GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Re: GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:49 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Unless it's factually wrong like saying Kanye sucks, that's just false, and I'll fight you if you say otherwise.
Kany sucks.
FIGHT! FIGHT!
OH Wait!
You said Kany, not Kanye, well no reason to get the popcorn then :P
Damm it i failed my purpose, i'm a worthless pathetic saiyan (now i'll sit here and wait for my legendary transformation)
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:34 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Unless it's factually wrong like saying Kanye sucks, that's just false, and I'll fight you if you say otherwise.
Kany sucks.
I'm assuming this is a joke, but if it's not, will then you are lost. Nas, (the GOAT) said Ye saved Rap, Rakim (the god MC) has said he loves him as a artist, Q-Tip likes him, Jay likes him, Ice Cube likes him, Em, Weezy, Raekwon, RZA, Paul Mccartney, Lupe, Adele, Mos Def, Pusha T, Cudi, DJ Premier, Pete Rock, etc, all like him/and or respect him. And The College Dropout, and MBDTF all some of the greatest rap albums ever. Plus 808s is basically the Blueprint for rappers like Drake.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:01 pm

I know Super had animation/art issues before, but it's really improving with the time. GT always kept on the same level which is not a bad thing, but not a good either.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:51 am

The recent two episodes of Super, the ones with Freeza, have literally blown away anything in GT.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:15 am

Fortunately GT never had the idea of bringing anything that resembles Broly
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:52 am

GT wasn't near as bad power scaling

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:15 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:They're both hit and miss, but GT hits more than it misses, while Super misses more than it hits. Super can't have any massive paradigm shifts because it's set itself in the timeskip, whereas GT didn't restrict itself like that. The events in GT can actually have consequences, whereas with Super the status quo must be maintained the entire time. There's no suspense for the main characters. Gohan in peril? We already know he'll live. Universe 7 at risk? Again, not really, since we know they're alive by the time of EoZ.
To elaborate on this, GT actually, y'know, kills off characters and keeps them dead, like Piccolo. It also ends the franchise nicely, showing the next generation. Super gives the impression that parts of it were made to spite GT just because. Kibitoshin defusing was just..inconsequential to anything. You could have the exact same story with Kibitoshin still fused.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:31 am

Noah wrote:Fortunately GT never had the idea of bringing anything that resembles Broly
At least no one said she's like Broly so the movies are still "none canon".
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:46 am

sintzu wrote:At least no one said she's like Broly so the movies are still "non canon".
Both Super and the movies are non canon, a mention to Broly wouldn't change anything.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:They're both hit and miss, but GT hits more than it misses, while Super misses more than it hits. Super can't have any massive paradigm shifts because it's set itself in the timeskip, whereas GT didn't restrict itself like that. The events in GT can actually have consequences, whereas with Super the status quo must be maintained the entire time. There's no suspense for the main characters. Gohan in peril? We already know he'll live. Universe 7 at risk? Again, not really, since we know they're alive by the time of EoZ.
To elaborate on this, GT actually, y'know, kills off characters and keeps them dead, like Piccolo. It also ends the franchise nicely, showing the next generation. Super gives the impression that parts of it were made to spite GT just because. Kibitoshin defusing was just..inconsequential to anything. You could have the exact same story with Kibitoshin still fused.

This x1000. At the moment GT is definitely the better series imo

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Spencer_23 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:

Speaking of which, where the hell is kibito??

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:50 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Spencer_23 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote: To elaborate on this, GT actually, y'know, kills off characters and keeps them dead, like Piccolo. It also ends the franchise nicely, showing the next generation. Super gives the impression that parts of it were made to spite GT just because. Kibitoshin defusing was just..inconsequential to anything. You could have the exact same story with Kibitoshin still fused.

Speaking of which, where the hell is kibito??

He's not fanservicey enough I guess lol

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Spencer_23 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:

It made more sense for them to defuse so we could see them among the added God hierarchy, besides, Kabitokai or whatever his name is never did anything important to begin with and his design is ugly.

More over it's kinda hard to keep people dead in Super when we know most of them are alive and well at EOZ. Overall for me Super has been way more enjoyable than GT. GT actually found ways to make fights more boring than the filler in Z, and that's saying something.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:13 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
Spencer_23 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote: To elaborate on this, GT actually, y'know, kills off characters and keeps them dead, like Piccolo. It also ends the franchise nicely, showing the next generation. Super gives the impression that parts of it were made to spite GT just because. Kibitoshin defusing was just..inconsequential to anything. You could have the exact same story with Kibitoshin still fused.

It made more sense for them to defuse so we could see them among the added God hierarchy, besides, Kabitokai or whatever his name is never did anything important to begin with and his design is ugly.

More over it's kinda hard to keep people dead in Super when we know most of them are alive and well at EOZ. Overall for me Super has been way more enjoyable than GT. GT actually found ways to make fights more boring than the filler in Z, and that's saying something.
And Super has less sense of danger than the Garlic Jr arc

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Really? Even with the TOP arc? Never mind the fact that Garlic JR was defeated in his arc the exact same way he was in his film.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:21 pm

This thread has become the "hot takes thread" lately. Every time there's a really good Super episode, someone bumps the thread to trash GT and every time there's a controversial Super episode, someone bumps it to trash DBS. It's kind of funny to watch.
2 weeks from now, Jiren or whoever will make something cool and this will be bumped with someone saying "GT never did anything as good as this". 2 weeks after that, some questionable power related thing will happen or maybe Vegeta gets beaten or something and we'll get the "say what you want about GT, but they never made anything as stupid as this" bump.
The funny thing to me is that most of the people who come back and bump the thread have long ago made up their minds about which one they like more, so they are just waiting the oportunity to trash whichever series they don't like, basically "see, I told you X was better than that Y garbage". This fanbase is so petty sometimes.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:20 pm

emi_b7 wrote:This fanbase is so petty sometimes.
I don't agree with that, I think most are looking for a discussion since GT ended long ago and Super is still running...

Gonna leave this here:
KidGoku>3 wrote:I know this isn't a popular opinion but as much as I disliked GT I think it had more enjoyable moments than Super so far.
The 100th episode should have been much better imo. Ill keep watching in the hope that somewhere along the lines theyll right the wrongs but 100 episodes in I'm not that optimistic anymore.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:05 pm

How can GT have more enjoyable moments? it only have 64 episodes and and the first arc is a snore fest...

even with the battle of gods retelling, super has more memorable moments on his first arc vs GT first arc, and in my opinion has a lot more overall

BOG Arc:

*Slice of life episodes

*The introduction of Beerus and Whis

*The second Goku vs Beerus fight

Resurection F Arc

*This arc sucked but at last had the Vegeta Vs Freeza fight

Champa Arc

*The Vegeta fights

*Goku Vs Hit

Future Trunks Arc:

*The introduction of black

*Trunks Vs Goku

*The introduction of Ssj Rose and the first fight on the future

*The trunks moments when he turns Hikari

*The vegeta moment vs rose when he owns him

*Rose moment when he use the scythe technique

*Father and son garlic gun

*Merged Zamasu Vs Vegitto

*Genki dama sword trunks

Tournament of power arc:

*All exivition matches

*The Krilling and 18 Episode

*The 17 episode

*The Gohan Vs Piccolo

*The Gohan Vs Goku

*Freeza and Goku moment on Hell

*The return of Freeza and his fight

*Goku and Vegeta defeating the dangerous trio

*the roshi moments

*freeza moments

*Goku vs Jiren

*Goku vs Califla and Kale

*Goku vs Kefla

*18 and 17 vs universe 2

*the Gohan and Piccolo vs universe 6 namekians / Goku, 17 and 18 vs universe 2

*Goku, Vegeta, 17, Freeza and Gohan Vs Aniraza

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, and i'm sure not everyone will accept all this moments, but even if you only like less than half of this, how many moments GT had?

I dont remember many, but please, correct me if I'm wrong.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:08 pm

By sheer entertainment value alone Super is far superior to GT.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:08 am

YamiGoku wrote:How can GT have more enjoyable moments? it only have 64 episodes and and the first arc is a snore fest...
Pretty simple to me. It's a snorefest but at least they tried something new. I prefer it when a series does something daring but fails than when something tries to play it safe but still fails. The first 2 arcs of Super were just terrible. Zero creativity (who the hell thought bringing Frieza back with a different color scheme was a good idea or making Goku's newest transformation after 30 years? basically SS1 Goku with blue hair) and worst of all, unacceptably bad animation. I understand bad animation but I don't know what you would call that Goku vs Frieza fight.

I enjoyed Goku's SS4 transformation more than SSB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luxoEuUNEg4, liked seeing the characters grown up instead of them not aging at all like Goten and Trunks in Super and liked the villains more too. Zamasu was pretty good if we ignore how his arc ended and the fact that Black is another Goku doppelganger. But Baby and Omega > Golden colored Freeza in depth and design. Hit is another Pikkon, a no-nonsense rival but honorable rival to Goku. I thought Nuova had more depth to him than Hit too.

Lastly too much fanservice like making movie villains canon through doppelganger characters. Everything in Super is dictated by fan service. You guys like making fun of Yamcha? We do too. You guys want to see Goku get a heartfelt moment with his teacher Muten Roshi? You got it. You guys want to see a female super saiyan? Yep, make sure you buy her figurines though. Frieza has always been the most popular villain? Ok, we'll bring him back again. Hey, Future Trunks is a fan favorite? Toriyama, write a story with him in it. A lot of it doesn't work and feels like a cheap way to sell merchandise and pander to nostalgia. I love me some fan service but only if it's done right. Super relies to heavily on it and suffers from a lack of original ideas. Go watch the first arc of GT and you'll see all the wonderful new character/world designs that Toei created even if you found it boring.

Super has had its moments. Jiren vs Goku was the most hyped I've ever been and some nice filler episodes inbetween arcs but the plot inconsistencies, animation problems (it's been good for the last 20 episodes but that doesn't excuse the first 40-50 episodes) and blatant fan service let it down to me.