GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:21 am

I feel like GT is actually super underappreciated. Like, it's still not very good...at all, but it gets way too much shit in my opinion. Super Saiyan 4 beats the everloving piss out of Super Saiyan Blue, that's for sure. I feel like it's such a shame that people just brush GT off as almost non-existent now that Super is a thing. There are still some really good parts of GT that should be appreciated and cherished equally if not more than Super. I really can't say which one is better.

GT is a lot more consistent with its characters, art, and animation. It follows and really feels like a sequel to EoZ. Baby and Omega are insanely interesting villains that are both executed...well, not too great. Super Saiyan 4 is possibly the best and most original Super Saiyan form out there.

Super is very inconsistent with its art and animation. Beerus and Whis are fantastic characters. The first two retellings are horrific. Universe 6 tournament was a good idea, OK execution. Future Trunks arc started off incredibly strong, and fell off a cliff into dogshit near the end. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is a boring looking recolor with a horrible name. New arc looks promising, although characterization of Goku in Super is horrible and is now beginning to veer off into different, equally as awful territories.

Basically, they're both very mediocre and are big disappointments. New arc is looking good so far, though. We'll see. If it came down to who had the better ideas (although not execution) and character designs, I'd say GT wins.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:48 am

I'm surprise people are saying good things about Yi Xing Long when most people never like him outside of his design. I still find most GT characters lackluster. With the U6 cast, I like that they had their own set of personality and I still remember. I forgot about characters like Ludd until Heroes did cards for them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:05 am

After FT Trunks arc, which became one of my favourite arcs of the entire franchise, the answer became obvious. Super is definitely better than GT.

I still like GT, like I always did. GT gave the perfect ending this franchise deserved after the stupid open ending DBZ had. I like endings that feel conclusive and makes me think "This
is it. There's nowhere to go now." GT ending nailed that feeling and the TV Special - A Hero's Legacy with Goku Jr just gave it a special touch to what I already thought it was a perfect ending.

When it comes to technical stuff, GT has the advantage of not having the same animation problems DBS had and the voice actors still being on their prime.
The soundtrack is also miles above Super too. GT Opening Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku is still my favourite japanese song ever and it's considered a hymn by the community here in my country.

About Super animation and excluding Movies, I believe the highest parts (SSB Goku/SSJ FT Trunks vs SSR Black/Zamasu, SSB Vegetto vs Merged Zamasu...) rank among the best animation parts of the franchise. The problem is that the lows (SSJ2 Goku vs Beerus, Base Goku vs Freeza, Goku vs Botamo...) hit the bottom as the worst thing ever.

As for characters, plot, world building, and fights, Super does it much better.
GT had great ideas though. I would still like to have the Evil Dragons arc done right, with interesting characters created by Toriyama and a better use of the cast, instead of just Goku/Pan for almost the entire arc.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:34 pm

I wonder if people would find funny if Goku used SSJ4 in his brief sparring match with Krillin back in GT and lost :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:14 pm

I think it would be fair to compare when Super ends, my opinion now is that I like Super better even though GT had more consistency
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:I think it would be fair to compare when Super ends, my opinion now is that I like Super better even though GT had more consistency
In terms of animation, VA performances (from the Japanese cast), music, and art-style quality, I would agree.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon May 08, 2017 2:59 pm

If we go by main character, then i prefer Jesus Goku to Asshole/Retard Goku, so GT wins :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon May 08, 2017 3:13 pm

New thoughts, if the Universe Survival arc were to be the last arc for Super:
If we're comparing GT to Super, as it exists strictly as a serialized TV show, then I have to absolutely give it to GT. With the episodes that already exist, GT does more worthwhile stuff with the characters in much less time (I'm saying this, even if the Universe Survival arc were to end in Super in the way I'd most enjoy seeing). GT gets away with being a new serial because it's moving forward in a new era; it's not constrained, from a storytelling perspective, to an already given ending. I think Super's TV anime drastically fails at pulling that off (largely because it's not intending to).

But if by Super I were to mean "the two films and Toyotaro's three manga arcs" then I'd have to put them on par I think. Super's films and manga, at least, are consumable in one sitting. As such, they work as a series of one-off side stories set within an already given and resolved era. I'd still probably recommend GT first, but at least "Super" (on this understanding) manages just as well to pull off what it's trying to do.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:I think it would be fair to compare when Super ends, my opinion now is that I like Super better even though GT had more consistency
In terms of animation, VA performances (from the Japanese cast), music, and art-style quality, I would agree.
GT had more consistency in every aspect period. Objectively when you look at both shows GT is better, but Super is more fun to watch; so basically all flash, no substance. That's sad really.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon May 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Zephyr wrote:New thoughts, if the Universe Survival arc were to be the last arc for Super:
If we're comparing GT to Super, as it exists strictly as a serialized TV show, then I have to absolutely give it to GT. With the episodes that already exist, GT does more worthwhile stuff with the characters in much less time (I'm saying this, even if the Universe Survival arc were to end in Super in the way I'd most enjoy seeing). GT gets away with being a new serial because it's moving forward in a new era; it's not constrained, from a storytelling perspective, to an already given ending. I think Super's TV anime drastically fails at pulling that off (largely because it's not intending to).

But if by Super I were to mean "the two films and Toyotaro's three manga arcs" then I'd have to put them on par I think. Super's films and manga, at least, are consumable in one sitting. As such, they work as a series of one-off side stories set within an already given and resolved era. I'd still probably recommend GT first, but at least "Super" (on this understanding) manages just as well to pull off what it's trying to do.
This is a post I agree with so fully I had to make sure I wasn't the author.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 4:26 pm

As much as Super doesn't handle the characters too well, I really feel like every character was royally screwed over in GT aside from Goku:

- Pan was ok for what she was, but she was largely treated as the typical female sidekick character rather than being a heroine in her own right. For being the granddaughter of Goku and the daughter of Gohan, you'd think the next in line of the Son family would get some huge arc or story potential...but she got nothing

- Trunks. Got screentime but didn't do much of anything. After they got back to Earth I remember him being pushed to the sidelines pretty quick.

- Gohan. Dear God, what happened here? If you thought Super treated Gohan poorly at the start, where the hell was he in GT? He literally did next to nothing

- Goten. Again, outside a few small roles he served no purpose

- Piccolo. Killed off quickly with little screentime

- Fat Buu. Essentially killed off when he fused back with Uub. I can't even remember anything Fat Buu did in GT

- Uub, outside the Baby finale he didn't get much focus elsewise.

- Krillin, treated poorly. Killed off again for no reason

- 18. Nice arc in Super 17, that was it.

- 17. Jesus Christ. They screwed him over completely. They made him into a villain and killed him off for good. What a sad ending for the character.

- Yamcha, Tien, Roshi, etc....all non-existent

GT's handling of the characters was absurd.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 08, 2017 4:46 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
GT had more consistency in every aspect period. Objectively when you look at both shows GT is better, but Super is more fun to watch; so basically all flash, no substance. That's sad really.
GT certainly never reached Super's low points, but it also never reached anywhere near Super's high points.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon May 08, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:52 pm

GTs the Man of Steel of the DB franchise, lots of good ideas conceptually bubling under the surface of okay execution that somewhat fluctuates up and down.

Super is the Iron Man 2, lots of flash and surface level enjoyment to be had but beneath is a mess of shit that's good, bad, mediocre and anything inbetween. And yes, Goku Black IS the Sam mother fucking Rockwell of Super ;)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 08, 2017 5:08 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:GTs the Man of Steel of the DB franchise, lots of good ideas conceptually bubling under the surface of okay execution that somewhat fluctuates up and down.

Super is the Iron Man 2, lots of flash and surface level enjoyment to be had but beneath is a mess of shit that's good, bad, mediocre and anything inbetween. And yes, Goku Black IS the Sam mother fucking Rockwell of Super ;)
You could honestly say that about a lot of Marvel products since the cinematic universe kicked off. :P

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:GTs the Man of Steel of the DB franchise, lots of good ideas conceptually bubling under the surface of okay execution that somewhat fluctuates up and down.

You could honestly say that about a lot of Marvel products since the cinematic universe kicked off. :P
IM2 is probably one of the few movies where it's such a good time on the surface that I tend to ignore it's faults entirely even if I'm aware of them. Super needs to go full-retard to do that for me now, like maybe bring in God Broly from the new 4-D attraction thing ;)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 08, 2017 5:32 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:

IM2 is probably one of the few movies where it's such a good time on the surface that I tend to ignore it's faults entirely even if I'm aware of them. Super needs to go full-retard to do that for me now, like maybe bring in God Broly from the new 4-D attraction thing ;)

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon May 08, 2017 5:42 pm

DBGT is better in every single way.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 5:48 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:DBGT is better in every single way.
Not every single way. Some aspects, sure, but all? Not by a long shot.

jaiOtaku

Post by jaiOtaku » Mon May 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Definitely Super,
I really didn't like GT, especially the beginning of the series.
GT just didn't feel like DBZ.
Super is not the best but in my opinion a step up from GT
My Anime & Dragon Ball webshop, Otakupicks
Use discount code OTAKU10 to get 10% off your order :)

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:00 pm

jaiOtaku wrote:Definitely Super,
I really didn't like GT, especially the beginning of the series.
GT just didn't feel like DBZ.
Super is not the best but in my opinion a step up from GT
DB doesn't feel like DBZ, so what's your point? Of course it didn't feel like DBZ. :wtf: DBGT had it's own style.

In regards to DBGT, Toei would often send their stories to Akira Toriyama, and he would give his advice on how he felt. Toei took risks with DBGT, and I absolutely enjoyed it (especially with the musical score). I know I'll get some hate for saying this, but that's how I feel.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People