New digital manga focused on... Yamcha?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: New digital manga focused on... Yamcha?

Post by Terez » Wed May 10, 2017 8:37 am

Sailorspazz kindly posted her translation on Reddit. I think that's kosher to post here because it's free and unlicensed (??), but if not I'm sure a mod will remove it.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 pm

Cipher wrote:I can't tell if it's supposed to be a voice-over from God continuing from the previous page or if it's coming from someone else in the group, but the big reveal on the last page is that someone else has also been reborn and can sense the truth about Yamcha. They wonder what life (numerically) he's on.

Big joke this chapter was that despite planning carefully for the events on the series, Yamcha still forgot the Saiyans arrived earlier than expected (staying on Namek to train with Nail for several months). He also wonders what's going to happen to him now that all the humans have tapped out their ways of leveling up.
If it is not Tien Shinhan, it might be Vegeta.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Final chapter is out. Herms has been translating it on his Twitter.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Seeing Yamcha and Chiaotzu fight almost makes me wish Super gave them an arc protecting Earth while everyone else is away at the tournament.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:57 pm

That was a fun final chapter. I hope Lee gets to do more db manga in the future.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 pm

The art was odd,look at cell,Champa,Beerus they look weird i think is because lee is stuck in the saiyan saga artstyle
    The match between Chiaotzu vs yamcha was not engaging to see but there dialogue was entertaining,mentioning Dokkan and trivial thing
      This side story was ok not the most memorable thing out there,I really hope lee writes more side stories
      Mostly active on discord.

Baggie_Saiyan
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:17 pm

The gr wrote:The art was odd,look at cell,Champa,Beerus they look weird i think is because lee is stuck in the saiyan saga artstyle
        The match between Chiaotzu vs yamcha was not engaging to see but there dialogue was entertaining,mentioning Dokkan and trivial thing
          This side story was ok not the most memorable thing out there,I really hope lee writes more side stories
          Yeah the art wasn't great at all, which is disappointing considering it took like 8 months for 3 chapters, yes he mentioned when the last chapter came out a lot of his work didn't make the cut but still, that in of itself isn't promising that a lot of his work is getting cut out.

ekrolo2
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Man, and I thought the Gods were uber cunts before, this takes them to a whole new levels of douche bags.
          When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Steven Bloodriver
          I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:41 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Man, and I thought the Gods were uber cunts before, this takes them to a whole new levels of douche bags.
          Hopefully, the Zenos fix this and more.

ekrolo2
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:49 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:
          ekrolo2 wrote:Man, and I thought the Gods were uber cunts before, this takes them to a whole new levels of douche bags.
          Hopefully, the Zenos fix this and more.
          Please, if the GoDs are playing with two people's lives, the Grand Priest and Zeno are Crusader Kingsing 2 the shit out of the multiverse.
          When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

FortuneSSJ
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:58 pm

-Chapter 3-

The interactions between the two students reincarnated as Yamcha and Chaozu is by far the best thing of this spin-off. It's so well done!
          Yamcha didn't get any scars on this face. I like that detail too.

Overall it was a great spin-off but I'm disappointed with the ending. I was expecting Yamcha to get Bulma and have kids with her before returning to the real world.

Anyway, this is still something I'm not interested in seeing animated. With so much potential stories they can do, waste resources on animating this spin-off seems like a bad move.

I hope Shueisha keeps giving value to Lee though. He's amazing and deserves more recognition. As long as he doesn't stop doing the greatness that is DB Sai, it's good. :P
          A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

GreatSaiyaJeff
          Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:49 am

I have too say the 2nd chapter was probably the best but this one was pretty neat too. I hope they release it as a tankobon ( think I spelled it right) and get a English release, because it would look neat next to the 42 volumes of the original series.
          "I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheBigBoy
          Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Never expected it would lead to a confrontation between Yamcha and Chaozu! Then a bit of a cop out ending...but whatever!

Fun story, but I originally thought it was going to show how Yamcha could be a world beater. Looks like the best he got was helping out Goku during the Vegeta fight. Did they ever explain what happened during the Freeza saga?

Kinda sucks that even with EVERY advantage, within the logic of the series, there's no way for Yamcha to keep up with the Saiyans or the stronger villains.

Robo4900
          I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:58 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I hope they release it as a tankobon ( think I spelled it right) and get a English release, because it would look neat next to the 42 volumes of the original series.
          Agreed. Would love to have this.

I'm not aware of a proper English translation of part 3 yet, but I have very much enjoyed the first two. :)

("Tankobon" and "Tankoubon" are both valid spellings of it, although "Tankobon" is more intuitively reflective of its pronunciation in standard English, since "Tankoubon" implies the middle "Oh" sound is pronounced like the word "Ow")
          The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

FortuneSSJ
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
          GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I hope they release it as a tankobon ( think I spelled it right) and get a English release, because it would look neat next to the 42 volumes of the original series.
          Looks like there will be a print edition in November, according to Herms.

Steven Bloodriver
          I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:26 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:Never expected it would lead to a confrontation between Yamcha and Chaozu! Then a bit of a cop out ending...but whatever!

Fun story, but I originally thought it was going to show how Yamcha could be a world beater. Looks like the best he got was helping out Goku during the Vegeta fight. Did they ever explain what happened during the Freeza saga?

Kinda sucks that even with EVERY advantage, within the logic of the series, there's no way for Yamcha to keep up with the Saiyans or the stronger villains.
          1) Perhaps you and a few others would have to wait until pretty much everything consisting of the presumed final chapter is translated to find out.

2) Instead of having went to Planet Namek, Yamcha could have asked Kami to go alongside Goku to train under King Kai in the Otherworld until the two days before the Saiyans would have appeared to return to Earth and then enter the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with young Gohan and then Mr. Piccolo. Which would have given Yamcha enough strength to take on Vegeta by himself, with his three even stronger sparring partners: Goku, Gohan, and Piccolo being there to help him if he truly needed it.

floofychan333
          Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:59 pm

I'm excited for the last chapter, hopefully it gets a translation soon. Lee's art is almost identical to Toriyama's...kind of brilliant.
          "All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TekTheNinja
          I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:49 pm

It's strange and bittersweet. I have a love-hate relationship with any recent Yamcha material. I love that Yamcha gets attention, but I hate that he only gets attention as a joke. The last truly badass Yamcha scene that wasn't at all a joke was his souki-dan in Yo Son Goku and Friends.

GreatSaiyaJeff
          Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:54 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
          Robo4900 wrote:
          Looks like there will be a print edition in November, according to Herms.
          Cool hopefully it will get an English release
          "I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

FortuneSSJ
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Just read chapter 3 translated.
          By far the best one of the three. It was even better than I expected!

- I'm impressed how deep their knowledge of DB story goes to the point of Yamcha getting some senzus before Yajirobe give the last ones to Goku.

- Chaozu saying that it's easier to live as Yamcha.

- Chaozu regretting he shouldn't have became a bad guy since he loves Dragon Ball so much hit me in the feels. The bond they created as two DB hardcore fans while talking about their real lives is really well done.

- They addressed the fact Yamcha didn't marry Bulma even like this. My only problem with this spin-off.

- Yamcha recognizing he can't do much after Saiyan arc and that he will just take it easy and enjoy life.

I like how everything started with a game between Beerus and Champa. Dragon Ball will never be the same without these two.

"For a second there, I thought you might have caused that gust of wind. There's no way you could do a move straight out of Dragon Ball like that." I can't think of a better way to end this spin-off than those two last pages.

Yamcha not getting any scars on his face and the last chapter having the same title than the original manga last chapter are nice details.

If I had to rank the chapters: Chapter 3 > Chapter 2 > Chapter 1

Thanks to Sailorspazz for the great translation.
          Shot out to Shueisha for the original idea and for picking up Lee to do it. There wasn't someone better for the job.

Give me more! :thumbup: