New digital manga focused on... Yamcha?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: New digital manga focused on... Yamcha?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:51 am

Squeeeee! I'm not exactly sure what's going on half the time, but, at least by the end, I was getting the general idea, and I'm swooning. Between this and the most recent episode of Super (which I really need to get around to seeing before it's spoiled for me), this seems like a good time to be a Yamucha fan. =P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:15 am

So it is basically a Yamcha fan, who ends up in a coma and dreams about being Yamcha. Cool, I guess?
On another note perhaps the first of many character specific stories?

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:04 am

I think that the idea of a real life person becoming Yamcha and entering Dragon World is pretty great, the art is amazing, and well, it's really fresh seeing yamcha reigning supreme in this story! will be checking every chapter
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:28 am

Shit, how do I read this ASAP?

Will
Beyond Newbie

Post by Will » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:34 am

It look funny, I hope the pace will be slower for the next chapters.
Yamcha already avoided his scars.

I hope we see fun stuff like Tiencha to keep Yamcha on the level.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:18 am

I don't get how this is good for Yamcha fans, when it's not Yamcha, but someone else entirely in Yamcha's body. It's like saying that Goku Black's existence is good for Goku fans, it's not, it barely affected Goku's character.

Nevertheless, this was entertaining and I'm glad that Lee is finally getting to work on official DB material. I'm guessing it was mostly his DBxOPM crossovers that got him attention in the first place.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:48 am

Nice, hopefully this is one of many new instalments (either one shots or entire series) to come from the Dragon Ball Room.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:57 am

Chuquita wrote:
Ajay wrote:This is by @dragongarowLEE, one of my favourite Dragon Ball doujin artists. It's great to see him working in an official capacity now. Very well deserved.
I've seen his work! I didn't realize this was him. That's really cool he got a job at Shueisha!
So this is probably part of Toei's "creative room" thing?

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:24 am

Is this a product of the newly established "Dragon Ball Room" or is this something else?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:15 pm

Woooo!! A spin-off with Yamcha as the main character? AND he's doing everything he can to attempt to keep onto Goku's level? This is awesome! Also, I'm a bit surpiersed that the guywho does those DB x OPM crossvoer stories is doing this. Congrats to him! Honestly, I think this is another work from the Dragon Ball Room.

Wait a minute, this Yamcha-focused story...I've read this somewhere before...

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11484376/1 ... f-the-Same

The difference in the fanfic is that Yamcha, ALONGSIDE Krillin, Tien, and Chiaotzu go back in time, thanks to a poorly-worded wish from Yamcha that Shenron overhears. (DBGT, anyone?) As a result, Yamcha decides to get stronger and take the opportunity to change his life alongside Krillin, so they can keep up with Goku.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:45 pm

We need to get this translated, whether it be officially or not. :thumbup:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:17 pm

People only say Toyotaro is the right and only successor of Toriyama, because they don't know any other japanese artists.
Toyotaro is awesome, but @dragongarowLEE is a beast and much more talented than him. I'm glad Shueisha recognized his talent and pick him up.

Most Vegeta's fanboys don't even know about his Super Vegeta Den spin-off, otherwhise they would fangasm over that 24/7.
I would love this one to get a official release and an Anime Special.

There are still other talented artists on the line waiting for recognition, like @youngjijii and masa @si000859m.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:36 pm

So a Shonen Jump fan loses consciousness and has a dream he's Yamcha. He plays out Yamcha's life in the early Dragonball story, but instead of spending time with Bulma he goes training to avoid death by Saibamen. Apparently he gets a power up from Guru in order to survive an attack by the Saibamen. Pretty good stuff. :thumbup:

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:57 pm

Just finished taking a look at this. Personally I think this is great. It was actually suspenseful because I thought he was still going to die. An it gives hope to some other side stories and expanding the DB universe. This has to be because of the DB Room and I can't wait to see what else comes of it. Great time to be a dragonball fan. I can't believe that I used to think that DB died years ago.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:08 pm

I'm quite fond of this artist! I discovered him thanks to his Dragon Ball & One Punch Man crossovers. I'm happy to see he's been picked up and the story he created is fun, too. I got a kick when it was noted stories like that were done often in light of current trends. I focus on the most minor details, I know, but I enjoy how he drew Bluma's bracelets in this panel.
sangofe wrote:So this is probably part of Toei's "creative room" thing?
ShadowBardock89 wrote:Is this a product of the newly established "Dragon Ball Room" or is this something else?
It could be, but I sincerely doubt that's the case here. JulieYBM covered it well, but this is the standard artist recruitment spell publishers have. Ooishi, Toyotaro, and other Dragon Ball artists were discovered via the same methods. I suppose it's fair speculation they suggested/requested this story, but considering his like for Yamcha before being hired, I doubt that, too.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:16 pm

LuckyCat wrote:So a Shonen Jump fan loses consciousness and has a dream he's Yamcha. He plays out Yamcha's life in the early Dragonball story, but instead of spending time with Bulma he goes training to avoid death by Saibamen. Apparently he gets a power up from Guru in order to survive an attack by the Saibamen. Pretty good stuff. :thumbup:
My big beef with this is that him learning and mastering the kaioken would be far more relevant later on as his power grew. Whatever Guru unlocked would be exponentially multiplied.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:25 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:People only say Toyotaro is the right and only successor of Toriyama, because they don't know any other japanese artists.
Toyotaro is awesome, but @dragongarowLEE is a beast and much more talented than him. I'm glad Shueisha recognized his talent and pick him up.

Most Vegeta's fanboys don't even know about his Super Vegeta Den spin-off, otherwhise they would fangasm over that 24/7.
I would love this one to get a official release and an Anime Special.

There are still other talented artists on the line waiting for recognition, like @youngjijii and masa @si000859m.
Lee may be more talented (that's debatable) but his art is stuck at the Saiyan arc (and YoungJiji's seems stuck at the Cell/Boo arc). Toyotaro's seems like a continuation of Toriyama's style post Boo.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Nejishiki wrote:I'm quite fond of this artist! I discovered him thanks to his Dragon Ball & One Punch Man crossovers. I'm happy to see he's been picked up and the story he created is fun, too. I got a kick when it was noted stories like that were done often in light of current trends. I focus on the most minor details, I know, but I enjoy how he drew Bluma's bracelets in this panel.
sangofe wrote:So this is probably part of Toei's "creative room" thing?
ShadowBardock89 wrote:Is this a product of the newly established "Dragon Ball Room" or is this something else?
It could be, but I sincerely doubt that's the case here. JulieYBM covered it well, but this is the standard artist recruitment spell publishers have. Ooishi, Toyotaro, and other Dragon Ball artists were discovered via the same methods. I suppose it's fair speculation they suggested/requested this story, but considering his like for Yamcha before being hired, I doubt that, too.
What I meant is that it seems like this room is out there to recruit talent with different angles and ideas for Dragon Ball to release lots of different things, like this thing. Maybe it could lead to short ova's or tv series that don't follow the main story, too. Who knows?

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Can't say much without translation but it looks very interesting. I'm glad that they hired another great artist. Now they should hire Young Jijii and Malik.

visser

Post by visser » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Wait wait, is this officially published work? DB is getting worse than all the starwars official add-on's