super Saiyans they became "Super Scholars" and their academic ability went through the roof, battle powers were grades, etc.

Although, that would mean Goku would have to be the smartest character. That would be pretty strange.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:21 pm

We already got this. It was called Dragon Ball Evolution.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:56 pm

As a completely offbeat, comedic parody, I'd be all for it. Hell, I'd love to see something like that, so long as the main series went on as well (or at least that the high school AU version became the only thing we ever got anymore, I mean).

I mean, I'd want the characters to still feel like the characters though, so definitely not an Evolution situation hopefully. Maybe something more like good ol' Little Saiyalings.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:02 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:We already got this. It was called Dragon Ball Evolution.
you beat me to it. :lol:

But that doesn't mean this is a bad idea for a mini-series or special. Even Attack on Titan has a High School AU series. It would work best as a comedy, very slapstick, but I think it could work. OP's written bio on everyone would be how I think it would go, I would like to add some

Freeza runs the city gang. He has something on Vegeta that makes him keep running back to him.

Dr. Gero is Lapis and Lazuli's dad, and Perfect Cell is their test dog. Goku broke Gero's experiement once when his baseball went through a window in his lab. Gero never quite forgave him. 16 is the oldest son who went to America, he visits sometimes, he doesn't care for Goku much but really likes Krillin, tries to help him with Lazuli.

Buu is the mayor of the city. (Think Adam West from Family Guy)

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Roshi would never be allowed anywhere near children.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:10 pm

I'm not ready for this.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:16 pm

I would enjoy something similar as Gohan in early Boo Arc, he would be the main character: a 16 years old teenager with super powers trying to live like a normal person in the society (without the Great Saiyaman stuff)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:40 pm

If everyone's personalities were the same I'd totally watch this lol

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:00 am

Dunno about the rest of you, but I say if there's one thing that Japanese anime as a medium absolutely, unquestionably, desperately, achingly needs ungodly amounts much more of right now this very instant, its yet ANOTHER fluff anime set in a high school and focused on the lives, worries, and silly romantic comedy hijinks of flighty high schoolers. I mean, its been practically an ETERNITY since we've ever seen anything at all vaguely like that in an anime.

No really. We're starved, STARVED I tells ya, for more silly, goofy, over the top, giant-sweat-drop-filled, stereotype-laden, fanservice-loaded anime centered around a high school and its hormonal teenage students.

**NOTE** - That very last, bottom image? The actual name of that anime, and I swear I'm not making this up: "Daily Lives of High School Boys".

Seriously folks. MORE high school anime. Now, always, and forever. There can NEVER be enough. Its not even remotely close to tired, overdone, or played out yet.

At. All.

http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:17 am

Ah, but Kunzait_83, you're forgetting something. With Toriyama involved, this would be no ordinary high school set-piece. It would be a battle harem set-piece. It would the absolute best of three stereotypes. You get all of the battles with double the gags! The martial arts motivations would revolve around Son Goku's rivals attempting to reclaim the attention of women he's "stolen". He doesn't understand where the hatred is coming from nor does he even want who everyone is challenging him for. However, as long as he gets to fight against strong schools, he'll accept any challenge, all the while utilizing Gohan's training to avoid any carnivorous women on his way home. It'll be a romp.

That inspired piece I wrote aside, I wouldn't really be interested in a narrative about high school life. It's overdone for my tastes.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:54 am

Kunzait just laying the smackdown once again!! :lol: :lol:

Amazing. This forum is better with you and your posts :D
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:24 am

I'm with kunzait
Vegeta: "what are these feelings...?"
:sick: :sick: :sick:

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:41 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:**NOTE** - That very last, bottom image? The actual name of that anime, and I swear I'm not making this up: "Daily Lives of High School Boys".
You actually had Daily Lives of High School Boys in there twice. (And for the record, despite the overabundance of anime set in high schools, that show was freakin' hilarious.)

Also, it's not fair including Shirobako in there when the high school part of the story was less than five minutes before the story spent 24 whole episodes on their adult careers.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:31 am

The anime whould be trash, nobody likes Slice of Life animes.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:55 am

It would be interesting to watch, if they make it as a OVA, like Fairy Tail's OVa Nr2, which is exactly like that, a High School Life :thumbup:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:17 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
AHHH! MY EYES, the goggles do nothing!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:53 am

This is really interesting, I have to say.