New digital manga focused on... Yamcha?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Re: New digital manga focused on... Yamcha?

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:01 pm

Cool ending with Beerus and Champa, would love to see an OVA of this.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Hey guys, where can I find the english translation?
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Rubens wrote:Hey guys, where can I find the english translation?
I think I may have seen a link to a ensligh translation in the DBZ sub reddit somewhere. Should still be easy to find at this point in time.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:32 am

The translated version is currently stickied on the r/dbz subreddit (which may only last until the next batch of spoilers/news comes out, but hey, still feels pretty cool :D), and pinned on my Twitter until whenever. I suppose I shouldn't link directly since this is kind of a gray area...

I've long felt affection/sympathy for Yamcha, since he's often treated as no more than the butt of the joke to many fans, and far worse by VegeBul shippers. So I was glad that this spinoff treated him pretty fairly; the reincarnated Yamcha acknowledged that, yeah, he may never catch up to the Saiyans, but he could make different choices to improve his lot in life (even if that meant missing out on getting together with Bulma...I guess Trunks was just too cool for him to try to prevent his birth :lol: ). The big lesson learned is that it's far worse to be Chiaotzu than Yamcha :P

I certainly didn't expect that Beerus & Champs were responsible, but it was a great, entertaining reveal. I guess I didn't expect for it to be explained at all, lol. But having that fun, quick aside made me wonder how it might've gone if a certain other former fanartist now gone pro did the same thing... probably with pages of exposition and visual references to past scenes (I'm sorry, I'm getting snarky, but especially after translating this series I far prefer Lee over Toyotarou. Look at the art on his Twitter, the guy is a fucking beast!) I really hope we see more from him officially in the future, he did a great job!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:33 am

Finally read the translation, it's a fun story. Sure it really wasn't Yamcha but it was fun having him get some spotlight. I really did like the fight him and Goku against Vegeta, which was the true highlight for me.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:55 am

I really enjoyed this manga a lot! I just wish it was longer and that they handled this version of Yamcha better. I was disappointed that even after getting his potential unlocked by Guru and training with Nail, he wasn't able to easily defeat Vegeta or become relevant to beating any of the major villains either. Same thing goes for Chiaotzu and he flipped way too quickly also.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:00 am

sailorspazz wrote:So I was glad that this spinoff treated him pretty fairly
I enjoy this story, but no. It doesn't. It's practically a middle finger to Yamcha
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:38 am

Kanassa wrote:
I enjoy this story, but no. It doesn't. It's practically a middle finger to Yamcha
Yes and No, on one had, they made him a bad ass like taking on all the Saibaman and going toe to toe with Vegeta, but on the other had, it really wasn't Yamcha. Just a pervert that took over his body.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:08 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Yes and No, on one had, they made him a bad ass like taking on all the Saibaman and going toe to toe with Vegeta, but on the other had, it really wasn't Yamcha. Just a pervert that took over his body.
You just contradicted yourself. It's not Yamcha doing it, so it's not making Yamcha badass, in fact it's making Yamcha look much more incompetent. Especially when it's some random high school student.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 am

Kanassa wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
Kanassa wrote: I enjoy this story, but no. It doesn't. It's practically a middle finger to Yamcha
You just contradicted yourself. It's not Yamcha doing it, so it's not making Yamcha badass, in fact it's making Yamcha look much more incompetent. Especially when it's some random high school student.
That's why I said yes and no ha ha

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:37 pm

I wonder if DGL will be commissioned to draw again!?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Volume Cover and Back Cover
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
It will be released in 02 November 2017, the same day than DBS Volume 4. I'm not sure why Shueisha is doing this, but it will be fun to see how they compare to each other.
Xeztin wrote:I wonder if DGL will be commissioned to draw again!?
I would love his Dragon Ball Sai work to get more recognition, but Shueisha's involvement would be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it would make him focus on that again and as an official production it would be more popular, but on the other hand he wouldn't have free pass to do everything like he wanted, which could be a good or bad thing.

But yeah he's my favourite DB artist, so I would like him to be more officially involved with the franchise. As long as it's not a spin-off manga about a videogame, it should be fun.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Those look great!
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Kanassa wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
Kanassa wrote: I enjoy this story, but no. It doesn't. It's practically a middle finger to Yamcha
It`s a random junior high using Yamcha`s body, skill and physical potential. I`m not sure how it makes anyone look particularly incompetent when characters who went through the experiences first hand weren`t in the known of what the future held for them, not to mention knowledge of things they wouldn`t get to know in the course of the story.

I guess it`s because Yamcha wasn`t the one given that advantage but someone breaking the 4th Wall instead?

Still, his body, his potential. 50/50. Not perfect but not bad either and at this point any project showcasing that potential won`t hurt.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 am

I hope this will be licensed here for the Kindle

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:43 pm

I hope the paper version will get translated into french and released in France. I want to own this.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Viz need to translate this,this is totally something worth collecting
Mostly active on discord.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:22 pm

This has looked to be fairly impressive.

I hope Akira Toriyama takes a glance at it, even if it leads to nothing more than feedback.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:20 pm

https://tenseiyamcha.shonenjump.com

The "reincarnation lottery" has a secret character...:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:32 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: I hope Akira Toriyama takes a glance at it, even if it leads to nothing more than feedback.
Toriyama knows about it since the beginning and he also gave some advices:
–What was Toriyama-sensei‘s response?
We consulted with him during the planning stages. We thought he was going to veto it, but he very generously gave his consent.
We also showed him the storyboards, and he gave ideas for improving it. He said the completed manuscript was funny, which made me very happy.

–What sort of improvements did Toriyama suggest?
He said the protagonist should die in a funny way, and also outlined the protagonist’s personality; pointers like that on how to make it easier for readers to get into the story.
You can read the full interview here.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.