GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Post by bleed0range » Wed May 17, 2017 1:43 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:
ABED wrote:How is it the worst possible ending?
The fact that you would ask is a sign that you just can't see it.

The hero, the guy that everyone has fallen in love with, is told that his time on earth is now over for transgressions against an unknown law, and is spirited away by shenron.

Sad only barely touches that one. It's like the writer wanted to end ALL OF DRAGON BALL by waving a gigantic F*** YOU to all of it's fans.
It was rather touching actually, it was implied that he died and since he is a reason so many threats keep attacking earth, it's best that he leaves. It's a bit like when he died during the cell arc. I know everything is different to other people, but it seems like the general consensus is that while GT isn't held in high regard, the ending is.
I feel like people give the GT ending way too much credit. Yeah it's kind of sad but it's also lazy writing. They don't have to explain what's happening to Goku or come up with anything they can just say wellllll maybe he died or maybeeee he didn't! But really, that's too easy to write.

I kind of am annoyed by how rushed the ending is and how it doesn't make any sense. It just suddenly happens with no explanations given and that's NOT good writing!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 17, 2017 2:29 pm

I feel like people give the GT ending way too much credit. Yeah it's kind of sad but it's also lazy writing. They don't have to explain what's happening to Goku or come up with anything they can just say wellllll maybe he died or maybeeee he didn't! But really, that's too easy to write.

I kind of am annoyed by how rushed the ending is and how it doesn't make any sense. It just suddenly happens with no explanations given and that's NOT good writing!
It doesn't suddenly happen. And Goku is dead or might as well be. He didn't come back for 100 years and even then it was only temporary. He clearly made a deal with Shen Long and had to leave as a part of that deal. That's the part that matters. How is that easy to write? I think your (and other's) big beef is that you don't know where he went and consider that bad writing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 17, 2017 6:56 pm

ABED wrote:

It doesn't suddenly happen. And Goku is dead or might as well be. He didn't come back for 100 years and even then it was only temporary. He clearly made a deal with Shen Long and had to leave as a part of that deal. That's the part that matters. How is that easy to write? I think your (and other's) big beef is that you don't know where he went and consider that bad writing.
You keep saying he "made a deal with Shenlong". That's only conjecture, there's nothing in the ending that actually suggest a deal, just that Goku had to go with Shenlong for some unbeknownst reason. The way you're framing it isn't in line with how it's portrayed in the actual show. I wouldn't go so far as to call it lazy, I don't even think it's necessarily a horrible ending, it just isn't consistent with anything, the precedent is non-existent. Perhaps if they had given Shenlong agency beforehand, or given him more power or importance than he actually had, or perhaps if we'd gotten a Movie 10-esque visual of shenlong's eyes glowing before Goku comes back with his Genki Dama, it would be better. What would really have made it brilliant is if the Evil Dragons spoke with more of a clear sense of familiarity, or maybe even a friendly, but backhanded tone, leading up to some foreshadowing of Goku's death (or whatever happened) as they made their way to the greater dragons. As-is, it's just kinda there, barely even attached to the rest of the series.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 17, 2017 7:46 pm

It's the obvious inference. Why else would specifically have to leave? The way it's portrayed in the show is he has to go with Shen Long and Goku had already knowingly agreed to go and he does so without a fight. I agree that the consequences should've been less vague and probably been known since the beginning, but old Kaioshin said overusing the DB's is problematic.

The Evil Dragons do speak with a sense of familiarity if I recall. They know the wishes they were created from.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 pm

ABED wrote:The Evil Dragons do speak with a sense of familiarity if I recall. They know the wishes they were created from.
When I say familiarity, I don't mean simply that they know who Goku is, or what wishes they come from. I meant in a more of a personable way. The Dragons actually knowing Goku would've made for such an interesting dynamic.
Retired.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed May 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Yeah the only one who seems to have a personal connection is Nova, but that's just because the four star ball was Goku's personal treasure from his grandpa.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Yeah the only one who seems to have a personal connection is Nova, but that's just because the four star ball was Goku's personal treasure from his grandpa.
Even with him, they failed to capitalize on it. Ugh... I really don't like being reminded how much I hate the second half of GT.
Retired.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed May 17, 2017 9:58 pm

I thought Nova and Goku's relationship was fine, the only downside is that Nova's death felt anti climatic. Then again another thing that was wasted on GT.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 18, 2017 6:39 am

How was his death anticlimactic?

Personal connections to the bad guys are often overrated.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 am

It felt like it didn't make an impact on Goku, he showed up to stall Omega, then he died because he got absorbed back. Maybe it's just me though.

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Thu May 18, 2017 10:42 am

Super, hands down. Even if the first to arcs are lame recreations of movies, and the U6 arc is pointless... after that,it'shonestly entertaining at least. GT's only good part was the music and Baby imo. But yeah, GT has better music
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick

hectorgf

Post by hectorgf » Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 pm

I think the correct question would be "which one is the "less" worst one" hahaha.

But GT is by far better than Super.
Super breaks all levels of fanfic series. GT has a really bad writing, but still has some good fights.

Dragon Ball Super is bad in every single topic: it's bad writing, all the characters were flanderized, the worst animation/direction I've ever seen, it's just..Awful...
Sorry for the bad English, it's not my native language ^^'

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat May 20, 2017 3:35 pm

hectorgf wrote: Dragon Ball Super is bad in every single topic: it's bad writing, all the characters were flanderized, the worst animation/direction I've ever seen, it's just..Awful...
I don't see how everyone is flanderized more now than in GT. The fact that they barely did anything with the original cast like Gohan, Piccolo, Buu, Goten, Yamcha/Tien were completely absent, and Vegeta did nothing for most of it, I'd say it handled the characters worse.

Also the animation of Super improved dramatically at the start of the Zamasu arc, and continued to get better from there.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 20, 2017 3:43 pm

hectorgf wrote:...the worst animation/direction I've ever seen, it's just..Awful...
Let's be fair, Super's direction from episode to episode is usually on-point. It's only when you zoom out and look at each arc that it seems to suffer. Also, while it's not consistently good, Super has provided some of the greatest cuts the show has ever had.
Retired.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 20, 2017 3:46 pm

hectorgf wrote:Dragon Ball Super is bad in every single topic: it's bad writing, all the characters were flanderized, the worst animation/direction I've ever seen, it's just..Awful...
If by this you meant how often characters in Super look like a parody of themselves in Z, then I wholeheartedly agree with you.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
hectorgf wrote:...the worst animation/direction I've ever seen, it's just..Awful...
Let's be fair, Super's direction from episode to episode is usually on-point. It's only when you zoom out and look at each arc that it seems to suffer. Also, while it's not consistently good, Super has provided some of the greatest cuts the show has ever had.
You forgot three more cuts.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm unsure what exactly what you are trying to point out with those clips.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:01 pm

ABED wrote:I'm unsure what exactly what you are trying to point out with those clips.
Basically good bits of animation from throughout Super's current run.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 20, 2017 6:31 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm unsure what exactly what you are trying to point out with those clips.
Basically good bits of animation from throughout Super's current run.
Yes. Those posts were made in relation to the comment made that Super has "the worst animation/direction I've ever seen".

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
You forgot three more cuts.
Those are fine, but I can think of older cuts that far surpass them. Still, DBS isn't an ugly series anymore. It's a complaint from the fairly distant past at this point.
Retired.