New digital manga focused on... Yamcha?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Re: New digital manga focused on... Yamcha?

Post by Xeztin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:31 pm

For anyone curious, Dragon's past works (For those that don't follow the doujinshi world much) are 4 books about if Vegeta went to Earth instead of Goku called (Dragon Ball Sai or Super Vegeta Den in the fan thread on here) and DB X Saitama a cross over of Dragon Ball and Saitama.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't get how this is good for Yamcha fans, when it's not Yamcha, but someone else entirely in Yamcha's body. It's like saying that Goku Black's existence is good for Goku fans, it's not, it barely affected Goku's character.
I agree with u on this one

But it was fun nonetheless
My English is poor .

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:45 pm

It's interesting I will say that. Though I would have preferred a story where Yamcha is with his baseball team, and they are challenged to an intergalactic baseball game.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:32 pm

Better than anything Super has done recently, Goku Black excluded.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't get how this is good for Yamcha fans, when it's not Yamcha, but someone else entirely in Yamcha's body. It's like saying that Goku Black's existence is good for Goku fans, it's not, it barely affected Goku's character.

Nevertheless, this was entertaining and I'm glad that Lee is finally getting to work on official DB material. I'm guessing it was mostly his DBxOPM crossovers that got him attention in the first place.
A better example would be Zamasu taking over Gohans body and doing a better job with it and being more relevant than Gohan by himself. That's basically what's happening here.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:21 pm

OH MY GOD!!

This has all the makings to be something truly spectacular. I can't wait to read this in English. :lol: :P :clap:

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:59 am

I won't go linking it here because of the rules, but if you go onto the DBZ subreddit thread for this manga, you'll find that uh, a certain someone, has posted a translated version of it up.

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:20 am

It's a really interesting concept with a character reborn as Yamcha knowing what's going to happen.
Maybe they went to fast to the Saiyan arc, but I'm curious how this will affect the relationship with Bulma later in the story.
I know a bit Japanese, so I could actually follow some dialogues, so it's learning in a fun way :)

Can't wait for chapter 2 & 3.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:40 am

Yamcha is one of my favourite characters too and this is like an earlier christmas present! I even felt chills when I read the article, I can't believe its actually an official spin-off. Despite not being exactly Yamcha, it really identifies with the feeling a fan would have if they woke up as Yamcha, at least to myself.

By the way, I found the 1st chapter translated somewhere on imgur but I'm not suppose to post links I think, so here's the hint.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:31 am

I don't think it's canon. But at least Yamcha fans will be overjoyed.

And it's cool that Toriyama is allowing this.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:34 pm

Just remembered Sorachi Hideaki (Gintama mangaka) is a big Yamcha fan. He's most likely satisfied with this spin-off.
Maybe Gintoki will even mention this accomplishment in Gintama soon. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:42 pm

It is really cool, it's a shame they went straight to the saiyan saga and didn't show other things. I'd love if this gets an anime series :lol: :lol: .

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:56 am

this is very interesting and promising

this opens a door to all sorts of Dragon Ball spinoffs

we could see more spin off manga, and maybe even spinoff anime, about wide ranges of things

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:55 am

Xeztin wrote:For anyone curious, Dragon's past works (For those that don't follow the doujinshi world much) are 4 books about if Vegeta went to Earth instead of Goku called (Dragon Ball Sai or Super Vegeta Den in the fan thread on here) and DB X Saitama a cross over of Dragon Ball and Saitama.
I really hope Shueisha publish the Vegeta den stories, and that they get translated internationally! And why not have a mini spin-off series animated with this?!

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:08 am

Wow! I did not realize he also did Vegeta Den. I thought that was pretty good, so I'm even more interested.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:43 pm

sangofe wrote:
Xeztin wrote:For anyone curious, Dragon's past works (For those that don't follow the doujinshi world much) are 4 books about if Vegeta went to Earth instead of Goku called (Dragon Ball Sai or Super Vegeta Den in the fan thread on here) and DB X Saitama a cross over of Dragon Ball and Saitama.
I really hope Shueisha publish the Vegeta den stories, and that they get translated internationally! And why not have a mini spin-off series animated with this?!
I'm working on having the Vegeta Dens translated if it never happens :)

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:43 pm

This manga's purpose seems funny to me. I will check it without a doubt.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:09 am

I'm amazed they didn't draw the whole thing in the god awful Yamamuro style or Cell/Buu arc style (which, for some reason, every fan draws it that way...). Instead, the artist actually replicated the art from each era! That's amazing! They have collar bones :lol: (they disappeared somewhere in the Cyborg arc, although, I'm not sure exactly when). They have the black noses rather than the huge honkers they have had since the Cell arc! Amazing.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:55 pm

If this room recruits further, I really hope they'd recruit Malik and eventually release his DBNA, although I don't see that happening as he's not japanese.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:57 pm

Attitudefan wrote:I'm amazed they didn't draw the whole thing in the god awful Yamamuro style or Cell/Buu arc style (which, for some reason, every fan draws it that way...). Instead, the artist actually replicated the art from each era! That's amazing! They have collar bones :lol: (they disappeared somewhere in the Cyborg arc, although, I'm not sure exactly when). They have the black noses rather than the huge honkers they have had since the Cell arc! Amazing.
I don't think he replicated it intentionally. That's just the artist's style, he's stuck at the Saiyan arc.