GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Up until the Black arc, Super was a piece of garbage. I can't even watch the dub version on Toonami, yet I love tuning into Kai - Final Chapters. GT is just generally painfully boring. From the Black arc and on, Super has become enjoyable, as long as you shut off your brain and disregard all the retcons, inconsistencies, and, most of all, power gaps.

From a viewing perspective, Super wins. I do respect GT's tone during major battles, as well as its take on the mythos, but it was such a poorly executed bore from beginning to end. Super is all over the place, but at least it's pretty fun now.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:30 pm

IMO Super has been almost consistently great(minus a few episodes here and there) since episode 47 so I'd have to go with Super.

Not to mention Super has a manga version,while not perfect, is at least fun to read every month.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Not as bad as the Ep4 cantina thugs being in it :P
Forgot about that.
Don't forget the Darth Vader scene at the end of the movie. Did that really need to happen?
Actually I wish we had more of this in SW franchise. Darth Vader is a iconic figure, but he's only a true badass in EU comics and games, I so would wish for Great Jedi Purge spin off with him as the main character, but probably never gonna happen.

Back to DB, I agree with fadeddreams5 that Super is somewhat more enjoyable than GT in the Future Trunks arc, but the finale killed for me, so I see both as evens.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed May 31, 2017 2:22 am

I think that in the future people will treat Super a bit like the original Gundam. The movies will be the preferable method for watching the first two arcs and then Super proper will be from the U6 tournament onward.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:07 pm

hectorgf wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Well, Dragon Ball already have a universe and a logic inside it. Even if that logic isn't great, there are possible explanations for things like Trunks learning the Mafuba so fast as he did. Foreshadowing is not always necessary.

Also, can you list all or most of those episodical incoherences or big bullshits? Cause I don't remember of them being in every episode, really.

And, the "how to make a fanservice stuff" it seems to me more a personal thing than a problem. I really liked when, as the example I used before, Goku used the instant transmission Kamehameha on Toppo. It was obvious, but didn't affected the story, or the storytelling, or anything like it. It was just a reference that you can ignore or not.
Being honest, the only one that I think it passed the limit was that Genki-dama Sword Trunks used to defeat Merged Zamasu. That was purely based in the "power of friendship and humanbeing hopes", without many logical explanations even in the Dragon Ball universe. But well, even the original series did a few crap or weird stuff like that before. And I'm not counting GT or the old movies on that.

Things aren't that simple. So they can just appear with a third Goku son, that never appeared in Dragon Ball because he was training in another planet or that Bulma always had a sist-oh wait...It had already happened. Don't you see how poor is it? Even with the explanation, it's still really dumb and cheap.

Oh, don't get me wrong, this scene of the instant transmission was great too, because it was pretty fast, and it was coherent.

And of course I won't tell you every single error. It's almost 100 episodes so far.
But right now I remember these ones: The plot armor that Trunks and Mai got, Krillin and Goku getting hurt by a shot, Piccolo eating, Gohan telling Goku that he will become a father, but Goku already knew it, the paradox in Black arc.
I assume that a sister for Bulma isn't the kind of thing that we can really accept. If Tights was a cousin or something like that it would be more acceptable. But since Toriyama did other kind of stuff before like excluding Lunch from the secondary cast without explanation, I don't see it as big or horrible deal.

The plot armor about Trunks and Mai is strange when we see it in first place, but Black/Zamasu wasn't really informed about earth technologies and stuff, so I think he underestimated them.

Krillin wasn't in his total power when he got a shot. And if I remember the same goes to Goku.

Piccolo eating is an error, but is the kind of stuff we can just ignore.

The paradox in Black arc was weird, I know. But well, a time travel, in concepcion, it's a paradox too. Anyway, the manga handled it better.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:33 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
Well, Dragon Ball already have a universe and a logic inside it. Even if that logic isn't great, there are possible explanations for things like Trunks learning the Mafuba so fast as he did. Foreshadowing is not always necessary.

Also, can you list all or most of those episodical incoherences or big bullshits? Cause I don't remember of them being in every episode, really.

And, the "how to make a fanservice stuff" it seems to me more a personal thing than a problem. I really liked when, as the example I used before, Goku used the instant transmission Kamehameha on Toppo. It was obvious, but didn't affected the story, or the storytelling, or anything like it. It was just a reference that you can ignore or not.
Being honest, the only one that I think it passed the limit was that Genki-dama Sword Trunks used to defeat Merged Zamasu. That was purely based in the "power of friendship and humanbeing hopes", without many logical explanations even in the Dragon Ball universe. But well, even the original series did a few crap or weird stuff like that before. And I'm not counting GT or the old movies on that.

Things aren't that simple. So they can just appear with a third Goku son, that never appeared in Dragon Ball because he was training in another planet or that Bulma always had a sist-oh wait...It had already happened. Don't you see how poor is it? Even with the explanation, it's still really dumb and cheap.

Oh, don't get me wrong, this scene of the instant transmission was great too, because it was pretty fast, and it was coherent.

And of course I won't tell you every single error. It's almost 100 episodes so far.
But right now I remember these ones: The plot armor that Trunks and Mai got, Krillin and Goku getting hurt by a shot, Piccolo eating, Gohan telling Goku that he will become a father, but Goku already knew it, the paradox in Black arc.
The cheesy animation in DB Super looks like something you'd see on the Disney channel for toddlers. :lol: You can't take it seriously :lol: Now they've made Goku team up with Freeza :lol:

DBGT is way better.
I'm sorry, but this is far from be a good criticism. Very far.
fadeddreams5 wrote:Up until the Black arc, Super was a piece of garbage. I can't even watch the dub version on Toonami, yet I love tuning into Kai - Final Chapters. GT is just generally painfully boring. From the Black arc and on, Super has become enjoyable, as long as you shut off your brain and disregard all the retcons, inconsistencies, and, most of all, power gaps.

From a viewing perspective, Super wins. I do respect GT's tone during major battles, as well as its take on the mythos, but it was such a poorly executed bore from beginning to end. Super is all over the place, but at least it's pretty fun now.
Sorry, but the tournment was good. I think that was even better than Black's arc. Actually I think that, until now, it was the best arc in Super.

Black was enjoyable until that Spirit Sword stuff Trunks used on Merged Zamasu.

hectorgf

Post by hectorgf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:01 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
I assume that a sister for Bulma isn't the kind of thing that we can really accept. If Tights was a cousin or something like that it would be more acceptable. But since Toriyama did other kind of stuff before like excluding Lunch from the secondary cast without explanation, I don't see it as big or horrible deal.

The plot armor about Trunks and Mai is strange when we see it in first place, but Black/Zamasu wasn't really informed about earth technologies and stuff, so I think he underestimated them.

Krillin wasn't in his total power when he got a shot. And if I remember the same goes to Goku.

The paradox in Black arc was weird, I know. But well, a time travel, in concepcion, it's a paradox too. Anyway, the manga handled it better.
Tights is not a big problem but still is a problem. It was just an example of these things that came from nothing. It's poor writing.

You're creating explanations, not using the information that the show gave us (because they gave us nothing). Trunks have escaped from Black more than 3 times, even Mai he let escape several times. He can reach face a super saiyan 2 in the base form, dude, he can just wink and everyone is dead, hahaha.

If we are gonna think this way, even GT doesn't have any errors. Because we need just make out an explanation for every incoherence of the series.
Sorry for the bad English, it's not my native language ^^'

hectorgf

Post by hectorgf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:32 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Sorry, but the tournment was good. I think that was even better than Black's arc. Actually I think that, until now, it was the best arc in Super.

The tournament was mediocre.It resumed to battles, and battles depend on animation, and the only some short cuts from Vegeta vs Magetta made by Masahiro Shimanuki, and the battle with Hit was good or enjoyable.
In general, the only episodes that were kind of good was Vegeta vs Cabba (but just because of the emotional charge because the animation was terrible), Vegeta vs Hit and Goku vs Hit (just the first part of the fight, until the Kamehameha Kaioh-ken part).

But I agree with you that is better than Black's arc, I really can't think anything worse than this arc including every single anime show I've ever seen, but I think the new arc has potential to overcome it because this recruitment arc is an offense
Sorry for the bad English, it's not my native language ^^'

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:21 pm

GT is my favorite series of them all, honestly. Baby, the SS4 form.. I loved it. I consider it canon whether others do or not, as plenty of it actually is connected and/or relevant to Super, and Akiro had involvement in it.

Aside from the Resurrection F arc I didn't like much of Super, that was til' we reached Zamasu, then it became intense and I had nothing but love for it.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:28 pm

:D
DrakenballP wrote:GT is my favorite series of them all, honestly. Baby, the SS4 form.. I loved it. I consider it canon whether others do or not, as plenty of it actually is connected and/or relevant to Super, and Akiro had involvement in it.
Not really. The only relevant connectionn to Super are some suspicious, but surface level commonalities (New Dragon Balls, Vegetto Blue plays out very similarly to SS4 Gogeta, The One-Starred Dragon gave a similar "You created me" speech to Goku as Zamasu gave to Trunks, etc).

As for Toriyama's involvement, he drew some of the initial designs, and a few planets if I remember right. He also sketched an SS4 Goku for the Dragon Box, but that was the end of his involvement.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:54 am

The only other similarities I can see is Universe 3 reminds me of the machine mutants in GT. General Rildo, Dr. Myuu, all those robots....seems somewhat similar to Universe 3 in Super.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:20 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:

The cheesy animation in DB Super looks like something you'd see on the Disney channel for toddlers. :lol: You can't take it seriously :lol: Now they've made Goku team up with Freeza :lol:

DBGT is way better.
fadeddreams5 wrote:Up until the Black arc, Super was a piece of garbage. I can't even watch the dub version on Toonami, yet I love tuning into Kai - Final Chapters. GT is just generally painfully boring. From the Black arc and on, Super has become enjoyable, as long as you shut off your brain and disregard all the retcons, inconsistencies, and, most of all, power gaps.

So the Black arc was enjoyable until the very last episode? :?

The tournament was awful imo. Almost every fight was horrifically animated and/choreographed. There was no ambience; the setting was so dull.The new characters were so poorly developed, I didn't care about any of them, sans Champa, Vados, and Hit. Goku and Vegeta got the only spotlight, despite this being a tournament. And so on.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:34 pm

I thought Vegeta/Cabba, Vegeta/Magnetta, and Goku/Hit were pretty good from the tournament. All 3 of those fights played out differently but were enjoyable to watch for different reasons.

Goku/Botamo, Piccolo/Frost, etc. were pretty dull though.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:03 am

As flawed as Super is, one thing it does miles ahead of GT is keep the viewer interested in what's coming next. The conversation Goku and Freeza had in today's episode has me more excited than anything GT did.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:47 am

sintzu wrote:As flawed as Super is, one thing it does miles ahead of GT is keep the viewer interested in what's coming next. The conversation Goku and Freeza had in today's episode has me more excited than anything GT did.
I honestly have to agree. Even during Super's low points, for some reason I can't stop watching or stop being interested/excited over what's coming next. I don't know why that is either, it's really weird. I guess it makes me feel like a kid/teen again?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:23 am

Watch the past couple episodes. Same opinion on Super as before. Not good. GT still wins for me.
And can we stop with this "I dislike this arc", "what are you talking about, it was great" and "I liked this arc", "what this was HOT FUCKING TRASH" nonsense ? People will dislike and like different things than you, just let them like it/dislike it. Unless it's factually wrong like saying Kanye sucks, that's just false, and I'll fight you if you say otherwise.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:27 am

hectorgf wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:

Tights is not a big problem but still is a problem. It was just an example of these things that came from nothing. It's poor writing.

You're creating explanations, not using the information that the show gave us (because they gave us nothing). Trunks have escaped from Black more than 3 times, even Mai he let escape several times. He can reach face a super saiyan 2 in the base form, dude, he can just wink and everyone is dead, hahaha.

If we are gonna think this way, even GT doesn't have any errors. Because we need just make out an explanation for every incoherence of the series.
Yeah, Tights is a problem, but not the kinda of problem that can make Super worse than GT.

About explanations, I'm just basing them in Dragon Ball universe. The universe of the series has its own logic, and even if the show does not show a clear and specific explanation, we can make supositions about them. The storytelling is just not so expositive.

The question about GT looking by this way is that, the series go even far the previews logic of the series. More than Super.
hectorgf wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:

The tournament was mediocre.It resumed to battles, and battles depend on animation, and the only some short cuts from Vegeta vs Magetta made by Masahiro Shimanuki, and the battle with Hit was good or enjoyable.
In general, the only episodes that were kind of good was Vegeta vs Cabba (but just because of the emotional charge because the animation was terrible), Vegeta vs Hit and Goku vs Hit (just the first part of the fight, until the Kamehameha Kaioh-ken part).

But I agree with you that is better than Black's arc, I really can't think anything worse than this arc including every single anime show I've ever seen, but I think the new arc has potential to overcome it because this recruitment arc is an offense

Battles depend of the animation, I agree. But some scenes were fixed or just a bit bettered in the bluray, so that is a point. Anyway, animation is not all. Good fighting scenes have good coreographys, emotional charge, good concepts and strategies. And we could saw those aspects or most of them in the tournment.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:34 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:

DBGT is way better.

So the Black arc was enjoyable until the very last episode? :?

The tournament was awful imo. Almost every fight was horrifically animated and/choreographed. There was no ambience; the setting was so dull.The new characters were so poorly developed, I didn't care about any of them, sans Champa, Vados, and Hit. Goku and Vegeta got the only spotlight, despite this being a tournament. And so on.
Yeah, Black arc was enjoyable.

About the tournment some of the fights had good concepts and good choreography. Frost's needle and Piccolo' strategie to fight him for example, or Kyabe and Vegeta's fists, that were well placed even if the animation wasn't great.

Also, Kyabe was well developed too. Frost maybe can show something good in the tournment now. Monaka was a comedy character, not did for development or bigger stuff. Besides them and Vados, Champa and Hit, we had Botamo and Magetta, that were really mediocre. 2 characters in 8 were disapointing. Really, it's not so bad.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:12 pm

I honestly get more excited with super but i think that is due to the fact that i have rewatched GT like a lot and super is new stuff.I mean despiste liking the last episode the Broly thing it's still fucking weird and there were too much homages for my taste (even thought i liked the animation).But i'm still e xcited because i want to see how are Toei/Toriyama/Toyotaro going to handle this character.
Soppa Saia People wrote:Unless it's factually wrong like saying Kanye sucks, that's just false, and I'll fight you if you say otherwise.
Kany sucks.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:36 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Unless it's factually wrong like saying Kanye sucks, that's just false, and I'll fight you if you say otherwise.
Kany sucks.
FIGHT! FIGHT!
OH Wait!
You said Kany, not Kanye, well no reason to get the popcorn then :P